LectureNotes app

Search This thread

mmmmario

Oct 23, 2014
Thank you for your reply acadoid. I have reinstalled the full version of LN and observed the same lag (no synchronisation). Would this be the same as installing the trial version?

Airfoil

Nov 10, 2009
I don't know if this is an import issue or export issue (or not an issue at all)... but ... I had an 11mb PDF that I imported, did my lectcturenotes thing to it, and then exported the changes as a PDF to e-mail. I was a bit surprised to see the exported PDF was over 100mb. I've checked both the import and export settings and can't figure out how to get this size down (and I don't want to convert to grayscale).

Any ideas, tip or tricks I can use to get this PDF size down?

Is there a way to just add my markup layers to the original PDF?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Airfoil: When you import a PDF file into LectureNotes, it gets converted to LectureNotes' own format and the structure of the original PDF file is lost. You can (re)export as PDF, but this will not restore the structure of the original PDF file, and the size of the exported PDF file can be larger or smaller than the original PDF.

If the structure of the original PDF file is important to you, you can export only the annotation layer in LectureNotes with transparency (cf. the PDF export setup in the app's export settings) and combine the exported PDF file with the original PDF file using tools such as pdftk.

juanjguevara

Dec 5, 2016
I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab-A with a pen for my wife.
Will the app "LectureNotes " be useful to convert hand written notes into a typed like note. She takes notes at conferences, and then she type those same notes. It would be great to have an automatic recognition and conversion. I saw something like that in a Lenovo Tab some years ago.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@juanjguevara: LectureNotes will not interpret what you write or draw in the foreseeable future. Text recognition is much better done a posteriori and not during writing. There are several cloud services that provide this, for instance Evernote. In case conversion during writing is important for you, note that there are several soft keyboards that provide this functionality, for instance the one that comes with Samsung devices.

hajkan

Jul 3, 2013
@acadoid

Feature requests:

- Select last stroke. This just selects whatever the last full stroke was if possible

-Resize selection to bounding box while the selection is active. SOmetimes when the selection is too big it is hard to align to the borders of the pages.

-Disable pixel filtering with transformations. I use what you call temporary drawing mode because it gives me the most contrast with my lines, but transforming kills sharpness, maybe use another algo to handle transform related filtering?

-Some apps (like LayerPaint) use half page res rendering to speed up the stroke response, it can be helpful lower the stroke latency as much as possible.

-It would be nice if I do not loose the input entry window when the hardware palm rejection is enabled. The feature is disabled so I cant enable it.

-Nicer rotation handling when transform enabled. The rotation of the selection is ok, it is not super useful sometimes because it is hard to control it precisely and it gets snappy around low rotation angles. It would be nice if we could change the pivot and rotate by one degree in a nicer way.

thanks

Last edited:

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@hajkan: Many thanks for your suggestions.

You can enable the `input zone´ and enable `use stylus´ inside the `input zone´ setup.

Clicking on the `rotation´ icon rotates to the next full 90 degrees.

hajkan

Jul 3, 2013
@acadoid

There is an issue with the pdf import, I mean it is an issue for me not sure if it bothers other users. I cant match the size of my pdfs properl when importing a pdf into a new notebook, the sucky thing is that once imported you cant change the size of the notebook.

It would be nice if LectureNotes extracts the size of pdf pages and applies as a template. I realize that this might not be always wanted. It is most likely the case where the user want the new notebook to be the same size of the pdf if it is a new notebook that is being created from a pdf.

Also having actual page templates in the notebook creation page can be helpful, things like A4, Letter etc with different dpi settings for instance.

thanks

hajkan

Jul 3, 2013
@hajkan: PDF files can contain multiple page sizes, in general each page can have its own page size.

LectureNotes gives recommendations when you click at the `?´ aside `paper size´.

Sure but why not just offer a pull down menu with different settings and a way to change the dpi of the notebook? And also there is nothing wrong with offering a way to match certain page number from the pdf file. I use pdfs every day and most of the pdfs are alays single size, it is a rare thing to come up with a multiplle page format pdf,, it happens but it is rare.

Like I said, it is hard to know the pdf's actual pixel size when importing especially on a mobile device where the number of pdf tools and their feature sets are limited.

For instance I was trying to create a new notebook from a weekly calendar template and man it was a struggle. I always had some space here and there. But if LN matched the fiorst page when creating the notebook size, my life would have been much easier at that time.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@hajkan: The page width and height (i.e., page resolution) cannot be changed for an existing notebook.

When you create a new notebook (whether based on a PDF file or not), click on the `?´ aside `paper size´, then LectureNotes gives recommendations based on device resolution and orientation. If you addionally choose `automatic resolution´ for the PDF import, the result of a PDF import will be optimal for your device resolution and orientation (i.e., minimize aliasing effects).

In case of a PDF import, one could add a paper size based on the the majority page aspect ratio of the PDF file to the list of recommendations that LectureNotes gives. Let me think a moment about this.

cuye

Jun 16, 2015
Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread.

Does anyone know if there's a function to get the folder name containing the notebook? something like 'LN.getFolderName()' ?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@cuye: My apologies, I missed your post.

There is no LN.getFolderName(), I am sorry. It is an interesting idea, though. One could add a LN.getPath() which gives the full path, including the folder name.

---

The latest version v2.8.2 of LectureNotes has an LN.getPath() function.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @DiJu519 and all others that have requested PDF import: I just uploaded v1.15 into Google Play which allows for PDF import via a helper app, PDFView, which you need to install aside of LectureNotes and which LectureNotes uses for PDF rendering.

PDFView is based on the excellent MuPDF library. It is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. At the moment, the app is only used by LectureNotes for PDF rendering, but all other Android developers are invited to include an interface to PDFView into their apps and use PDFView for PDF rendering. Details of the interface can be found in the source of PDFView available at http://www.acadoid.com/src/pdfview.tgz.
    @DiJu519: The app allows to import all pages of a PDF file at once. To do that, open your notebook in notebook overview (either by long-clicking on the notebook on the notebooks board and choosing `Notebook overview´ in the upcoming popup, or by open the notebook normally and choosing `Notebook overview´ in the main menu) and choose `Import PDF as new pages´ in the main menu. You can adjust resolution and margins in the app's input settings.

In notebook overview, you can also export a subset of pages to PDF by tagging them (click on the tag to activate tag mode and of the page(s)) and choose `Export tagged pages to PDF´.
    I'm curious about peoples' opinions of the app "LectureNotes" by Acadoid Developer and how it stacks up against the other main players in the active digitizer game. I've only been using my TPT for a few days' worth of note taking and haven't settled on a specific app yet, so I would like to hear thoughts on how you chose your primary note taking app.
    @stbxxl: Glad to hear that you like the new text drawing tool adjustments. I hope to provide a better support of typed text soon.

Concerning filtering: Since the very first versions, the app applies a running cubic interpolation on the input coordinates to get a smooth curve. This works fine if the coordinates do not display any noise, but can yield somewhat `strange´ results in the presence of noise, as both the curve as well as its derivative are enforced to fit at the input coordinates. The filtering applies the Ramer–Douglas–Peucker algorithm to reduce the number of points, which is a standard approach, the filter strength in the app's settings controls the threshold. Then, when the running cubic interpolation is applied, the resulting curve is smoother.
    @stbxxl: A zoomed input area floating over the notebook (which would avoid zooming in and out) is the second of the two bigger projects on my agenda.