FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What, If Any Other Tutorials Would You Like Me To Make?

Tutorial on setting up and using ADB

376 Vote(s)
53.26%
Creating flashable .zips to be used in recovery

395 Vote(s)
55.95%
Whatever I want!

163 Vote(s)
23.09%
Nothing! I make terrible useless guides!

22 Vote(s)
3.12%

[Guide] How To Setup And Use Fastboot

6,858 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,762

By demkantor, Recognized Contributor on 13th May 2013, 06:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th July 2013, 04:19 AM |#21  
Flag Gilmer
Thanks Meter: 852

Donate to Me
More
Edit

15th July 2013, 04:25 AM |#22  
Keep it there, it will make this easier to find for anyone looking, in fact I appreciate you adding it to your sig, I may just have to do the same!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
15th July 2013, 04:34 AM |#23  
Flag Gilmer
Thanks Meter: 852

Donate to Me
More
Sorry for the "ill take it off"

I'm using the xda app and your post saying it was ok wasn't there at the moment I posted that.

Great thread. I've used what I've learned from here to help others on different sites like android central and android forums thanks for permission to share
The Following User Says Thank You to russellvone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift russellvone Ad-Free
8th September 2013, 01:50 AM |#24  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Stuck Loading Screen
Bro, I used this thing and feel powerful, yet it's not helping me with my problem.

When booting, my screen gets stuck on the Google logo. I've flashed several times...along with several formats...

What am I doing wrong?
8th September 2013, 03:05 AM |#25  
Quote:
Originally Posted by absp2006

Bro, I used this thing and feel powerful, yet it's not helping me with my problem.

When booting, my screen gets stuck on the Google logo. I've flashed several times...along with several formats...

What am I doing wrong?

To start give me the info about your phone and what you've tried and what happened when you did it. I'll help as vest I can

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
8th September 2013, 03:35 AM |#26  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wink Dude... I fixed it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

To start give me the info about your phone and what you've tried and what happened when you did it. I'll help as vest I can

I fixed it, but you were there to help. For that, you get my thanks...
8th September 2013, 11:42 PM |#27  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 10

More
This info has been super helpful as I went down the rabbit hole of screwing with my Nexus 7.... but I'm getting the following error when I go to install a ROM (via this command
Code:
 fastboot update filename.zip
I get this error
Code:
archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt
is this a fault in the ROM? Will try another ROM, but could not find any relevant info on what this error code might mean.

Thanks!

edit:
Tried other ROMs, including stock from developers.android.com, and get the same results.
Thought it might be a driver issue - I removed the driver associated with my Nexus 7, and added one from here.
Rebooted system and tablet, same issue.
In addition, if I run
Code:
fastboot devices
i will see my serial #; however, running
Code:
adb devices
returns no value.... so I'm at a loss. Will try again tomorrow from my PC at work, perhaps it's just a driver issue on this machine.

If there are any other suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them!
9th September 2013, 04:24 AM |#28  
Crap, it looks like I may have the command in there wrong, I'll double check when I get home but it should read
fastboot flash zip superawesomerom.zip
An update flash needs to be a specific update for your phone, which any custom ROM isnt (but you can change certain things to make it work this way)
So yeah try the above and it should work fine. Also I think your drivers are fine, if fastboot devices returns your serial number all is good. Remember adb will only work in recovery and os, not in bootloader mode
Let me know if this works

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
9th September 2013, 03:18 PM |#29  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

Crap, it looks like I may have the command in there wrong, I'll double check when I get home but it should read
fastboot flash zip superawesomerom.zip
An update flash needs to be a specific update for your phone, which any custom ROM isnt (but you can change certain things to make it work this way)
So yeah try the above and it should work fine. Also I think your drivers are fine, if fastboot devices returns your serial number all is good. Remember adb will only work in recovery and os, not in bootloader mode
Let me know if this works

Thanks for tthis - but now I get
Code:
 writing  'zip'...
FAILED (remote: invalid partition name)
I assume I need to specify the partition I want to write to in my fastboot command...but don't want to guess (or guess wrong, for fear of actually bricking the thing) - can you enlighten me?

To be absolutely clear - I'm on a 2012 Nexus 7 (wi-fi only). I'm trying to flash 4.3 JWR66Y found here.

Cheers!
9th September 2013, 03:43 PM |#30  
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapperypete

Thanks for tthis - but now I get

Code:
 writing  'zip'...
FAILED (remote: invalid partition name)
I assume I need to specify the partition I want to write to in my fastboot command...but don't want to guess (or guess wrong, for fear of actually bricking the thing) - can you enlighten me?

To be absolutely clear - I'm on a 2012 Nexus 7 (wi-fi only). I'm trying to flash 4.3 JWR66Y found here.

Cheers!

ok, i see what youre doing.
so you are using fastboot but you dont need a command, as in you download the .tar, then extract until you are in a folder with the jwr66y.zip and bootloader.img and there should be a couple scripts and a flashall.bat
just have your n7 plugged into pc and in fastboot mode
then click the flashall.bat and it will run just fine.
(its been a while since ive flashed a rom.zip to a device, the other command i gave you will work in ruu mode only i believe)

Let me know if this works for you!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
9th September 2013, 11:54 PM |#31  
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:

ok, i see what youre doing.
so you are using fastboot but you dont need a command, as in you download the .tar, then extract until you are in a folder with the jwr66y.zip and bootloader.img and there should be a couple scripts and a flashall.bat
just have your n7 plugged into pc and in fastboot mode
then click the flashall.bat and it will run just fine.
(its been a while since ive flashed a rom.zip to a device, the other command i gave you will work in ruu mode only i believe)

Let me know if this works for you!

Not to pollute this thread anymore - but this was helpfully resolved by the OP via PM. The issue was with the compatibility of the files I was trying to flash onto my CWM-only (no OS) Nexus 7, coupled with a mis-labelled file on the developers.android site.

All is well, I flashed back to 4.2.2 and can once again do as I please. @demkantor, my thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to slapperypete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slapperypete Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)