Anyway to s off apart from xtc clip

Search This thread

adz63

Aug 11, 2010
London/Surrey
My gf has this pile of junk and i wanna root it but can't find anything apart from get an xtc clip. Is there another way to do it yet . I see alpharev also has nothing also

astro11

Oct 10, 2011
Quebec
No, there's no way to get S-OFF apart from using a XTC Clip.
What you can get is a temp root while S-ON, but without write permission in system directories.

I'm not sure about this (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe you can't even flash OTA Factory ROMs without S-OFFing this phone.

qbert456

Jul 21, 2010
It is what it is, if you want a high end android look elsewhere- if you want a keyboard there ain't many options.

It could be better I agree- but junk?

I prefer it to a desire-z that I had before!

Sent from my A810e using Tapatalk

astro11

Oct 10, 2011
Quebec
Does anyone tried androidadvices.com/root-install-custom-recovery-htc-chacha-tutorial ?

curious. i'll try this when I go home tonight.
since I'm in Brazil, I had to unlock my phone... paid 10 USD for it. it's just a code, there are a lot of websites which generate them automagically if you send your ChaCha's IMEI and 10 bucks.

liderzre

Sep 20, 2008
Fulda
curious. i'll try this when I go home tonight.
since I'm in Brazil, I had to unlock my phone... paid 10 USD for it. it's just a code, there are a lot of websites which generate them automagically if you send your ChaCha's IMEI and 10 bucks.

In my country paypal don't work. 10 bucks is not problem, but how to pay 10$ is problem :)

astro11

Oct 10, 2011
Quebec
That doesn't tell us how to S-OFF. Just install a recovery, which we already have a guide for.

but we can't install a custom recovery being S-ON. can we?
actually, I'm trying to understand what S-ON users can do... I already know that it's impossible to install OTA ROMs, but it's possible to temproot if you have a specific ROM version.

well, I think I've read so many posts and threads that I'm already confusing the information on my head.

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
but we can't install a custom recovery being S-ON. can we?
actually, I'm trying to understand what S-ON users can do... I already know that it's impossible to install OTA ROMs, but it's possible to temproot if you have a specific ROM version.

well, I think I've read so many posts and threads that I'm already confusing the information on my head.
Truly, you are confused :)

S-ON users have little power of their mobile device.. They cannot install a custom recovery, a custom rom, a different area/language rom (for example, I cannot install Asia rom on my Europe ChaCha since the CIDs are different) and so on. Yet I find it hard to believe that flashing CWM over the S-ON HBOOT will give you S-OFF. The engineering S-ON is a security flag set for bootloader protection.
If anyone wants to try this, feel free to do it but don't get your hopes up and don't be mad if it won't work. As you can see in the link, on the last page, they have a screenshot with a so called S-OFF'ed device, yet HBOOT is still S-ON. So there is no proof of it.

BuddyJoe83

Nov 15, 2011
Last edited:

ladyhaly

Jan 2, 2011
Gapan City
No, there's no way to get S-OFF apart from using a XTC Clip.
What you can get is a temp root while S-ON, but without write permission in system directories.

I'm not sure about this (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe you can't even flash OTA Factory ROMs without S-OFFing this phone.

It's true. I've tried and tried so many times and it's a no go. I hate S-ON. :'(

you cannot apply OTA updates, but can flash official RUU using the gold card method

I'll try this next... I hope it works because I just really want my stock ROM back.... My old working stock ROM... Stupid of me not to make a Nandroid backup via CWM when all was working fine.... :'(