WiFi issues

Search This thread

murryrulz

Oct 1, 2010
Anyone else with WiFi issues? 90% of the time I have no problems but 10% of the time it seems the connection hangs. Data transfer will pause and resume 30 secs or a minute later. I have tested this with speed test and was able to reproduce. Happens on both my 2ghz and 5ghz networks. I am rooted but I'm going to do a factory reset to see if issue persists. I do know it's not my WiFi as my other devices have no trouble. But this is quite annoying.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bjamerican

Nov 17, 2010
Honolulu
Anyone else with WiFi issues? 90% of the time I have no problems but 10% of the time it seems the connection hangs. Data transfer will pause and resume 30 secs or a minute later. I have tested this with speed test and was able to reproduce. Happens on both my 2ghz and 5ghz networks. I am rooted but I'm going to do a factory reset to see if issue persists. I do know it's not my WiFi as my other devices have no trouble. But this is quite annoying.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Are you by chance using an Apple router or access point? For some reason, they don't seem to play well with Android devices, including my M8. I've had a similar experience with 4 Android devices and 2 different Apple routers. The devices continuously disconnect and reconnect.

murryrulz

Oct 1, 2010
No I'm using an Asus ac66. The funny thing is the connection doesn't drop. It always says connected. The data just stops flowing and then starts again. For example I'll run a speed test and the download will pause then start up again. Very odd. Never had a phone do this before

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
I've got an Apple Airport Extreme. I also have several Android devices. Have had many that I no long have or use. I've never had any problem with my wifi on any of them. I have to wonder if your problem isn't related to something else. Or, possibly your router needs to be replaced. Might be a matter of settings too. But, like I said, I've never had any problems with mine.

insertnewsn

Mar 9, 2009
Brooklyn
Within the "Advanced Wi-Fi" settings there is an auto-enabled option called "Wi-Fi Optimization" which minimizes battery usage when Wi-Fi is on. I assume this monitors for extended periods of inactivity (screen off, no active downloads, etc.) and temporarily disables/hibernates Wi-Fi activity.

I've kept this option enabled and haven't had any issues so far, but maybe you could try testing with/without this setting enabled? Another thing to try would be checking highly-used radio channels in your area with an application like InSSIDer and making sure your router is broadcasting on a low-use channel. I see no correlation with the radio channel and your new M8, but it's worth a try :)

jojomexi

Apr 7, 2014
Within the "Advanced Wi-Fi" settings there is an auto-enabled option called "Wi-Fi Optimization" which minimizes battery usage when Wi-Fi is on. I assume this monitors for extended periods of inactivity (screen off, no active downloads, etc.) and temporarily disables/hibernates Wi-Fi activity.

I've kept this option enabled and haven't had any issues so far, but maybe you could try testing with/without this setting enabled? Another thing to try would be checking highly-used radio channels in your area with an application like InSSIDer and making sure your router is broadcasting on a low-use channel. I see no correlation with the radio channel and your new M8, but it's worth a try :)

I have the same issues. and ive turned off wifi optimizaiton, ive set my wifi control frequency to 149, ive tried to switch between 2.4 and 5ghz. i feel like my issue is with the phone not picking up the wifi signals very well... we live in a brick house, and the asus ac68u sits right in the middle of th house, and my room is only right around the corner. everyone elses phone picks up 5ghz or 2.4ghz frequency fine in my room, even my gf's M8 (we bought ours from verizon same time for the deal). i literally get wifi in my rom 10% of the time or its choppy and slow. so everytime im in my room i have to switch to cellular :|