[APP][ROOT][KT] Fast Charge Toggle widget

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I love @ktoonsez kernel :D I also LOVE his fast charging option. Was using schools computer to charge and was charging at 900 mA :D love it.

Got tired of going through the app to toggle this. So i made a widget that can be placed on the home screen or the lock screen. Im sorry, the image is hideous. xD wasnt too sure of what to use as an image so bear with me xD

Just install the APK then either on your home screen or your lock screen add a widget :) and select Fast Charge Toggle. Done. Will prolly work on other kernels with fast charging option but only tested on @ktoonsez kernel :)

Attachments

• FastChargingWidget.apk
    310.1 KB · Views: 38,673

SinCityAtNight

Aug 23, 2013
Las Vegas
Like the idea, but what does fast charging do ultimately to you're overall battery life and health long-term?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
From almost totally dead, it takes me about two hours for a full charge with normal charging.

I've never bothered with tweaking charging settings. How much faster would fast charging accomplish the same thing?

The fast charging kernel tweaks are only for USB devices. Like from a computer, stereo unit, cigarette lighter. Not from the wall outlet.

Like the idea, but what does fast charging do ultimately to you're overall battery life and health long-term?

It has no side effect on the battery. The stock charger has I think like 2a charging power, most computers have only 500mA. Fast charging simply tricks the kernel into thinking it's plugged into a wall outlet and charges at the full power available. The only side affect is that it could ruin the USB port. However after two years of using it I have never seen any issues myself nor have I read any.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: SinCityAtNight

ToledoG28

Mar 19, 2012
Ponce
Not my experience. I have to desagree. I always use fast charge and using a wall outlet works better that any other mentioned before. Im not a developer, just a happy user. But works different for me. I can tell what are you saying is not always true for all users.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Not my experience. I have to desagree. I always use fast charge and using a wall outlet works better that any other mentioned before. Im not a developer, just a happy user. But works different for me. I can tell what are you saying is not always true for all users.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

According to what I personally saw in the source code and what @ktoonsez said, the fast charging gets ignored when it's an ac charger. Just going off of source code and what the code actually does. Might just be a placebo effect on your end all in all tho fast charging sure is the best thing since sliced bread xD

MrPapito429

Sep 28, 2011
New York
According to what I personally saw in the source code and what @ktoonsez said, the fast charging gets ignored when it's an ac charger. Just going off of source code and what the code actually does. Might just be a placebo effect on your end all in all tho fast charging sure is the best thing since sliced bread xD

Why is it that when I charge and use off the charger, my phone gets hot quick. I revoke SU permissions and reboot then my phone is cool so am I doing something wrong. I'm on virginrom2.3

Sent from my GE4.3 M919 using xda premium

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Why is it that when I charge and use off the charger, my phone gets hot quick. I revoke SU permissions and reboot then my phone is cool so am I doing something wrong. I'm on virginrom2.3

What do you mean? I do not understand at all what you are trying to say..

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
When superuser asks permission and I grant it, the phone charges fast, but whether its charging or not, it gets hot very quickly

I have no idea. Nothing is happening until you click on the widget then it executes the code and dies right away. Get a task manager (preferably SystemTuner) and see whats eating your CPU.

devynbf

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks a lot.

I use fast charge a lot and this makes it much easier!

jaytee84

Dec 10, 2010
SGV
Thank you!! Been looking for something like this...my wall plug for my charger is far in my office so with this I can charge from my computer monitor!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

92drls

Jul 25, 2009
Behind you
I have a car charger that has a spare USB plug on it. If I use the actual car charger it charges as normal, but when I plug in the white USB cord that came with the phone into the same car charger it definitely charges almost twice as fast. Living proof. I was on a road trip using GPS and LTE while streaming music. While on the car charger it would almost not charge at all, just supplement enough to not drop in percentage. Then, when I switch to the other USB it charges up no problem.. Really works.

chowhoundb

Sep 11, 2011
Elesbb,

First off, Thank you for making this and sharing it to the community. I have been looking for something just like this. Comes in very handy.

I don't know if you update this anymore, but I was wondering if you could make a choice for different icons for the widget. If not, no big deal, the icon is just a little too cartoon-y for me.

Thank you!

re: charging mod

The fast charging kernel tweaks are only for USB devices. Like from a computer, stereo unit, cigarette lighter. Not from the wall outlet.

It has no side effect on the battery. The stock charger has I think like 2a charging power, most computers have only 500mA. Fast charging simply tricks the kernel into thinking it's plugged into a wall outlet and charges at the full power available. The only side affect is that it could ruin the USB port. However after two years of using it I have never seen any issues myself nor have I read any.

I just googled "maximum usb milliamp output from a standard computer usb port" and to my
surprise I must have found at least 25 links which I read that deals with this subject.

And all of them specifically point out that a normal laptop or desktop computer's usb port puts
out a maximum of 500 milliamps unless someone has some special usb pci/pcie card installed
inside their home computers, I never seen any that do but it is possible that such a card exists.

So this mod would really not do anything at all, it would not charge faster and it could not hurt
the usb ports of any computer since it cannot change the max. milliamp output of the usb port.

Now if we had some kind of special program which we install in our computers to allow the usb
ports to put out 2amps (2000 milliamps) then it would charge just as fast as our wall AC chargers do.

But modifying anything inside our phones cannot change the fact that it's the computer and it's usb
ports which determines what the maximum amount of milliamps that it can output.

Look at it this way, if you have a 5 gallon gas can you cannot pour 10 gallons of gasoline out of it.

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I just googled "maximum usb milliamp output from a standard computer usb port" and to my
surprise I must have found at least 25 links which I read that deals with this subject.

And all of them specifically point out that a normal laptop or desktop computer's usb port puts
out a maximum of 500 milliamps unless someone has some special usb pci/pcie card installed
inside their home computers, I never seen any that do but it is possible that such a card exists.

So this mod would really not do anything at all, it would not charge faster and it could not hurt
the usb ports of any computer since it cannot change the max. milliamp output of the usb port.

Now if we had some kind of special program which we install in our computers to allow the usb
ports to put out 2amps (2000 milliamps) then it would charge just as fast as our wall AC chargers do.

But modifying anything inside our phones cannot change the fact that it's the computer and it's usb

Look at it this way, if you have a 5 gallon gas can you cannot pour 10 gallons of gasoline out of it.

The maker of this (ktoonsez) stated this in his thread. However, a lot of computers (newer ones) do have higher power outputs to power things like external hard drives, cooling fans... etc. For instance, mine, when paired with the fast charging mod, outputs 700ma but without, stays at 500ma. So while you are correct, there are a lot of computers (especially newer) that do have huger output ratings. This is clearly seen when my external hard drive won't work on my grandfather's dinosaur computer (even his new printer has issues). But plugged into my laptop, it's has no problem.

Also, I believe USB 3.0 has a 1amp output.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Misterjunky
re: charging mods

The maker of this (ktoonsez) stated this in his thread. However, a lot of computers (newer ones) do have higher power outputs to power things like external hard drives, cooling fans... etc. For instance, mine, when paired with the fast charging mod, outputs 700ma but without, stays at 500ma. So while you are correct, there are a lot of computers (especially newer) that do have huger output ratings. This is clearly seen when my external hard drive won't work on my grandfather's dinosaur computer (even his new printer has issues). But plugged into my laptop, it's has no problem.

You know what, you are just about right, I just did some more googling and found
that the usb 3.0 ports on newer computers do have a greater output than 500milliamps.
They have a maximum of 900milliamps, still no where near the 2000milliamp which
the home charger puts out, but it's close to double of the standard usb 2.0 ports.

I read that many newer computers including mine has a dedicated 3.0 port which stays awake
even if we turn the computer off & it continues charging whatever is plugged into the 3.0 port.

So 900milliamps is a lot better than 500milliamps when comparing usb 2.0 to 3.0 however
current is current, the phone itself cannot distinguish between a 500milliamp or 900milliamp
charging rate, if it gets 900ma it will charge a lot faster than if it only gets 500 milliamps.

All cell phones have a safety feature built into their circuitry which prevents us from charging
the phone at a higher rate than what Samsung specifies by plugging it into a charger which puts
out more than 2amps, if the phone did not have that circuitry it would dramatically shorten the life
of the battery.
That's why Samsung ships 2amp home chargers with their phones and not a 2.5 or a 3amp one.

If this mod which is being discussed here defeats the safety feature in the phone's circuitry which
prevents it from being charged too fast then I would highly advise against installing or using it.

The only time a higher rated battery charger should be used is if we have an extended battery
which was rated at let's say 4200milliamps in which case a 3-4 amp charger would be best.

Last edited:
Reactions: elesbb

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
You know what, you are just about right, I just did some more googling and found
that the usb 3.0 ports on newer computers do have a greater output than 500milliamps.
They have a maximum of 900milliamps, still no where near the 2000milliamp which
the home charger puts out, but it's close to double of the standard usb 2.0 ports.

I read that many newer computers including mine has a dedicated 3.0 port which stays awake
even if we turn the computer off & it continues charging whatever is plugged into the 3.0 port.

So 900milliamps is a lot better than 500milliamps when comparing usb 2.0 to 3.0 however
current is current, the phone itself cannot distinguish between a 500milliamp or 900milliamp
charging rate, if it gets 900ma it will charge a lot faster than if it only gets 500 milliamps.

All cell phones have a safety feature built into their circuitry which prevents us from charging
the phone at a higher rate than what Samsung specifies by plugging it into a charger which puts
out more than 2amps, if the phone did not have that circuitry it would dramatically shorten the life
of the battery.
That's why Samsung ships 2amp home chargers with their phones and not a 2.5 or a 3amp one.

If this mod which is being discussed here defeats the safety feature in the phone's circuitry which
prevents it from being charged too fast then I would highly advise against installing or using it.

The only time a higher rated battery charger should be used is if we have an extended battery
which was rated at let's say 4200milliamps in which case a 3-4 amp charger would be best.

It doesn't defeat the security of built in kernel protection. Androids own API has a way to detect if the plug is wall charger or USB. The mod simply tells android OS that the USB charger is an AC charger and to not limit charging to USB levels. That's why USB doesn't work when the mod is enabled. It's no way harmful to the device. Been using it since I've gotten my phone and even back on my s3.

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
I love @ktoonsez kernel :D I also LOVE his fast charging option. Was using schools computer to charge and was charging at 900 mA :D love it.

Got tired of going through the app to toggle this. So i made a widget that can be placed on the home screen or the lock screen. Im sorry, the image is hideous. xD wasnt too sure of what to use as an image so bear with me xD

Just install the APK then either on your home screen or your lock screen add a widget :) and select Fast Charge Toggle. Done. Will prolly work on other kernels with fast charging option but only tested on @ktoonsez kernel :)

You're right!! The widget is the ugliest thing I've ever seen:D but it works perfect! Thank you much!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

re: charging milliamps

It doesn't defeat the security of built in kernel protection. Androids own API has a way to detect if the plug is wall charger or USB. The mod simply tells android OS that the USB charger is an AC charger and to not limit charging to USB levels. That's why USB doesn't work when the mod is enabled. It's no way harmful to the device. Been using it since I've gotten my phone and even back on my s3.

Okay, see what you mean.

Did you know that there are 3 or 4 free apps at the playstore which display the amount of mA
the phone is being charged with at any given time, it also displays the maximum mA that the
charger or usb port can charge. Here are a couple links in case you or anyone is interested:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abmantis.galaxychargingcurrent.free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw

Last edited:
Reactions: elesbb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Since you mentioned Ktoonsez, do you know if he already
    made a kernel for the Note 3? I just got a Note 3 a couple
    days ago and was looking all over for Ktoonsez kernel
    but so far no luck.

Last I saw he doesn't have the time or the device (I think)

From almost totally dead, it takes me about two hours for a full charge with normal charging.

I've never bothered with tweaking charging settings. How much faster would fast charging accomplish the same thing?

How do you disable the fast charging widget after enabling it?

Sent from my LG-H811 using XDA-Developers mobile app