[Q] How do I root the AT&T Avail (ZTE Z990)?

Search This thread

chunk351

Dec 30, 2011
What I have tried:
SuperOneClick (all versions) <-- Siege Tanks Were Doomed
Gingerbreak <-- Just sits there
Z4Root <-- doesn't do anything
Rageagainstthecage <-- doesn't work

tried flashing Clockwork mod via tcard like works for the ZTE Blade, phone pretends like it is working then reboots and no change, trying to start using the power button and vol - yields nothing.

tried cooking my own rom with the kitchen make the update.zip file
Do adb reboot recovery

the phone comes back to the android system recovery <3e>

I select the option to do update.zip from sdcard

I get:
verifying update package...
installation aborted...

I need root access to remove the AT&T preloaded apps that won't uninstall won't stay killed and are hogging all my space on the phone (limited storage). I would also like to be able to upgrade to 2.3.7 from my current 2.3.4 and possibly make my own roms.

I have emailed ZTE Chinese support to see if I can get an non pork filled rom the Indian who answered their tech support line didn't have an answer and told me not to flash the ZTE roamer rom (if I could even find it) because it will brick my phone. They have been no help!

What am I doing wrong in the android recovery (I have tried both installer scripts)? Is there a way to rebuild the system.img from the system folder that was created in the kitchen because I might be able to rebuild it into the .bin file that the phone will accept from a sdcard with the built in update feature?

Reactions: RelentlessRampage

chunk351

Dec 30, 2011
Ok so I figured out how to repack the system.img I then dropped it back into the folder and used zte-pack.exe to build my .bin file. I go to the tcard update and it fails verification...is there a signature that needs to be made? I didn't see an option in zte-pack

chunk351

Dec 30, 2011
i got the same phone with at&t....was unable to root it either, but i only tried super one click...

good luck and share, if you find a way.

I am soooo close just need that extra little bit of help, I will get it and when I do I will definitely share. I've only had a droid for 2 weeks and I have come this far, I am not going to stop. I have a BS in Computer Science and used to be a MCSE, I don't know this tech well enough yet but I will. Just hoping someone on here has the skillset I need to help complete this,

Reactions: ryancnap and SKSFTW

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
9Pgdq.png

Will post instructions after I Get another tester and write it up, however I am submitting a CVE And reporting it to google/zte. It is particularly dangerous (as far as malware abusing it).

Reactions: chunk351

chunk351

Dec 30, 2011
I can confirm it works..I am now rooted!

jcase said he will post later... was able to remove the annoying at&t apps and gain back 30mb using titanium back...now to learn how to flash a custom rom...

schoolage

Aug 5, 2010
There are detailed instructions for rooting, unlocking, other ROMs and more on a Russian site but I don't understand much of it. If anyone can help out it would be great!

I'm prevented from posting links here but search for zte Roamer unlock.

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
There are detailed instructions for rooting, unlocking, other ROMs and more on a Russian site but I don't understand much of it. If anyone can help out it would be great!

I'm prevented from posting links here but search for zte Roamer unlock.

we know about this - i'm fluent in russian. none of their file links work - it's an old thread on 4pda forums. you can use translate.google.com or several other engines, to translate web pages in real time.

chunk351

Dec 30, 2011
according to ZTE although they share the same model numbers they have different radios (IE GSM / CDMA) and flashing the roamer to the avail will brick it. Apparently ZTE has not gotten the concept of using distinct model numbers yet...

Reactions: RelentlessRampage

shimapan

Jun 18, 2009
I was able to get root by simply entering *983*7668#. watch the screen and you will see a message that says wait a few minutes for root. I then installed superuser and Titanium Backup proceeded to remove the apps I didn't want/need, I was also able to backup everything else that I wanted to! :)

How did you run Titanium Backup without installing a su binary?

theloon

It just worked, even after a fresh flashing of the T card image.bin from ZTE.

Oh and heres a little batch file with needed files to automate jcase's procedure. :)

Attachments

• z990.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got a couple of PMs that I guess should be posted here to simplify things:

Easy root, no download all from the phone:
    (Open Dialer)
    1.) Dial *983*7668# (do not hit send - you should see a message come up about being root)
    2.) Dial *983*24737# (do not hit send - you should see a message saying disabling QID)
    3.) Go to market and download and install Superuser by chainsdd or ddchains -- should be the first in the list
    4.) Run Superuser, hit the menu button, then select preferences, scroll down to Su Binary and do the update

then you should be all set, you may also consider installing busybox as a few root tools require it.

If using the phone with straight talk:

Download "APN Backup & Restore" from the market. Delete all apns then add the straight talk apn

APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: n/a
    Port: 80
    Username: n/a
    Password: n/a
    Server: n/a
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 410
    Authentication type: n/a
    APN Type: default, supl

I know that the Straight Talk Sim site tells you to use their internet proxy, I am assuming this is to try to limit your bandwidth. I have used it for 2 months without the proxy and just setup a friends avail (I really do like this phone and he bought it on my recommendation) with the above settings.

It just worked, even after a fresh flashing of the T card image.bin from ZTE.

Oh and heres a little batch file with needed files to automate jcase's procedure. :)
    i got the same phone with at&t....was unable to root it either, but i only tried super one click...

good luck and share, if you find a way.

I am soooo close just need that extra little bit of help, I will get it and when I do I will definitely share. I've only had a droid for 2 weeks and I have come this far, I am not going to stop. I have a BS in Computer Science and used to be a MCSE, I don't know this tech well enough yet but I will. Just hoping someone on here has the skillset I need to help complete this,
    We got root, just need a forum to post, and maybe anotehr tester if someone is interested.

Shoot me a pm