[Q] Remote GPS Activation / SMS GPS Enabler

Search This thread
Nov 11, 2010
Ideas

I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones. That actually sounds pretty difficult to implement via tasker. You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one. You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for.

This statement is true "I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones." which is something I want to try and do on my Android, because I was able to do it on my old iPhone. On the iPhone I thought it was simple, but with Android I don't know the systems well enough. :(

When you told me about Tasker I went yeah! :D But now, not so much. :mad: What's with this; "You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one." couldn't you just set up a variable with specific number set to play certain files and not disable anything? As for this; "You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for." I thought of that as well and said to myself, "set one up and have it working then clone it" and "then change the numbers and sound files". Which is not as hard as trying to create a new profile every time.

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
This statement is true "I actually never realized the phone didn't support custom tones for contacts outside of the calling ringtones." which is something I want to try and do on my Android, because I was able to do it on my old iPhone. On the iPhone I thought it was simple, but with Android I don't know the systems well enough. :(

When you told me about Tasker I went yeah! :D But now, not so much. :mad: What's with this; "You would first have to disable notifications from your sms app so the tasker profile wouldn't just play a sound over that one." couldn't you just set up a variable with specific number set to play certain files and not disable anything? As for this; "You'd also likely have to create a separate profile for each contact that you want to have a custom sms tone for." I thought of that as well and said to myself, "set one up and have it working then clone it" and "then change the numbers and sound files". Which is not as hard as trying to create a new profile every time.

You could set up a tasker profile to play the sound, but the problem is that it wont stop the sms app from playing it's notification, so you'd end up getting a double notification unless you disabled the one from the sms app you use.

You could probably just set the priority higher though (also clicking "stop task") and create a custom notification in tasker for when you receive an sms. The higher priority and enabling the "stop task" function should stop the default notification from playing (or at least I think so).

Cloning the profiles would definitely be the easiest way to go about doing this though. Just gotta change the contexts on each one to activate on different phone numbers. I'll try to make some profiles and post them up so you can see what I'm talking about if you want.

Herp Derp Captivate XDA

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
Haha you know what? Handcent sms already supports this. Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen. You can manage the notifications for that person there.

MUCH easier imo.

Herp Derp Captivate XDA

Nov 11, 2010
?What?

Haha you know what? Handcent sms already supports this. Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen. You can manage the notifications for that person there.

MUCH easier imo.

I've never seen that anywhere and I've been looking too. I could not fine this "Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen." If I don't have it for some reason, could it be because I'm running Cognition v3.04? If so, I'm just going to do the Profiles. If you could do one so I could see way your talking about that would be nice, doing the Tasker update now. As for what you said up above, I could just set the notification sound to none/silent and won't have two trying to play at the same time. I agree with what your saying if you keep the sound on though.

Time to sleep, chat more in some hours, reading half of the Tasker site is making me sleepy. Be back later. :)

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
I've never seen that anywhere and I've been looking too. I could not fine this "Open up a conversation thread from inside the app and theres a little settings button for that contact up on the top right of the screen." If I don't have it for some reason, could it be because I'm running Cognition v3.04? If so, I'm just going to do the Profiles. If you could do one so I could see way your talking about that would be nice, doing the Tasker update now. As for what you said up above, I could just set the notification sound to none/silent and won't have two trying to play at the same time. I agree with what your saying if you keep the sound on though.

Time to sleep, chat more in some hours, reading half of the Tasker site is making me sleepy. Be back later. :)

This is the part i was talking about:

47ca3265-406b-1247.jpg

Herp Derp Captivate XDA

Nov 11, 2010
no where to be found

I don't have that icon anywhere on my phone. I checked messages, contacts, email, settings, etc. and its no where to be found. :( What ROM are you, yourself running? It might just be I need to change ROMs, which would not be a big problem. I'll just have to keep working on the one I have in Tasker for now. Thanks for the visual aid, it was helpful to see if I had it or not.

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
It shouldn't have anything to do with your rom as it's just a feature of the app. What sms app are you using? The one in the picture, that I'm talking about, is Handcent SMS.I've used it on multiple ROMs and that button has always been there, even when I used cog 3.02 and the earlier version.

Edit: my rom, kernel, and modem information are all in my sig.
Herp Derp Captivate XDA

Nov 11, 2010
Cool!

What sms app are you using? The one in the picture, that I'm talking about, is Handcent SMS.

Sorry did look at your signature before. As for the SMS, I have ether used the default one in the ROM's or the GV one. :eek: Never thought of downloading one to see if I could get my old feature back. :rolleyes: As always thanks for the help pizz0wn3d. :D

nellyspageli

Aug 2, 2007
San Francisco
Sorry to dig this thread up. I'm the developer for SMS GPS Enabler and I would like to clear up some things.

First off, "turning gps on" does not drain any battery at all. It is only when an application requests your location that battery is drained. If you find that your battery is being drained very quickly when you turn gps on, you must have an app that is constantly requesting your location. You should uninstall this app.

However many people like to disable gps for other reasons so that is why I created this app. I just released a new version where you can change the commands to turn on wifi or gps. You can find my app here
I also have a paid version that lets you change your ringer settings, led, bluetooth and other things. You can find it here

If you have any questions or feature requests, feel free to click the email the developer link or PM me.

b_rad_1983

Nov 19, 2010
Great Topic..but..

What if its stolen and the phone is off? Is there commands to turn it on. The reason why Im thinking this could be done, is because I have a spare phone i use (nokia c3) , when the phone is off the alarm will still ring. It scared me the other morning lol.
Now I do not know much about this stuff but I wonder if it could be done, maybe it cant, but since this cheap 50$ phone can do something similar it gave me hope!
If it cant, what about a sms to put the phone into a deep sleep so whomever stole the phone actuallly thinks its off. Thats if they dont pull the battery. because even with a screen lock you can still turn it off..I dont like that.

broken_toys

Mar 4, 2013
Hey, I dunno if you still use this thing but i lost my andriod a couple days ago and i've been trying to track it through google lattitude but... im having no such luck of finding the bastard. I'm usuing my google account to track him. I think hes taken out my sim card and even still he cant use it cause i turned it off. so :) do you think theres anyway i could hack his new sim or something or trace it and then use that thing your talking about to raid it X_X would be super helpful! thanks!

Let me know and I can send you the profile I use. It makes the phone talk (alerting them that gps is being remotely enabled to track the phone down) and sends a confirmation text to the number that activates the gps. Then you can use "wheres my droid" or whatever else to track that S.O.B. down.
:p

Edit: Speellieng

Herp Derp Captivate XDA

laughingT

Oct 30, 2011
Oakland, CA
Google Pixel 6a
Maybe call your carrier and see if they can poll for the phone's imei number, if you or they have it. It will be on the phone's packaging box if you got it new.

And when you get it back, or next phone, I recommend that you give avast anti-theft or similar app a try. When the sim card is changed, it will send an sms alert to friends you specify in setup, then lock the phone until you send an unlock command or the correct 6 digit pin is entered on the phone.

It's also got a command to completely wipe the phone, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

agapedisciple

Jun 16, 2010
Anyone know of a way to enable GPS via SMS on a Samsung Galaxy S3? Is this possible with root access?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Shywilli73

Oct 19, 2017
Hello! So, I got 2 phones(no pun intended or whatsoever related to song). They are T-Mobile cells. One is locked due to non payment of bill, the other was bought out right. Just upgraded to a new phone. To make a long and complicated story short. The travel trailer that I was temporarily living in was "broken" into and my 2 phones we're taken along with colored pens. The reason I say "broken" into the way I do is because it was CLEARLY a "staged" break in. I had wayyyyy more valuables out in plain sight(I. e. $4500 24 kt. Diamond wedding ring set and other jewelry) for the "robbers" to steal. But instead they take colored pens and two cell phones. I have tried to locate both phones through google's find phone app., but it can't locate. I ALWAYS keep my GPS on, even on ones that no longer have service b/c I can still use them through wi-fi connect. Being that I can't locate my phones, I can only assume that they are turned off and the location /GPS is also off. My question is this? Does Google have a remote service that can turn the GPS on from my new phone so that I can catch and prosecute the idiots who did this? Quick, prompt, patient, and accurate responses. I very desperate! Thanks shywilli73@gmail.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the advice pizz0wn3d. I will look into Tasker and see if it works for me and what I need it to do. :)

Let me know and I can send you the profile I use. It makes the phone talk (alerting them that gps is being remotely enabled to track the phone down) and sends a confirmation text to the number that activates the gps. Then you can use "wheres my droid" or whatever else to track that S.O.B. down.
    :p

Edit: Speellieng

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
    Thanks, pizz0wn3d that would be great! I looked up Tasker, it has a great many features that I can see paying for, but did not see the remote GPS activation/enabling in its description, on their website, or wiki. If you can, also send me the direction on how to set it up to do it. I might whined up missing something up with 190 options. :D But can always re-ROM if need be.

Well the way my profile is set up, whenever I receive a text with a certain phrase in it, it'll turn on the gps. Along with a few other things :p

It's not one of the advertised features because it's just one of the many things you can do with it.

I'll try to post a dropbox link in a few minutes.

Edit: This oughta work. Import this into tasker.

http://db.tt/D7u8eKw
    It should be able to import after you paste the xml file into:
    /sdcard/tasker/profiles

Then just hit menu -> profile data -> import one profile

Herp Derp Captivate XDA
    Maybe call your carrier and see if they can poll for the phone's imei number, if you or they have it. It will be on the phone's packaging box if you got it new.

And when you get it back, or next phone, I recommend that you give avast anti-theft or similar app a try. When the sim card is changed, it will send an sms alert to friends you specify in setup, then lock the phone until you send an unlock command or the correct 6 digit pin is entered on the phone.

It's also got a command to completely wipe the phone, etc.