[MOD] Navigation Bar for Epic on CM10

Search This thread

markmorto

Nov 15, 2012
El Cajon
I really like the Nexus-style NavBar, but the default height when I set the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" value in build.prop is too high at 48 px. I created a flashable zip for the Epic on CM10 that sets the height to 36px. It does not automatically add the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" value though, you have to do that yourself.

This mod was created using the framework-res.apk from the cm-10-20130120-NIGHTLY-epicmtd build.I can confirm it works with that one, but it may (or may not) work with earlier builds. Make sure you have a backup :)

Installation
  • Edit system/build.prop to add qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
  • Reboot/flash the zip

Hope you like it.

Special thanks to Ahmedabad for the guide on editing framework-res.apk and to Jamshedpur for the guide on using apktool.

Attachments

• NavBar-CM-10-Epic4G-Flashable.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_2013-01-23-12-29-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-23-12-29-12.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 646
  • Screenshot_2013-01-23-12-30-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-23-12-30-19.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 533
  • NavBar-CM-10.1-Epic4G-Flashable-new.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 65
  • NavBar-CM-10.1-Epic4G-02-15-build.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

markmorto

Nov 15, 2012
El Cajon
Another cool thing I discovered is that once you add "qemu-hw.mainkeys=0" to build.prop and reboot, the System settings > System menu now displays a "Navigation Bar" option. You can add and modify your buttons there!

I added a search button, and made the menu button display all the time, and not by application. I'm loving CM10 more every day!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-25-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-24-10-25-42.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 426

Nekogarushia

Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Just worked on fresh install for me - what happened after you flashed it?

Well after I flashed, I just reboot and it just stays on the Cyanogenmod logo and it never boots
but I'll try a clean install now and see if it works that way

Edit:
oops! I feel stupid I know why it wont work I'm on cm-10.1-20130120-NIGHTLY-epicmtd
totally dint not pay attention to the .1 haha

Last edited:

markmorto

Nov 15, 2012
El Cajon
Well after I flashed, I just reboot and it just stays on the Cyanogenmod logo and it never boots

Edit:
oops! I feel stupid I know why it wont work I'm on cm-10.1-20130120-NIGHTLY-epicmtd

That will do it! I have a zip for that one too - the only problem is that in landscape mode, the buttons think the screen is taller than it is, and the buttons seem far apart. It works great in regular portrait mode, though. Here, give it a try and let me know if you like it.

Attachments

• NavBar-CM-10.1-Epic4G-Flashable-new.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: mordant23

Nekogarushia

Dec 15, 2012
Florida
That will do it! I have a zip for that one too - the only problem is that in landscape mode, the buttons think the screen is taller than it is, and the buttons seem far apart. It works great in regular portrait mode, though. Here, give it a try and let me know if you like it.

Alright! thanks I'm going to try it right now !

Edit:
That worked great! :D thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: markmorto

theowoll

Dec 4, 2012
Malang
www.oceee.com
I dunno why my build.prop can't be edited using root explore, even I've made the permission become R/W..
:( any solution editing my build.prop?
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

markmorto

Nov 15, 2012
El Cajon
I dunno why my build.prop can't be edited using root explore, even I've made the permission become R/W..
:( any solution editing my build.prop?
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

I always use the editor that comes with the CM 10 File explorer. You just have to make sure you go into Settings and enable root access.

mordant23

Sep 13, 2010
I'll have to flash it this weekend and put a new framework-res.apk together!

There was already a mod linked in the 10.1 thread. It looks like a case of multiple people working on it. When there wasn't a link to a working framework-res the one in this thread worked. When there wasn't one in this thread, the one in the 10.1 worked.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G running CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2)

Reactions: markmorto

markmorto

Nov 15, 2012
El Cajon
There was already a mod linked in the 10.1 thread. It looks like a case of multiple people working on it. When there wasn't a link to a working framework-res the one in this thread worked. When there wasn't one in this thread, the one in the 10.1 worked.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try and flash my original first to see if it works before I start making a new one!

mordant23

Sep 13, 2010
Thanks for the tip - I'll try and flash my original first to see if it works before I start making a new one!

If it helps, I tried the version in this thread and I got the never ending CyanogenMod boot animation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I really like the Nexus-style NavBar, but the default height when I set the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" value in build.prop is too high at 48 px. I created a flashable zip for the Epic on CM10 that sets the height to 36px. It does not automatically add the "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" value though, you have to do that yourself.

This mod was created using the framework-res.apk from the cm-10-20130120-NIGHTLY-epicmtd build.I can confirm it works with that one, but it may (or may not) work with earlier builds. Make sure you have a backup :)

Installation
    • Edit system/build.prop to add qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
    • Reboot/flash the zip

Hope you like it.

Special thanks to Ahmedabad for the guide on editing framework-res.apk and to Jamshedpur for the guide on using apktool.

Edit:

Alright! thanks I'm going to try it right now !

Edit:
    That worked great! :D thanks
    I'll have to flash it this weekend and put a new framework-res.apk together!

Updated zip for the 02-15 experimental CM10.1 build

I just added a new zip for the latest (experimental) 10.1 to the OP.

Enjoy!