Place for LCD replacement?

Search This thread

HibikiRush

Jan 29, 2011
After a move, was rearranging some stuff around and something fell of course by luck on my phone. LCD has cracking and won't power on, glass seems fine.

Called 3 local repair shops and none of them can fix it. Called Samsung and they want $120 but will format the phone (which I want to avoid as it's a pain to get everything back up and running).

Anyone know of any other mail in repair shops that can repair the LCD on this phone? With T-Mobile not even selling this anymore it seems like it'll be harder and harder to get repair for it unless going direct to Samsung

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Everywhere I've looked on line a new LCD/digitizer combo costs about 100$ so 120 isn't bad for oem fix but if they are saying it will format the phone what they mean is the will just give you a new one as there is no reason to format a phone when replacing this

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

HibikiRush

Jan 29, 2011
Everywhere I've looked on line a new LCD/digitizer combo costs about 100$ so 120 isn't bad for oem fix but if they are saying it will format the phone what they mean is the will just give you a new one as there is no reason to format a phone when replacing this

Hm, yeah I might have to go with it at their price since every place I have called so far cannot repair it. And they didn't specifically say new phone, they said all of my content on my phone will be lost because they have to reflash. I got pissed because I really don't want to go through the process of setting everything up again (I just refreshed my phone a month ago)

N

Nardholio

One nice thing about sliders is there is another option to replacing the screen assembly... you may be able to replace the entire top half of the assembly

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

HibikiRush

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the tip but I don't have any experience with mobile repair so I would not want to attempt that.

Does nobody know of any repair shops that can undertake a repair of this phone? Samsung is telling me that it is mandatory for them to format the phone's data ("for my safety and their technicians' safety") and I don't want to do this because I don't recall when the last backup was made.

Anybody out there know of any mail-in repair shops that have or can get the parts? I am desperate. The repair process for carrier exclusive/not popular phones is awful.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Safety? That makes little sense but so be it. Hell I'll do it for you without a format, you just would have to pay for shipping and the screen assembly. Would give me an excuse to tear this phone apart

HibikiRush

Jan 29, 2011
Safety? That makes little sense but so be it. Hell I'll do it for you without a format, you just would have to pay for shipping and the screen assembly. Would give me an excuse to tear this phone apart

Thanks for offering but I caved in to Samsung, couldn't find any other options and my current replacement phone (HTC G2) is garbage so couldn't wait much longer. I just copied over the root of the phone and will have to deal with redownloading apps, had some recent backup of the app list from a month back or so...

And yeah I got into a bit of a discussion with the supervisor at Samsung about the "safety" reasoning. It's a dumb policy, and I think as a consumer we should have an option to authorize a repair without a format, but as a corporation I guess they are entitled to having stupid policies in place.

Hamsteriel

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Sorry for piggybacking on this thread,

Is it possible to obtain the assembly from a model with a bad esn?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Sure! You can use everything but the logic board, actually if the one with a bad esn is in good shape, just swap boards and you're done!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Hamsteriel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sure! You can use everything but the logic board, actually if the one with a bad esn is in good shape, just swap boards and you're done!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app