[HOWTO] Change Google Earth disk cache size

Search This thread

HomerSp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
Hi everyone, I've seen a couple of requests on how to increase (or change) the max disk cache size. So I made it my mission to try and find out how to change it.
I've spent a couple of hours on it now and finally managed to figure out how to fix it :)

You'll either need adb or a simple file manager with a text editor. But before you do that kill Google Earth through Manage Applications or using a task manager. Once that's done either pull or edit /data/data/com.google.earth/drivers.ini.

When you've done that add the following to the end of the file before the ending bracket (so within SETTINGS).
Code:
DiskCache/cacheSize = 2000
DiskCache/minCacheSize = 0
DiskCache/cacheSizeOnDiskInMB = 2000
(Change 2000 to whatever size in MB you want).

Now simply push the file or save if you're using a file manager.

Good luck, and let me know if you run into any problems! :D

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
:eek:
Impressed.., and excited...,
I´m trying to edit it but can´t find the google folder on data/data, need to have the device rooted?
Keep searching..

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Have aplied Z4root to the Galaxy, installed eFile but can´t see drivers.ini anywhere.
sdcard/data/data there is only a folder called com.ideaworks3d.tackle
The only place where is com.google.earth is in: sdcard/android/data/com.google.earth/
inside this, there I found only cache folder, temp folder, and a hidden .nomedia file. :confused:

HomerSp

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 5, 2010
Stockholm
You will need to look in /data/data, not /sdcard (so yes, you need root and a file manager capable of viewing the root system).

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Works!!! I could see the file with "root explorer". Edited and now limit is gone :D
Awesome. The Galaxy is amazing with GE with the onboard compass and multi-touch gestures response. Caching a zone conected to your wifi allows you to use GE offline on traveling, or climbing mountains. The compass auto-rotates the maps and the acelerometer controls the tilt. There are videos in youtube, I think I´ll upload another one. Thanks very much. :)

lagoausente

May 29, 2008
Just a note, if set the cache above 2000, GE resets the cache file and uses only 35KB on my phone, so no work. At 2000 (2GB) it works fine, I have more than 500MB now. In the other hand seems to me that Android version uses less amount of data so 2GB seems enough to cover a big area.

Earthboundz

Jan 15, 2019
Hi everyone, I've seen a couple of requests on how to increase (or change) the max disk cache size. So I made it my mission to try and find out how to change it.
I've spent a couple of hours on it now and finally managed to figure out how to fix it :)

You'll either need adb or a simple file manager with a text editor. But before you do that kill Google Earth through Manage Applications or using a task manager. Once that's done either pull or edit /data/data/com.google.earth/drivers.ini.

When you've done that add the following to the end of the file before the ending bracket (so within SETTINGS).
Code:

I realize this is a old topic but does this still work? I would like to increase the cache size on the desktop version of GE version 7.3.1.4507 (64-bit) and newer.

I found the drivers.ini file in Program Files/Google/Google Earth Pro/client/drivers.ini but I am not sure where to enter your code in the drivers.ini file, I will assume the ini file has changed over the years.

Code:

Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code: