Keyboard security question.

Search This thread

Burginthorn

Oct 29, 2012
I just downloaded my first keyboard app from the PlayStore and went to install it, but then I got a warning message about a bunch of stuff that this keyboard is able to know what I'm typing, including credit card numbers, text messages and so on ...

I got ripped for $12,000 once a few years ago because I bought something online and someone got my credit card numbers. Bank investigation, blah blah blah, took ages before it was all sorted. Now I'm a bit paranoid about this sort of thing.

Is there another app maybe, or some setting that can stop a keyboard from recording what I type?

I know I could just go back and use the standard keyboard that came with my ROM, but now I'm sus on that too. Is this a common thing with Android, or all devices these days. Is it something to be worried about, or is that just how it is and its really nothing to worry about?

The keyboard I got from the Playstore is called Kii Keyboard. It seems popular with heaps of users, but still I thought I'd ask first.

Thx :eek:

booleanCube

Feb 5, 2014
New Market
www.google.com
I haven't had a lot of experience with different keyboard apps, just with SwiftKey. I think Google is trying to keep people aware when they install these keyboards of the risks of what "could" happen. If you are downloading a very popular app from a reputable source on the PlayStore, I would think that its chances of being safe are pretty high. Google is pretty good about taking down apps if they don't meet certain requirements. Thankfully I have never had any problems using SwiftKey, maybe try that one! Also, as far as if there is a setting to keep the keyboard from paying too much attention to what you type, I think that would be working against any features that help enhance the keyboards predictive text. I know with SwiftKeys, I love how much better my predictions have become over time. I'm not sure how possible that would have been with something working against it. Just a thought though!

Last edited:

Jattro

Sep 29, 2010
Yeah I also had this attitude for trying new keyboards, because of the permissions they asked. But after someone told me that the standard keyboard uses the same permissions, I was willing to try it. In the end you could also edit the permissions of the app (if you're rooted), so that it's 'safer', but I think you'll miss out on some of the predictive text options.

Last edited: