[DEV] Two-way call recording on Desire [ALMOST SOLVED][Sept. 7 update]

Search This thread

MonacoHias

Dec 1, 2007
The problem with outgoing call is now confirmed to be a userspace issue. I'll patch rVoix.apk when I have a proper solution (cannot do it right now because of deficiency of Android SDK).

For time being, please use the following trick to record outgoing calls from the line:

1. Settings->Outgoing calls->Default action, select "Ask each time"
2. When you call somebody, the Yes/No window will appear asking if the call should be recorded.
3. NOW, press YES button only after your callee responds!

If you press it before, your call will be recorded from the MIKE, otherwise, it'll be recorded from the LINE.

Thanks alot for this nice great app!

On my Desire with LeeDroid ROM 2.3d (Froyo) its working pefectly, and following your description even outgoing records are in high quality. :)

Also very usefull that it is possible to exclude several numbers from recording (Mailbox f.e.).
:D

Last edited:

elvis56

Jul 11, 2010
You know how to do this to work with this patch?

I guess there will be patches to existing kernels soon enough. Happy enough call recording is finally working.

Overclocking, powersave and smartass governor are also not available with this kernel btw.

For now I can live without mounting network shares and the cpu options. I think Leedroid will release a new version soon, hopefully the call recording will be included.

chihliouma

Feb 3, 2008
Hi avs333, thanks for the solution, but before I can start to try this, I do have some questions and hope you (or somebody) can help to answer.

Will this affect the kernel now I am using in my ROM ? I mean I want to keep ALL the features/ function now I have from my current kernel, but after I flash the update.zip, the kernel will be changed totally or just my kernel + your update portion ???

Thanks

JDima

Aug 28, 2009
Cheers, avs333!
Everything seems working on CM7 (outgoing calls - via the workaround). If everything's done with the kernel - how about contacting major kernel developers so that they include your code in their kernels, and committing the patch to CM?

And is there a way to buy you some beer for an excellent job? :) I suggest you add it to your signature.

MonacoHias

Dec 1, 2007
I guess there will be patches to existing kernels soon enough. Happy enough call recording is finally working.

Overclocking, powersave and smartass governor are also not available with this kernel btw.

For now I can live without mounting network shares and the cpu options. I think Leedroid will release a new version soon, hopefully the call recording will be included.

I agree cause I never realized any difference between smartass / ondemand governor or overclocking in daily, normal use - so I can live with this "limitation" as well. Much more important is the functionality of this app + kernel.

As Lee is watching this thread we can hope to get a kernel / new ROM from him with this patch included. :)

EDIT: Recording phone calls (without permission of the callee) are not allowed in some countries so I don't think Lee or other Devs will include it. Maybe avs33 brings us some versions with different governors or other goodies ... :rolleyes:

But anyway, great work and thanks again avs333! It's the first working call recording solution for the Desire!

Last edited:

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Excellent work, glad to see someone still persevering with this...and apparently getting somewhere!! Will definitely be trying this out.

For what its worth, I read somewhere that the MIUI ROM for Desire has working voice recording in- and outgoing (no autoanswer). Don't use MIUI myself, but might be worth looking into? Perhaps someone out there has more experience of the MIUI ROMs?

avs333

Apr 12, 2005
Will this affect the kernel now I am using in my ROM ? I mean I want to keep ALL the features/ function now I have from my current kernel, but after I flash the update.zip, the kernel will be changed totally or just my kernel + your update portion ???
Unfortunately, yes. There is no way to replace the kernel "partially." Adding a module is also next to impossible in this case.
If you want all features present in your current kernel, you have to rebuild it using the patches I attached.
Or, even better, contact your ROM maker and ask him to do it.
Cheers, avs333!
Everything seems working on CM7 (outgoing calls - via the workaround). If everything's done with the kernel - how about contacting major kernel developers so that they include your code in their kernels, and committing the patch to CM?
Hope they spot this patch and adopt it to their builds!
And is there a way to buy you some beer for an excellent job? :) I suggest you add it to your signature.
Thank you, everybody says I'm drinking too much beer already :)
For me, the best reward would be somebody porting it to other ROMs/devices!
For what its worth, I read somewhere that the MIUI ROM for Desire has working voice recording in- and outgoing (no autoanswer). Don't use MIUI myself, but might be worth looking into? Perhaps someone out there has more experience of the MIUI ROMs?
It's very interesting! If so, they must've also found a way to do this. And, if their ROMs don't e.g. specifically require the latest radio version, the approach should be entirely different. This really needs be clarified and compared!
As to auto-answering, I don't currently see a way to implement it for Desire. Hope it changes some day...

Psyco-Man

Nov 25, 2010
hi there,

superb work, i waited long for this feature but unfortunately i m on a different rom and will not flash it at the moment.

ok, this is for devs, but we (the users) will help you to confirm if this is working on other roms or not, but how to install?

i ve the newest radio which you recommend, i have a kernel 2.6.32.15-froyo_bravo_V5
but what to do next ?

am i right with these steps?
1. radio = ok
2. kernel= ok
3. update.zip for the right kernel in recovery
4. install rVoix.apk
5. finish - reboot Phone

i would give it a try and let you know if you can confirm that i should do it that way.
(my phone is actually running on Starburst Rom with sibere´s Data2SD Script)

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
Twitter
"couttstechsrc couttstech bot
All kernels updated to include the two way call recording patch"
Any download link? :confused:

EDIT: it looks like the Sense kernel have last been updated on Jan 17, only the AOSP kernels have been updated today (Mar 18). So I assume he means all AOSP kernels.
Is the patch not compatible with the patch?!

Last edited:

cozzmo

Jun 4, 2010
Job well done - waited for it for very long time

Works with Neophyte Mod 1.8:):):)
Waiting for a ROM with all updates inside
BTW : will the outgoing issue going to be solved?

AVS333 Thanks a lot

Cozzmo

cozzmo

Jun 4, 2010
I have tried the MIUI rom and it does not record
If you google you will see most will say it doesn't
TMHO it's BS

Yannn

Sep 6, 2007
so ... Does it works with the oxygen 1.0.4 rom build on 2.6.35. kernel ?
no one ???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At last, I've nearly succeeded in enabling two-way call recording directly from the phone line on HTC Desire.
    This works with the latest 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio only.

So far, the line recording was confirmed to work for incoming calls on different 2.6.32 and 2.6.37 based ROMs

The recordings of incoming calls are crystal clear, with the other party recorded as loud as your voice.

The trouble with the outgoing calls needs your help!!! It seems to be a userspace- rather than kernel-related issue: e.g., LeeDroid 2_3d ROM was confirmed to record outgoing calls as well. I'm unable to solve this because I have no Desire (i.e., the device:)), but I suspect that it may be caused by some other app like dialer or voice dialing stuff stealing the mic before the recording is started.

So, I attach:
    1. Two update.zip's with patched stock 2.6.32 and cm7 2.6.37 kernels, wifi modules included (please select a proper one for testing).
    2. My rVoix app hastily ported to desire. Many settings won't work, e.g. sound boost/autoanswer. Any other voice recording program won't suit, almost surely.
    3. The kernel patches themselves (against the stock HTC kernel from their site and the latest cm7 from their github) -- needed for developers only.

You need a ROOTED device with 32.54.00.32U_5.14.05.17 radio for tests.

I'd be very happy if somebody finds a proper solution for outgoing calls, whatever it might be.
    And I'd be even more happy if somebody ports the patches to other qsd/msm7x30 devices like Desire HD/Z, etc.

Please enjoy!

--------------------------
    UPDATE:

The problem with outgoing calls is now confirmed to be a userspace issue. I'll patch rVoix.apk when I have a proper solution (cannot do it right now because of deficiency of Android SDK). For time being, please use the following trick to record outgoing calls from the line:

1. Settings->Outgoing calls->Default action, select "Ask each time"
    2. When you call somebody, the Yes/No window will appear asking if the call should be recorded.
    3. Рress YES button only after your callee responds!

If you press it before, your call will be recorded from the MIKE, otherwise, it'll be recorded from the LINE.

UPDATE:
    skvalex wrote an app to record both incoming and outgoing calls automatically! Please look up his posts here.

UPDATE:
    Several kernels & ROMs around here have already been patched! My thanks to those developers!!! Please check relevant threads: if you see that the 2-way recording patch is included, you needn't install any update.zip's attached herein: just install rVoix or (even better) an app by skvalex.

Attention!
    If you want to help in improving CallRecorder, please add a star to the issue as illustrated on the screenshot below.
    This API is of vital importance for CallRecorder, and CallRecorder cannot be fully functional without it.

attachment.php

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15872

UPDATE:
    I'm attaching a new built for stock Gingerbread 2.6.35, should work with sense-based ROMs (patch sources are at http://code.google.com/p/2-way-call-recording/source/browse/#svn/patches). It includes numerous fixes and AMR support (CallRecorder 1.0.31 or later needed).

UPDATE:
    Please visit the site skvalex.com/donate.php, there's very important info by our skvalex!
    When i call they cant hear me !
    ROM : MIUI 1.3.25
    try this version
    version 1.0.27 alpha:
    - changed color of notification icon during call
    - added possibility to select multiple files

also, you can buy this app at the Market for $9.95 to promote my work
    CallRecorder

Hi
    I've made a simple app that allows to record outgoings/incomings calls. All recorded calls will be saved in /sdcard/voix.
    Now the program should record calls without having to run the program, root-access is now requested at the start of service, rather than activity, as it was before, try