[Q] ES File Explorer set-up

Search This thread

goughymachine

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
I'm currently having the same problem as cloud. I don't have any passwords or anything set. I'll go back in and set up all the shares again, which were still already set and then straight away can access everything again. And it will stay that way for maybe a week if I'm lucky, through pc reboots and phone/tablet reboots etc. But then suddenly I'll get the same as cloud1111, and the only way I can get around it is to go in and set the shares again. Then it's fine for up to another week. Very annoying. Any clues for why they seem to reset?

None of our pc's or our smart tv have any problem accessing the shared folders at any time.

azriaziz

Feb 23, 2012
When I try to watch videos using es file explorer on mg galaxy s2, sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't. If I restart my desktop pc, it will work for about half an hour then fail to login again.

This is what I'm always getting, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B90aBBkpJZ8tS3NINU9fbDBDUzA/edit would appreciate it someone can help.

• I'm using windows 7 pro 64bit
  • Everyone else in my family can stream the shared files with their windows laptop.
  • After restarting my computer(the pc with the shared files), my brother and I can stream for about 30 minutes, then I have to restart my pc again.

I have a password on my pc, but even when I put it in the edit server options it still doesn't work. I'm thinking it may be a firewall or router setting?

I have the same issue. started happening a while back.. sometime mid last year after a particular update (cant remember which). I can access my network shares fine on other windows pcs. restarts would fix em (PC restart first then an application restart by clearing ram/exiting and launching ES explorer again)

but it wouldnt last long. after a couple hours, or maybe even days... I'll get the "login fails" error.

Whats even more funny is that another computer's share seems to be working flawlessly. I have a feeling it could be an issue on my windows machine but its definitely not share settings as i've tried everything again and again. Perhaps its time for a clean format.

Last edited:

stellaignis

Aug 8, 2013
Okay got it working, thanks for the help guys. The problem was that all my media is on an external hard drive. In case anyone else has this problem and stumbles upon this thread, here's what I did:

1. Right clicked the external hdd and went to sharing tab. At the bottom it said that I had password protection on, so I followed the instructions there to disable it.

2. The 'Share' button in the sharing tab was greyed out so I had to go into advanced sharing and check 'Share this folder'.

3. I then went into the security tab of the properties pane and gave my user account all permissions. My user account is the only account and therefore has admin rights, so I don't know why I had to do this.

4. I then created a new username called 'everyone', and gave it all permissions.

5. Clicked okay and close, and I could then access it via ES on my prime.

The reason I didn't mention the hdd in the OP is because at that point I couldn't access the laptop at all. Once I did the above everything worked. I think having password protection on was preventing me from getting into my laptop at all, as I don't have any passwords in windows.

Thanks for the help! I now have access to all my media on my prime. Good times.

EDIT. Turns out the username 'everyone' doesn't need all permissions. I didn't like the idea of 'everyone' having full control over my hdd so I changed the permissions to just allow reading and writing, no modifying etc. Still works.

I did all of these things and many more attempts to fix my problem but I'm stuck at this screen. I have no idea if one of these is my computer. Both ask for username password though I don't have a user password. Any of you know what my problem is?

Im having the same issue ever since i moved to win7 every so often for seemingly no reason android just flat out refuse's to talk smb to the windows pc. I have also seen smb shares fail at the same time on my router running tomato. my CIFS Client will be chugging along happy then out of nowhere pow cifs1 dismounts. so im guessing it's some odd quarky behavior of winblows smb that not all cifs/smb clients handle gracefully. if I had to take a guess at the cause of the issue id place my finger squarely on the smb version. Microsoft introduced SMB2 with Windows Vista in 2006, and later improved on it in Windows 7, with subsequent major revisions of 2.1 and 3.0 as of 2012. SMB2 reduces the 'chattiness' of the SMB 1.0 protocol by reducing the number of commands and subcommands from over a hundred to just nineteen. the issues might have something to do with SMB 2.1's opportunistic locking mechanism.

after further reading it might have something to due with NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
"ESFE is looking for NetBios over tcp/ip because android probably doesn't natively run NetBios protocol."
http://superuser.com/questions/605452/connect-from-android-es-file-explorer-to-windows-7-share

Last edited:

abrahamxavi

Feb 19, 2014
from androidforums

I've installed ES File Explorer on my Prime under the impression it will let me browse my shared files and folders on my laptop. So I go to the 'LAN Shares' page in ES and run a scan. My laptop shows up, but when I click on it I get the error 'Login failure. Try new user name/password?' Thing is, I don't have a password on my laptop... so how do I get around this?

Also, on Windows 7 how do I make sure I'm properly set-up for file sharing?

This is a reply I found on another forums​

I had the same problem, this is what worked for me: Right click the folder you want to access and select "Share with/Specific People" then a window "File Sharing" pops out. In there Write: "Everyone" or click in the 'down arrow' next to "Add" and select "Everyone" if is there. Press "Add" Select the Permission Level in the box below and click "Share". After doing that I can see and use the files in the folders I selected. You don't have to use any usernames or passwords just Scan for servers in LAN on the ES File App. If you have any problems reply back, my settings in the "Network and Sharing Center" in windows are "On" on everything except "Password Protected Sharing", hope it helps, good luck.:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay got it working, thanks for the help guys. The problem was that all my media is on an external hard drive. In case anyone else has this problem and stumbles upon this thread, here's what I did:

1. Right clicked the external hdd and went to sharing tab. At the bottom it said that I had password protection on, so I followed the instructions there to disable it.

2. The 'Share' button in the sharing tab was greyed out so I had to go into advanced sharing and check 'Share this folder'.

3. I then went into the security tab of the properties pane and gave my user account all permissions. My user account is the only account and therefore has admin rights, so I don't know why I had to do this.

4. I then created a new username called 'everyone', and gave it all permissions.

5. Clicked okay and close, and I could then access it via ES on my prime.

The reason I didn't mention the hdd in the OP is because at that point I couldn't access the laptop at all. Once I did the above everything worked. I think having password protection on was preventing me from getting into my laptop at all, as I don't have any passwords in windows.

Thanks for the help! I now have access to all my media on my prime. Good times.

EDIT. Turns out the username 'everyone' doesn't need all permissions. I didn't like the idea of 'everyone' having full control over my hdd so I changed the permissions to just allow reading and writing, no modifying etc. Still works.
    streaming 720p on prime tablet over wifi G

Glad you figured it out. I just saw this and was just about to walk you through it

What kind of data transfer rates are normal for transfer between two wireless devices? Wireless G that is. Both devices are very close to the router. I should be able to stream 720p video comfortably right? But it doesn't seem to keep up.

Is there a way of testing this speed?

There is currently no tablet app that I know of that test speed (wifi analyzers scan wifi signal strength) but speedtest app can test you internet connection. For local speed, you can transfer a big file and look at the transfer rate. Ideally, the between 1-2 meters away for the router is the best.

"When testing throughput do it ~1 meter from the AP and test between a wireless client and a wired client. Doing it far away/behind walls/downstairs/etc will have reduced rates and is a different problem to solve. Being extremely close can lower performance by overloading the receiver" -dd-wrt.com

Wireless G is 54 Mbits/s but real world test is ~22 Mbits/s down and ~2.5 Mbit/s....720p streams at 2.5 Mbit/s (for VC-1 and lower formats) up to 5Mbit/s (for H.264 and better quality formats) so it depends on a lot of things. Short answer yes. BUT if you source is on wifi too rather than LAN then there is a high chance that it won't be smooth. Also depending on whether you are the only one connected, the router brand, how good your source is, etc. 720p on 802.11g is hit and miss (mostly miss) so consider a wireless N 300M/bits router

All this can be found on google (feel free to correct me) and please click THANKS if this helped you. :D