There is a slight difference between Carrier and GPlay Nexus 5

Search This thread

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
First lets start by saying THERE are NO HARDWARE DIFFERENCE'S Just the matter of your carrier accepting the device

*Disclaimer : This information may change in the future and I'm not aware of any other CDMA carrier that does this in the UNITED States besides Sprint (If you do post and let us know). Most of the world is on GSM anyway right so this doesn't even matter to you

The Google Play Version allows you to go to Sprint and T-mobile

The T-Mobile Version or Carrier version will only work on other GSM Carriers while the Google play version allows you to go CDMA and GSM

Both of the Carrier and Google versions sold have the same internals and same everything else its just the matter of your carrier accepting it

If you're going to be using it for GSM only the carrier version is fine, however if you would like to use Sprint one day you would need the Google Play one or buy one from Sprint Themselves

Overall From Carrier and or Google Play Hardware/Software is the same its just the matter of your carrier accepting it :good:

Another Difference is that Carrier purchased Nexus 5 GOOGLE WILL NOT RMA only LG can with their Limited 1 year warranty
THE RMA Process is Only available from Google If the device was purchased from them

So for best warranty service try to purchase from Google Play

So Mark...? How do I know this is true and not one of your BUll***** threads again?
Simple Try going to ting and or any BYOD Sprint MVNO or Sprint themselves in order for them to activate it the ESN/IEMI must be in their system the google play ordered device will show however the Carrier purchased one Example T-Mobile wont show

It may sound stupid as all Nexus 5's should be unlocked and can be used anywhere. As it should be but it isn't
This is an Error on Sprint's End. This was similar to the iPhone 4s being GSM unlocked however carriers such as Sprint/Verizon Locked it

Attachments

• Untitled23.png
    Untitled23.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,479
Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'm not quite sure what this thread is about.

CDMA carriers have to have your ESN in their database for the phone to work on their network. They have all the Google play ESN's and all their own carrier ESN but they don't have other carriers' ESN so you have to ask them to add it. Is that what this is about?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013

CDMA carriers have to have your ESN in their database for the phone to work on their network. They have all the Google play ESN's and all their own carrier ESN but they don't have other carriers' ESN so you have to ask them to add it. Is that what this is about?

Yep, you can go Sprint to T-Mobile but you cant go to T-Mobile to Sprint

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis

I am confused as well.

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
Sprint seems pretty horrific with dealing in ESN's anyways. 6 support calls and a friend of mine could still not activate my old e4gt. They knew it wasn't blacklisted for stolen or funds due. They knew the exact date the phone was last activated but it wasn't until I told him to tell them the old number that they are like oh that hasn't been released from the line (which no longer exists). You would think you would get a clear and concise message trying to activate a device that is attached to another account not cryptic errors people are asking if they have ever seen before. One support staff actually asked him "are you sure its a sprint phone".

We already know AT&T doesn't exactly deal as well with the N5 as we would like to.

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
Really?

I bought the play store edition, popped in my sim card and that was it...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thats the best way to do it too. You already had service right? Possibly previously owned an LTE device? But its been encountered many a time they won't provision the account with LTE if the device ESN isn't in the system. But if you have an AT&T device available to activate on its no big deal. Already have service even better. Not an issue for say ST Byod or something.

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
I am confused as well.

Here is what I understand

Google version=bought from google play

T-Mobile version=bought from tmobile

Hardware wise, they are exactly the same.

However, sprint only has the ESN of the Google version (and their sprint version)

When op tries to activate the tmobile version on sprint, sprint (or ting) was unable to verify the ESN and refused.

Gsm providers are fine because you just pop the Sim in and it'll work (baring other stuff like imei blocking or att not allowing your Sim card to access LTE but allow 3g)

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Here is what I understand

Google version=bought from google play

T-Mobile version=bought from tmobile

Hardware wise, they are exactly the same.

However, sprint only has the ESN of the Google version (and their sprint version)

When op tries to activate the tmobile version on sprint, sprint (or ting) was unable to verify the ESN and refused.

Gsm providers are fine because you just pop the Sim in and it'll work (baring other stuff like imei blocking or att not allowing your Sim card to access LTE but allow 3g)

But couldn't you just obtain that, give to sprint, they enter it, and then call it did?

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
But couldn't you just obtain that, give to sprint, they enter it, and then call it did?

But what if Sprint's policy is only to allow a whitelisted phone on the network?

Otherwise, you could call them up with a Verizon ESN and get to use a Verizon phone on sprint?

//why I'll never touch CDMA even with a 20 foot pole

paperWastage

Mar 18, 2009
NJ
this is both vzw's and sprint's policy.

True, but sprint could be doing things differently with the nexus 5

I don't know, but from ops perspective, looks like this is happening.

Imeis (and probably ESN) have a specific structure. (Go Wikipedia imei. On mobile, can't link easily)

If google/sprint version have the same starting digits and are white listed, and T-Mobile has different digits, then yeah

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Thats the best way to do it too. You already had service right? Possibly previously owned an LTE device? But its been encountered many a time they won't provision the account with LTE if the device ESN isn't in the system. But if you have an AT&T device available to activate on its no big deal. Already have service even better. Not an issue for say ST Byod or something.

AT&T don't care what device you use. Call them and tell them you want to pay them money for LTE, give them the imei (they don't use esn) and they provision a sim card.

Sent from my Nexus 5

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
All you have to do is call sprint and give them the esn and it will work on sprint.

rubiconjp

Nov 30, 2011
Austin
I ordered my N5 on 1st available day. Then went to local ATT store and set up my ATT Go account and SIM, without the phone, for free. When phone arrived, I just bought ATT Go pin from callingmart, pop in SIM and voilà, LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
AT&T don't care what device you use. Call them and tell them you want to pay them money for LTE, give them the imei (they don't use esn) and they provision a sim card.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Company policies often have little to do with the current behaviour of high level software that abstracts the process from low level tech support. I don't think it was even an issue until very recently as most international unlocked devices were not compatible with their LTE nor do travelers take contracts. There are a couple of tricks experienced support know and even better if you get a higher level support tech answering your call rather than having to elevate. Sometimes its an easy day some days its hard.

There are words to use with support that can help facilitate a solution but money is not one of them. Its their job to help you no matter a current customer or new and no matter how much or little your spending. Talking about money only produces eye rolling and it falls under the same care level as calling your credit card company and telling the random poor soul your cutting up the card. They don't care, though a bean counter somewhere will tell anyone who asks they do or they should. In reality a rep who only gets motivated by threats or talking about money is a prime candidate for retraining or dismissal.

If they haven't already adjusted for this they need to. With the amount of cross carrier compatible unlocked lte devices on the market they will have more customers on them than ever before. Any extra calls to get LTE provisioned is wasted money for them.

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Company policies often have little to do with the current behaviour of high level software that abstracts the process from low level tech support. I don't think it was even an issue until very recently as most international unlocked devices were not compatible with their LTE nor do travelers take contracts. There are a couple of tricks experienced support know and even better if you get a higher level support tech answering your call rather than having to elevate. Sometimes its an easy day some days its hard.

There are words to use with support that can help facilitate a solution but money is not one of them. Its their job to help you no matter a current customer or new and no matter how much or little your spending. Talking about money only produces eye rolling and it falls under the same care level as calling your credit card company and telling the random poor soul your cutting up the card. They don't care, though a bean counter somewhere will tell anyone who asks they do or they should. In reality a rep who only gets motivated by threats or talking about money is a prime candidate for retraining or dismissal.

If they haven't already adjusted for this they need to. With the amount of cross carrier compatible unlocked lte devices on the market they will have more customers on them than ever before. Any extra calls to get LTE provisioned is wasted money for them.

Telling them you wanted to pay them money is a figure of speech, like 'hello, I would like phone service' I didn't mean literally call them and say "I want to pay you money for LTE"

Dude, chill out a little. I have been dealing with cell phone companies as an enterprise account for many years.

Sent from my Nexus 5

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
Telling them you wanted to pay them money is a figure of speech, like 'hello, I would like phone service' I didn't mean literally call them and say "I want to pay you money for LTE"

Dude, chill out a little. I have been dealing with cell phone companies as an enterprise account for many years.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Right but you might be surprised how many customers are serious and speak like that as if the service rep is part of this corporate entity. I guess you can tell a battered customer service veteran. I once had a guy tell me he was going to file a complaint on me for basically enforcing a policy that had been changed...

I'm a bit bummed actually. As much as I loved getting off sprint I was excited about the device support. So I'd hate to have any issues going back. However if I ever went AT&T it would probably be an mvno.

Top Liked Posts