[HOW TO] Unlock bootloader, root, flash custom recovery, rom ..

Search This thread

zoreli

Nov 18, 2012
Шид - Србија
because ur phone is branded serbian telenor ....?? and for branded phones cid is different

No , my phone is sim free (cid 032) .

I unlock Boatloader and instal custom recovery , (Phone is not rooted) ... then I tried to flash zip file PJ4020000_OTA_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100-1.11.401.110_release_2865916 (121 mb) .... but its failed -E: failed to verify whole-file signature ...

what should I do ???

Last edited:

fatpanda0

Nov 3, 2012
No , my phone is sim free (cid 032) .

I unlock Boatloader and instal custom recovery , (Phone is not rooted) ... then I tried to flash zip file PJ4020000_OTA_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100-1.11.401.110_release_2865916 (121 mb) .... but its failed -E: failed to verify whole-file signature ...

what should I do ???

You cant flash the ota zip via custom recovery. visit http://www.androidfiles.org/ruu/?dir=VilleC2 and download the RUU htc europe 2.15 . then backup all data. relock bootloader and flash the RUU as a exe file on the pc. if you need details post back.

Cayman.n2o

Mar 21, 2009
Nis
Check out link in my signiture, I have translated guides in Serbian, maybe will be a bit easier for you.

Sent from my HTC One S

zoreli

Nov 18, 2012
Шид - Србија
You cant flash the ota zip via custom recovery. visit http://www.androidfiles.org/ruu/?dir=VilleC2 and download the RUU htc europe 2.15 . then backup all data. relock bootloader and flash the RUU as a exe file on the pc. if you need details post back.

OK Thanks , I do it all and flashed exe file
RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100_Radio_16.21.20.02U_16.09.20.11_M2_release_286571_signed

Now in my phone is 4.0.4 (soft. 2.15.401.100) .... and my question is how to update/flash phone with (zip file) OTA_VILLEC2_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.17.401.102_16.22.20.03U_16.11.20.24_M_release_305849f16hjx6h6neosbyn

What should I do ? Thanks

fatpanda0

Nov 3, 2012
OK Thanks , I do it all and flashed exe file
RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100_Radio_16.21.20.02U_16.09.20.11_M2_release_286571_signed

Now in my phone is 4.0.4 (soft. 2.15.401.100) .... and my question is how to update/flash phone with (zip file) OTA_VILLEC2_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.17.401.102_16.22.20.03U_16.11.20.24_M_release_305849f16hjx6h6neosbyn

What should I do ? Thanks

Frankly I just waited for the OTA but you could try this. You could try this, rename the zip as update.zip. put in the sdcard and reboot into recovery. Mind you this should be stock recovery and not twrp. then there should be an option to install from zip. That should do the trick.

AGAIN PLEASE DO A BACKUP BEFORE TRYING. I HAVE NOT PERFORMED THIS BUT THEORETICALLY THIS IS THE PROCEDURE.

As you are still on stock the chance of mistake is minimal but still do exercise caution.

Bipe

Jan 3, 2011
since your cid is 032 what you could do is try out this guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2164783
to update to official 4.1.1 and hboot 3.01

you should be able to manually flash updated firmware.zip with adb and OTA from TWRP recovery (i have flashed OTA with that guide just now, but did not flash firmware from it so i'm not sure will it work and upgrade your hboot version)

zoreli

Nov 18, 2012
Шид - Србија
since your cid is 032 what you could do is try out this guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2164783
to update to official 4.1.1 and hboot 3.01

you should be able to manually flash updated firmware.zip with adb and OTA from TWRP recovery (i have flashed OTA with that guide just now, but did not flash firmware from it so i'm not sure will it work and upgrade your hboot version)

I tried that last night , haved unloked boatloader + twrp recovery and I try from twrp recovery to flash zip file OTA_VILLEC2_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.17.401.102_16.22.20.03U_16.11.20.24_M_release_305849f16hjx6h6neosbyn
but it gives me a erorr ... (E: failed to verify whole-file signature ...)

So today I relock boatloader and flash phone with exe: RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100_Radio_16.21.20.02U_16.09.20.11_M2_release_286571_signed

Now when I go to recovery it gives me just a black screen and a circle with a green arrow.

So you think that I must again unlock boatloader / instal twrp recovery and tried flash/update with OTA Jb zip file ??? do I need to root phone before?

fatpanda0

Nov 3, 2012
I tried that last night , haved unloked boatloader + twrp recovery and I try from twrp recovery to flash zip file OTA_VILLEC2_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.17.401.102_16.22.20.03U_16.11.20.24_M_release_305849f16hjx6h6neosbyn

So today I relock boatloader and flash phone with exe: RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100_Radio_16.21.20.02U_16.09.20.11_M2_release_286571_signed

Now when I go to recovery it gives me just a black screen and a circle with a green arrow.

So you think that I must again unlock boatloader / instal twrp recovery and tried flash/update with OTA Jb zip file ??? do I need to root phone before?

I think you are entering the download mode. try do it again properly you should be able to enter. stock recoveries are a little tricky to enter.

or you could try this

go to the location where you have adb installed. shift rightclick empty space and use command from here.
then try"adb reboot recovery" without quotes. make sure usb debugging in on. in case you dont understand anything message back.

Bipe

Jan 3, 2011
circle with green arrow is due to having stock recovery, you need to unlock bootlader again and flash twrp

but before flashing twrp try to flash firmware.zip from OTA zip using adb (step 6 & 7)
6th step: Reboot it once again, this time to OEM update mode: adb reboot oem-78

7th step: Flash the firmware update: fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. If this complains without getting you a green progressbar on the screen, try it again – the second time it usually sticks.(even if it fails the the 4th time around just try and try it)
Once this process completes, reboot the phone again in the new bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader.
Now you can unlock your bootloader again, using the Unlock_Code.bin file you got from htcdev.com: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_Code.bin.

At this point, you’d sure as hell wish you’d made a backup, if you didn’t. Because now your phone is wiped, reset to factory default. Don’t say I didn’t warn you upfront.

that should update your hboot, after that unlock bootloader, flash twrp and from it flash OTA zip (remove signature verification from twrp options, not sure if it is under advanced settings or when flashing zip)

also, don't forget to remove
ifelse( is_ship_bootloader(getprop("ro.bootloader")) == "t" ,
assert(check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"), "00000000" , "11111111" ,
"22222222" , "33333333" , "44444444" , "55555555" , "66666666" ,
"77777777" , "88888888" , "99999999" , "HTC__032"== "t");
);

from updater-script inside ota zip (open zip with 7zip or winrar, extract it from zip, edit with notepad++, delete old from zip and copy edited one inside) else you will get an error.

fatpanda0

Nov 3, 2012
circle with green arrow is due to having stock recovery, you need to unlock bootlader again and flash twrp

but before flashing twrp try to flash firmware.zip from OTA zip using adb (step 6 & 7)

that should update your hboot, after that unlock bootloader, flash twrp and from it flash OTA zip (remove signature verification from twrp options, not sure if it is under advanced settings or when flashing zip)

also, don't forget to remove

from updater-script inside ota zip (open zip with 7zip or winrar, extract it from zip, edit with notepad++, delete old from zip and copy edited one inside) else you will get an error.

I have actually never bothered to enter the stock recovery so had no idea we cant. So when we enter bootloader and press enter recovery the above image turns up and nothing else??

xander1993

it is easy my friend you just need UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER , TWRP CUSTOM RECOVERY

if you have now the ota.zip open it with 7zip on windows 7 then find file "updater-script" in the directory META-INF/com/google/android.
when you find it copy it to desktop and edit it with notepad++ find these words or line

"77777777" , "88888888" , "99999999" , "HTC__044") == "t");
);

and delete that line and save it, after saving it exit the notepad++, hold on to your new saved "updater-script" file in a safe place.

after that go back to the open ota.zip and go back to META-INF/com/google/android. and delete the "updater-script".

after deleting it locate your recently edited "updater script" (it is the one i asked you to edit on notepad++)

after locating it,drag it to META-INF/com/google/android located inside the OTA.zip

remember! before closing the OTA.zip go back to the root where there is "META-INF,System,Firmware,FotaBoot and etc" copy or drag the FIRMWARE to the adb and fast boot folder
then....save or close the OTA.zip and put it on the phones storage.

then follow this steps now

plig in your phone,make sure adb debugging is enable...

then

6th step:this time to OEM update mode: adb reboot oem-78

7th step: Flash the firmware update: fastboot flash zip firmware.zip. If this complains without getting you a green progressbar on the screen, try it again – the second time it usually sticks.(even if it fails the the 4th time around just try and try it)
Once this process completes, reboot the phone again in the new bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader.
Now you can unlock your bootloader again, using the Unlock_Code.bin file you got from htcdev.com: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_Code.bin.

At this point, you’d sure as hell wish you’d made a backup, if you didn’t. Because now your phone is wiped, reset to factory default. Don’t say I didn’t warn you upfront.

8th step: After the reboot finishes, you can once again boot in booloader/fastboot mode, and flash your recovery anew. For Clockworkdmod Recovery, the command is fastboot flash recovery <filename.img> Now you can boot the phone in the recovery (select the option from the bootloader menu).

9th step: Once in the recovery, it’s time to restore your nandroid backup. You did make one, did you?
If you finished restoring the backup, or you can now flash the OTA zip on the phone, updating the ROM to the new version or stock version.

After this, you just need to reboot one more time, this time to the ROM itself. Let it finish upgrading all applications, and tadaa, your freshly upgraded phone.

hope this helps my friend,

feel free to thank me :)

-xander

skinnemuva

Sep 24, 2010
Recovery issue

I am having an issue after flashing TWRP that when I go in recovery and select it takes me to a image that says HTC Quietly Brilliant and then some message about how this build is for developers only, etc. It just hangs there. Did I download the wrong version of TWRP? I got 2.4.4 from techeratta site listed in the OP. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Update: I tried with TWRP 2.3.3 as well and I get stuck at the same place. As soon as I select Recovery from the bootloader it brings me to the htc splashscreen with the "This build is for developer purposes only Do not distribute outside of HTC without HTC's written permission., etc." What am I missing???

Update 2: I figured it out. I was installing the TWRP for the S3 and I needed the S4. Please ignore!

Last edited:

dannypharm

Feb 24, 2013
...it is easy my friend you just need UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER , TWRP CUSTOM RECOVERY ...
1. Can I do this with relocked bootloader and stock recovery?
2. Do i really have to unlock bootloader and flash custom recovery after flashing the firmware update?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking Bootloader

What you need:
    PC
    Phone
    Installed HTC sync (phone drivers)
    Unlocking "tool" (batch file and fastboot / adb files)

With unlocked bootloader you will be able to flash custom recovery needed for flashing ROM, rooting etc.

Guide:
    1. Download unlock.rar from attachment
    2. Extract contest of rar to your desktop
    3. Restart your phone
    4. When powering up, press and hold “Volume Down” to enter Bootloader
    5. With volume up / down select “Fastboot” and select it with power button
    6. You should see “Fastboot USB” on your phone screen
    7. Run “Unlock bootloader.bat” from your desktop
    8. Press “t” and confirm with enter to get token
    9. Go to HTC Dev registration and register
    10. Go to HTC Dev unlock bootloader
    11. Select “all other supported models” on right
    12. Skip all steps till step 9
    13. Paste your token like shown in step 9
    14. After some time you will receive E-Mail with Unlock_code.bin in attachment
    15. Save Unlock_code.bin to your desktop
    16. In “Unlock bootloader.bat ” press “u” and confirm with enter
    17. On your phone you should see unlock menu, move with Volume Up and select with Power

That’s it, your phone bootloader should now be unlocked and ready to flash custom recovery.

Flashing Recovery

After you are done with unlocking bootloader you can flash custom recovery.

Recommended recovery for HTC One S Ville C2 is TWRP, because it is most stable one that works with device.

You can use Superboot to root your phone and than install Goomanager from play store and flash TWRP from it

or you can try this:
    1. download latest TWRP recovery from HERE (one with villec2 in name is the one you need)
    2. download attached recovery flashing utility and extract content to your desktop
    3. rename recovery image to twrp.img and place it on desktop (or location where you extracted flashing utility)
    4. reboot your phone into fastboot (restart it and while starting press and hold volume down, when in bootloader press power to enter fastboot mode)
    5. run flash-recovery.bat
    6. press f and confirm with enter
    7. your recovery should now be flashed and you can enter it by selecting recovery from your bootloader screen (volume up / down to navigate, power to select)

Flashing custom ROM

After you have unlocked bootloader / installed custom recovery you can flash custom ROM
    After you have found ROM that you would like to flash and saved it on your phone this are the steps you need to take:
    reboot into recovery
    wipe data (factory reset) and cache
    go back chose "install"
    locate ROM you have downloaded to your phone
    after rom has been installed reboot into fastboot
    now you need to flash boot.img

Boot.img is usually included inside ROM .zip file, but since ONE S has S-ON it cannot be flashed from recovery but you need to flash it from fastboot.

download fastboot files from attachment and extract them to c:/fastboot

Start cmd (win+r -> cmd)
    in cmd:

cd\
    cd fastboot
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot erase cache

reboot phone

HBOOT versions and ROM compatibility
    Not all ROMs are compatible with all HBOOT versions.
    Minimum required HBOOT version for flashing SENSE based, android 4.04 or 4.1.1 (JellyBean) ROM is 2.11 (you will get it with official 4.0.4 OTA update).

You can run older versions of Sense based ROMs (4.0.3) on newer hboot versions.

This does not comply to AOSP ROMs

it is easy my friend you just need UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER , TWRP CUSTOM RECOVERY

if you have now the ota.zip open it with 7zip on windows 7 then find file "updater-script" in the directory META-INF/com/google/android.
    when you find it copy it to desktop and edit it with notepad++ find these words or line

"77777777" , "88888888" , "99999999" , "HTC__044") == "t");
    );

and delete that line and save it, after saving it exit the notepad++, hold on to your new saved "updater-script" file in a safe place.

after that go back to the open ota.zip and go back to META-INF/com/google/android. and delete the "updater-script".

after deleting it locate your recently edited "updater script" (it is the one i asked you to edit on notepad++)

after locating it,drag it to META-INF/com/google/android located inside the OTA.zip

remember! before closing the OTA.zip go back to the root where there is "META-INF,System,Firmware,FotaBoot and etc" copy or drag the FIRMWARE to the adb and fast boot folder
    then....save or close the OTA.zip and put it on the phones storage.

then follow this steps now

plig in your phone,make sure adb debugging is enable...

then

6th step:this time to OEM update mode: adb reboot oem-78

8th step: After the reboot finishes, you can once again boot in booloader/fastboot mode, and flash your recovery anew. For Clockworkdmod Recovery, the command is fastboot flash recovery <filename.img> Now you can boot the phone in the recovery (select the option from the bootloader menu).

9th step: Once in the recovery, it’s time to restore your nandroid backup. You did make one, did you?
    If you finished restoring the backup, or you can now flash the OTA zip on the phone, updating the ROM to the new version or stock version.

After this, you just need to reboot one more time, this time to the ROM itself. Let it finish upgrading all applications, and tadaa, your freshly upgraded phone.

hope this helps my friend,

feel free to thank me :)

-xander
    Thank you, great how-to.
    As i made my phone ready for New Roms i stucked at TWRP. If anyone else has problems there. Try this after unlocking bootloader
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788974
    And install goomanager from play store and install open recovery :)
    Thank you, great how-to.
    As i made my phone ready for New Roms i stucked at TWRP. If anyone else has problems there. Try this after unlocking bootloader
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1788974
    And install goomanager from play store and install open recovery :)

i'm not sure will superboot work with devices upgraded to 4.1 (or if any one even ships with 4.1) but i will add it as option in OP
    should work with all devices