[Q] No 4G after Kitkat factory reset

Search This thread

bickitybam

Jun 11, 2014
Hi:

I did a NC5 factory reset via Odin using Surge's method (after bricking my phone, I can give more details on what I did to do that if you think it's relevant). I then rooted using Towelroot. Now I'm having two issues:

1. I can't get 4G anymore, only 3G shows in the notification bar. (Note: I'm pretty sure this was happening before I rooted too). - SOLVED!! (needed new 4G SIM)
  2. I can't install Safestrap 3.72. It says it installs but it nevers says it's active. I reboot and don't see the splash screen at all. - Still not working as of 6/30/14

For #1, I did some searching online and tried resetting the sim and battery, but that didn't do anything (not even temporary). Problem also exists in safe mode. I haven't replaced the sim or done another factory reset yet.

#2 isn't such a big deal, since I usually only use the stock rom and just use Safestrap for Nandroid backups (I'm using Online Nandroid for the time-being, though it doesn't look like I can do a restore if something goes wrong).

Appreciate the help and apologize for my n00bn355.:D

Last edited:

ljv

Jul 18, 2010
I ran into this too. However, when I rebooted, 4G turned back on. I then went back and used Surge's build again, but did the emergency wipe with PIT file and problem has not returned.

bickitybam

Jun 11, 2014
I ran into this too. However, when I rebooted, 4G turned back on. I then went back and used Surge's build again, but did the emergency wipe with PIT file and problem has not returned.

Rebooted multiple times without 4G turning back on. When I did the initial factory reset, it was with the PIT file. Maybe it's just a roll of the dice kind of thing and it might work if I do it again? I'd rather try some other stuff before doing that again though, I just got everything the way I like it.

safestrap won't say active. Does the ss splash screen come up on reboot?

sent via safestrap 3.72 and echo v25.1! !

OK, I couldn't remember if it would say active when I installed it previously. Nope, no splash screen at all.

ljv

Jul 18, 2010
Not sure if this matter, but I did PIT and firmware at the same time.

bickitybam

Jun 11, 2014
Not sure if this matter, but I did PIT and firmware at the same time.

I did the same. Loaded the pit in the PIT and the factory reset tar.md5 in AP.
Don't know if this could be an issue, but the PIT Surge supplied was labeled 16GB and I have the 32GB model. While I technically extracted the PIT from within the tar.md5 and used that, it had the same md5 hash as the 16GB PIT Surge had.

ljv

Jul 18, 2010
I did the same. Loaded the pit in the PIT and the factory reset tar.md5 in AP.
Don't know if this could be an issue, but the PIT Surge supplied was labeled 16GB and I have the 32GB model. While I technically extracted the PIT from within the tar.md5 and used that, it had the same md5 hash as the 16GB PIT Surge had.

Mine's a 32GB model too. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

bickitybam

Jun 11, 2014
4G issue resolved

So after resetting about 4 times, I finally took the phone to the Verizon store. Turned out it needed a new 4G SIM card (I have a drawer full of these at work, so I probably should've tried this myself first. Oh well). So now I have 4G!!

I also rerooted after the resets, but am still unable to install SafeStrap. Not sure what's going on there. Same symptoms as before: I install, it says successful, but the status never changes from Not Installed to Installed. Also, no splash screen on reboot. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I don't expect much help from Hashcode since I'm trying to run a beta version on an unsupported carrier.