Can't set Network Provider after Nandroid Restore

Search This thread

Mr Davo

May 6, 2010
Melbourne
Hi Everyone,

The business I work for has been steadily migrating from the Motorola Defy (MB525) to the iPhone 5. This has resulted in a large number of spare Defy's at my work. I have learned how to root, custom ROM, etc the Defy, and even took the time to create some instructions (which I think are quite thorough). The XDA Thread link to my instructions is below -

Installing a custom ROM on the Motorola Defy Using Windows 7

A colleague of mine is currently experiencing issues with his modified Defy (running CyanogenMod 9) so I decided to perform a Nandroid backup of his phone. I then restored the backup to another spare Defy (that also runs CyanogenMod9, is rooted, etc) and was happy that all the Apps, and data were restored.

However I have one major challenge I cannot choose the Network Operator (Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Network Operators), when I attempt to do so I am met with the message "Error while searching for networks". Furthermore selecting one of the sub-options, either "Search Networks" or "Select Automatically", results in the "time wheel" spinning for a short period, and nothing changing.

Unusually I have performed a Nandroid Restore on two (spare) Defy phones, and each has had the same error. Furthermore I have tried two different (active) SIM cards (one from ALDI Mobile, and one from TPG - both Australian Carriers) and the result has been the same.

Is there a config file that I can alter, or some other way of making the phone pick up the Network Provider?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Last edited:
Reactions: roberto888

souviktherocker

Aug 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

The business I work for has been steadily migrating from the Motorola Defy (MB525) to the iPhone 5. This has resulted in a large number of spare Defy's at my work. I have learned how to root, custom ROM, etc the Defy, and even took the time to create some instructions (which I think are quite thorough). The XDA Thread link to my instructions is below -

A colleague of mine is currently experiencing issues with his modified Defy (running CyanogenMod 9) so I decided to perform a Nandroid backup of his phone. I then restored the backup to another spare Defy (that also runs CyanogenMod9, is rooted, etc) and was happy that all the Apps, and data were restored.

However I have one major challenge I cannot choose the Network Operator (Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Network Operators), when I attempt to do so I am met with the message "Error while searching for networks". Furthermore selecting one of the sub-options, either "Search Networks" or "Select Automatically", results in the "time wheel" spinning for a short period, and nothing changing.

Unusually I have performed a Nandroid Restore on two (spare) Defy phones, and each has had the same error. Furthermore I have tried two different (active) SIM cards (one from ALDI Mobile, and one from TPG - both Australian Carriers) and the result has been the same.

Is there a config file that I can alter, or some other way of making the phone pick up the Network Provider?

Kind Regards,

Davo

go to Settings > Advance > Baseband Selection > select your baseband

Mr Davo

May 6, 2010
Melbourne
Hi souviktherocker,

Thanks for your response. I have now set the Baseband correctly, as per your suggestion (please see the screen capture below), but I am still getting the original error message.

Screenshot_2014-01-24-22-29-13.png

Any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

roberto888

May 11, 2014
Cheltenham
Can't connect to this network right now. Try again later.

I have kind of the same issue, except that my phone does find the Network Provider, but it tells me "Can't connect to this network right now. Try again later." I have set the correct baseband. Altough when I try to select Euro Band in Testing menu (*#*#4636#*#* - Phone Information - Soft menu key - Select Radio Band) it says Unsuccesful. I have network signal, but there is an exclamation mark which says no service. Is there any way to solve this?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am running Quarx's cm-11-20140516-NIGHTLY-mb526.zip on Defy Green Lens

Last edited:

roberto888

May 11, 2014
Cheltenham
You should try a different radio, from the dev thread

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

I have tried flashing other radios, even the one from the stock sbf, but it is the same. I can't select Euro Band. Only Automatic, Band Class 9 (900MHz) and PCS (1900MHz) working, but with Band Class 9 and PCS it loses signal. When I select Automatic, it shows the signal bar, but Can't connect to Network Provider. Other ideas?

Last edited:

Mr Davo

May 6, 2010
Melbourne
Hi All,

I have come to believe that my specific issue is related to the IMEI number of the handset itself. When I transfer the Nandroid backup the IMEI number is not transported along with all of the other phone settings. There are various hacks available for changing an IMEI number but I have not yet had an opportunity to try any of them out.

As a side note if you are running Avast! Anti-Theft I strongly recommend turning it OFF before attempting to fix any signal related issues.

Kind Regards,

Davo

roberto888

May 11, 2014
Cheltenham
Hi All,

I have come to believe that my specific issue is related to the IMEI number of the handset itself. When I transfer the Nandroid backup the IMEI number is not transported along with all of the other phone settings. There are various hacks available for changing an IMEI number but I have not yet had an opportunity to try any of them out.

As a side note if you are running Avast! Anti-Theft I strongly recommend turning it OFF before attempting to fix any signal related issues.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Can it be something about the IMEI? And what is IMEI SV? I have my IMEI, and the IMEI SV is almost the same number, but with another "0" at the and. Is that relevant?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,

Davo
    Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,

Davo

go to Settings > Advance > Baseband Selection > select your baseband
    Hi souviktherocker,

Thanks for your response. I have now set the Baseband correctly, as per your suggestion (please see the screen capture below), but I am still getting the original error message.

Screenshot_2014-01-24-22-29-13.png

Any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo
    You should try a different radio, from the dev thread

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk