FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEVDB][TWRP][PhilZ Touch] XZDualRecovery 2.8.26 RELEASE

5,379 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,423

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from [NUT]: The installer contains a ROOT EXPLOIT, this will trip A/V tools (e.g. ESET NOD32), disable it to download!!
13th January 2014, 02:19 PM |#1101  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1,149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NUT]

Can you attach your XZDualRecovery.log files here?

Maybe it does not find the gpio-keys event node... It would be weird as you are running CM10.2 on a stock kernel according to your signature ...

Oh sorry my signature hasn't updated for a while. As I stated above I'm running rooted stock 4.3 ROM. Here is the log files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu0e4xz6p2...alRecovery.zip

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kamalmawa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kamalmawa Ad-Free
13th January 2014, 02:36 PM |#1102  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cyberspace and the Universe

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalmawa

Oh sorry my signature hasn't updated for a while. As I stated above I'm running rooted stock 4.3 ROM. Here is the log files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu0e4xz6p2...alRecovery.zip

This is where it gets interesting... it detects the correct node for the XZ...

Does your volume control still work using the volume buttons?

It should work just fine...

A little tutorial, to compare your effords to try and get in to a recovery:
Turn on Phone, you see the kernel logo;
You feel the phone vibrate 2 times with a green led;
NOTE: WHILE the green led is burning you have 3 seconds to press either volume-up or volume-down;
You press one of the 2 volume buttons ONCE while the LED is still green to enter a recovery.

What do you different from this guide?
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
13th January 2014, 07:05 PM |#1103  
Thanks Meter: 4,550

Donate to Me
More
Info 2
@[NUT],
I'm not sure if you or others have noticed, but support for automatic execution of recovery commands after reboot is broken.
Some apps (e.g. SuperSU) allow installation through the creation of the /cache/recovery/command file, containing the set of commands to run upon startup (in addition to entering recovery mode).

This doesn't bug me particularly, but it left me curious enough to search for the reason
Here are my findings:

Rebooting into recovery is properly detected by XZDualRecovery, since @DooMLoRD's recovery reboot wrapper touches the /cache/recovery/boot file and DR picks that up.
The problem I was facing was the fact that "command" is always missing after reboot, and therefore CWM / TWRP merely start in interactive mode instead of proceeding with the commands staged before reboot.

Turns out that the cause for this is the /system/bin/mr command which is triggered on init.target.rc ("on fs" section).
The binary checks if /cache/recovery/command file exists, if the command is one of --wipe_cache, --wipe_data or --wipe_data_keep_media, writes a value to the TA unit 0x9F6 depending on which one was used, and finally deletes the command file even if the commands had nothing to do with this process.

chargemon runs later in the boot process, and from the *.rc scripts on my device (check my signature) mr looks like the very first command on the boot sequence that does come from /system, instead of /sbin. Talk about bad luck

Again, this isn't something that bothers me, as an educated Android user
But in case anyone was wondering, this was the reason for the recovery commands to be ignored. This doesn't happen on custom kernels (on DooMKernel at least) because in its ramfs the test for recovery happens before the original *.rc's are handled, instead of needing to be hijacked as it is on XZDR in order to work on locked bootloader.

If this were to be solved, I see 3 possible approaches
1 - hijack /system/bin/mr, instead of chargemon (this might not be a very good idea if this is not common to all the Xperia devices currently supported)
2 - keep the recovery logic at chargemon, but create a wrapper for mr that creates a backup of command before running the original mr and restores it afterward, just to persist to the normal recovery that will start later on. Whether to block the original mr execution with the file in place or not is a matter of understanding under which conditions would it be desirable to have it write the TA with those values, but I'd say it should be executed normally since it's only relevant for wipe scenarios (fota perhaps?)
3 - before rebooting (perhaps also handled by the reboot wrapper?) rename the command file to a different name that mr won't pick up and at the beginning of DR's logic restore that file if it exists with the special name. This is probably the worse way to handle this, as the reboot might not be ran by the replaced reboot binary in all situations. And coordination would be needed between the reboot wrapper and the DR logic.

Personally, if I ever feel the need for this to work properly, I will likely go for option 2 so that everything else is untouched and doesn't produce any side effects.

Hope the info is useful for anyone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tungstwenty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tungstwenty Ad-Free
13th January 2014, 07:31 PM |#1104  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1,149

More
Quote:

This is where it gets interesting... it detects the correct node for the XZ...

Does your volume control still work using the volume buttons?

It should work just fine...

A little tutorial, to compare your effords to try and get in to a recovery:
Turn on Phone, you see the kernel logo;
You feel the phone vibrate 2 times with a green led;
NOTE: WHILE the green led is burning you have 3 seconds to press either volume-up or volume-down;
You press one of the 2 volume buttons ONCE while the LED is still green to enter a recovery.

What do you different from this guide?

Omg this is now even now more crazy. Now I can go to TWRP using both volume up and down keys but no phliztouch cwm. Before it wasn't working at all. Like the other guy said it turned red after purple. I did have a habit of abusing the volume key instead of pressing once though but it never caused any problems before.
Windows installer usually rebooted to phliztouch for the first time. But now it won't happen. I'm gonna do a clean install again. Which files should I delete?

14th January 2014, 12:30 AM |#1105  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalmawa

Omg this is now even now more crazy. Now I can go to TWRP using both volume up and down keys but no phliztouch cwm. Before it wasn't working at all. Like the other guy said it turned red after purple. I did have a habit of abusing the volume key instead of pressing once though but it never caused any problems before.
Windows installer usually rebooted to phliztouch for the first time. But now it won't happen. I'm gonna do a clean install again. Which files should I delete?

Don't delete anything. What you are experiencing is a feature and not a bug... I'll do a little patch up to make it boot to philz with the vol-up again. Anyone who wants to go to vanilla CWM will need to use NDR Util.

I'll also try to make the command feature work with @Tungstwenty's number 2 solution while I'm at it I always meant to fix that somehow, some day
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
14th January 2014, 02:32 AM |#1106  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
BETA Change log:
BETA releases will only appear on http://nut.xperia-files.com and the DevDB thread and as soon as enough people report it to be working fine will it move in to the Q&A thread as a RELEASE version.
Version 2.7.74:
  • Restored the use of apps which allow you to boot to recovery to perform a specific task, based on an idea from @Tungstwenty.
    NOTE: This feature is largely untested but it should work OK
  • Restored the Volume-UP key in it's former glory. If you wish to boot to Vanilla CWM, you MUST use NDRUtils.
  • Eventhough it impacts speed on exFAT formatted SD cards, I've reverted PhilZ to use the minivold to mount the SDcard1 and USB disks, to fix the compatibility with the Z1 and Z Ultra.

Enjoy!

Please DO report everything not working as intended!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
14th January 2014, 08:24 AM |#1107  
Flag Gurgaon
Thanks Meter: 279

More
Hi Nut. I would like to report that the now pressing the volume up button I am entering into Philz recovery but for some reason the backlight of the phone is kit working on Philz recovery. I mean the phone's backlight does not work and it does on TWRP

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jagdesh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jagdesh Ad-Free
14th January 2014, 10:55 AM |#1108  
Flag Meppel
Thanks Meter: 23,286

Donate to Me
More
@[NUT]
did you read my reply ??
ja we hebben dat wat je laatst vroeg man.
reageer ff
14th January 2014, 11:13 AM |#1109  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic

@[NUT]
did you read my reply ??
reageer ff

Let the guy R.I.P Geez!
Ik heb ook wat problemen:
http://imgur.com/5YJFZAu

I read this page where the guy seemed to have almost similar problems, but my device doesn't restart or anything.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2261606&page=4

I've manually installed SuperSu (From CF), but that just said that the binaries can't be found.

I tried the latest FW and .244 both completely stock and fresh installs with full wipe, but both of them gave me the same message.
Also tried an older version of the recovery (Because I know that it worked for me last year), but same problem...
14th January 2014, 02:35 PM |#1110  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic

@[NUT]
did you read my reply ??
reageer ff

Ik heb het gelezen

Can you do a feature request on DevDB? Just to make sure I don't forget... I'm kinda busy with my update-to thread for a fully rooted JB4.3 Z1 without loss of data...

Everyone can do the same from now on, report the following info for me please:
  • CM device name
  • CM device repo link (and what CM version it exists on)
  • Device resolution (not as '720p' but as '1280x800')
  • If /system/bin/chargemon exists
  • If /system/bin/sa77_recovery exists

Incomplete requests will get put on the last position of the to-do list, so make sure you post all the required info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppa

Let the guy R.I.P Geez!
Ik heb ook wat problemen:
http://imgur.com/5YJFZAu

I read this page where the guy seemed to have almost similar problems, but my device doesn't restart or anything.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2261606&page=4

I've manually installed SuperSu (From CF), but that just said that the binaries can't be found.

I tried the latest FW and .244 both completely stock and fresh installs with full wipe, but both of them gave me the same message.
Also tried an older version of the recovery (Because I know that it worked for me last year), but same problem...

You are missing a symlink to the su binary... I'll change the installer to use the (SuperSU default) /system/xbin/su binary for the next release.

For now, open android terminal and type:
Code:
su
ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/sh
After which the installer should start to work just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
14th January 2014, 03:23 PM |#1111  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
Quote:

You are missing a symlink to the su binary... I'll change the installer to use the (SuperSU default) /system/xbin/su binary for the next release.

For now, open android terminal and type:

Code:
su
ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/sh
After which the installer should start to work just fine.

Doesn't seem to work either
http://imgur.com/ZRb6ArJ

Tenzij ik iets verkeerd doe
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, doomkernel, locked bootloader, recovery, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread