[UPDATED-06-APR-2011] New XAP installer, in-place app update, no dev tool and more...

Search This thread

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
There are a number of XAP installers... is there a particular reason you care about this one specifically? These days, you don't even need a PC app for XAP deployment if you phone can be interop-unlocked, except to deploy WP7 Root Tools and XapHandler.

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
I'm looking to get either the HTC Titan OR Samsung Focus S from the windows phone challenge event. I just want to be able to sideload apps and possibly install custom ROMS. I've come from webos/android so this is all new to me.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Neither of those phones currently have unlocked bootloaders, so no custom ROMs yet. It's being worked on.

The Focus S can use the WindowBreak project to enable sideloading and interop-unlock, which is enough to have almost completely unlimited access (stuff which is locked in ROM would require an unlocked bootloader to change).

However, it's worth noting that dev-unlock (for sideloading) is an official feature of the OS. The hacks sometimes make it easier, but they aren't strictly required (although you're limited in the number of apps you can sideload unless you use a hack). The official WP7 SDK, which is a free download from Microsoft, includes a XAP deployment tool.

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
Ok so I already downloaded the WP7 SDK in preparation for my phone, and I hopefully will get the Focus S. So I can sideload apps when it's interop unlocked with WindowsBreak? sorry about all the questions and thanks for the help me :)

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Yes. WindowBreak combined Dev-unlock (needed for sideloading XAPs) with Interop-unlock (unlimited XAPs and ability to install XAPs that access high-privilege system components).

hunkyn

Feb 10, 2007
Guys how do we unlock lumia 900. Does this app on this? I am coming from android and i am used to loading custom roms and i would like to do the same thing on my lumia 900. any direction or help is greatly appreciated

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Custom ROMs for a phone that literally just came out? Even on Android it takes longer than that...

The Lumias currently have no bootloader unlock available, so we can't use custom ROMs on them yet. There are people working on it, though.

As for side-loading applications (this download being a PC app to help you do that), it's possible on the Lumias but currently you need to get an AppHub account from Microsoft. There used to be other methods, but Microsoft has shut them down. People are also working on finding new ways to do this unlock (called dev-unlock).

hunkyn

Feb 10, 2007
Custom ROMs for a phone that literally just came out? Even on Android it takes longer than that...

The Lumias currently have no bootloader unlock available, so we can't use custom ROMs on them yet. There are people working on it, though.

As for side-loading applications (this download being a PC app to help you do that), it's possible on the Lumias but currently you need to get an AppHub account from Microsoft. There used to be other methods, but Microsoft has shut them down. People are also working on finding new ways to do this unlock (called dev-unlock).

Thank you i thought that might be the case but i will starting looking at the forums and see if anything pops thanks for all the help.

neelgangrade

May 8, 2011
cant install more than 3 apps

i am not able to install more than 3 apps in my developer unlocked nokia lumia 800 ....can any body plz help with that , i want to install unlimited xap files ! please help :(:rolleyes:

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
yeah thats because you only have a developer unlock which allows only 3 apps. have a decent read-up on the different unlock types and what you can have with your Nokia Lumia. I am not following the Lumia development as i have decided i am not interested in that phone but i gathered that it has not yet been fully unlocked. You can do only limited things with it.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Did you install Tango on your phone?
Did you fail to read the information about Tango before installing it?
Did you not have a legitimate dev-unlock, or perhaps you exceeded the normal max unsigned app limit?

Alternatively, what's the error that you get?

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Downloaded temp files go under \Application Data\Volatile\, but I don't know if this info will be useful to you. If you have absolutely no ability to deploy an app from the PC, and you're using a stock ROM, then you can't get homebrew apps on the phone - it's as simple as that, so far as I know. That said, it really shouldn't be that hard to find some PC somewhere that you can install the XAP deployment tools on, and once you do that (assuming your phone is compatible with WP7 Root Tools), you're good to go.

FTP4

Apr 12, 2011
Deployment FAILED with the following ERROR: Failed to connect to the device. Ensure that the device is completely booted and is connected to the PC.
why there is no sollution for this ? WHY ?

minep

Mar 6, 2011
Deployment FAILED with the following ERROR: Failed to connect to the device. Ensure that the device is completely booted and is connected to the PC.
why there is no sollution for this ? WHY ?

Me too. Any ideas?

EDIT:
hard reset fixed.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please download XAPDeployX-V0.9.zip, it is the latest and greatest version

If you have any of the 0x89xxxx errors, please download the attached "vs_sdeprolightup-enu.zip" file and run it.

Hi,

attached you'll find a new XAP installer which has quite a few unique selling points.

- In-place update on the phone: In-place update on the phone, e.g. if you already have Version 1.0.0.0 of an app installed on the phone and install 1.0.2.0 an in-place update will performed. No more full "uninstall-new install" cycle required. Your settings, custom files etc. won't be removed (same as marketplace update)

- CoreCon2 based, e.g. Phone Dev Tools are no longer required for application deployment!

- Deploy from file or URL: You can either specify a file or an URL. If you enter an URL the installer will automatically download the xap.

- Own protocol "wphome": Zune's one-click download for homebrew apps. Automatically install homebrew XAPs with a click on a hyperlink. If you want, you can register the application for the wphome protocol. The application will then be allowed to handle urls like wphome:www.test.com/test.xap and will automatically start as soon as you click on such a link.

img1ln.png

To be able to use "wphome" hyperlinks, you have to click on "Register protocol..." once.

wphome Testlink: wphome:http://www.nextbestgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/helloworld.xap (for testing after you've installed the tool and registered it for the protocol)

img2a.png

After you've opened a XAP file, details will be shown in the top bar.

This is the first step in my plan to provide a homebrew marketplace.

Updated V0.6 - 1-APR-2011

+ Full Log
    + Multiple tweaks, bugfixes

img3f.png

Updated V0.7 - 2-APR-2011

+ CoreCon2 based, e.g. Phone Dev Tools are no longer required for application deployment! [*]
    + Drag'n'Drop support. Just drag and drop any xap from explorer to the tool.

[*] You need a working CoreCon2 installation. If CoreCon2 is not installed on your pc (normally only installed with the Phone Dev Tool) the tool will detect it and download a small installer.

Updated V0.8 - 2-APR-2011

+ Fixed "No addional data: Could not extract XAP file" Bug
    + XAP-Information is show much faster now
    + CoreCon2 Installer now online. You won't need the full Phone Dev Tools for this XAP Deployer

img4t.png

Updated V0.9 - 6-APR-2011

+ Selected Target will now be automatically saved
    + Deploy-Menu for XAP files. Registers a file handler for *.xap and provides a "Deploy" menu entry in file's context menu.

img5.png

General Prerequisits
    - Phone has to be unlocked (either dev, chevron or any other method)
    - Zune has to be running and has to be connected to the phone
    - Windows Vista or Windows 7, according to users: Windows XP

Regards,
    -k
    Error: Cannot open file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v7.0\Emulation\Images\WM701C.en-US.bin'
    Oh, I was just to lazy to do any fixes for the emulator. Primary target was device deployment. To fix that one you have to modifiy %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Phone Tools\CoreCon\10.0\addons\ImageConfig.en-US.xsl. Search for WM701C.en-US.bin in there, and replace it with the correct path.

No problem to give you the source. I have written the smallest possible abstraction around the CoreConServer Interface using the primary interop provided by Microsoft. I will provide this part of the source asap. The code is obfuscated as there is a lot more included than currently visible from the front-end.
    You need to add a reference to Microsoft.VisualStudio.DeviceConnectivity.Interop.10.0.dll and embed interop types (that's why my tool uses .net 4 :rolleyes:)

-k
    @JamesAllen: You might ask the guy from post #36 (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12635636&postcount=36). I did try the tool with WindowsXP but didn't get it working. The guy from that posts somehow did.

@phsa: No idea if there is something special about the HD2. The vs_sdeprokughtup-enu.zip actually is the phone dev tools (or, to get it correct, it is the part of the dev tools which allows the connection to the phone).
    It is important to install 1.) CoreCon2 and 2.) vs-sde.... otherwise some interfaces might get changed.

-k
    Don't think I can help here. Actually I don't even suffer from this problem as I've just successfully uploaded a 85MB xap to my Nodo Samsung Omnia 7.

If you look at the last Developer Tools Fix from Microsoft, which extended the XAP size from 65MB to 225MB you'll see that they've patched TcpConnectionC.dll on the pc. Someone with read/write access to their HTC should try to replace the on-device files with the corresponding local files found in %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Common Files\microsoft shared\CoreCon\1.0\Target\wce400. Don't know if that might work.

regards,
    -k
    wAppStore 0.9.7. install, store, search XAP (7.0-7.5)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1245206

Please "heroic testers" reveal me results and experience with the application here or to wincotv@gmail.com to improve our applications.
    Thanks.