[GUIDE] A500 Back to Factory Stock the easy way.

Search This thread
May 10, 2011
ok so i've had a tad of progress or a bit of "suck-cess" as it were. let me try to give the concise version. followed all steps JdgM3NT4L (thanks again man) gave me using tools necessary (APX Flash Tool). Wow super easy. somehow i screw it up by not IMMEDIATELY going to cwm recovery upon completion of apx flashing and let it boot normally. BAM! never-ending android gear logo. attempt reboot into recovery a no go, android exclamation mark. OK, makes sense, i let the previous bs rom install do its thing and it screwed my work. REDO the apx flash all over again then directly back in to cwm recovery without a hitch..awesome. i attempt to flash "CM10-FLEX_V6Supercharged_Rev1.6-Public" rom in a greedy attempt to get the rom i really want runnin'. upon completion of aroma installer and rebooting. Bam black screen(with backlight on) with no movement seemingly forever. thought "****, i got too greedy", i should just do the "Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1" rom to take me all the way back. immediately try to flash that instead, back to neverending gears...crap. REDO AGAIN the apx flash tool and after it finishes i enter cwm recovery and flash the Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1 again thinking my double flash(like guile from street fighter) was the reason for the fail. same thing, gears forever again and exclamation droid in trying cwm recovery. RE-REDO AGAIN the apx tool. it finishes, i double check cwm recovery works again and yes it does. so i turn off tablet as we've both had enough for the night. so, what am i doing wrong when flashing a rom? my sd card is not formatted every time and has my prior a500 profiles roms,comics,pics,vids,ebooks,downloads, and nandroid backup. does that matter? do i have corrupt zip roms? i didnt rename them update.zip prior to flashing. my sbk i used was from a text file i saved with "Afterota v1.09" when i first installed installed skrilla_cz v8 and installed lightspeed 4.8. am i bricked forever? thanks JdgM3NT4L and everyone who made suggestions for me and read this long ass "concise" post. hit me up with ideas about what to do with my ridiculousness.

May 10, 2011
update:

i was trying to flash lightspeed 4.8 in cwm recovery and before doing so i went to format /data and it gave an error formatting! it said "error removing /data/data/com.android.providers.calender/databases.db-journal! so i'm guessing that could be the issue as i am following this post here which sounds very similar to my issue. i just wanted to know from someone "in the know" that I'm on the right track or am i just grasping at straws? hit me up!!! thanks guys.

May 10, 2011
"It's Alive!!!"

it's alive...it's moving...it's alive, ohh its alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!!! thanks JdgM3NT4L! its back to HC 3.2.1. so in your opinion what should i do next? back to lightspeed 4.8? indulge myself with a jellybean rom?

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
Congrats!
Happy to know that you made it.

But first OTA to ICS if you can. Much better experience from there.

As far as rom recomendations go, I haven't used a JellyBean rom yet. So I can't say about that. I am using Flexstryker by Civato and couldn't be happier. If I had any complaints at all about that rom or if I just wanted to try out some JB I'd probably go with his version. But my games work, my hardware works, it is fast. I can't see messing with it yet. I'll get bored someday and make a switch. Heck I do more rom changing just to help diagnose or duplicate errors that folks make so I can help fix their tablets. Can't tell you how many times I've ota'd to ICS...

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
This may be a stupid question but how do I backup my UID and SBK like the original post says?

I'm currently running Thor's JB build with what i'm assuming is the original bootloader but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get back to stock so I can get to the unlocked ICS bootloader so I can try some of the new ROMs that are out.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
This may be a stupid question but how do I backup my UID and SBK like the original post says?

I'm currently running Thor's JB build with what i'm assuming is the original bootloader but I'm not sure. I'm trying to get back to stock so I can get to the unlocked ICS bootloader so I can try some of the new ROMs that are out.

dibb_nz put together a great guide that will help you. She has 5 different methods posted. Pick the one that you like the best and roll with it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25429111#post25429111

Good luck.

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
dibb_nz put together a great guide that will help you. She has 5 different methods posted. Pick the one that you like the best and roll with it.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25429111#post25429111

Good luck.

I tried downloading the OTA Tool since he said he made most of the guide obsolete but it doesn't work. I get Driver error in every field. Can you give me a little help with this? I find the maze of links to other posts that link to other posts that link to other posts that are now obsolete and its all very confusing to me. I need a good source of current information that doesn't still contain the old information so I don't get confused.

A little hand holding with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
I tried downloading the OTA Tool since he said he made most of the guide obsolete but it doesn't work. I get Driver error in every field. Can you give me a little help with this? I find the maze of links to other posts that link to other posts that link to other posts that are now obsolete and its all very confusing to me. I need a good source of current information that doesn't still contain the old information so I don't get confused.

A little hand holding with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sure, go here and get the proper drivers. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Choose Select Product Category, I've capped a few screens for clarity.

AcerDriverPage1.jpg

AcerDriverPage2.jpg

I always choose the 3.2 drivers.

Once you get those it should be a smooth process.

I should be around all evening. If I can help more please say so.

Last edited:

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
I also tried the A500 Manager app but when I click on get serial number / cpuid it doesn't return any results.

It says "Staring ADB Server" then "Extracting Serial Number string..." then "Killing ADB Server" but nothing it returned.

Is it because i'm running JellyBean currently? The whole reason i'm doing this is to get back to stock so that I can update to ICS so I hope that doesn't mean i'm stuck with JB.

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
I also tried the A500 Manager app but when I click on get serial number / cpuid it doesn't return any results.

It says "Staring ADB Server" then "Extracting Serial Number string..." then "Killing ADB Server" but nothing it returned.

Is it because i'm running JellyBean currently? The whole reason i'm doing this is to get back to stock so that I can update to ICS so I hope that doesn't mean i'm stuck with JB.

If you haven't already tried those drivers that's probably what is wrong.

If you've already done that, try going into CWM and make a backup. It will have your uid in a file. Transfer it to your pc before you go any further. Then look at the first link that I gave you and see how to extract it. It is very easy.

But those drivers are important so be sure that it is installed.

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
If you haven't already tried those drivers that's probably what is wrong.

If you've already done that, try going into CWM and make a backup. It will have your uid in a file. Transfer it to your pc before you go any further. Then look at the first link that I gave you and see how to extract it. It is very easy.

But those drivers are important so be sure that it is installed.

Thanks guys. The drivers were the problem. After installing the driver, the OTA Tool worked. I was able to backup my UID and SBK. Now all i have to do is flash the 3.2 zip. Once i'm back at HC I'll have to start reading on whats involved in updating to the ICS unlocked bootloader so I can try some new ROMs. For anyone that has done the ICS unlocked bootloader is it hard to do?

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks guys. The drivers were the problem. After installing the driver, the OTA Tool worked. I was able to backup my UID and SBK. Now all i have to do is flash the 3.2 zip. Once i'm back at HC I'll have to start reading on whats involved in updating to the ICS unlocked bootloader so I can try some new ROMs. For anyone that has done the ICS unlocked bootloader is it hard to do?

It is as easy as what you've done so far.

Look above for one of my posts with a lot of little pictures. (It is about ten posts up) It show's the process using blackthund3rs APX Tool.

To get it google this. blackthund3r apx tool

It should be the first result.

Almost forgot, if you go decide to go with a stock rom first be sure to be on at least 3.2 before trying to update the bootloader.

Last edited:
May 10, 2011
Yup, that's what i did. once i was on stock hc, i ota'd ics then used the blackthund3r apx tool and chose package #17(the thor one). flashed that and then loaded recovery and wiped data,cache,and dalvik cache. i then formatted data, but for me i had to toggle backup and restore of internal storage /data/media to format properly. i then did a format of system, cache, and flexrom. i flashed lightspeed 4.8 afterward which i am very happy with because it is now stable. unlike the previous time i did it i never formatted data and all my prior issues just migrated to lightspeed and the **** later hit the fan. although i have had 1 instance of SOD and also 1 instance of a flickering crash in the past 30 hrs or so the tablet has been up. is there and android equivalent of event viewer or something to log apps force closing or crashing the os?

Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
Yup, that's what i did. once i was on stock hc, i ota'd ics then used the blackthund3r apx tool and chose package #17(the thor one). flashed that and then loaded recovery and wiped data,cache,and dalvik cache. i then formatted data, but for me i had to toggle backup and restore of internal storage /data/media to format properly. i then did a format of system, cache, and flexrom. i flashed lightspeed 4.8 afterward which i am very happy with because it is now stable. unlike the previous time i did it i never formatted data and all my prior issues just migrated to lightspeed and the **** later hit the fan. although i have had 1 instance of SOD and also 1 instance of a flickering crash in the past 30 hrs or so the tablet has been up. is there and android equivalent of event viewer or something to log apps force closing or crashing the os?

Sure. You can adb logcat from either your pc or terminal on the tablet.

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

Those two links should help with that.

Also there are apps at the play store that will capture logs.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=log,+logcat&c=apps

Danv1369

Dec 23, 2010
Riverside
bootloop

I followed the steps and ran into boot loop after teh Acer logo. When I try to go back to recovery (Vol - and Power) I get the Android with Exclamation point. I did notice when I rebooted after flashing the ICS Rom it did not say Flashing Kernal under Skryllax_cz as mentioned in the first post. Instead it said Booting Primary Kernal like it normally does when I turn on the tablet. Any help would be appreciated

JdgM3NT4L

Dec 30, 2009
I followed the steps and ran into boot loop after teh Acer logo. When I try to go back to recovery (Vol - and Power) I get the Android with Exclamation point. I did notice when I rebooted after flashing the ICS Rom it did not say Flashing Kernal under Skryllax_cz as mentioned in the first post. Instead it said Booting Primary Kernal like it normally does when I turn on the tablet. Any help would be appreciated

Yeah that happens if you forget to wipe before flashing the rom. What you have to do is basically start all over.

Just follow the steps outlined on the 20th post above. Or here's a link. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32905041&postcount=20

Once you've done that you should have recovery back, do your wipes as described and reflash the 3.2 rom and you should hopefully be good to go.

Going to bed. I'll try to check before work to see if it worked out.

Danv1369

Dec 23, 2010
Riverside
Yeah that happens if you forget to wipe before flashing the rom. What you have to do is basically start all over.

Just follow the steps outlined on the 20th post above. Or here's a link. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32905041&postcount=20

Once you've done that you should have recovery back, do your wipes as described and reflash the 3.2 rom and you should hopefully be good to go.

Going to bed. I'll try to check before work to see if it worked out.

Thanks JdgM3NT4L, I did wipe but may not of done something right :) I will check the post and provide an update as soon as can.

Danv1369

Dec 23, 2010
Riverside
THANK YOU JdgM3NT4L!!!!

I tried option 17 with no luck. I tried option 16 and was not able to boot into the system but was able to get into TWRP. I had a back up that I was able to restore and get the tablet to boot.

Now I think that was the problem...I had TWRP recovery when I tried this threads method to go back to full stock. Could that be cause? Would flashing CWM and trying again work?

Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a good way to bring an A500 back to full stock from just about any rom, custom or stock rooted. You need to already have CWM installed.

WIPE SYSTEM/DATA/CACHE/DELVIC FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't already have your UID and SBK get those first and back them up in multiple locations!!!!!!!!!!!!

This quote is shamelessly plagiarized from an answer posted by Moscow Desire on a different thread. Drop in and say thanks to him if it does you some good.

When you install a custom Rom, you have to wipe the original Data first. This is done in the CWM recovery which you installed.

EDIT; Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz . Please say thanks to her.

HC_3.2_Gen_1_OTA_update.zip

HC 3.1_Gen_1_FULL_update.zip

When you boot to CWM Recovery, you have a menu item "Wipes"

In Wipes;
    1. Data/Factory Reset (don't worry, it skips your photos and such)
    2. Cache
    3. Dalvik Cache

Wait, you're not finished.

Go back to the previous menu, and select "Mounts and Storage".
    1. Format System
    2. Format Flexrom

Now, go back to the previous menu, and select Install Zip from SD (or similar)

MD

You are going to lose all data. I make nandroid backups with data toggled everytime that I do anything to my tablet. Do you?

After following the above instructions,
    Just simply flash a stock 3.2 image. It's really too simple. Flash it in recovery. This even works while using the patched bootloader by skryllax_cz. There are a selection of roms midway down this post and at the bottom. Any of them should work for this.

When the 3.2 finishes it's flash and you reboot. The tablet will show "Flashing Bootloader" under the custom skryllax_cz text.
    It will reboot on it's own.

That's it. You should be able to OTA.
    I recommend going to the Play store and downloading/install the Acer Update Enhancement utility after the tablet settles down.
    However, my tablet downloaded a small update right away without it.

Here is an additional option as suggested by dibb_nz in the 11th post below. drop down and say thanks if it helped!

Just a thought, the update zips can be flashed in 2 ways.
    If u use the stock recovery then rename the file to "update.zip" and remember to remove it from yr sdcard after you're done. This is really important!! You'll end up in strife if u don't!!

With a custom recovery then use install zip option.

With the 3.1 zip u can retrieve yr cpuid (if u need to) then update to the unlocked ICS bootloader directly. This isn't possible with the 3.2 zip

Have a gr8 day people:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

Good luck and please post your results. Thanks.

Here's a link to a stock 3.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip. It is probably easier to go with one of the 3.2 roms below. But if you want it there it is.
    (Directions; Flash the stock 3.1 (Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip) AFTER WIPING SYSTEM/CACHE/DATA/DELVIC, reboot, then ota to ICS. After you do the first OTA and it reboots it will say a Flashing Bootloader message then reboot with all stock everything.)

Stock 3.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip

Stock 3.2 provided by dibb_nz - http://www.4shared.com/zip/GgHzZieZ/HC_32_update.html

Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz. Please say thanks to her.

New Link
    jasenlee1984 had success using Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 3.2 rom from blackthund3r's stock firmware thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560
    If it helps you, click his name and then the thanks button.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I have included post 20 from below. It is a guide for getting recovery back should something go wrong. What it will do is install CWM as well as the V8 bootloader. After that you can start all over or flash whatever you want.

I prefer to use Blackthund3rs APX Flash Tool. To get the apx tool google this. blackthund3r apx tool

Basically what you will do is get the tool, open it, choose bundle market, choose 17, use default bct, enter APX download mode, and flash the V8 bootloader with CWM.

The steps are... (Copied from here.)

Step 1.
    APXWalkthrough02.jpg

Step 2.
    APXWalkthrough03.jpg

Step 3.
    APXWalkthrough04.jpg

Step 4.
    APXWalkthrough05.jpg
    I used number 17.
    Step 5.
    APXWalkthrough07.jpg

Step 6.
    APXWalkthrough08.jpg

Step 7.
    APXWalkthrough09.jpg
    I used the default since my tab was fried.
    Step 8.
    APXWalkthrough10.jpg
    At this point you will have to choose to enter APX mode manually. Follow the instructions on the next screen.

Once you are in APX mode and plugged into the pc you should see the message APX device connected. Choose the next arrow, once it runs for a few seconds it will ask you to confirm that the APX download mode has started.
    21_Old_Logo1-568x412.jpg

Once it has. Confirm and wait for it to finish. Get into CWM, flash the rom and you should be good to go.

But other than that you should be back to normal in no time.

Good luck.

And again with the links.

Here's a link to a stock 3.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip. It is probably easier to go with one of the 3.2 roms below. But if you want it there it is.
    (Directions; Flash the stock 3.1 (Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip) AFTER WIPING SYSTEM/CACHE/DATA/DELVIC, reboot, then ota to ICS. After you do the first OTA and it reboots it will say a Flashing Bootloader message then reboot with all stock everything.)

Stock 3.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdy13u4ufec461/Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1.zip

Stock 3.2 provided by dibb_nz - http://www.4shared.com/zip/GgHzZieZ/HC_32_update.html

Here are two Gen 1 roms provided by dibb_nz. Please say thanks to her.

New Link
    jasenlee1984 had success using Acer_A500_7.006.03_COM_GEN1 3.2 rom from blackthund3r's stock firmware thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560
    If it helps you, click his name and then the thanks button.
    edit: update 16th Dec

GUYSnGURLZ I have uploaded a folder for you....its the 3.1 Full Update and includes iconiaroot.apk and acer recovery intaller.apk
    There's also a readme file in there how to install, root and flash a custom recovery...enjoy
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9hsmbilzz4c1a

@ jdgM3NT4L Excellent Post/Thread and thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!
    hi m8 I have it uploaded to 4shared if that helps.

Hey thanks. I'd be glad to link to it if you don't mind.

Did this again yesterday on v6 still w8n for OTA, flashed v8from HC but nothing as yet,
    maybe need v8 from ICS?? I give it a few hours more, missing stryker, lol.

Did you update from the Play Store that silly Acer Enhancement app or whatever it is called?

And thanks for this its sooooooo easy, nice find!

Thank you for all that you do here. You're really saving alot of peoples arses lately.

Kinda curious. Did this method work for the A501 folks?
    Wow this is awesome! Cannot believe how easy this was. Worked flawlessly. I flashed the stock 3.2 rom, booted up and DL the acer app right away then checked for updates. After a few websites, I was on stock ICS. Thanks!
    This was how I tried to do it a few weeks ago, through the stock recovery, and I got stuck in a bootloop
    BUT, I did the thing where you hold down Vol Up+ Power then flick the switch back and forth and that got me booted into stock HC