Updating OTA after rooting.

Search This thread

Big4570

Dec 30, 2013
I've been thinking about rooting my G2 for bluetooth sixaxis support but intend on updating too kitkat when it is released.

I'm aware I would loose my root access but will I be able to update OTA once the update arrives? Or will restoring the phone be required?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
I've been thinking about rooting my G2 for bluetooth sixaxis support but intend on updating too kitkat when it is released.

I'm aware I would loose my root access but will I be able to update OTA once the update arrives? Or will restoring the phone be required?

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

As mentioned a zillion times, accepting OTA with root or custom recovery is a one way street to Bricksville

Dick Ripple

Jul 24, 2010
Memphis
I would root and flash a stock based ROM. After kitkat is released someone will make a new ROM from the update.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
So after rooting there's no way to go back to entirely stock LG ROM for OTAS in the future?

ziociccio

Jan 20, 2008
Hi.
If i will root the phone and will maintaine stock recovery,i wil able to receive ota update ?

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 con Tapatalk 2

Hi.
If i will root the phone and will maintaine stock recovery,i wil able to receive ota update ?

Perhaps not advisable just in case.......however, if you are completely stock including stock recovery but you have rooted you can install an ota successfully. At least it worked for me. :) I received an ota notice whilst on 10a (and whilst very drunk) and whilst rooted stock and it updated successfully to 10f. Also, my root was still in tact.
I wouldn't advise to try this until it has been clarified by someone of greater knowledge than myself however. At the moment, many are of the opinion that this may brick your device. If I had have been sober, I wouldn't have tried this and it may just be the case that I have been lucky. :D

nms247

May 7, 2011
London
Perhaps not advisable just in case.......however, if you are completely stock including stock recovery but you have rooted you can install an ota successfully. At least it worked for me. :) I received an ota notice whilst on 10a (and whilst very drunk) and whilst rooted stock and it updated successfully to 10f. Also, my root was still in tact.
I wouldn't advise to try this until it has been clarified by someone of greater knowledge than myself however. At the moment, many are of the opinion that this may brick your device. If I had have been sober, I wouldn't have tried this and it may just be the case that I have been lucky. :D

Taking the OTA when rooted is fine as long as you have the stock recovery. If you have twrp or cwm then it's bootloop time where you just boot to recovery. If that happens and you have access to adb you can delete the fota and it'll boot normally again.

ziociccio

Jan 20, 2008
Ok.
Then,i can root,maintaning stock recovery and i can receive ota without problems or bootloop after update.
You confirm? :)