[Q] Noobie question about basebands.

Search This thread

Matiarena

Aug 11, 2014
Cd. Juárez
Hello guys, as you can see I'm a new one on this forum, just joined a minutes ago,
but frequently looking on here for Q&A about previous phones I had.
Ok, so basically I got a Xperia Z (C6603) unfortunately my carrier is Nii digital s. de r.l. de c.v, known as
''NEXTEL'' my data plan consist on HSPA+ & 3G, I'm not so experienced on this, but as far as I know,
this carrier runs on HSDPA 1700 / 1900 frecuencies, very compatible with another devices bounded to T-Mobile.
My last phone was an Moto X (XT1053 Custom Roms based on T-Mobile stock), didn't had any single problem with it,
I just wanted the elegant Xperia Z.
The Moto X it's fully capable to get HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 for 3G.
But my C6603 it's only capable of HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100, since NEXTEL would run only on the 2 left missing from this one,
I've made a bit of research and then I said, so if 6603 is LTE capable the another variant 6602 should be able to get
a complete set of 3G frequencies HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100, those are the ones that I need,
I'm not really interested on 4G or LTE networks for this mobile.
It's just that at the moment the device is practically useless for me, so by reading and looking on this forum I was able to
discover that this device is essentially the same one as the 6602, just with the hardware mods to get LTE.
I've downloaded many FTF's, flashing only the basebands of another roms, including ones from the ZL 6506, 6502, etc...
This didn't brick the phone, stills... No signal on the phone, the baseband didn't even changed on system info, I modified the build.prop too with something like...

#!/sbin/sh
echo "telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.telephony.default_network=9" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9" >> /system/build.prop

And then flashing the different basebands...

(if there's a better detailed tutorial on this, should one of you guys be able to teach me the right way?)

So I was wondering if I should flash a complete FTF of the 6602 to get the phone working on a fully 3G network?
I'm not really interested on high speeds or LTE, just need the phone to be working on these frequencies to be able to make use of my carrier's plan that i'm paying atm.
One curious thing, if I use the same SIM on a xperia ZL, it gets wide signal almost around all the city.
I'm quite frustrated right now, hope any of you guys can help me with this.

Thanks! :eek:

(Sorry for my bad english though)

Device info:

Stock 4.4.2 (10.5.A.0.230)

Unlocked bootloader

Sim-Unlocked

Good battery health, not a single issue, it works fine with Telcel, Movistar & even Unefon Sim Cards.

-----------------------------

Uploaded an screenshot, I've just flashed a complete 4.1.2 stock rom of the 6602... No luck so far,
can any expert on the field, help me please? :(

Last edited:

androidtweaker1

May 15, 2014
Hello guys, as you can see I'm a new one on this forum, just joined a minutes ago,
but frequently looking on here for Q&A about previous phones I had.
Ok, so basically I got a Xperia Z (C6603) unfortunately my carrier is Nii digital s. de r.l. de c.v, known as
''NEXTEL'' my data plan consist on HSPA+ & 3G, I'm not so experienced on this, but as far as I know,
this carrier runs on HSDPA 1700 / 1900 frecuencies, very compatible with another devices bounded to T-Mobile.
My last phone was an Moto X (XT1053 Custom Roms based on T-Mobile stock), didn't had any single problem with it,
I just wanted the elegant Xperia Z.
The Moto X it's fully capable to get HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 for 3G.
But my C6603 it's only capable of HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100, since NEXTEL would run only on the 2 left missing from this one,
I've made a bit of research and then I said, so if 6603 is LTE capable the another variant 6602 should be able to get
a complete set of 3G frequencies HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100, those are the ones that I need,
I'm not really interested on 4G or LTE networks for this mobile.
It's just that at the moment the device is practically useless for me, so by reading and looking on this forum I was able to
discover that this device is essentially the same one as the 6602, just with the hardware mods to get LTE.
I've downloaded many FTF's, flashing only the basebands of another roms, including ones from the ZL 6506, 6502, etc...
This didn't brick the phone, stills... No signal on the phone, the baseband didn't even changed on system info, I modified the build.prop too with something like...

#!/sbin/sh
echo "telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.telephony.default_network=9" >> /system/build.prop
echo "ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9" >> /system/build.prop

And then flashing the different basebands...

(if there's a better detailed tutorial on this, should one of you guys be able to teach me the right way?)

So I was wondering if I should flash a complete FTF of the 6602 to get the phone working on a fully 3G network?
I'm not really interested on high speeds or LTE, just need the phone to be working on these frequencies to be able to make use of my carrier's plan that i'm paying atm.
One curious thing, if I use the same SIM on a xperia ZL, it gets wide signal almost around all the city.
I'm quite frustrated right now, hope any of you guys can help me with this.

Thanks! :eek:

(Sorry for my bad english though)

Device info:

Stock 4.4.2 (10.5.A.0.230)

Unlocked bootloader

Sim-Unlocked

Good battery health, not a single issue, it works fine with Telcel, Movistar & even Unefon Sim Cards.

-----------------------------

Uploaded an screenshot, I've just flashed a complete 4.1.2 stock rom of the 6602... No luck so far,
can any expert on the field, help me please? :(

The Cellular frequency which a phone can operate depends on the MODEM which is a hardware component
You will not be able to tackle this issue by flashing 6602 firmware

Matiarena

Aug 11, 2014
Cd. Juárez
''Qualcomm MDM9215M''

Both variants share the same exactly hardware, just programmed many hardware limitations I guess for the 6602 to only work on HSPA,
6603 didn't had those limitations so it can operate in LTE bands, as far as I know.

Abubakar_Mohammed

Aug 12, 2014
Vienna
''Qualcomm MDM9215M''

Both variants share the same exactly hardware, just programmed many hardware limitations I guess for the 6602 to only work on HSPA,
6603 didn't had those limitations so it can operate in LTE bands, as far as I know.

You need the 1700/1900 bands ,no?
But your phone doesnt have the chip to receive those bands hence no network coverage...
Simply, if you want it to work you can get the motherboard of a faulty C6602 and put it in your phone, which is real expensive and not worth it.