S-Notes versus LectureNotes

Search This thread

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
I like S note's Selection of pens, also writing in lecture notes lookes jagged and pixelated. I also appreciate the transform tool in S note

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
The new S Note is a great improvement, but I am still using Lecture Notes, mostly because it can use the SD card.

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
The new S Note is a great improvement, but I am still using Lecture Notes, mostly because it can use the SD card.

How can it use the SD card? I write a lot of notes and I tried figuring out how to save to external SD or to export in Lecture Notes format (if I export to PDF it doesn't look that great), but couldn't figure it out.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

also writing in lecture notes lookes jagged and pixelated.

Can you make the resolution higher in notebook setup in order to get rid of the jagged look? It's a concern of mine as well. I just don't have the Note with me at the moment to try it out.

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
How can it use the SD card? I write a lot of notes and I tried figuring out how to save to external SD or to export in Lecture Notes format (if I export to PDF it doesn't look that great), but couldn't figure it out.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Can you make the resolution higher in notebook setup in order to get rid of the jagged look? It's a concern of mine as well. I just don't have the Note with me at the moment to try it out.

I just tried increasing the resolution of the paper, it makes it look even more jagged :(

Last edited:

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
:mad:Here is my 2 cents in using snotes and others working with pdfs

Things I like about snote:
Keeps the use of pressure sensitivity. This is something very special about our spens and I like the feel. I want to keep it when I'm writing.
This might sound stupid but this makes the writing feel the most realistic and not so machine like.

Once I'm in the editing mode I stay in the editing mode. Unlike ezpdf and lecturenotes where I have to hit the pen to start writing again and hand/back to scroll. I found this really annoying. For people annotating it may not be an issue but if you're actually taking notes and such it's a pain.

All the other special tricks with spen work in snotes well because it was made for it.

Negatives:
It has to import pdfs...This was the worst. It can't just open it as a pdf and start editing. Probably creating image type files. Not sure how lecturenotes imports pdfs because it's not available for the trial version. I imported a 200+ page pdf and it took longer than expected but now that
I have an expected time frame I may be able to deal with it.

Since it's not keeping the integrity of the pdf it can screw up some things while importing.
I'm a math guy and it screwed up a few notations here and there.

Scrolling...call me lazy but continuous scrolling is beautiful. Although I didn't like the fact that you can't be in between pages in ezpdf. While scrolling and you let go the page will automatically place itself so you see either the previous page or next page on the screen (depending on how far you let the split go past the screen).

Snote's scrolling is swipe or hit arrow right at bottom of screen. Swipe right is too slow. Animations are nice but unnecessary when turning the page. I usually like keeping the writing area in the middle of the screen. Also a reason why I want to be able to put the bottom of the page in the middle. But my hand being in the middle i think its annoying to go down to hit the right arrow. Just me being an annoying *****.

Hope this helps someone out there. =)

Edit: realized I was missing the add on to import pdfs for lecturenotes.
With short use it has a lot that I wanted. Now I dont know what I should use...

Edit 2 played with settings and im purchasing it now

While this is true, it gets annoying when you actually press your hand on the screen to write. Because it's 1 finger scroll and your palm is recognized as a finger input it scrolls instead of writes.
@chrisnee you are probably zoomed in way too close if it appears pixelated.
Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
While this is true, it gets annoying when you actually press your hand on the screen to write. Because it's 1 finger scroll and your palm is recognized as a finger input it scrolls instead of writes.
@chrisnee you are probably zoomed in way too close if it appears pixelated.
Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Portrait - no zoom, it looks ok, still quite a bit worse than how handwriting looks in S Notes. But the lines from the ruled paper are too small to write on in portrait.
Landscape - some zoom, hand writing looks passable when using the included s pen but sometimes it still gets wavy and jagged. When using the surface pen (maybe its more sensative), it looks terrible.

Point is handwriting doesn't look nearly as nice and smooth as it does on S Note.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Han Solo 1: You can set LectureNotes' app directory in the app's storage settings. Note that it requires an app restart for a change to take effect and that existing notebooks will not be copied to the new location. To transfer the notebooks, backup the notebooks board at the old location and restore the notebooks board from the backup at the new location.
@ChrisNee1988: The jagged tails are a problem on many Samsung devices. Enable the pressure filter in the filter setup with a threshold of 5% to 10% in the app's input settings (whether you enable `enforce lifting´ or not is a matter of taste, most users disable that), this should resolve the problem.
@ChrisNee1988 & dteg: If you click at the `?` aside `paper size´, LectureNotes gives recommendations concerning paper width and height, dependent on device orientation.
@ChrisNee1988 & Han Solo 1: The distance between lines can be adjusted in the notebook settings (or directly when creating a new notebook). If you click on the `?´ aside `paper pattern´, LectureNotes gives recommendations concerning the scale (for instance, if you wish to have rued paper with 10mm distance if you print the notebook on A4).

Note that there are numerous more paper pattern, so-called custom paper pattern, coded in JavaScript. To see them, click on `custom´ as paper pattern, this brings up the JavaScript editor. Then, select `use template´ in the main menu, this brings up an overview of the examples. To select one, click on it, this copies the code into the editor. Click on `back´ and confirm to use it for the notebook.

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
@Han Solo 1: You can set LectureNotes' app directory in the app's storage settings. Note that it requires an app restart for a change to take effect and that existing notebooks will not be copied to the new location. To transfer the notebooks, backup the notebooks board at the old location and restore the notebooks board from the backup at the new location.

@ChrisNee1988: The jagged tails are a problem on many Samsung devices. Enable the pressure filter in the filter setup with a threshold of 5% to 10% in the app's input settings (whether you enable `enforce lifting´ or not is a matter of taste, most users disable that), this should resolve the problem.

@ChrisNee1988 & dteg: If you click at the `?` aside `paper size´, LectureNotes gives recommendations concerning paper width and height, dependent on device orientation.

@ChrisNee1988 & Han Solo 1: The distance between lines can be adjusted in the notebook settings (or directly when creating a new notebook). If you click on the `?´ aside `paper pattern´, LectureNotes gives recommendations concerning the scale (for instance, if you wish to have rued paper with 10mm distance if you print the notebook on A4).

Note that there are numerous more paper pattern, so-called custom paper pattern, coded in JavaScript. To see them, click on `custom´ as paper pattern, this brings up the JavaScript editor. Then, select `use template´ in the main menu, this brings up an overview of the examples. To select one, click on it, this copies the code into the editor. Click on `back´ and confirm to use it for the notebook.

Great post, thanks!

wilsonhuang

Oct 25, 2011
Lecture notes is a great app even better than s notes. However it feels very complicated to learn and use since I'm coming from s note. How do you make the pressure sensitivity of s note the same in lecture notes?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
Lecture notes is a great app even better than s notes. However it feels very complicated to learn and use since I'm coming from s note. How do you make the pressure sensitivity of s note the same in lecture notes?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Go to Settings - Handling - and select Use Pressure sensitive standard pencils. Theres some settings that you can tweak, i'm still playing around with them.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@wilsonhuang: A common reason of slow response is that `enforce GPU/hardware rendering´ is enabled in the device's developer settings, this slows down LectureNotes a lot.

You can make the standard pencil pressure sensitive (as described by ChrisNee1988) as well as each of the 18 custom pencil individually.

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Portrait - no zoom, it looks ok, still quite a bit worse than how handwriting looks in S Notes. But the lines from the ruled paper are too small to write on in portrait.
Landscape - some zoom, hand writing looks passable when using the included s pen but sometimes it still gets wavy and jagged. When using the surface pen (maybe its more sensative), it looks terrible.

Point is handwriting doesn't look nearly as nice and smooth as it does on S Note.

You can change the size of the lines. It defaults to 33, raise it to like 45. If you thicken the pen little it will look smoother. also, try increasing the softness just a little.

dteg

Nov 24, 2012
FL
see, this is why i love xda, where else do the actual developers come and post help when we start threads. this alone shows how good lecturenotes is, when you get in trouble they come and answer all questions lol.

Han Solo 1

Aug 28, 2013
Acadoid, is there any way to use a custom image as a notebook cover, or are we only able to use the solid color/first page image?

Reactions: razzbaronz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@Han Solo 1 & razzbaronz: Long-click on the cover in the notebook/folder settings (or when creating a new notebook/folder), then choose `image´ and select the image.
    I was especially excited by the idea of syncing S Note and Evernote, because premium means you can share notebooks with clients, but it is not working as I would like. It syncs easily, but what you get in Evernote is just a jpeg of the page, so you can’t really edit any of it. So I have been searching and trying a lot of note taking apps and they all have weaknesses and strengths but I cannot think why someone hasn't combined them into one app to rule them all. I really can’t imagine it is just me that needs this, and that my user-case would be pretty normal for most people.

So here is a bit of a list of who is doing what, and what they have got right (I may make a video about this to better explain and illustrate these points).

1. Handy Note
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appbody.handyNote.note.free.google
    This is simply the best for syncing to Evernote because it’s the only one that keeps the text editable after syncing. It gives you the raw text, so maybe not positioned on the page as it is in within the note app, however it also provides single images for the picture/drawing parts, and one big Jpeg of all the elements as you had them placed on the page.

So this is what i get after syncing/exporting a Handy Note to Evernote:

a) An image of the page as it is in Handy Note. (I have scaled the images down for this email).

<PastedGraphic-1.tiff> (XDA CHECK ATTACHMENTS)

b) The image on the page.

<PastedGraphic-2.tiff> (XDA CHECK ATTACHMENTS)

c: The text on the page, still able to edit from within Evernote.

Can you help me? Post this on your wechat, thank you: Tycoon在美团网有团购喽!丰盛四人套餐只需288元,二人浪漫套餐仅需98元,还有用38元代50元现金券哟。你只需要上meituan.com,搜索"太酷西餐酒廊",你就会看到所有套餐,点击你所喜欢的,快快来品尝正宗西方美食吧!

All of the other apps either make just a Jpeg, or a PDF which can’t be opened and edited within Evernote, or coped to editor of your choice.

I don’t really like the UI, they have a great idea with page templates (e.g. calendar, meeting minutes) but it’s not really working for me just yet, syncing seems to save all the pages as different notes, which is OK because I think you could export to a certain Note book in Evernote, combining them.

I’m not sure if they know they are syncing the best, because I may have just stumbled across that by chance rather than something they really promote. They are obviously quite creative with their ideas but it just needs refining.

2. S Note
    Still a winner just for simple ease of use between apps. Taking things from gallery, scrapbook, adding dynamic elements like links are all pretty powerful and just feels like an all in one app. The UI is OK and the added widgets are useful. It really does Sync with Evernote, rather than export or share, but it’s just the way it does it that needs some work.

3. Notes Mobile
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visionobjects.notesmobile&hl=en
    This is great because you can handwrite anywhere on the page and it will transform your handwriting to text and place it where you wrote. This is super useful because it saves on space, and you can go back and edit. I think this added freedom of being able to write anywhere on the page is what most note apps are missing. This company have built their own handwriting recognition software, Stylus Beta, which is what i actually use for my handwriting input in all my apps. It’s amazing. So in a way this is more than a note-taking app but maybe they would like to cooperate on a project which pushes their note taking app to the next level. They aren’t the only ones making apps with their own handwriting recognition, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sevenknowledge.sevennotesproducten&hl=en, but this has terrible UI, they impose their crappy keyboard along with the handwriting input and it didn’t sync too well.

4. Awesome Note
    http://www.bridworks.com/anote/eng/
    These guys have really thought about the end user and are utilising everything that a note taking app has the potential to do and organises it well. As with Handy Note and a few others they are going for this page template style, e.g. todo lists, but here, rather than making it a page it acts a bit like an app within an app. Unfortunately Awesome Note isn’t really built for the Note 3 and it doesn’t display properly but I can tell that the UI, and how it’s organised is probably the best around.

5. Skitch
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote.skitch&hl=en
    This isn’t really a note taking app, more for annotation but I add it because it has some simple but powerful tools. Nearly all the apps seem to focus on being mainly text, or mainly sketch, and a few with symbols/clip art. So this is definitely something that would make a good option to include i.e. some bold and clear common annotation tools/symbols.

6. Sketchbook
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adsk.sketchbookhd&hl=en
    I’m adding this just to raise a point of where notebook and drawing app become separated. The ability to make a decent diagram (that’s done nicely in S Note, with a sort of auto-feature), or just to make a quick doodle of an OK standard is a must. I mean you can always open sketchbook or photoshop touch and make some art, save as an image and import but for on-the-fly sketches, in meetings etc., there is a need for a decent set of art tools. Nothing as fancy as other drawing apps (using layers etc) but pressure sensitive pencil, felt, brush, shapes and with a full spectrum of colours would be great. Some note apps are doing this where as others seem to have ignored it a bit too much.

7. Fit Tight Planner
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theBest&hl=en
    A basic note taking app that overlays a calendar template. It doesn’t offer functions of a real calendar app but I can see a lot of people asking for this, and in real life I have worked with a few people that combine their diary and notes together on the fly like this. It’s just a nice way to keep notes organised.

8. S-Pen Voice
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.welldonecom.android.spenvoice.free&hl=en
    Again, another note taking app that seems to just focus on one way of taking notes - with recorded screen and sound. I can see this being really useful in meetings but again - it is single purpose meaning that you have to switch apps to do other things and they are all restrained by individual export options.

9. ezPDF Reader
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=udk.android.reader.trial&hl=en
    Being able to open and edit PDFs. This may be going a bit too far with how powerful should a single app be, and poses the question of being able to open MS Docs too, but why not?

10. Lecture Notes
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotestrial&hl=en
    Great recognition of a market specific need, utilising the ability to open and edit pdfs but no way to transform handwritten notes to text.

So it’s just a big mix up at the moment. It seems that every developer has focused on one specific area, be it handwriting recognition, art tools, templates, combining file types, export options but none of them have settled and started to develop in other areas. For me I can still use the phone for note-taking but just like my pen and paper, anything I do has to be rewritten on a computer before it can be used or shared properly. All of these apps are winners in one way or another they just need to be combined.

Well I have struggled a bit to explain myself, and might be best of making a video and seeing which developers might take notice and possibly even collaborate. The technology and software is here, it just needs a bit of organising.

What do you think? Do you have any others you could add to the list? What about people’s requests or problems on the forums? I really don’t know how big the market is and how many companies work on these projects full-time but I would if I could, and I would hope there would be enough profit to make it appealing for others that can.

XDA - I have an Awesome Note apk, installed it but the resolution displays it badly. I have used Xposed App Settings to try and change it but no luck. That's how I stumbled across this thread. I am holding onto hope for awesome note (it says it syncs with evernote) because like I said above, the others are great but not quite what I need.

Great post, thanks!
    Does LectureNotes have handwriting to text conversion? I have been using MyScript Notes Mobile which does do this but it begins to get laggy after 2-3 pages in terms of the screen delay from writing to on screen. When I used LN, it's near instant which is awesome and I really like it overall but converting to text is really big as I export QC scripts a lot.