S-OFF for J butterfly, but not for regular butterfly?

Search This thread

chocchief

Oct 9, 2011
So there's now a way to get S-OFF for the J Butterfly (here) but none for the Butterfly X920d or X920e. Do you think that since it's happened for the J butterfly, we will be getting it soon?

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
Yes, x920d support sd card but x920e is not
Thanks.

So there's now a way to get S-OFF for the J Butterfly (here) but none for the Butterfly X920d or X920e. Do you think that since it's happened for the J butterfly, we will be getting it soon?
In that case, perhaps it is possible for the x920d, but not the e. Sdcard is necessary as far as i know.

I don't know if unlimited is working on s-off for x920d, though. So, looks like you'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my HTL21 using xda premium

farazhassankhan

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks.

In that case, perhaps it is possible for the x920d, but not the e. Sdcard is necessary as far as i know.

I don't know if unlimited is working on s-off for x920d, though. So, looks like you'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my HTL21 using xda premium

I don't think that SD Card is necessary to gain S-Off. Sensation XL doesn have external SD Card Slot (just built in 16GB) but still it can be S-Offed

menndiary

Nov 6, 2011
@TeamAndIRC are working on it. I tried to help but he needs the X920D update.zip which I don't have. If anyone of you guy have it, please contact them immediately so they can add support for our Butterfly.

I just tweeted him with a link to download the fully-functional update.zip which containing the full system of X920d ( version 1.14.709.1 , which is the second OTA update for Taiwan market. )

keithleyson

Jul 5, 2011
Hopefully they can add x920d in the initial release.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

zjelko

Apr 16, 2011
I found it, i put this here for other people who don't know:

For those of you (like me) scratching your heads because you never heard of s-off:

In a nutshell, S-OFF means that the NAND portion of the device is unlocked and can be written to. The default setting for HTC’s devices is S-ON, which means that neither can you access certain areas of the system nor can you guarantee a permanent root. Furthermore, signature check for firmware images is also ensured by the S-ON flag.

How Do I Know If My Device Is S-ON Or S-OFF?

That is easy to verify. Simply boot into HBOOT on your device, and the text on top will show the flag status as either S-OFF or S-ON. A full root generally means S-OFF.

S-OFF – What And Why?

In their devices, HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.

Thanks for the poster of this article since it isn't me who wrote this