FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I bricked my captivate last night. It is possible to recover a black-screen bricked Captivate with JTAG. I was reading about using JTAG and it seems that RIFF is the most supported option. Basically, you use JTAG as a special serial device where you can send data directly to the board. It's how they load it at the factory.

I want to come up with a way to unbrick a captivate, but I don't want to spend $150 on a RIFF. It seems like overkill for such a small job. You can make a JTAG connection with 4 resistors and a parallel cable. I don't have a parallel cable on my computer.

Here's a pinout.

You can make your own JTAG (see attached file )

While I don't have a parallel port, I do have an Arduino. It is possible to set it up as a JTAG with a small bit of code.

I keep getting this question.. where can I get the parts and how do I do this? Well, you will get the parts from this post and I don't have any good recommendations about an interface board.
Quote:

I'd have to say that this method is doable by anyone who knows how to use a solder and flux well.

You will need
Header: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...VM5XnLHw%3d%3d
Receptical:http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...VyeT43Dg%3d%3d
Soldering iron
Solder
desoldering sucker (just in case)
Flux
Sponge
super glue
alcohol
sewing needle
tweezers

How to apply the header:
1. flux the pads on the board
2. clean the iron with a sponge
3. apply a bead of solder to the tip of your iron
4. drag the soldering iron lightly across the board until the solder beads up on top of the pads (DO NOT TOUCH THE IRON TO THE PADS, they can be lifted) to tin the pads
5. apply flux to the header
6. tin the header
7. set tinned header on top of tinned pads
8. clean the soldering iron
9. carefully depress the individual pins on the header with the hot, clean, soldering iron
10. use a magnifying glass to verify all connections are against the board.
11. using a needle, apply superglue to the corners of the header
12. wait 1 hour
13. Clean with alcohol

As I said before, I got the receptacle board from "k-ww" on forums.hackaday.com
The receptacle installs the same way. You will need 30awg wire for the receptacle board breakout. You can see how I did it above.

In this picture the closest side has been cleaned with alcohol. The far side has burned flux on it.

I'm wondering what files do you send to the JTAG port? I suppose I'll find out soon enough. I purchased a spare phone today and I've got a development Captivate on the way. I will be attempting to pull the JTAG flash out of the phone if there isn't one available on-line somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Making a JTag Cable.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.03 MB, 28835 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)