Nexus 10 KitKat First Impressions

Search This thread

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
My first thought... what did they do to the settings menu?! It almost seems like the Nexus 10 OTA is really a phone-optimized version. It lacks the dual-pane view that we had in 4.3.

4ema9aqu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My first thought... what did they do to the settings menu?! It almost seems like the Nexus 10 OTA is really a phone-optimized version. It lacks the dual-pane view that we had in 4.3.

4ema9aqu.jpg

Very bad and strange.
How are Google apps (e.g. gmail) behaving? Tablet or phone mode?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2011

4ema9aqu.jpg

This is so sad. I bought the Xoom on launch day and although it had many bugs it has an amazing desktop ui and got better with time! I bought the Nexus 10 not long after launch and its doing the opposite, getting worse as it ages. If tablet ui is going to become more phone like I'm going to try a Nexus 7..........or an IPad..........

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
This is so sad. I bought the Xoom on launch day and although it had many bugs it has an amazing desktop ui and got better with time! I bought the Nexus 10 not long after launch and its doing the opposite, getting worse as it ages. If tablet ui is going to become more phone like I'm going to try a Nexus 7..........or an IPad..........

I might try an lg tablet in the future like g pad or the one after it. It looks amazing but a little expensive. I'm sure if enough people ask for it Google will fix this mess. They could send out a small update to change it back to tablet mode and add in whatevers missing. But it seems to me they were just focusing on the nexus 5 and just rushing the other devices

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
I just manually updated mine.. been playing around with it and it seems to handle multitasking a bit better. Less app refresh. Also less homescreen redraws.

Oh, and I still prefer the old bootup screen. This new one looks cartoonish

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk 4

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Just had a hard reboot while ironically enough, loading the factory image page in Chrome..

So it begins....

Sent from my Nexus 10

Theory

Sep 21, 2008
I think it's a bit early to judge the battery...

Just flashed the new update. The settings are silly and there should have been transparency and ART, but it's okay, i guess

The history log on battery monitor widget pro reports the tablet as drawing quite a bit more power when in screen off standby compared to 4.3. It used to be less than -10mA. Now, it can be up to -300mA, but slowly declining after that to -81mA. I'm not sure if it's really drawing that much more power, or there's something about the way the data is collected that is skewing the results. I'm not noticing a significant difference in the power draw as reported on battery monitor widget pro for screen on usage though.

zolah

Oct 13, 2010
Sound's like I might be keeping 4.3 then...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

...mARiO³

Jan 24, 2008
Milan
I've noticed better colors.
Or maybe just a better behave of the light sensor (I'm pretty sure about that... finally!)

Less homescreen redraws, I used to hate that thing.

No hard reboots so far, but it's only half a day...

And yes, new settings layout really sucks, I hope Google fix that soon.

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Some disappointing reports here and the lack of transparent navbar and not ART piss me off. I'm a big Google fan and love Android but must say Android updates/releases have become a bit boring. It's seems innovation in Android has slowed to a crawl. I sure hope it's just temporary with all the changes in the Android team and they get back on track soon...

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Some disappointing reports here and the lack of transparent navbar and not ART piss me off. I'm a big Google fan and love Android but must say Android updates/releases have become a bit boring. It's seems innovation in Android has slowed to a crawl. I sure hope it's just temporary with all the changes in the Android team and they get back on track soon...

I can leave without art (a beta stuff for app devs) all the other missing parts are crazy. Isn't this the b....dy Google flagship tablet? :thumbdown:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, they can't follow their own guidelines. Are they abandoning this market? Despite the full-size iPad's MASSIVE popularity?

Chrome is so poor on it....loading times, refreshes, etc. I'm an Android fan and I'm struggling to understand now why I'm not just using an iPad. Seriously, can anyone list even a couple advantages we get with the N10? Anything other than widgets?

Quit harping man. If you want to use an Ipad then go buy one since no one is stopping you. The reason to use an N10 over an Ipad? You answered your own question mate....Android. The same reason you are using an Android phone and not an Iphone. Its a tablet...what do you want it to do? It does everything I want it to do just fine. I can sit my ass on the couch and browse the web, answer emails, play games, etc. all in the comfort of an OS that I know very well. It looks like my phone, runs like my phone and is cross platform with my phone. Except its bigger, nicer and faster. What are/were you expecting?

I swear just cause Kit Kat didn't bring any massive bells and whistles you all are now crying like a bunch of spoiled brats. "UGH OMG! Google didn't give us xyz features! I cant believe Google. They dropped the ball...I cant stand them anymore. Cry cry cry....how can they abandon us whine whine whine". Yes....that IS as ridiculous as some of you sound. I think you guys are expecting the tablet to turn into a car and make you coffee. Give me a break. If you get an Ipad then please, send me your N10. I would love to give my girlfriend one since she loves mine.

4ema9aqu.jpg

My first impression is besides the fact animations are a little bit smoother I'm left pondering if I flashed an update or if I flashed a white notification bar theme
    Here's my video! Hope you enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyXIRTnV0qU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"And We Think So Supersonic... And We Make Out Bombs Atomic." - Eagle Fly Free (Helloween)
    Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10