OEM USB Cable

Search This thread

v3rn

Dec 20, 2009
Boston
Has anyone found a spot to buy them? The ones on the Samsung site look different. And I want to make sure the end fits inside my case because the hole is designed for the cable that comes with the phone. I don't want to get into cutting the case or cable ends.

fly3rs28

May 23, 2013
Has anyone found a spot to buy them? The ones on the Samsung site look different. And I want to make sure the end fits inside my case because the hole is designed for the cable that comes with the phone. I don't want to get into cutting the case or cable ends.

Don't waste your money buying them from samsung. All usb cables are the same, just find a cheap one on amazon or monoprice. You could just look at pictures and find one that looks small enough to fit your case.

Edit- well I guess this is wrong. I've bought a few couple cheap usb cables and never had a problem but other people have.

Last edited:

ramk13

May 6, 2008
Don't waste your money buying them from samsung. All usb cables are the same, just find a cheap one on amazon or monoprice. You could just look at pictures and find one that looks small enough to fit your case.
I used to think the same thing, but this is absolutely not true. You can download the app Galaxy Charging Current and compare your charging rates with different cables. If you don't believe the app, you can start from a specific charge level and time the charge with the screen off and no apps running. There can be a significant difference. There are several posts throughout the GS4 forums if you search for the app name.

This isn't only true for the GS4 either. I tried using a USB 2.0 extension cable I bought in 03 or 04 to extend my Palm Pre touchstone, but the phone wouldn't consistently charge with the extension in place.

dannyben

May 9, 2011

NOT all cables are the same!
The included one with the phone allows charging up to 1900mA. The one from the S3 (for example) will only charge up to 960. I have some that won't go over 460.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

Reactions: sinebubble

CHUUZE

Aug 11, 2011
CHUUZ3D Galaxy
Its true about the varying speeds of usb cables. Here are some pics of the app with different usb plugs:

Pic 1: unplugged
Pic 2: white Samsung cable (stock)
Pic 3: htc evo 3d cable (stock)
Pic 4: htc evo 3d cable (aftermarket from car adapter)

I will grab the palm pre cables speed on Tuesday when I go to work.

Sent from the CHUUZ3D Galaxy via XDA Premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369420289624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369420289624.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 527
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369420417473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369420417473.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 525
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369420427839.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369420427839.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 518
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369420441777.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369420441777.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: shaq1907

xXchrizhurtyXx

Apr 12, 2012
Bronx, NY

Wouldnt you be able to get a replacement cable from saumsung?

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
What is strange to me the phone with that app reports it's getting 1900mA when I use an old HTC charger capable of 1A (1000mA) @ 5V when using the OEM USB cable. Either that HTC charger's specs were grossly understated or the phone itself tries to sense electrical properties of the USB cable? Not sure if that last bit is even possible.

Anyone with knowledge on how the phone determines how much current to draw on a lower level? Kinda curious.

Also, there are sellers on eBay for the original S4 charging cable for something like $7, or same charging cable and 2A wall adapter for $10.
See for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230980370756
The part number they list (ETA-U90JWE) is the same as my OEM charger, that can do 2A @ 5 V.

Last edited:

CHUUZE

Aug 11, 2011
CHUUZ3D Galaxy
Its true about the varying speeds of usb cables. Here are some pics of the app with different usb plugs:

With palm pre usb cable and power adapter

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369855473704.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369855473704.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 397
Feb 7, 2013
Brooklyn Center

:BUMP:

Also looking for a 1900mA charger/usb chord combo. Found 2 "OEM" fakes on Amazon (reviews reported fake), and can't just buy, and hope for the best on eBay. Looking to see if someone has bought, tried, and tested a charger/chord combo that does 1900mA from a reliable source. I'm not paying $40+ for a charger/usb chord from samsung. There's got to be an alternative.

fromanbr

Oct 27, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to think the same thing, but this is absolutely not true. You can download the app Galaxy Charging Current and compare your charging rates with different cables. If you don't believe the app, you can start from a specific charge level and time the charge with the screen off and no apps running. There can be a significant difference. There are several posts throughout the GS4 forums if you search for the app name.

This isn't only true for the GS4 either. I tried using a USB 2.0 extension cable I bought in 03 or 04 to extend my Palm Pre touchstone, but the phone wouldn't consistently charge with the extension in place.

NOT all cables are the same!
    The included one with the phone allows charging up to 1900mA. The one from the S3 (for example) will only charge up to 960. I have some that won't go over 460.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium