great job man, many thanks

3rd November 2007, 06:42 PM |#112  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsPasSion

One suggestion, could you add a "forced position" update and display it with a different color in GE ? Would be handy if you're uploading every 30 minutes. Ideally adding a brief comment maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion. Added to the to-do list.
3rd November 2007, 08:00 PM |#113  
Flag Los Angeles, Pomoma
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Is it possible to some how use GPSGate with the server? What I mean is that in GPSGate, you can have TCP transfer so basically you send the coordinates to the server that in turn makes the kml file? Just an idea.

- TKN
3rd November 2007, 10:33 PM |#114  
Flag Dallas, Texas

More
I figured I would help out with the project so I made a ASP.Net page that would basically scrape staryon's kml file and then set the mime-type which seemed to help a bit with the google maps. There's still a few errors (something to do with the style) but it at least works in google maps now.

when referencing the kml file in maps.google.com

Put the following in the "Search Map" textbox:
http://www.thedoughtcom.com/trackmeh...file=#####.kml

Where ##### is your kml filename setup in the trackme program.

You can also put in the following:
http://www.thedoughtcom.com/trackmeh...spx?site=#####

Where ##### is your full URL to the kml file.

I tested it a bit this morning and it works like a charm! I take no credit/responsability for this amazing program, just figured I would help until staryon can get google maps working!

Peace
-Shawn
4th November 2007, 12:03 AM |#115  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
can't get this to work. can you give a real example of the url?

use <username> for the trackme username part

thanks
4th November 2007, 01:59 AM |#116  
Flag Dallas, Texas

More
Sure.... here's a direct link to mine.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...4227&z=19&om=1

Hope it works for other people
4th November 2007, 03:20 AM |#117  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtCom

I figured I would help out with the project so I made a ASP.Net page that would basically scrape staryon's kml file and then set the mime-type which seemed to help a bit with the google maps. There's still a few errors (something to do with the style) but it at least works in google maps now.

when referencing the kml file in maps.google.com

Put the following in the "Search Map" textbox:
http://www.thedoughtcom.com/trackmeh...file=#####.kml

Where ##### is your kml filename setup in the trackme program.

You can also put in the following:
http://www.thedoughtcom.com/trackmeh...spx?site=#####

Where ##### is your full URL to the kml file.

I tested it a bit this morning and it works like a charm! I take no credit/responsability for this amazing program, just figured I would help until staryon can get google maps working!

Peace
-Shawn

DoughtCom, that's awesome man! thanks a lot for contributing to the program. I will try to fix the mime-type problem that you mention so we make it compatible with Google Maps.
4th November 2007, 02:37 PM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
brilliant - thanks
4th November 2007, 05:44 PM |#119  

More
Looks like Staryon and DoughtCom need to colaborate a bit and make this app all that it can be. It certainly looks promissing!

Staryon, I don't see a list of To-Do items in your first post. Perhaps you can update it to list the things you want to do to the program so people can help flush out requirements and make suggestions? On a selfish note, things I would love to see:

1) Code for those with hosts to be able to use their own servers - this does several things including reducing your bandwidth which isn't free, and can allow say a company to use it and put all of their employees on one page.

2) Direct update for Google Maps - this provides a completely web driven output so that no software needs to be installed. The Google API can definitely support this as DoughtCom has shown.

You already have an awesome capability, but it can do much more without becoming a bloatware application. Please do continue the development, and consider open sourcing it.
Dazzuk
4th November 2007, 07:04 PM |#120  

More
Superb application. Well done keep up the good work.
4th November 2007, 08:04 PM |#121  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcleek

Looks like Staryon and DoughtCom need to colaborate a bit and make this app all that it can be. It certainly looks promissing!

Staryon, I don't see a list of To-Do items in your first post. Perhaps you can update it to list the things you want to do to the program so people can help flush out requirements and make suggestions? On a selfish note, things I would love to see:

1) Code for those with hosts to be able to use their own servers - this does several things including reducing your bandwidth which isn't free, and can allow say a company to use it and put all of their employees on one page.

2) Direct update for Google Maps - this provides a completely web driven output so that no software needs to be installed. The Google API can definitely support this as DoughtCom has shown.

You already have an awesome capability, but it can do much more without becoming a bloatware application. Please do continue the development, and consider open sourcing it.

I just updated the first post with my to-do list. I also added your Google Maps API request.

TO-DO List:

- Export to GPX files
- Provide PHP pages and mysql database for using own server.
- Generate KML/GPX files locally or remotely.
- Store GPS positions locally or remotely.
- For remote use, let the user choose between ASP or PHP pages.
- Export using Google API
- Delete trips
- Export text to different languages.
- Support for Smartphones.
- Simple and Advanced mode.
- Fix problem with KML files (mime-type problem?)
- Auto start option.
- Add a "forced position" update and display it with a different color. (add comments too)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cell id, gps, tracking

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)