Mobile Hotspot modded to skip provisioning check (VZW)

Search This thread

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Just letting you guys know, I have been contacted by mods and requested to give the name of the source of this mod, despite the dev's requests to me to not share his name.

As such, I have to take down this thread within 24 hours, and I'll comply with that rather than break my promise to the dev. Grab it while you can folks, I'm removing this early tomorrow, unless I can talk the dev into speaking out.

Last edited:

Kaiken

Dec 8, 2010
Just letting you guys know, I have been contacted by mods and requested to give the name of the source of this mod, despite the dev's requests to me to not share his name.

As such, I have to take down this thread within 24 hours, and I'll comply with that rather than break my promise to the dev. Grab it while you can folks, I'm removing this early tomorrow, unless I can talk the dev into speaking out.

That's unfortunate but understandable. Not knowing a source always raises questions. Wish the Dev can speak up so many of us can give thanks and we can continue to enjoy the most of this amazing phone.

pouxonu

Aug 29, 2010

My quote didn't grab as much as I thought. I was reffering to drkow19's post where he put up a zip file for someone who deleted the mobile hotspot apk and odex file.His zip had the odex file but not the hotspot apk. That's what I was looking for was all and I have everything else I needed.Apologies for not getting my post right the first time lol.

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
My quote didn't grab as much as I thought. I was reffering to drkow19's post where he put up a zip file for someone who deleted the mobile hotspot apk and odex file.His zip had the odex file but not the hotspot apk. That's what I was looking for was all and I have everything else I needed.Apologies for not getting my post right the first time lol.

Oh sorry my post wasn't meant to quote you. My bad. The possible takedown has nothing to do with you. Whoops!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

drkow19

Apr 16, 2009
White Lake, Michigan
Just accidently did the same thing and unistalled in the hotspot apk. The zip there doesn't have the apk just the odex file and the mobile update client. Can anyone just pull the apk for the hotspot.Thanks in advance.

Whoops, sorry about that. Let me try again. What is the name of the hotspot apk? Got it, must have clicked the wrong one :silly:

Attachments

• MobileHotspot-2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 603

driggity

Jun 29, 2010
Always after pushing files. Just seems odd that I got the browser to push fine. I wonder if there's some data/cache I need to rid of first...

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Forgot about the odex file. Renamed that and I'm all good!

For people that don't want to root with su and only adb root. My steps renames the original files instead of completely deleting them. Follow these commands:

adb remount
adb shell
cd /system/app/
mv HotspotProvision.apk HotspotProvision.bak
mv HotspotProvision.odex HotspotProvision.bakodex
exit
adb push HotspotProvision.apk /system/app/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/HotspotProvision.apk
adb reboot

Again, you'll need adb root mentioned in the Root thread.

Thanks, I'll probably do full root eventually but this worked for me for now. Well, I haven't actually connected to the hotspot but it starts up just fine so I assume it will work.

Last edited:

cybrvipr23

Jun 15, 2010

^This was said but I guess it didn't happen.

MetalMonkey

Jul 28, 2010
Denver
Thanks a ton for posting this! Unfortunately I got greedy and tried to get this done at the airport before leaving the country Friday night. Trying to download the file from Mega on my phone put me into a small rage as even after trying it 5 different ways and creating a stupid account it still wouldn't just frackin download...

So then being half distracted through a 3 hour delay that saw us board and deboard a plane I used the files drkow19 posted to replace the ones I had for MobileHotspot.apk and .odex. ES File Explorer wasn't working (thought it supported root), so I booted into TWRP, mounted system and got the old files moved (renamed) to .old. I realized these were identical and pointless, but then I finally was able to get through the Mega nonsense before takeoff to download the HotspotProvision apk. While in the air I decided (foolishly) to try and be productive and get this done. However my system/app folder did not have a version of this file yet (apk or odex) and so I searched to see if I'd disabled it, but found no disabled apps related to tethering. So I copied the Provision apk using Solid Explorer as I remembered I had it too and it's root access seemed to be working. After a reboot I figured I'd at least try to enable it (while in the air) and see if the VZW nag was gone. It was! Yay! Maybe I'd try to get a cheap sim if I could find one and really do some fun testing :) Except that when I landed I now had a problem. Google Play Music started trying to cache some files as soon as I got on a free wi-fi, but wi-fi kept restarting and dropping :(

Over the past day or so I've found it's not just wi-fi. Even on airplane mode my phone/apps keep resetting at random times. I'm browsing Solid Explorer and all of a sudden the screen flashes and I'm back to the default location. I'm taking pictures quite a bit and every so often it just blinks and resets my mode. Nova Launcher has crashed a few times and lost it's default designation.

So I removed the renamed files and the HotspotProvision.apk from the system/app folder and restored my TB backup. Still glitching. Wiped dalvik cache, no luck. Using ROM Manager to Fix permissions and it keeps resetting and starting over and over and over. :(

Someone please tell me there's something easy / obvious I should try. My phone is still usable, but it's becoming infuriating. I've got a TWRP backup from over a week ago (that TWRP tagged as 1970-1-08 for some reason and date modified says 1970-09-01), but really don't want to use it unless I have to (and am slightly worried it won't help). I'll be very grateful for any assistance!

Thanks!
Doug in Iceland

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Thanks a ton for posting this! Unfortunately I got greedy and tried to get this done at the airport before leaving the country Friday night. Trying to download the file from Mega on my phone put me into a small rage as even after trying it 5 different ways and creating a stupid account it still wouldn't just frackin download...

...[snip]...

Someone please tell me there's something easy / obvious I should try. My phone is still usable, but it's becoming infuriating. I've got a TWRP backup from over a week ago (that TWRP tagged as 1970-1-08 for some reason and date modified says 1970-09-01), but really don't want to use it unless I have to (and am slightly worried it won't help). I'll be very grateful for any assistance!

Thanks!
Doug in Iceland

Hey man, sorry you're having such a massively terrible time with this. You mention you are in iceland, so just to be sure, you ARE on verizon model of the phone right?

First off, Mega doesnt require a log in, not sure what issues you were having with it, but Id blame the airport wifi you were on.

As for the state of your phone, sorry mate, but I have no clue in my mind of what could be causing your problems. My only suggestion is make a Titanium backup (not including the hotspot stuff) and then restore to your TWRP backup in recovery, and then restore your TiBu backup once you are booted into that.

IF even that doesnt fix it, then the only thing I can recommend is a factory reset. None of this should be necessary, and I am completely confused as to how an app, which only runs when you tell it to run, could possibly effect your phone in such a way. The Hotspot Provisioning files are not used ever, aside from when you actually try to launch tethering. So I am inclined to say that your issues are not related to this mod, despite the timing of events lining up.

I wish you the best of luck, perhaps you could hop in #lg-g2 channel on irc.freenode.net and try to get some more help. I am not the dev who made this mod, and as such I cant fix any bugs in it, but suffice to say you are the first person with these sort of issues.

moosc

Feb 21, 2010
Charlotte NC
First I would stick with using root explorer. Best root file app out there. Second sounds like you did some tinkering before hand. What I would do is flash my back up of original rom. You did make a backup before you started tinkering? Then go in rename the files and copy the apk over then you should b golden.

So then being half distracted through a 3 hour delay that saw us board and deboard a plane I used the files drkow19 posted to replace the ones I had for MobileHotspot.apk and .odex. ES File Explorer wasn't working (thought it supported root), so I booted into TWRP, mounted system and got the old files moved (renamed) to .old. I realized these were identical and pointless, but then I finally was able to get through the Mega nonsense before takeoff to download the HotspotProvision apk. While in the air I decided (foolishly) to try and be productive and get this done. However my system/app folder did not have a version of this file yet (apk or odex) and so I searched to see if I'd disabled it, but found no disabled apps related to tethering. So I copied the Provision apk using Solid Explorer as I remembered I had it too and it's root access seemed to be working. After a reboot I figured I'd at least try to enable it (while in the air) and see if the VZW nag was gone. It was! Yay! Maybe I'd try to get a cheap sim if I could find one and really do some fun testing :) Except that when I landed I now had a problem. Google Play Music started trying to cache some files as soon as I got on a free wi-fi, but wi-fi kept restarting and dropping :(

Over the past day or so I've found it's not just wi-fi. Even on airplane mode my phone/apps keep resetting at random times. I'm browsing Solid Explorer and all of a sudden the screen flashes and I'm back to the default location. I'm taking pictures quite a bit and every so often it just blinks and resets my mode. Nova Launcher has crashed a few times and lost it's default designation.

So I removed the renamed files and the HotspotProvision.apk from the system/app folder and restored my TB backup. Still glitching. Wiped dalvik cache, no luck. Using ROM Manager to Fix permissions and it keeps resetting and starting over and over and over. :(

Thanks!
Doug in Iceland

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

MetalMonkey

Jul 28, 2010
Denver
Thanks for the fast responses guys. Yes I'm on Verizon, but just happen to be traveling. Here's a video of what I've been experiencing. I tried to keep my post brief, but comprehensive. One of the things I left out because I haven't been focused enough to report on accurately is that it seems to happen less when on airplane mode, but I believe it still happens.

The other thing I didn't include was my wife mentioning it maybe happening on her (completely stock) S4. She didn't want to bother with phones though of course as we just jumped 6 time zones, but as she's reviewing pictures just now it happened to her too. Wi-fi blinks out and her Gallery app blinks like the video below... :( My Nexus 7 hasn't had any issues here however. I did do some research on wi-fi resetting while overseas, but didn't turn up a lot beyond this "arp" issue here. Sorry for the novel and thanks again for the help. Looks like I may have to move this request for assistance to another thread. Crap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27ow2s8s68wlloh/2013-09-29 20.33.17.mp4

Gasaraki-

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for the fast responses guys. Yes I'm on Verizon, but just happen to be traveling. Here's a video of what I've been experiencing. I tried to keep my post brief, but comprehensive. One of the things I left out because I haven't been focused enough to report on accurately is that it seems to happen less when on airplane mode, but I believe it still happens.

The other thing I didn't include was my wife mentioning it maybe happening on her (completely stock) S4. She didn't want to bother with phones though of course as we just jumped 6 time zones, but as she's reviewing pictures just now it happened to her too. Wi-fi blinks out and her Gallery app blinks like the video below... :( My Nexus 7 hasn't had any issues here however. I did do some research on wi-fi resetting while overseas, but didn't turn up a lot beyond this "arp" issue here. Sorry for the novel and thanks again for the help. Looks like I may have to move this request for assistance to another thread. Crap

https://www.dropbox.com/s/27ow2s8s68wlloh/2013-09-29 20.33.17.mp4

What? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all. I have obtained a modded version of the Mobile Hotspot provisioning for Verizon. This should let you use hotspot without paying VZW for the feature that is free to any non-VZW rom users..

TO CLEAR UP ANY CONFUSION: I am NOT the original developer of this mod. I was directly contacted by the modder who wished to remain anonymous due to the potentially grey legal area of a mod such as this.
    Suffice to say that I am not stealing credit, and that I am posting it specifically to act as a shield to the original dev, as per their request. If I need to give a name to avoid flak, then I'll just remove the post rather than break my promise.

UPDATE: The mods are OK with this posrt for now, unless anything happens. So for now it's staying up.

Anywho. Download the file, backup and remove HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

You should now be able to set up your mobile hotspot.
    I am posting this from my tethered computer :)

HotspotProvision.apk (98 KB)

Note that I DID NOT CREATE THIS.
    If this for some reason is not allowed on here, please let me know and/or delete the post.
    They are not my files to share. I wont post them out of respect to the developer. All you need to do is find a 25a or 25b rom with the modded hotspot and extract the files from it.

Thank you :)

For those asking, here it is:

VS98025B Hotspot Mod

usual rules apply...use it in your rom, etc if you want, but give credit.

EDIT: For those that have asked, this is the same apk for 26A. It's unchanged.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!ktYESIpZ!ODIDhJ1PVkJzWiiMZrUrDE5Yg_bk3Z-Hq0Dt0LgC2z4

This is a deodexed version based on xdabbeb's hack. Should work on any 24a based rom/
    Did you reboot

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Always after pushing files. Just seems odd that I got the browser to push fine. I wonder if there's some data/cache I need to rid of first...

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Forgot about the odex file. Renamed that and I'm all good!

For people that don't want to root with su and only adb root. My steps renames the original files instead of completely deleting them. Follow these commands:

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app/
    mv HotspotProvision.apk HotspotProvision.bak
    mv HotspotProvision.odex HotspotProvision.bakodex
    exit
    adb push HotspotProvision.apk /system/app/
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/HotspotProvision.apk
    adb reboot

Again, you'll need adb root mentioned in the Root thread.