Post Reply Email Thread
4th November 2007, 08:04 PM |#121  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 129

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcleek

Looks like Staryon and DoughtCom need to colaborate a bit and make this app all that it can be. It certainly looks promissing!

Staryon, I don't see a list of To-Do items in your first post. Perhaps you can update it to list the things you want to do to the program so people can help flush out requirements and make suggestions? On a selfish note, things I would love to see:

1) Code for those with hosts to be able to use their own servers - this does several things including reducing your bandwidth which isn't free, and can allow say a company to use it and put all of their employees on one page.

2) Direct update for Google Maps - this provides a completely web driven output so that no software needs to be installed. The Google API can definitely support this as DoughtCom has shown.

You already have an awesome capability, but it can do much more without becoming a bloatware application. Please do continue the development, and consider open sourcing it.

I just updated the first post with my to-do list. I also added your Google Maps API request.

TO-DO List:

- Export to GPX files
- Provide PHP pages and mysql database for using own server.
- Generate KML/GPX files locally or remotely.
- Store GPS positions locally or remotely.
- For remote use, let the user choose between ASP or PHP pages.
- Export using Google API
- Delete trips
- Export text to different languages.
- Support for Smartphones.
- Simple and Advanced mode.
- Fix problem with KML files (mime-type problem?)
- Auto start option.
- Add a "forced position" update and display it with a different color. (add comments too)

5th November 2007, 12:46 AM |#122  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
hey guys,

I'm done with the part that lets you to generate the kml files locally or remotely. You can also generate them remotely and then download them to your PDA. That's working fine.

at this moment I'm stuck trying to upload a KML generated local file... this is driving me nuts!

I hope to have a new version soon!
5th November 2007, 12:55 AM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by staryon

hey guys,

I'm done with the part that lets you to generate the kml files locally or remotely. You can also generate them remotely and then download them to your PDA. That's working fine.

at this moment I'm stuck trying to upload a KML generated local file... this is driving me nuts!

I hope to have a new version soon!

Sounds great. Great to have a dedicated developer working on such a great app.
5th November 2007, 01:05 PM |#124  

More
Hey..

Sorry for the question, but after i use the programm and have made an upload of both.. "offline position" and "Google Earth" - all went ok and uploadet - my problem now is...

Where i can see my route and the account that the Programm made, what account is this on what side? :)

Maybe some manuel like Dokument can help.. ?

cu
sksaustin
6th November 2007, 08:38 AM |#125  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSAustin

Hey..

Sorry for the question, but after i use the programm and have made an upload of both.. "offline position" and "Google Earth" - all went ok and uploadet - my problem now is...

Where i can see my route and the account that the Programm made, what account is this on what side? :)

Maybe some manuel like Dokument can help.. ?

cu
sksaustin

In the settings there's a tab to setup your "account". Keep in mind from your PDA you are creating the account.

Once you setup your username/password, you can then visit your page at:

http://luisespinosa.com/trackme/routes/username.kml (where username is replaced with the account name you provided in the configuration.

Strayton: Any chance of using a shorter domain/path? :)
6th November 2007, 02:02 PM |#126  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarche

Strayton: Any chance of using a shorter domain/path? :)

I just made a change on my web server and now you can just enter this:

http://luisespinosa.com/<username>

Try it and let me know if it works.

By the way, I'm already testing the new version. So far... so good!! If everything goes ok, I will upload it tomorrow.
6th November 2007, 05:00 PM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sorry for the large image but I didn't want to lose any of the detail...

I had a chance to test out the application this morning and wanted to provide feedback on my experiences, expectations and possibly make some recommendations on changes. First, as I mentioned before this app is a really nice tool. With (in my non-developer eyes) a small amount of effort it can be turned into a great tool with application for individuals as well as fleet management. No, I am not a fleet manager, just throwing the idea out there.

You can check out my test track here

And here is a screen capture just in case you are reading this after I have done a new track:

Going out (NW) there was little traffic so I moved pretty quickly. Coming back (SE) there was a lot of traffic so there are more plots. A pretty good test I think. Someone else was driving so I could play with the app and look at the Google Maps plot (THANKS DOUGHTCOM!) in semi-real time. The comments and recommendations are based on my experience:

1) The application is super simple to use even without any instructions, with one exception: The previously mentioned confusing account information page. I know the reason for it and how to use it, but without the instructions provided here I would have had no idea.
2) If the application loses internet connectivity it stores in an offline file. Perfect. Except when connectivity is established again I have to stop the collecting and manually upload the data.
3) When a break occurs in connectivity and an offline file is created, when it is uploaded the data is put in the proper order on the graphic plot, so in theory no portion of the trip should be lost. Nice feature.
4) Application plays well with others. I ran WLM maps with GPS while running TrackMe and both shared GPS data with no problem. I do not have any GPS sharing software running, this behavior was on a HTC Tytn II standard ROM unaltered from the factory.
5) Also stated before, the application keeps the Pocket PC on. You can turn off the screen but you can not put the device to sleep.
6) It appears that each time the application is restarted a new "trip" is created.

Suggestions:
1) Regarding offline data - should automatically upload when internet connection is reestablished and should not require you to STOP data collection.
2) Not really an application problem but doughcom's page put into Google Maps occasionally would not display and always gave a partial error indicating a problem with a line in the code related to the style sheet. See the highlighted section in the screen capture. Clicking the SHOW ERRORS link showed "Line 1: <Style> contains syntax errors"
3) I am not sure it is possible but would be nice if this could allow you to power off the device and still get GPS data and upload it. Activesync still works when the device is off and I am notified about new mail messages so I know applications can still run.
4) It would be nice to be able to save off a plot on Google Maps or something that would allow me to seperate my trips out. If I restart the application my previous trip gets wiped out.
5) Manual trip reset option to force deletion of previous data.

This is a really cool little application, and with some work it can become a great tool for individuals and probably fleet managers looking to keep track of their vehicles, or (a la "Office Space") keep track of employees. I am looking forward to playing with the next version!
6th November 2007, 05:22 PM |#128  

More
Quote:

I just made a change on my web server and now you can just enter this:

http://luisespinosa.com/<username>

Try it and let me know if it works.

By the way, I'm already testing the new version. So far... so good!! If everything goes ok, I will upload it tomorrow.

It works correctly with the doughtcom page for me.
6th November 2007, 06:06 PM |#129  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcleek

Suggestions:
1) Regarding offline data - should automatically upload when internet connection is reestablished and should not require you to STOP data collection.
2) Not really an application problem but doughcom's page put into Google Maps occasionally would not display and always gave a partial error indicating a problem with a line in the code related to the style sheet. See the highlighted section in the screen capture. Clicking the SHOW ERRORS link showed "Line 1: <Style> contains syntax errors"
3) I am not sure it is possible but would be nice if this could allow you to power off the device and still get GPS data and upload it. Activesync still works when the device is off and I am notified about new mail messages so I know applications can still run.
4) It would be nice to be able to save off a plot on Google Maps or something that would allow me to seperate my trips out. If I restart the application my previous trip gets wiped out.
5) Manual trip reset option to force deletion of previous data.

jcleek, thanks a lot for that great review! I love when people do that. It always encourages me to keep developing and updating the software.

Regarding your requests...

1. Yes, it makes sense. I will add an option in the Configuration to do that.
2. That's in the to-do list. I will try to have that fixed for the next version.
3. I will have to research on that. At this moment I don't know how to do it but I'm sure there has to be a way.
4. uhmm... not sure if I understand. When you restart, if you click on 'Get existing trips' you should get your trips back. That's what you mean?
5. Added to the to-do list.

Regards
6th November 2007, 07:25 PM |#130  

More
staryon,

I have my web server receiving the data now and generating a kml file. However, even though the information gets to my script, TrackMe tells me that it was not able to send the data. Is there some response that my server has to give so that TrackMe knows everything worked?

Thanks
6th November 2007, 07:42 PM |#131  

More
Quote:

4. uhmm... not sure if I understand. When you restart, if you click on 'Get existing trips' you should get your trips back. That's what you mean?

Don't thank us, you are the one doing the work and obviously we appreciate it. Thank you.

I am not sure how to explain what I mean, or how to implement it. A scenario might help you understand what I am having trouble explaining:

You go on a road trip to Sturgis (yes, I ride motorcycles AND I am a geek). It is a great trip and you want to save the entire route but dont want to leave the phone on the entire time. If you turn the phone off the application stops. If you have to reset the phone, the application stops. And that will cause the route to be wiped by the new route. But you want to keep the entire route. How? Without a computer to download the google file there is no way for me to capture that data.

Does that help understand what I mean? It would be nice to locally and remotely record a trip until a manual reset is done. Have you ever used a full GPS like a Garmin? I have a Zumo and it records a trip log until I reset it or it runs out of memory. I can turn the Zumo off and on, take it off the bike, etc and the trip log will start right back up and continue where it left off.

Hope that helps!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cell id, gps, tracking

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)