How to Root Kindle on Mac or Linux! {video tutorial}

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com

For those of you with Mac OSX or Linux, you can root it using this method:

Step 1. Go to Settings->More->Device and make sure “Allow Installation of Applications” is checked “ON”.

Step 2. Connect your Kindle Fire to your computer via micro-USB cable. And hit “Disconnect” to turn off the USB disk drive mode.

Step 3. Download KindleFireRootMacLinux.zip and unzip to the root directory of your hard disk such as c:\KindleFireRoot.

Download KindleFireRootMacLinux.zip

Step 4. Open up a terminal.

Step 5. Browse to the KindleFireRootMacLinux directory by typing:

cd Downloads/KindleFireRootLinux

Step 6. Type:

mkdir ~/.android

cp adb_usb.ini ~/.android/.

*Note – You might have to add “sudo” for Ubuntu

Step 7. Type:

For Mac:
./adb-mac kill-server
./adb-mac devices

For Linux:
./adb-linux kill-server
./adb-linux devices

If you get a bunch of numbers and letters, that means you are good to go.

Step 8. Type:

For Mac:

sh runmemac.sh

For Linux:

sh runmelinux.sh

Step 9. Your Kindle Fire should do its rooting and reboot.

You can verify you have SuperUser app by going to Settings->More->Applications->All Applications.

Yay!

Last edited:

zerosignal0

Sep 9, 2010
soundslikemitch

I had this issue as well and zedomax is correct, you have to make sure that this file resides in your own $HOME/.android folder. While cp adb_usb.ini ~.android/. works you may want to try 'cp adb_usb.ini $HOME/.android` as well. I also had the issue where my fire wasn't being shown while executing ./adb devices which required me to reboot and then it seemed to start getting picked up without issue.

Hope this helps and thanks zedomax for the tutorial :)

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
There's a problem with the original instructions: adb needs to be restarted after editing adb_usb.ini. You need to run

./adb-mac kill-server

or

./adb-linux kill-server

to make it work without rebooting your computer.

siafu

Jan 15, 2007
No-go for me. Tried all above instructions and nothing shows up in devices. The thing that had me thrown off a bit is the instructions don't exactly match.

I want to follow exactly so is step 6 necessary since the zip file already has the android directory with the file already in it?

jgworks

Nov 10, 2009
Moving it to my home folder in .android worked!

But apparently this broke the video store.

I figured out how to fix the video store. Amazon seems to be looking for the existence of the file /system/bin/su so just rename it if you want to watch videos.

i.e.

Code:
mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su2
reboot

I am still able to type "su2" and get root and I am able to play videos.

zerosignal0

Sep 9, 2010
Another solution is installed voodoo OTA rootkeeper (free) from the market place. Once installed you can temporarily remove root, then restart the amazon video service and voila. Once the service is started you can re-enable root for the duration that the service is active (not rebooted) you will have root and amazon video.

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
you have "mkdir ~.android"

The more common syntax, and what worked for me as your syntax didn't, is:
mkdir ~/.android

This is under Mac OS X 10.6.8

Reactions: webmastertroi

komputerfreek

Sep 17, 2010
None of these instructions have worked for me, I have spent countless hours trying to do this via Windows (the windows tutorial) and on mac. My device never shows up and it does not root. I have tried restarting my fire, unplugging and plugging back in, etc. I am running Lion 10.7.1. Please help, if possible, pm me so we can chat via Google Chat or something.

masterc1111

Nov 13, 2008
Also had the same problem (with Lion 1.7.2 ): Waiting for device...

I used this commands to get it working: (first you have to follow instructions from zedomax step 1-5)

cd downloads/
cd KindleFireRootMacLinux/

mkdir ~/.android
cp adb_usb.ini ~/.android
./adb-mac kill-server
./adb-mac devices

after device is shows up enter:
sh runmemac.sh

After this the KF will reboot and get rooted!

Reactions: Grizzld

siafu

Jan 15, 2007
The OSX instructions did not work for me either. I ended up busting out my Windows Laptop and followed the guide and programs from rootkindlefire.com

komputerfreek

Sep 17, 2010

I used this commands to get it working: (first you have to follow instructions from zedomax step 1-5)

cd downloads/

mkdir ~/.android
./adb-mac kill-server
./adb-mac devices

sh runmemac.sh

Doesnt work, it still does not show up under devices and the command runemac.sh just says it is waiting for the device.

mewshi

Dec 27, 2009
I don't know why this may work, but try adding a trailing slash to the cp command; cp adb_usb.ini ~/.android/

Also, this works great under (Sabayon) Linux. Very great little script you have here. Only way it could be easier would be if it did the copying and all that on its own.

blue0284

Mar 13, 2009
The problem I had was that the terminal kept saying "waiting for device." I originally downloaded the "KindleFireRootMacLinux" folder to my desktop. I substituted "desktop" for "download" in the prompts. I tried to root it at least 10 times with no success. The terminal never recognized my kindle. Then I moved the "KindleFireRootMacLinux" folder to the "Downloads" folder and it worked the first time. I'm assuming that some of the code is looking in the downloads folder. Try to move it there and see if that works.

Reactions: webmastertroi

webmastertroi

Jul 24, 2008
Washington, D.C.
www.facebook.com

mkdir ~/.android

Dude! Thanks so much for pointing out the syntax issue. I tried to do this for nearly an hour... couldn't get it to see my device. But after adding the "/" as you so cleverly suggested, voila. Success!

Thanks a million!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For those of you with Mac OSX or Linux, you can root it using this method:

Step 1. Go to Settings->More->Device and make sure “Allow Installation of Applications” is checked “ON”.

Step 2. Connect your Kindle Fire to your computer via micro-USB cable. And hit “Disconnect” to turn off the USB disk drive mode.

Step 3. Download KindleFireRootMacLinux.zip and unzip to the root directory of your hard disk such as c:\KindleFireRoot.

Download KindleFireRootMacLinux.zip

Step 4. Open up a terminal.

Step 5. Browse to the KindleFireRootMacLinux directory by typing:

cd Downloads/KindleFireRootLinux

Step 6. Type:

mkdir ~/.android

cp adb_usb.ini ~/.android/.

*Note – You might have to add “sudo” for Ubuntu

Step 7. Type:

For Mac:
    ./adb-mac kill-server
    ./adb-mac devices

For Linux:
    ./adb-linux kill-server
    ./adb-linux devices

If you get a bunch of numbers and letters, that means you are good to go.

Step 8. Type:

For Mac:

sh runmemac.sh

For Linux:

sh runmelinux.sh

Step 9. Your Kindle Fire should do its rooting and reboot.

You can verify you have SuperUser app by going to Settings->More->Applications->All Applications.

Yay!

mkdir ~/.android

cd downloads/

mkdir ~/.android
    ./adb-mac kill-server
    ./adb-mac devices

sh runmemac.sh

The problem I had was that the terminal kept saying "waiting for device." I originally downloaded the "KindleFireRootMacLinux" folder to my desktop. I substituted "desktop" for "download" in the prompts. I tried to root it at least 10 times with no success. The terminal never recognized my kindle. Then I moved the "KindleFireRootMacLinux" folder to the "Downloads" folder and it worked the first time. I'm assuming that some of the code is looking in the downloads folder. Try to move it there and see if that works.
    for those who have problems this is the way i got it to work
    im running debian testing but it hould work on every linux distro

1. make directory on home folder .android
    2. open adb_usb.ini on txt editor and add 0x0006 on second line
    3. copy adb_usb.ini to .android folder on home folder
    the next commands have to be executed on terminal with root shell so depending on your system its sudo or su. this has to be done on the folder where you have your extracted files from the OP .
    4. ./adb-linux kill-server
    5. ./adb-linux devices
    device should be listed there but output should not be blank if it is it wont work.
    6. sh runmelinux.sh

this very last command should take a while and should reboot device.