Kitkat vs jellybean

Search This thread

drivenby

Mar 8, 2012
Anyone else think the supposed improvements of KK are more snake oil than anything??

The difference between ics and JB is astounding.

But I've yet to see the same with KK. There's a new theme, which frankly sucks (subjective) .

I haven't seen the supposed improvements in ram.

Or the improved battery life with audio playback.

I'm well aware that many improvements are under the hood, and sure they might be significant, but to ME, the end user, I simply don't see them.

I think I noticed a bigger difference with 4.2.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: a.broken.star

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
I do agree to some extent but in reality we are always limited by the hardware we have - that will not change. Also, due to the fact we're stuck on a 3.1 kernel, perhaps we are not seeing all the benefits we could.

To me, the jump to Ice Cream Sandwich where we finally got 2d graphics acceleration was the last major, major jump. Everything since (as a .x update) has been a minor evolution. Let's see what Android 5.x brings!

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Anyone else think the supposed improvements of KK are more snake oil than anything??

But I've yet to see the same with KK. There's a new theme, which frankly sucks (subjective) .

I'm well aware that many improvements are under the hood, and sure they might be significant, but to ME, the end user, I simply don't see them.

its much less about JB vs KK, but more about Dalvik vs ART.

when you run cm 11 on ART it is much smoother and apps run much faster.

Khizar Amin

Apr 21, 2012
Lahore
its much less about JB vs KK, but more about Dalvik vs ART.

when you run cm 11 on ART it is much smoother and apps run much faster.

Yeah but ART is in the initial stages.. i enabled it and it worked fine for like one hour or so and then things started getting f****d up... finally had to disable it. and when the phone was back to dalvik, touch froze... ended up formatting it to get it back working.. otherwise the screen worked at every reboot until i turned the screen off

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Yeah but ART is in the initial stages.. i enabled it and it worked fine for like one hour or so and then things started getting f****d up... finally had to disable it. and when the phone was back to dalvik, touch froze... ended up formatting it to get it back working.. otherwise the screen worked at every reboot until i turned the screen off

I am running ART on CM 11, with no problems at all.

make sure you get art compatable gapps, i get mine from Here, i use the micro gapps but any will do.

DeeZZ_NuuZZ

May 16, 2012
Hanover
HTC 10
Google Pixel 3 XL
I am using the stock google package from the same thread... If my gapps were incorrect, my phone would not have booted up in the first place.

he meant for ART you have the wrong...there are packages just for dalvik and also some which are supporting both runtimes, dalvik AND ART ...i personally use them from paranoidandroid...the PA -gapps are great and it has the real stock google experience launcher :)

HTC Venom

Sep 16, 2012
amman
Here is my experience with pure Kitkat as a stock or AOSP ROMs on Nexus 7 2013 . As stock ROMs comes with a very different launcher than the one that comes with AOSP which is nearly the same as the experience launcher on Nexus5

The stock nexus 7 3013 kitkat launcher comes with no transparency at drawer . Nav bar or status bar . While the experience launcher is nearly transparent at every part of

But when it comes to my choice I would go with the old looking stock one . The new way that experience launcher looks is so damn ugly . Really . Even the new icons design is awful . . Im so gald they kept the jelly bean look at Kitkat for nexus 7 2013 . Everutime I go for AOSP ROM I go back right into any if the stock ROMS

ITS just my own opinion .

Also They managed great to get the new wallpapers to look bad

Something else about experience launcher . I don't like the idea of the Rlauncher or rom to control the way I number and arrange my homescreens . And placing Google now on the far right is an awful decision . Using the ring to pick it is much more convenient and faster

Just to say I really love they kept the old launcher for KITKAT ON MY nexus 7 1013

Sent from my HTCSensation using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I really miss a dev team that would push it forward hard. You know something like the pa team but with amazing design choices and functionality. I get so bored using the same usage pattern of the android system for so long. I want something new a new direction of making usage easier and not just voice control which is on all the time. There is nothing new since 4.0. They could at least fix multitasking...

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Khizar Amin

Apr 21, 2012
Lahore
he meant for ART you have the wrong...there are packages just for dalvik and also some which are supporting both runtimes, dalvik AND ART ...i personally use them from paranoidandroid...the PA -gapps are great and it has the real stock google experience launcher :)

You got it wrong. i meant the same. the earlier gapps for CM11 had 2 versions one with art support and one without and if you were using the gapps without art support and enabled art, the phone wont boot up.
Edit: and i am also using the PA gapps.

Last edited:

faris

Apr 6, 2006
battery life seems to be much better than any aosp rom before kk...this is an ARTeffect

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2