TUTORIAL - Connect a new Galaxy Gear to any phone! (no galaxy phone, no gear manager)

Search This thread

bdovpro

Jul 17, 2008
Here is a tutorial for those of us who don't have a Galaxy Phone (or dont want the galaxy gear app) but want the watch!

UPDATE: as of 24th Nov. the method has changed.
Before you had to remove the SecSetupWizardW.apk through TWRP recovery's file manager after flashing Null_10 rom through odin.

Now all you need to do is:

note: if the watch is brand new you need to flash the V7 firmware update before flashing Null_TWRP, otherwise Null_TWRP gets messed up.

FOR NEW DEVICES:
  • go here and download the V7 firmware update for your region. (US can use the UK region) and here to download Odin. (the link is in the "Instructions" section. This also shows you how to enter Download Mode which you will do shortly)
  • once the update is done downloading unzip it. This will give you the .tar file we need to flash through Odin.
  • boot your watch in to Download Mode and connect to it to your computer.
  • open Odin and select "AP" on the right and pick the .tar file you just extracted. UNCHECK "auto-reboot" on the left because we are going to go right back into Download Mode to install Null_TWRP.
  • hit start.
  • when its done flashing you will see the top left box will say "RESET" wait until it reboots fully.
  • unplug your watch and reboot back into Download Mode and continue with the tutorial below.

FOR DEVICES WITH FIRMWARE "V700XXUAMK7" AND ABOVE:

• if you don't have ADB and Fastboot already setup then install this Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
  • Flash Null_TWRP to your watch using odin. Instructions/Downlaods are on the Null_TWRP forum.
  • Download the new Null_11 rom(or any new rom from here on out), this will now give you a zip file (not an md5 like before so no odin!)
  • Open the Null_11.zip (!you don't need to extract the file, just open it! I use winrar for this personally)
  • go to "system -> app" find SecSetupWizardW.apk and delete it from the zip. (using winrar: right click -> Delete Files)
  • close the zip and move it to your ADB/Fastboot folder (for Minimal ADB and Fastboot its located at "C:/adb-fastboot")
  • boot your watch into recovery (instructions are same as Download Mode just select Recovery this time in the menu) and connect your watch to your computer.
  • open ADB and Fastboot and make sure your device is connected by typing "adb devices" it should say its in recovery.
  • now push the zip to your watch by typing "adb push null_rom_name_here.zip /sdcard/" wait for it to finish transferring.
  • on your watch click "install" and select the zip file from the list. then flash it.
  • finally go back to the recovery main menu and do a Wipe then reboot your watch. you should now be on the custom rom without having to pair to a phone!

after you boot into your new rom go to android settings (blue/grey icon) and enable bluetooth. Find your Phone and pair it.

(man it really doesn't seem like much until you have to type it out step by step lol)

and there you go. from stock out of the box to custom rooted rom and paired without ever coming into contact with a galaxy phone or a gear manager.
phone calls work, texting can be handled by tablet talk (personally i like it better then stock anyway), someone mentioned on the forum that tablet notifier works great for other notifications,
and once you install a keyboard you can hook up your watch to your google account and have email, play store, google search, etc working great!

note: you must connect your watch to bluetooth internet through phone to setup a google account.

Hope this helps somebody, let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a list of some apps to give you the functionality lost by not installing gear manager:

1) tablet talk for text, Tablet Notifier for everything else. (tablet notifier was mentioned on the forums, I have not personally tested it) tab let notifier has been reported to cause problems. ill look for a better notification sync later.
2)any bluetooth file transfer app for transferring photos. example: es file explorer.
3)Media Remote for music control.

Last edited:

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
It does indeed work! It's how I originally rooted it! (different process, same result) I don't own that S3 my signature says I have anymore. Instead, I have an iPhone! :p

Im so glad u responded. When i use odin... and search for the null_rom file... it doesnt show me the zip..... am i doing something wrong. I used the download hyperlinks u posted... and it doesnt find the rom at all. I can see the null_twrp.tar file... nothing else.... help!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium HD app

bdovpro

Jul 17, 2008
My point exactly.... and i went ahead and installed the twrp.tar. and it is just all smushed at the top.. and i cant read nor touch anything....

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium HD app

I'm sorry for the confusion. The method has changed since f0mey switched the rom from .md5 file (odin) to a .zip (null_twrp recovery).

I updated the method up top but the short version is: install Null_TWRP recovery. download null_11.1.zip. open null_11.1.zip and remove SecSetupWizardW.apk (system/app folder). copy zip to your watch. flash zip from TWRP recovery.

The new method is much easier to work with so now when a new rom comes out you just open the zip, remove SecSetupWizardW.apk and flash it, much nicer.

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I'm sorry for the confusion. The method has changed since f0mey switched the rom from .md5 file (odin) to a .zip (null_twrp recovery).

I updated the method up top but the short version is: install Null_TWRP recovery. download null_11.1.zip. open null_11.1.zip and remove SecSetupWizardW.apk (system/app folder). copy zip to your watch. flash zip from TWRP recovery.

The new method is much easier to work with so now when a new rom comes out you just open the zip, remove SecSetupWizardW.apk and flash it, much nicer.

So i tried that and im still getting this for the recovery... any clue on why

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385279210949.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385279210949.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,503

MCube74

May 8, 2013

So we unzip the null_11.1.zip file and delete SecSetupWizardW.apk and then zip it back up?

And then update through TWRP?

MCube74

May 8, 2013
No just open it and remove the file. No need to extract and re-zip.

I a going to help my friend who will get the Gear today and he has a Nexus 5.

I am sure out of hue box the Gear will have the old firmware.

So what I need to do is update to the UK mK7 firmware first and then install the TWRP recovery and then install the null rom through recovery.

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I a going to help my friend who will get the Gear today and he has a Nexus 5.

I am sure out of hue box the Gear will have the old firmware.

So what I need to do is update to the UK mK7 firmware first and then install the TWRP recovery and then install the null rom through recovery.

So.... is there no fix for the squished twrp that i posted?

bdovpro

Jul 17, 2008
So i tried that and im still getting this for the recovery... any clue on why

Ok. It looks like you need to flash your watch to the latest V7 firmware located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2463743 otherwise recovery gets a little weird. No idea why.

Flashing the old null_10 ROM through Odin upgraded my firmware so I didn't notice any issue when I installed twrp.

Reactions: stafly17

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx

bdovpro

Jul 17, 2008
So as i jyst flashing the tar file in odin... or... idk

man everything keeps changing so fast! alright I've updated the front again with instructions for flashing to the new firmware/flashing twrp/editing the null rom/moving the rom to your watch/and flashing it through TWRP.

MCube74

May 8, 2013
I successfully flashed the null_11.1.zip rom.

Now I can connect to my Nexus 5. I can receive and make calls.

Now how about the rest?

1) receive notifications
2) How to transfer photos to the Nexus 5 like how it is done with Galaxy Gear?
3) how to control Media (Music files)?

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
man everything keeps changing so fast! alright I've updated the front again with instructions for flashing to the new firmware/flashing twrp/editing the null rom/moving the rom to your watch/and flashing it through TWRP.

So ive tried everything... the new method. Every port on my computer, and it still just gives me the squished twrp..... about ready to give up.

bdovpro

Jul 17, 2008

Now how about the rest?

1) receive notifications

1) tablet talk for text, Tablet Notifier for everything else. (tablet notifier was mentioned on the forums, I have not personally tested it)
2)any bluetooth file transfer app. like es file explorer.
3)Media Remote

as for the small TWRP icons ive posted everything I can think of to fix that so If your still having issues explore the null_twrp forum and ask them. really not sure why its still causing the issue if you have flashed the new firmware. ill upload null_10.1.md5 later tonight and you can try flashing that instead of the new v7 firmware.

stafly17

Sep 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
1) tablet talk for text, Tablet Notifier for everything else. (tablet notifier was mentioned on the forums, I have not personally tested it)
3)Media Remote

as for the small TWRP icons ive posted everything I can think of to fix that so If your still having issues explore the null_twrp forum and ask them. really not sure why its still causing the issue if you have flashed the new firmware. ill upload null_10.1.md5 later tonight and you can try flashing that instead of the new v7 firmware.

Awesome thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a tutorial for those of us who don't have a Galaxy Phone (or dont want the galaxy gear app) but want the watch!

UPDATE: as of 24th Nov. the method has changed.
    Before you had to remove the SecSetupWizardW.apk through TWRP recovery's file manager after flashing Null_10 rom through odin.

Now all you need to do is:

note: if the watch is brand new you need to flash the V7 firmware update before flashing Null_TWRP, otherwise Null_TWRP gets messed up.

FOR NEW DEVICES:
    • go here and download the V7 firmware update for your region. (US can use the UK region) and here to download Odin. (the link is in the "Instructions" section. This also shows you how to enter Download Mode which you will do shortly)
    • once the update is done downloading unzip it. This will give you the .tar file we need to flash through Odin.
    • boot your watch in to Download Mode and connect to it to your computer.
    • open Odin and select "AP" on the right and pick the .tar file you just extracted. UNCHECK "auto-reboot" on the left because we are going to go right back into Download Mode to install Null_TWRP.
    • hit start.
    • when its done flashing you will see the top left box will say "RESET" wait until it reboots fully.
    • unplug your watch and reboot back into Download Mode and continue with the tutorial below.

FOR DEVICES WITH FIRMWARE "V700XXUAMK7" AND ABOVE:

• if you don't have ADB and Fastboot already setup then install this Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
    • Flash Null_TWRP to your watch using odin. Instructions/Downlaods are on the Null_TWRP forum.
    • Download the new Null_11 rom(or any new rom from here on out), this will now give you a zip file (not an md5 like before so no odin!)
    • Open the Null_11.zip (!you don't need to extract the file, just open it! I use winrar for this personally)
    • go to "system -> app" find SecSetupWizardW.apk and delete it from the zip. (using winrar: right click -> Delete Files)
    • close the zip and move it to your ADB/Fastboot folder (for Minimal ADB and Fastboot its located at "C:/adb-fastboot")
    • boot your watch into recovery (instructions are same as Download Mode just select Recovery this time in the menu) and connect your watch to your computer.
    • open ADB and Fastboot and make sure your device is connected by typing "adb devices" it should say its in recovery.
    • now push the zip to your watch by typing "adb push null_rom_name_here.zip /sdcard/" wait for it to finish transferring.
    • on your watch click "install" and select the zip file from the list. then flash it.
    • finally go back to the recovery main menu and do a Wipe then reboot your watch. you should now be on the custom rom without having to pair to a phone!

after you boot into your new rom go to android settings (blue/grey icon) and enable bluetooth. Find your Phone and pair it.

(man it really doesn't seem like much until you have to type it out step by step lol)

and there you go. from stock out of the box to custom rooted rom and paired without ever coming into contact with a galaxy phone or a gear manager.
    phone calls work, texting can be handled by tablet talk (personally i like it better then stock anyway), someone mentioned on the forum that tablet notifier works great for other notifications,
    and once you install a keyboard you can hook up your watch to your google account and have email, play store, google search, etc working great!

note: you must connect your watch to bluetooth internet through phone to setup a google account.

Hope this helps somebody, let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a list of some apps to give you the functionality lost by not installing gear manager:

1) tablet talk for text, Tablet Notifier for everything else. (tablet notifier was mentioned on the forums, I have not personally tested it) tab let notifier has been reported to cause problems. ill look for a better notification sync later.
    2)any bluetooth file transfer app for transferring photos. example: es file explorer.
    3)Media Remote for music control.
    Hi!
    I'm a bit confused: I can't seem to getadb working. It does not list my device when I try 'adb devices'.
    I did everything from the start to:

but there is nothing listed :(
    Any help would be really appreciated !!!
    Thanks!

I found adb will recognize the samsung gear and you can export the .zip files to the sdcard in user mode. I found if you boot the galaxy gear to Download or Recovery adb cannot recognize it.

Also you might google "null_10.1.tar.md5". You can push it to your gear with Odin. Worked fine for me. Run Impactor.exe before flashing null_10.1.tar.md5

Hope this helps you

Now how about the rest?

1) receive notifications

3)Media Remote

I'll write a proper how to when I'm off work but for now:
    For all you guys who can't adb push the null zip,
    Flash the null_10.1rom I uploaded in an earlier post
    Flash twrp
    Boot to recovery
    Go to mount - check system
    Go back to main twrp menu
    Go to advanced - file manager - system - app and remove SecSetupWizardW.apk
    Reboot system and you will be in 10.1 null. Then u can toggle usb debug and install drivers. You can move the 12 zip over as well and flash through twrp.
    I am confused. How to install the Null rom before installing the TWRP?