[BOOTLOADER] Locked bootloader research and news [Updated: 7/16/2012]

Search This thread

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Every one of the US versions, Sprint, ATT, TMobile, Verizon all have different hardware radio inside. So a Sprint phone works on Sprint only, Verizon on Verizon only, TMobile on TMobile only, ATT on ATT only. We shop by service first, hardware second. That's mainly because none of the networks work with each other. LTE on ATT is not the same as LTE on Verizon. 4G on TMobile is not the same as 4G on Sprint. Even though they sometimes use similar frequencies, they use different hardware on the towers and in the devices.

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
Every one of the US versions, Sprint, ATT, TMobile, Verizon all have different hardware radio inside. So a Sprint phone works on Sprint only, Verizon on Verizon only, TMobile on TMobile only, ATT on ATT only. We shop by service first, hardware second. That's mainly because none of the networks work with each other. LTE on ATT is not the same as LTE on Verizon. 4G on TMobile is not the same as 4G on Sprint. Even though they sometimes use similar frequencies, they use different hardware on the towers and in the devices.

Stupidest system ever. Kill the carrier subsidy model.

Reactions: segv11 and E:V:A

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
So the sprint version of phone should be compatible with VZN network. Its now just a simlock problem - em i right?

Maybe not:

. . . there are some technical reasons for why AT&T's and Verizon's LTE networks are incompatible with each other and every other wireless carrier in the world. Some operators use completely different spectrum frequencies for their LTE service. For example, AT&T and Verizon are using 700 MHz spectrum, while Sprint is using 1900 MHz and some 800 MHz spectrum. That's why those networks are incompatible, even though the underlying technology is the same.

. . . the 700 MHz chunk of spectrum was split into two parts, an upper portion and a lower portion. And because of interference issues, different band plans were adopted for the spectrum, making it so the two portions couldn't interoperate.

Verizon got a nationwide license in the upper C block. That's what it's using to provide its 700 MHz spectrum. AT&T bought smaller licenses in the lower portion of the 700 MHz band.

. . .

Berry, who sat down to chat with me in an interview this week, believes AT&T and Verizon have cleverly engineered their networks and the spectrum they are using to ensure that they don't have to provide this interoperability. But the FCC could figure out a way to get all wireless carriers using the 700 MHz band on the same page, he said, eventually there could be interoperability across the entire band.

- ooofest

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Stupidest system ever. Kill the carrier subsidy model.

I have no problem with it because all the other carriers have crap service compared to Verizon. I would not want a bunch of customers from Sprint bogging down the Verizon network because Sprint has not invested in their network.

Service comes first. Hardware second. As it should be. It does me no good to get a wonderful handset like the HTC EVO 4G if the network is garbage.

Reactions: sarkozy

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
I have no problem with it because all the other carriers have crap service compared to Verizon. I would not want a bunch of customers from Sprint bogging down the Verizon network because Sprint has not invested in their network.

Service comes first. Hardware second. As it should be. It does me no good to get a wonderful handset like the HTC EVO 4G if the network is garbage.

The carrier-subsidy model is anti-competitive because it forces consumers into long-term contracts. In places without the carrier-subsidy model prices are lower, networks tend to be higher quality, and consumers can truly vote with their dollars. You'd see better networks in the US in general if we got rid of this nonsense.

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
The carrier-subsidy model is anti-competitive because it forces consumers into long-term contracts. In places without the carrier-subsidy model prices are lower, networks tend to be higher quality, and consumers can truly vote with their dollars. You'd see better networks in the US in general if we got rid of this nonsense.

I don't see the problem. I have been renewing my Verizon contract, every two years, for 10 years or so now. In exchange for that they have built the largest and fastest LTE network around. I get crazy stupid speeds everywhere I go and because I have been with them all along I got to keep my unlimited data. I get better reception than all the other carriers everywhere I go. I get a 24% discount from my employer as well. They also have one of the best device selections. The Razr Maxx and GSIII to name two which I own. If the only thing I have to give up is a locked bootloader on the GSIII, I'm fine with that.

We are now off topic a bit much so lets get back to locked bootloader discussion. :)

Last edited:

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
I don't see the problem. I have been renewing my Verizon contract, every two years, for 10 years or so now. In exchange for that they have built the largest and fastest LTE network around. I get crazy stupid speeds everywhere I go and because I have been with them all along I got to keep my unlimited data. I get better reception than all the other carriers everywhere I go. I get a 24% discount from my employer as well. They also have one of the best device selections. The Razr Maxx and GSIII to name two which I own. If the only thing I have to give up is a locked bootloader on the GSIII, I'm fine with that.

We are now off topic a bit much so lets get back to locked bootloader discussion. :)

Heh, this isn't off-topic--the carrier subsidy model is what allows them to lock bootloaders.

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
OK, so as far as the specs data are accurate the SPRINT's version of SGS3 covers THE SAME network ranges/types as VZN ones.

Cellular_Networks: CDMA800 (BC0), CDMA1900 (BC14)
Cellular-Data+Links: cdmaOne, CDMA2000 1xRTT, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rel. 0, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Rev A

So unlocked sprint's version (without simlock) + the VZN card should do the job :)

u will get the unlocked bootloader :) and still using VZN services :)

Verizon uses the 700mHz band for their gsm lte.. 800mhz for cdma voice.. and 1900mhz cdma 3g

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Reactions: Durthquake

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
could be a good chance we can use our old trusty "bootmenu" from the droid x and modify it in a way that we modify hijack to pull the bootmenu and then bootmenu would have options for reboot to cwm reboot to normal kernel and reboot to modified kernel.. if stock it would just continue boot if cwm or custom kernel it would flash that selection to recovery partition and reboot to recovery partition making u either boot to cwm or to ur custom kernel.. also it would have a default setting option for u to choose wether it be custom or normal kernel so u dont always have to use it while booting.. this is just me and wizard0f0s brainstorming but to me it makes perfect sense.. now i just need my phone to come in so i can play guinny pig on this whole thing

basically between this and the possibility of kexec working too we have options and im pretty much sure at this point we will be flashing custom kernels.. slim slim chance we wont be but imho way higher of a chance of a workaround

Last edited:

jmacko

Apr 24, 2008
Last edited:

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
No ****, I got the same feeling.. Sounds like your in bed with Verizon

sorry, just very happy with my service......and have been using a Charge forever that never got any CM/AOSP love either, so I have seen what is possible as long as you have root, debloat and custom Touchwiz based roms...and it is good. Not as good as CM/AOSP granted like on the Fascainte, but still not a deal breaker all things considered.

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
Is this of any help?

From: http://www.anyclub.org/2012/05/how-to-enabledisable-secure-boot.html

How to enable/disable the secure boot authentication feature on MSM8660 by using the JTAG
Notes: This solution does not apply all version MSM8660

This solution does not apply to the RPM JTAG disable cases

This solution only uses for debug purpose.

For some reasons, if you need to to run unsigned software on a secure boot enabled (the AUTH_EN bit in SECURE_BOOT1 register is blown) MSM8660 chip, the following instruction is able to disable the secure boot authentication by using RPM-JTAG.

1. Launch the Daisy Chain RPM-JTAG shortcut (i.e modem_proc\tools\t32\DC7_ARM7_RPM).

2. Execute the cmm script which contain the following command:

system.option resbreak on
system.up
g 0x7ce8 /o /cmd "r.s r0 0x0" ;0x0 for disabling the secure boot authentication
wait 1ms
g

Of course, you can simply modify the cmm script (listed below) to enable the secure boot authentication without blowing SECURE_BOOT1 register on MSM8660 chip by using RPM-JTAG or short the GPIO_76 pin.

system.option resbreak on
system.up
g 0x7ce8 /o /cmd "r.s r0 0x1" ;0x1 for enabling the secure boot authentication
wait 1ms
g

And perhaps:
http://www.anyclub.org/2012/05/qpst-emergency-download-support.html

Maybe someone over there, that knows the SOC better (or has the SOC documentation) might be able to collaborate to understand how to work around our issues, or at least point out the most efficient attack vector.

if thats the snapdragon s4 then i'd assume so.. we might just have 3 options now.. granted this would be the best as it would just be like having an unlocked phone

ooofest

Aug 17, 2011
NY
Heh, this isn't off-topic--the carrier subsidy model is what allows them to lock bootloaders.

This.

Fewer providers and proprietary networks means they easily lock us into whatever they decide to charge and provide. Plus, we get the added limitation (for LTE) that phones are only "investments" within the same provider network - again, we're locked into their proprietary scheme. Sounds like Apple products.

It used to be that we rented phones from Ma Bell. Times have changed for landlines, but we're doing much of it all over x100 for wireless networks, IMHO.

- ooofest

Reactions: segv11

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
could be a good chance we can use our old trusty "bootmenu" from the droid x and modify it in a way that we modify hijack to pull the bootmenu and then bootmenu would have options for reboot to cwm reboot to normal kernel and reboot to modified kernel.. if stock it would just continue boot if cwm or custom kernel it would flash that selection to recovery partition and reboot to recovery partition making u either boot to cwm or to ur custom kernel.. also it would have a default setting option for u to choose wether it be custom or normal kernel so u dont always have to use it while booting.. this is just me and wizard0f0s brainstorming but to me it makes perfect sense.. now i just need my phone to come in so i can play guinny pig on this whole thing

basically between this and the possibility of kexec working too we have options and im pretty much sure at this point we will be flashing custom kernels.. slim slim chance we wont be but imho way higher of a chance of a workaround

Hells yes! Beans and wizard are now on the bandwagon! In case you guys don't know they've worked magic with MIUI and more on the DX. I'm so glad you guys are jumping ship with me. Can't wait for Fedex tomorrow!

Sent from wizards MIUI on DX.

Quize

Feb 17, 2010
Let me just preface this post with I am not a rom developer, so some of the assumptions listed below might not be correct. It is just based on my understanding of what I have researched so far. Also, this information is based off of the secure boot feature in the MSM7XXX chipset, but I don't think the procedures/sequences should differ too much. If someone has a way to analyze which qfuses are blown, I think it might help greatly in finding a way to get around the signed boot loader.

Qualcomm secure booting sequence on an MSM7XXX phone
From the now-deleted QC BQS Analyzer: Booting Sequence Explained

1. QBL (OTP)------------Check of QCSBL header and Config Bits (30 Bit) -> Value hardcoded (Func at FFFF0674)
Load of QCSBL header and Config Bits (Func at FFFF0396)
Check of PBL (SHA1) -> Value hardcoded (Func at FFFF03A0)
Load of PBL (Func at FFFF0260), Entrypoint : 0x0, with given QCSBL Header

2. PBL -------Check of QCSBL (SHA1 + RSA-2048-SHA1 Signature Decryption from QCSBL) (Func at 0xBC)
Load of QCSBL (Func at 0x2FC), Entrypoint : 0x02D4C01C

3. QCSBL--------Check of OEMSBL (SHA1 + RSA-2048-SHA1 Signature Decryption from OEMSBL) (Func at 02D4C118)
Init of OEMSBL (Func at 0x2D4C2A0), Entrypoint : 0x02D9C354
Loading of OEMSBL (Func not yet found)
Check of AMSS (SHA1 + RSA-2048-SHA1 Signature Decryption from AMSS)(Func at 02D4C15C)
Loading of AMSS (Func at 0x02D4C060), Entrypoint : 0x0]

An explanation of what qfuses are
Qfuses

Qfuses are one-time-programmable (OTP) elements that are used to enable and disable security and debug features of the MSM7xxx device. The Qfuses are implemented as anarray of one-bit fuse blocks. The Qfuse banks are used for two purposes — providing non-volatile, immutable storage of data, and configuration of hardware features. For immutabledata storage, the Qfuses are read via a shadow register which contains the actual valuestored and includes error correction.For configuration, each Qfuse is associated with a one-time write register. The value of each Qfuse is sensed at powerup and stored in a register. Blowing Qfuses is done byplacing a value to a register and applying current to the fuse. The fuse registers areaccessible through JTAG and software readable address locations.

How to blow the qfuses
Qfuse Programming

To blow a fuse a number of steps must be completed.
1. Apply the proper voltage to the VDD_EFUSE pin, typically 2.9 +/- 0.1 V.
2. Select the proper fuse chain with the EF_CHAIN_SEL register.
3. When you blow the first fuse in a chain, put a 0x1 in the EF_BLOW_VALUE register.Otherwise make this register 0x0. For each subsequent fuse to be blown in the samechain, you will be shifting the '1' in the e-fuse chain to the next fuse to be blown.
4. Program the EF_SHIFT_VAL to shift the '1' to the proper fuse.
Name Type Description
BOOT_SCUR Input pin If this pin (GPIO 95) is enabled (high), it forces the SBL or anysubsequent code to be authenticated for security. This pinfunction is available only if FORCED_TRUSTED_BOOT fuseis not blown, otherwise it is used as a GPIO.
5. Set the EF_BLOW_TIMER to the correct value, typical blow times are 10 µs. Thetimer is the number of clock cycles the current will be applied to the fuse. The clock isTCXO, typically 19.2 MHz.6. Write a 0x0 and then a 0x1 to the EF_STATUS register. This starts the blow fuseshardware state machine.7. Poll bit 1 in the EF_STATUS register. When it is a '1', the fuse has been blown.8. Finally, when all of the desired fuses are blown, the chip must be reset (power-onreset) so that the fuses values can be sensed

Qualcomms secure boot configuration which is enabled our phones
Secure boot configuration
The MSM7xxx device can be configured to boot in secure mode using the BOOT_SCUR pin or the FORCE_TRUSTED_BOOT Qfuse.

■The BOOT_SCUR pin (N5) determines the boot mode of the MSM7xxx IC. TheMSM7xxx IC can be booted in secure mode and it then follows the boot processdescribed in the previous section. If the device is booted in non-secure mode,authentication of the boot code is not performed.The MSM7xxx IC is booted in non-secure mode when BOOT_SCUR = 0. When theBOOT_SCUR pin is pulled to high (BOOT_SCUR = 1) then the MSM IC is booted insecure mode and all subsequent code is authenticated. This configuration is only validwhen the FORCE_TRUSTED_BOOT Qfuse is NOT BLOWN.The BOOT_SCUR pin functionality is shared with GPIO[95]. When the pin is used asBOOT_SCUR, the GPIO functionality is not available.

■The MSM7xxx IC can be configured to boot in secure mode by blowing theFORCE_TRUSTED_BOOT Qfuse. If this fuse is blown, the SBL and any subsequentcode are authenticated for security. The BOOT_SCUR pin becomes meaninglesswhen the fuse is blown and does not need to be configured for secure boot. Once theFORCE_TRUSTED_BOOT fuse is blown, the GPIO[95] is available for use.

The debug qfuse
DEBUG_EN_KEY Considerations and RMASupport
The DEBUG_EN_KEY is a customer specific key that is used to enable debug featuresthat have been disabled by blowing other Qfuses. The DEBUG_EN_KEY is a 63-bit fusechain that must be blown by customers with a unique value for their products or a uniquevalue for each of their MSM7xxx device models. Customers must take caution NOT toblow a unique value for each MSM7xxx device. Customers must keep track of the value of a key once it has been blown to enable debug features. The DEBUG_EN_KEY provides amethod to enable the debug interfaces for testing. Qualcomm will provide a secure/safeportal site to the customer, and the customer can give the debug key information(encrypted). This key is required by Qualcomm to enable debug features when performingRMA testing on any material. If the DEBUG_EN_KEY is not available, the RMAtesting cannot be performed
. Qualcomm requires the debug buses to be enabled in orderto perform testing on RMA parts from customers. Without the DEBUG_EN_KEY, RMAtesting cannot be fully performed - ATE and failure analysis (FA) test coverage will belimited. SURF testing capability will be fully available but with just SURF testing, fullanalysis cannot be performed. Please contact https://support.cdmatech.com for moreinformation regarding securely sharing the DEBUG_EN_KEY with Qualcomm forcomplete RMA testing and other questions regarding ATE, FA, and SURF test coverage

So from my understanding of this, unless someone can analyze and is willing to blow the qfuses on their phone to see what will work, we might have to wait on a signed engineering bootloader leak. Of course, that is all based on the assumption that the secure boot in MSM8960 is still similar/identical to the secure boot feature in the MSM7XXX chipsets. Like I said though this is all based on my understanding of it, so someone with more experience could see a different solution from the information above.

Sources for the info in quotes:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51789612/80-V9038-15-APPLICATION-NOTE-MSM7XXX-QFUSES-AND-SECURITY

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Lol dude I WORK for VzW and idk if I could have talked like that.. He's a true believer in the service.. lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

i spent many years traveling the country with phones from every major carrier, that's how I know it's the best, that and years of watching people on other networks complain about how their service sucks.....it's not hard to see

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
i spent many years traveling the country with phones from every major carrier, that's how I know it's the best, that and years of watching people on other networks complain about how their service sucks.....it's not hard to see

This is an important thread. Let's all stay on topic pleas.

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Invisiblek succesfully booted to android using "adb reboot recovery" with his modified recovery.img.

Basically we made it look as if going to recovery, but actually continuing onto boot.img.

thats not 100% accurate

i flashed a modified boot.img to our recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p18)
    then rebooted into recovery
    it booted up into android using this modified boot.img

i don't plan for this to be of any real use to us though. proof of concept really

we need our access to /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 (where our stock boot.img actually resided)

thing is, we can flash to mmcblk0p7 just fine, but it wont boot (wont do anything actually other than let you get back into odin mode, where you can re-flash the stock boot image, or it gives you this when you try to boot android or recovery: http://i.imgur.com/Ci0gY.png )

rest assured. this is being worked on...
    Since this is a news thread...

It was reported in IRC within the past hour or so that supposedly BOTH kexec is likely working and noobnl (whom many of you may know from his work with AOSP ROMs) has stated that the RIL has been cracked :D

To those who don't know what that means, kexec chainloads kernels (in simplest terms, the custom kernel loads on top of the stock kernel AFTER the bootloader checks to make sure the stock kernel has been unmodified). This was necessary if one wanted to run a non-Touchwiz ROM (such as CM, AOKP, etc) or if they just wanted to run an overclocked, undervolted kernel.

The RIL is essentially the radio. It was also needed to run a non-Touchwiz ROM and now opens the door to Jelly Bean ROMs.

There is still working/testing to be done, and there are no ETAs, so don't bug the devs. They're actively working on it so let them do their thing.

What a roller coaster of a weekend :)
    Since locked Verizon SGS3 is now the main problem, i'v decided to split my kernel thread to separate one that focus directly on unlocking bootloader and progress in that matter.

Summary of the problem

Verizon model is protected from flashing unsigned/modified boot.img and recovery.img. Which means there is no known root method as for now for SCH-I535.
    And that is where our adventure starts ....

Rooted stock boot.img issue:
    <ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/008> boot.img
    <ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/008> FAIL! (Auth)

CWM Recovery.img flash issue:
    <ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/003> recovery.img
    <ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/003>
    <ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Research status: 50%
    + 20% - Some devs stated that RIL is hacked and there is also sucessfull Kexec implentation in works - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28484191&postcount=262 Stay tuned for more news. Kexec proof-of-concept thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1760678
    + 20% - phone can boot from unsigned boot.img flashed to recovery partition, this will leave you without recovery and requires to boot-trough-recovery every time u rebooting phone! (thanx invisiblek)
    Links: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28420589&postcount=47 , http://pastebin.com/eARk7r48

+ 10% - phone rooted trough system.img tricks -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885 (by invisiblek)

ROM analysys:
    boot.img -> signed
    recovery.img -> signed
    system.img -> not signed
    cache.img -> not signed

Update [7/7/2012]
    News about locked Verizon model is spreading over the websites and main tech-related portals. Hopefully we will get some detailed info soon.

Update [7/7/2012]
    It looks like it has been rooted by using system.img trick (system.img is not signed)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885
    Enjoy! and thanx to invisiblek :) good job!

Update [07/15/2012] VZN insider confirmed this is not a true info
    One of thread members chatted with verizon reps over mail & chat and got info that there may be possible unlocker released for bootloader at vzn locked phones. Here's the screenshots of chat: http://i.imgur.com/0lX3o.png , http://i.imgur.com/ULA4X.png
    At this is not confirmed yet officialy, it may be interesting finding.

Update [07/15/2012]
    Adam Outler posted he's own research info in separated thread, read it. It may help a bit -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1769411

Update [07/16/2012]
    Galaxy S III Verizon Developer edition shows up on Samsung Website! -> http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I535MBCVZW

Thanks!
    Developing right now:

JackpotClavin and Invisiblek have successfully loaded a custom kernel using a modified recovery ramdisk. It's still very early but this is excellent news for us. As it stands, this method wipes ClockworkMod and requires the recovery key combination on every boot, but those issues can probably both be overcome with custom scripts.

Stay tuned guys...and mash those two guys' Thanks buttons!
    hmmmmm kind of like your post was right?

And your post also.

On a good note while i was digging around last night through the source code I did notice something really nice about the SGSIII that should make you all very happy. As the guys at epic have noted, the kexec flag is marked, meaning that kexec can crash the existing kernel with one of its own. Now what does that mean you may ask. I'm glad you asked.

For those of you that do not know there are 5 primary partitions that are contained on most phones and android devices:
    1. X-Loader
      This partition is usually the partition with the most basic hardware inits such as base gpio (buttons) and power toggles​
    2. bootloader
      This is the partition that contains what most of us as dev's hate the most, the dreaded boot signature, and boot instructions. When a bootloader is locked down it can be because of either a hardware lock, see OMAP4 processors Sec_On Pin, or a software lock, HTC's S-Off. When a bootloader is said to be locked, it can have two reasons for this, a signed header or an encryption algorithm on the entire partition.​
    3. recovery
      This partition is the one every one loves to see Clockwork Mod on. When not signed the partition can be flashed and used. ONE THING TO NOTE HERE IS THAT WHEN YOU USE THIS THREAD, YOU ARE SHOWING THAT THIS IS NOT SIGNED, Or the signature is not checked!!! This is intersting because it its self may show a security hole. The recovery might be what checks the CWM recovery flash images signature.​
    4. boot
      Perhaps one of the most interesting partitions on android devices. The boot partitions contains the binary for the kernel, and the inframs for the initilization of the os. This partition in this case has said to be signed, with a signature check in the bootloader that checks the validity of a boot partition, meaning there is no changing this.​
    5. system
      Contains most of the information on the OS. At this point all the framework and android settings get loaded. This partition is not signed, meaning we can modify to our will​
    6. userdata
      Contains the userdata, such as games and such​

Now one thing to note is that there are two initialzation points, the first of which occurs in the boot parition and the second of which is in the system's /etc/init files. One thing that i would be interested in seeing is if you were to use this place to load in a new partition or an SD OS. for example:
    system1 partition init:
    Code:
    kexec -l /sdcard/kernel --reuse-cmdline --ramdisk=/sdcard/ramdisk
    system2 partition can then have an init that mounts a block partition from the sdcard onto the system partition.
    Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmc1... /system

Now what does it all mean? This current method means that we can reload a compleatly new os onto a devices kernel and all. AKA Jelly Bean.

For those dev which hope to find a way to make it work i point you to the following posts:

2nd-init can be used for a second init after the first one to allow for kexec to be run (might not need this)

kexec for ARM I might have to modify some kernel memory allocation issues but it should work none the less with the flag.