[GUIDE] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [Video Walkthrough]

Search This thread

mickey78

Apr 29, 2009
Very nice tut. I just got my tab yesterday, but I was reading on the forum for a couple days already to prepare myself. I'm glad you posted this because it looks easy enough. I'm very good with computers, but this is new to me. I have a question though, from what I understand, this guide will root my device, but how should I go if I want to reflash it with a rom ? Could someone do a quick guide for this, starting from where you guide left of.

Thanks!!

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Very nice tut. I just got my tab yesterday, but I was reading on the forum for a couple days already to prepare myself. I'm glad you posted this because it looks easy enough. I'm very good with computers, but this is new to me. I have a question though, from what I understand, this guide will root my device, but how should I go if I want to reflash it with a rom ? Could someone do a quick guide for this, starting from where you guide left of.

Thanks!!

Yes I'll make be making a tutorial for this.

cooljonL

Jul 17, 2010
Leicester
Followed this guide and I now have one rooted GT with pershot's Kernal! Excellent work. It was so easy to follow!

egozum

May 10, 2010
I recently buy a galaxy tab 10.1 can i use this to root it. my device is 7500XXKH5 WIFI/3G

mroletta

Jul 12, 2007
RE

Any suggestions if Odin doesn't see my tab 10.1 in download mode? I installed the drivers successfully, and Odin sees a connection if the tab is in the android OS, but as soon as I enable debugging and reboot into download mode, Odin won't see any connection/com.

I'll try another PC when I get home, but just curious if anyone had any thoughts?

rickyq12

Jul 31, 2010
Austin, TX
Austin,TX

djR3Z...

Hey bro, I am not rooted yet...haven't tried, but I will soon. With that said, awesome guide. Well written and looking forward to getting my Tab rooted. I noticed that you live in Austin, so do I. :) This is great news to have someone living in the same city as me that knows their stuff with Android and this awesome Galaxy Tab. Will send you a private msg.

Thanks for the guide.

rickyq12

Jul 31, 2010
Austin, TX
ODIN

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G...rooted. My question, can I use the same Odin that I use for my Epic 4G for my Galaxy Tab?

Thanks.

jtdc

Aug 17, 2008
Geylang
Hi. Like others had said I praise also the noob friendly instructions. Does the android version matter in this? I run 3.1 and the software update says there's an update, I downloaded it but not installed it yet. Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G...rooted. My question, can I use the same Odin that I use for my Epic 4G for my Galaxy Tab?

Thanks.

Yes as long as its updated it should be the same.

Hi. Like others had said I praise also the noob friendly instructions. Does the android version matter in this? I run 3.1 and the software update says there's an update, I downloaded it but not installed it yet. Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Whenever you can avoid updating, you should. I didn't try on the latest but if you happened to update, there's no harm in trying. If you do, let me know how it goes.

Kasha

Sep 1, 2010
Moscow
This thread should be sticky!

A painless process of rooting, very simple and fast, especially if you have some experience with Odin and clockworkmod!

Thank you!

josenoel

Apr 15, 2007
Galaxy Tab 10.1(750)-India

Hi

I would like to know whether this will work on my 16GB tab GT-P7500 Indian version WIFI+3G

Thanks In advance

LordFuzzy024

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
Worked great on my 16GB WiFi Only device. Great Tutorial.

Side Note: In Vista or Windows 7 its suggested to Run Odin to "Run as Administrator"

Reactions: svennipp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A big thanks to RoboBear, tphillips, Lorddeff07, and anyone else that has helped make this happen.

I try to make my guides simple and straightforward so that the average user can root their device. I show every detail and walk you through the process. This guide is a complete video walkthrough on how to root the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi with edits based on the issues that some may run into with previous guides. Without further ado, let's get started!

LINK TO MOD EDIT:eek:utdated links

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

Just download, do not install or run anything yet.

◄●Instructions●►

This method is done on Windows. I recommend this way as its the easiest. If you don't have Windows, borrow from a friend.

◄●Downloading Files and Installing Drivers●►

1. Download the I have linked.
    2. Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting "Extract All," or by using an extracting program of your choice.
    3. Open the folder and double click the driver file labeled "GT-p7510_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0-Escape.exe"
    4. Install the driver. Its pretty much just Next, Next, Install, and Exit when its done.

◄●Connecting the Device●►

1. Turn on USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development and checking USB debugging. Click Okay to confirm
    2. Power off the device by holding the power button and selecting Power off
    3. Put the device into Downloading mode
      1. Hold the Vol Down button (the left Volume button) and then hold the Power button as well.
      2. Keep holding until you see two icons. First you'll see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 logo and then the icons will show up. Let go.
      3. Press the Vol Up button (the right Volume button) to select Downloading mode.
    4. Connect the device to your computer with the USB cable.

◄●Flashing a Custom Recovery●►

1. Go into the same root folder as before.
    2. Double click the root application named "Odin3_v1.85.exe"
    3. Select PDA
    4. Double click the clockworkmod recovery file labeled "recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5" to select it.
    5. Click Start
    6. Once it is complete, you can close the program

◄●Completing the Root●►

1. Disconnect your USB cable
    2. On your device, turn off USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development and unchecking USB debugging
    3. Plug your USB cable back in
    4. On your computer, go to the same root folder as before and transfer the zip file labeled "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" to your device. Don't put it inside any folder.
    5. Confirm that it was transferred by clicking inside the device folder
    6. Power off the device by holding the power button and selecting Power off
    7. Put the device into Recovery mode
      1. Hold the Vol Down button (the left Volume button) and then hold the Power button as well.
      2. Keep holding until you see two icons. First you'll see the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 logo and then the icons will show up. Let go.
      3. Press the Vol Down button (the left Volume button) to highlight the left icon.
      4. Press the Vol Up button (the right Volume button) to select Recovery mode.
    8. You should see that you are in ClockworkMod Recovery. If not, start over
    9. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Install zip from SD card" and hit the Power button to select it.
    10. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Choose zip from SD card" and hit the Power button to select it.
    11. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" and hit the Power button to select it.
    12. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Yes - Install..." and hit the Power button to select it.
    13. When it finishes, the last line should say "Install from sdcard complete."
    14. Use the volume buttons to highlight "*****Go Back*****" and hit the Power button to select it.
    15. Hit the Power button to select "reboot system now"
    16. Your device will reboot

You're now rooted!
    I love how you have proper grammar and punctuation skills. Spacing is good, fonts are bold where they need to be, this is how a guide should look!

All guides should be written like this, can u offer classes for the uneducated?
    I love how you have proper grammar and punctuation skills. Spacing is good, fonts are bold where they need to be, this is how a guide should look!

All guides should be written like this, can u offer classes for the uneducated?

Would there be a higher demand for that than my guides? lol. But thanks a lot, I appreciate it :) Just trying to make it easy for everyone.
    Root.Zip link is broken

A big thanks to RoboBear, tphillips, Lorddeff07, and anyone else that has helped make this happen.

I try to make my guides simple and straightforward so that the average user can root their device. I show every detail and walk you through the process. This guide is a complete video walkthrough on how to root the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi with edits based on the issues that some may run into with previous guides. Without further ado, let's get started!

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE Galaxy Tab 10.1 (WiFi)

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

Just download, do not install or run anything yet.

◄●Instructions●►

This method is done on Windows. I recommend this way as its the easiest. If you don't have Windows, borrow from a friend.

◄●Downloading Files and Installing Drivers●►

1. Download the root.zip I have linked.
    2. Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting "Extract All," or by using an extracting program of your choice.
    3. Open the folder and double click the driver file labeled "GT-p7510_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0-Escape.exe"
    4. Install the driver. Its pretty much just Next, Next, Install, and Exit when its done.

◄●Connecting the Device●►

1. Turn on USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development and checking USB debugging. Click Okay to confirm
    2. Power off the device by holding the power button and selecting Power off
    3. Put the device into Downloading mode
      3. Press the Vol Up button (the right Volume button) to select Downloading mode.
    4. Connect the device to your computer with the USB cable.

◄●Flashing a Custom Recovery●►

1. Go into the same root folder as before.
    2. Double click the root application named "Odin3_v1.85.exe"
    3. Select PDA
    4. Double click the clockworkmod recovery file labeled "recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.tar.md5" to select it.
    5. Click Start
    6. Once it is complete, you can close the program

◄●Completing the Root●►

1. Disconnect your USB cable
    2. On your device, turn off USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development and unchecking USB debugging
    3. Plug your USB cable back in
    4. On your computer, go to the same root folder as before and transfer the zip file labeled "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" to your device. Don't put it inside any folder.
    5. Confirm that it was transferred by clicking inside the device folder
    6. Power off the device by holding the power button and selecting Power off
    7. Put the device into Recovery mode
      3. Press the Vol Down button (the left Volume button) to highlight the left icon.
      4. Press the Vol Up button (the right Volume button) to select Recovery mode.
    8. You should see that you are in ClockworkMod Recovery. If not, start over
    9. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Install zip from SD card" and hit the Power button to select it.
    10. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Choose zip from SD card" and hit the Power button to select it.
    11. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip" and hit the Power button to select it.
    12. Use the volume buttons to highlight "Yes - Install..." and hit the Power button to select it.
    13. When it finishes, the last line should say "Install from sdcard complete."
    14. Use the volume buttons to highlight "*****Go Back*****" and hit the Power button to select it.
    15. Hit the Power button to select "reboot system now"
    16. Your device will reboot

You're now rooted!

root.Zip link is broken
    Hi,

Soon i will get my Tab 10.1 3G...
    So my Q is, will this work also on a 3G model? And i read a lot of stuff about a locked Boot loader?? do i have to unlock it first?? Or can i just use this method?

Thx in avance...

This method is for the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Works on a 3G P7500 as well. Thats the one you proberly bought in Holland... :p

So the short answer is: Yes!