Sorry for the large image but I didn't want to lose any of the detail...
I had a chance to test out the application this morning and wanted to provide feedback on my experiences, expectations and possibly make some recommendations on changes. First, as I mentioned before this app is a really nice tool. With (in my non-developer eyes) a small amount of effort it can be turned into a great tool with application for individuals as well as fleet management. No, I am not a fleet manager, just throwing the idea out there.
You can check out my test track here
And here is a screen capture just in case you are reading this after I have done a new track:
Going out (NW) there was little traffic so I moved pretty quickly. Coming back (SE) there was a lot of traffic so there are more plots. A pretty good test I think. Someone else was driving so I could play with the app and look at the Google Maps plot (THANKS DOUGHTCOM!) in semi-real time. The comments and recommendations are based on my experience:
1) The application is super simple to use even without any instructions, with one exception: The previously mentioned confusing account information page. I know the reason for it and how to use it, but without the instructions provided here I would have had no idea.
2) If the application loses internet connectivity it stores in an offline file. Perfect. Except when connectivity is established again I have to stop the collecting and manually upload the data.
3) When a break occurs in connectivity and an offline file is created, when it is uploaded the data is put in the proper order on the graphic plot, so in theory no portion of the trip should be lost. Nice feature.
4) Application plays well with others. I ran WLM maps with GPS while running TrackMe and both shared GPS data with no problem. I do not have any GPS sharing software running, this behavior was on a HTC Tytn II standard ROM unaltered from the factory.
5) Also stated before, the application keeps the Pocket PC on. You can turn off the screen but you can not put the device to sleep.
6) It appears that each time the application is restarted a new "trip" is created.
1) Regarding offline data - should automatically upload when internet connection is reestablished and should not require you to STOP data collection.
2) Not really an application problem but doughcom's page put into Google Maps occasionally would not display and always gave a partial error indicating a problem with a line in the code related to the style sheet. See the highlighted section in the screen capture. Clicking the SHOW ERRORS link showed "Line 1: <Style> contains syntax errors"
3) I am not sure it is possible but would be nice if this could allow you to power off the device and still get GPS data and upload it. Activesync still works when the device is off and I am notified about new mail messages so I know applications can still run.
4) It would be nice to be able to save off a plot on Google Maps or something that would allow me to seperate my trips out. If I restart the application my previous trip gets wiped out.
5) Manual trip reset option to force deletion of previous data.
This is a really cool little application, and with some work it can become a great tool for individuals and probably fleet managers looking to keep track of their vehicles, or (a la "Office Space") keep track of employees. I am looking forward to playing with the next version!