Wake up gesture not working anymore

Search This thread

Nathan1082

May 21, 2014
Hi All, I have the samsung galaxy gear 2 for a week now and everything was working perfectly until this morning. The wake up gesture doesnt work at all anymore even though the power button still wakes up the device.

I have tried a factory reset to no avail.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Mr Cheese Man

KentAls

May 22, 2014
Wake-up Gesture not working

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. Funny thing is that when I have it connected to power with the charging unit then the wake-up gesture works again. Seems like a bug to me. I have tried all manner of restarting, powering down, and toggling the feature but nothing helps. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Better yet anyone know how to fix it?

Nathan1082

May 21, 2014
I had the same thing happen to me this morning. Funny thing is that when I have it connected to power with the charging unit then the wake-up gesture works again. Seems like a bug to me. I have tried all manner of restarting, powering down, and toggling the feature but nothing helps. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Hi, after much fiddling and wrist swinging, it fixed itself!

I reset the gear to factory settings, disconnected the gear from phone,disabled the wake up gesture, re-enabled wake up gesture on gear manager AND on watch and then re-connected everything.

Wow the gear is crap without the wake up gesture.

But its awesome when it works.

Reactions: KentAls

KentAls

May 22, 2014
Fiddling not paying off so far

I reset the gear to factory settings, disconnected the gear from phone,disabled the wake up gesture, re-enabled wake up gesture on gear manager AND on watch and then re-connected everything.

Ok, I tried to follow this recipe but once I disconnect the gear 2 from the phone I am not able to get to setting in Gear Manager to re-enable on gear manager AND watch as you recommend. Can you explain what you did once you have the gear disconnected from the phone so I can follow your steps exactly? Wrist swinging alone is not doing the trick. Thanks in advance.

KentAls

May 22, 2014
Sleep blocks wake up feature

Ok, I tried to follow this recipe but once I disconnect the gear 2 from the phone I am not able to get to setting in Gear Manager to re-enable on gear manager AND watch as you recommend. Can you explain what you did once you have the gear disconnected from the phone so I can follow your steps exactly? Wrist swinging alone is not doing the trick. Thanks in advance.

I figured out what was wrong in my case. I had installed the sleep app within in the S Health app. I left it on in sleep mode mistakenly which shuts off the wake up gesture. Then I uninstalled it while it was running and it did not seem to disable entirely. Finally I had given up on ever having a wakeup gesture and reinstalled the sleep app and fiddled with it and the wake up gesture was restored. Hope this helps someone in who has this frustrating problem.

Reactions: JimSmith94

onedirection

Dec 16, 2013
My Gear 2's wake up gesture doesnt work too. What makes it doesnt work makes my head gearing up a bit. I just left it in the bathroom, NO CONTACT with water or liquid, then it all happened. I thought it was nothing so I restarted the watch. Nothing happened. Re installed the firmware and.. NOTHING. Stupid! I need help.

-NOTE: It does work when connected to PC or charging!! x_x -

marossva

Nov 21, 2014
Now It Works

I had the same problem. Everything worked great for the past month, including the wake up gesture, until two days ago when it stopped working. I looked on line and figured I'd try - Settings - Gear Manager- etc - except that when I opened up settings there was no "Gear Manager". I finally gave up and did the following: Turned off the bluetooth connection on my Samsung phone (which disconnected the connection between the Gear and the Samsung S4). Then I went to - Settings - Reset Gear - and ran thru the process of resetting the Gear to factory settings. Then I reconnected the bluetooth connection and re-installed the connection between the Gear and the Samsung S4 - BUT - I did not Restore. Uncheck the RESTORE box and continue. The phone lets you pick from all of the apps that were previously on the phone and gets everything running like it used to - EXCEPT that any data or files you had on you Gear are gone. BUT the wake up gesture is back and working fine and I can recreate anything I might have lost.

Try it. It worked for me. Good luck.

MikeDaGeek

Nov 8, 2007
DND
My issue also ... For those of you who need to remember where/how you turned this on (as I did) use the drag down (window shade) gesture to access the menu from your watch face. If the Circle with the hyphen icon is enabled that is your nemesis!!

mat46

Jan 11, 2008
I had the same problem. Everything worked great for the past month, including the wake up gesture, until two days ago when it stopped working. I looked on line and figured I'd try - Settings - Gear Manager- etc - except that when I opened up settings there was no "Gear Manager". I finally gave up and did the following: Turned off the bluetooth connection on my Samsung phone (which disconnected the connection between the Gear and the Samsung S4). Then I went to - Settings - Reset Gear - and ran thru the process of resetting the Gear to factory settings. Then I reconnected the bluetooth connection and re-installed the connection between the Gear and the Samsung S4 - BUT - I did not Restore. Uncheck the RESTORE box and continue. The phone lets you pick from all of the apps that were previously on the phone and gets everything running like it used to - EXCEPT that any data or files you had on you Gear are gone. BUT the wake up gesture is back and working fine and I can recreate anything I might have lost.

Try it. It worked for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the explanation, it allowed me to find the good operation of my gear fit 2 :good:

besweeet

Dec 24, 2009
San Antonio, TX
IMO, this is a design flaw on Samsung's end. Even with DND enabled, you should at least be able to use the wake up gesture to see your watch face without displaying notifications first.

cowdude

Jan 16, 2013
No wake up

Hi All, I have the samsung galaxy gear 2 for a week now and everything was working perfectly until this morning. The wake up gesture doesnt work at all anymore even though the power button still wakes up the device.

I was testing fo not disturb mode and mine stopped working. I turned off do not disturb and it works fine now. I hope this may help

JAL95138

Dec 24, 2018
Samsung Gear S2 Smartwatch Wakeup Gesture Doesn't WorkSa

I had the same problem with my Gear S2. Tried everything, including disabling "Do not disturb", but wakeup gesture still didn't work. Reported problem to seller who sent another S2, but it also did not work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do Not Disturb

I had this problem after my son had been playing with the watch. I tried un-pairing, rebooting etc. to no avail. Then I found that the 'Do Not Disturb' feature had been turned on. Turn this off and it works fine.
    DND
    My issue also ... For those of you who need to remember where/how you turned this on (as I did) use the drag down (window shade) gesture to access the menu from your watch face. If the Circle with the hyphen icon is enabled that is your nemesis!!

Sleep blocks wake up feature

I figured out what was wrong in my case. I had installed the sleep app within in the S Health app. I left it on in sleep mode mistakenly which shuts off the wake up gesture. Then I uninstalled it while it was running and it did not seem to disable entirely. Finally I had given up on ever having a wakeup gesture and reinstalled the sleep app and fiddled with it and the wake up gesture was restored. Hope this helps someone in who has this frustrating problem.