[ROM][OFFICIAL][KitKat 4.4.4][N1] (11-16-14) PAC-man 4.4.4.RC-3

Search This thread

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
I think I've fixed the problem. What I did was deleting the default apn in the setting and manually adding the virgin mobile. That seems to solve the problem as it hasn't lost the connection since. Basically, nothing is wrong with the rom. It just didn't pull the correct apn setting. It should have pulled virgin setting, not the EE setting - virgin uk rents EE network. I recalled the similar problem with oppo find 3. I'm sorry for all the fuss but thank you so much for your attention.

On another note, is there a way to change the shutting down splash screen? I managed to change the booting up screen, but not the rebooting. I prefer something more subtle and clean line. Otherwise, great rom and loving it!

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trialsrider1

Account currently disabled
Nov 10, 2010
GB
I think I've fixed the problem. What I did was deleting the default apn in the setting and manually adding the virgin mobile. That seems to solve the problem as it hasn't lost the connection since. Basically, nothing is wrong with the rom. It just didn't pull the correct apn setting. It should have pulled virgin setting, not the EE setting - virgin uk rents EE network. I recalled the similar problem with oppo find 3. I'm sorry for all the fuss but thank you so much for your attention.

On another note, is there a way to change the shutting down splash screen? I managed to change the booting up screen, but not the rebooting. I prefer something more subtle and clean line. Otherwise, great rom and loving it!

Post the details of both and I'll see if the correct one is present and possibly add it in to save issues.

I'm not sure if there is a setting for it. Do you mean the splash screen that shows pac and rebooting or whatever?

Sent from my N1 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: jukbee

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
There were 2 default APNs under Setting, which I deleted both (but would reappear if I reset to default):

1. EE Internet everywhere
Name: EE Internet
APN: everywhere
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: eesecure
Password: ******
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
AuthenticateType: PAP
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None

2. EE MMS eezone
Name: EE MMS
APN: eezone
MMSC: http://mms/
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135
MMS Port: 8080
APN Type: mms

=====================
Here is the virgin that I key in myself.

Name: Virgin Media Mobile Internet
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: user
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2

Yes, it is the PAC splash animation when you choose from the menu to reboot the phone.

Reactions: trialsrider1

trialsrider1

Nov 10, 2010
GB
There were 2 default APNs under Setting, which I deleted both (but would reappear if I reset to default):

1. EE Internet everywhere
Name: EE Internet
APN: everywhere
MMSC: Not set
MMS Proxy: Not set
MMS Port: Not set

2. EE MMS eezone
Name: EE MMS
APN: eezone
MMSC: http://mms/
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135
APN Type: mms

=====================
Here is the virgin that I key in myself.

Name: Virgin Media Mobile Internet
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Username: user
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2

Yes, it is the PAC splash animation when you choose from the menu to reboot the phone.

I will see what I can about the apn stuff. Still seeing about the power off splash screen as well. Will update hopefully soon about it.

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
Thanks for your attentiveness and look forward to your finding.

I would also like to give you more information on the matter and hope it would be beneficial to you.

This morning when I rebooted the phone, the network connection problem happened again. I went into Setting to check for the APNs setting and found that none were there. Somehow they just got deleted or disappeared misteriously. Then I reset to default but that didn't do anything. It didn't restore back any APN settings.

Next thing I did was power off the phone and turned it back on. This time it worked. The 2 EE apn settings were restored but not the virgin which I manually keyed in.

I don't know what or where the glitch is but I now know what to do if it happens again. :)

Update: The network disconnection happens again. Somehow when I reboot or switch off then back on, all the APNs under Settings get deleted. When that happens I cannot add apn setting manually. I have to power down or reboot the phone. It might or might not restore the setting straight away but it will after a few attempts. So strange.

Update 2: When the problem occurred, I noticed that during to process of shutting down or rebooting the network icon changed to emptly, no signal bar just the outline of triangle, while the wifi icon was still full. I suspected that the apn settings got deleted during this process. And when it rebooted up again, there would be no connection. It would require 3-4 times of rebooting before the apn settings were restored.

Last edited:

trialsrider1

Nov 10, 2010
GB
I haven't been able to get these results. If it is consistent for you could you pull a logcat during the time when you do the airplane mode and it resets the apn info just to see if there is an issue? Also what version are you on and any modifications to system at all?

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
I just flashed the latest nightly a few hours ago and there hasn't been the problem at all.

The version causing problem was the 20140404 version.

Don't worry, all good now.

Just would like to change the pacman rebooting splash animation when power down to something more subtle. :)

trialsrider1

Nov 10, 2010
GB
I just flashed the latest nightly a few hours ago and there hasn't been the problem at all.

The version causing problem was the 20140404 version.

Don't worry, all good now.

Just would like to change the pacman rebooting splash animation when power down to something more subtle. :)

I'm glad to hear that. Was really confused about it. With the rebooting animation, I was told its a professionally designed logo and it's not going to change. I did find out you can decompile the framework and change it that way, but I wasn't told which one or where. Details were fairly vague when I asked.

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
Hello trialrider1,
How do I switch off the automatic on camera app when the unit is twisted? Thanks

trialsrider1

Nov 10, 2010
GB
I don't believe you can. It's pulled from CM and I don't think they put in a switch for it or at least I've never seen one.

jukbee

Aug 4, 2008
I normally put the phone in my trousers pocket and sometimes it's rotated accidentally. Also, when I do the video call, it always goes into camera app first and I have to close the app before making the call.

maxwen

Jun 10, 2012
I normally put the phone in my trousers pocket and sometimes it's rotated accidentally. Also, when I do the video call, it always goes into camera app first and I have to close the app before making the call.

Makes sense

praveen22

Sep 9, 2012
My Experience with the ROM

The ROM is usable as a daily driver. I have been using it for two days with heavy use and am impressed. So far no frequent or regular crashes that cripples your daily use.

Performance is exceptional. No lag whatsoever even when I am using the phone at powersave profile and governor is ondemand. Battery life is good. I got 6 hours of on screen time with it on 2g/3g which is better that what I got on ColorOS on wifi, 5 hours. Switching apps is easy and SlimROM's app switcher is beautiful.

I had few issues though. Capacitive keys backlight gets on even when you turn them off. It happened only once, but it did happen. Gesture anywhere doesn't work properly. I set a few gestures to call some contact I call frequently, but it opens skype instead of calling them. Listview animations works perfectly. Some of them are very trippy. IME/ keyboard animations doesn't work everytime with swiftkey. Setting to default makes it work, but some of the animations are really cool. It would be nice to see them working.

Camera is the ROMs achilles heel, imo. Stock Camera takes okay picture with slow focus and shutter speed. I guess that's Android, not an issue with ROM. I had expectations from Google Camera, but it was unable to focus on anything and click on setting causes it to crash. Blame the split screen!! (this is one crash I found without fail). I would be happy to produce a log if no one is able to reproduce it and its with my device only. Please make it work. Its so good. Also, PAC Console crashes every time I try to update.

praveen22

Sep 9, 2012
While watching YouTube in landscape mode, if the device gets locked, on unlocking the lockscreen is in landscape mode even if you are holding the phone in potrait orientation.

Top Liked Posts