Browser

Search This thread

unibeam

Apr 30, 2011
I've tried all the major browsers. I've had the force close and had browsers crash and actually had the device completely reboot a couple of times. I'm doing a factory reset, right now. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the form fact and look of this tablet. Movies play great on it and I onlive gaming client plays great on it. If I get the browsing from lagging so badly and causing crashes. It's a definite keeper.

It just restarted after the factory reset, so I'll report back after I give it a run through!

I am in the same boat as Ahmazin. I've tried Chrome, Opera, stock browser and mostly use Dolphin HD. In general, they are laggy and as I read in a review(either Verge or Engadget) that the same problem exists where it likes to stop loading around 80%. I think this is more of problem than just an occasional lemon. In the same reviews, I also read to click Wait instead of force closing and that appears to be correct so far. Though I've had each browser unexpectedly quit out to the home screen. Also, not a great experience when trying to make a Flash video go full screen. Dolphin handles it ok as long as you give it a few seconds but disappointed it does not work with the HDMI.

Everything else runs smooth. Transitions, loading apps like Pulse or Youtube. I can't really complain about anything else except the browsing experience.

ualdriver

Nov 15, 2009
System reset

I did a complete system reset this morning, with the intention of giving up on Asus tablets if it didn't work. Well, I went through settings, did the reset, and it *appears* to be working much better. There is still some lag where the tablet sort of "locks up" for a couple of seconds when it is loading a complex web page or multiple tabs, but it is much better than it was before. I have yet to see that little dialog box pop up that asks you to wait or cancel, and I used to get that all the time.

I hope the posts above about our TF300 not using all the processing power available to it while browsing is untrue. I am still kind of disappointed with the browsing performance as even after the reset it isn't much faster (if at all) than the Xoom I gave up.

JamesRC

Dec 22, 2009
SO unimpressed with the browser, and it's the main use of the device for me. So damn laggy and unresponsive - Chrome and stock browser.

gaboury83

Aug 9, 2011
I just downloaded overskreen browser. Costs a $1.99 but so far the smoothest browsing experience by far. I'm nit sure if its simply Google chrome but it flies. Love the overskreen windows as well.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: react9

react9

Nov 2, 2008
Toronto
I just downloaded overskreen browser. Costs a $1.99 but so far the smoothest browsing experience by far. I'm nit sure if its simply Google chrome but it flies. Love the overskreen windows as well.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I just tried overskreen and it seems the smoothest one so far! Its too bad chrome isn't smoother, but I guess this will do for now.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Jarm3r

May 12, 2012
I'm having the same horrible browser performance, on both stock and chrome. To the point of me considering returning the damn thing. What good is a tablet that can't browse the web? If I go to any site that's not as basic as possible, the entire browser locks up, is unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then does the "not responding" error message. Other times it just quits by itself for no reason.

Going to give Opera a try I suppose.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda premium

react9

Nov 2, 2008
Toronto
I'm having the same horrible browser performance, on both stock and chrome. To the point of me considering returning the damn thing. What good is a tablet that can't browse the web? If I go to any site that's not as basic as possible, the entire browser locks up, is unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then does the "not responding" error message. Other times it just quits by itself for no reason.

Going to give Opera a try I suppose.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda premium

I am curious, I haven't really noticed a big slow down when browsing. Its no ipad2 smooth, but it is still usable. Can you give me a site that is "heavy" to try out?

What I have noticed is, when you try to load a site I see the bar loading and gets close 80% or so, it stalls for a few seconds and then page becomes active. If you try to do things at this stage, thats when I noticed the FC/WAIT screen. And usually I just hit "wait" and it comes back within a second working normally.

I bet it is caching or writing something to the disk at this point and thats causing the general slow down.. (probably) since writing to disk seems to be not the greatest on this tablet in general.

Jarm3r

May 12, 2012
Okay, here is a good example.

Using stock browser, go to http://www.ign.com/events/e3 --- I was trying to check on some e3 news earlier today and just flat out gave up.

On my tablet, it takes the input for the address, sits at a white screen for about 3 seconds with no progress, starts to load the page, like I see the basics of the page elements, and then it locks up for about 10 seconds and if I try to do anything, it does the "not responding, either wait or force close" error. On this page in particular, it did that error twice. Once while loading, then again once it had loaded and I tried to navigate down the page.

Now I know that this particular site is very heavy, IGN is notorious for that, but it's a good example of a problem. Basically the tablet is useless to go to that site with the stock browser. With a quad core processor that should NOT be the case. My dual core galaxy nexus has no problems whatsoever loading and navigating that site with the stock ICS browser.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
I don't understand why people keep using the stock browser, bottom line it sucks. Get another one, Dolphin, Opera, ICS+. I just loaded the IGN page in 10 seconds on a 3mb connection while watching netflix on my PS3 with no holdups with ICS+ and yes it is on desktop mode. Oh yeah and I'm underclocked at 880mhz, this is a software problem not a hardware one.

Last edited:

linye

Jun 17, 2011
Stock browser performs fine here. It loaded that ign website fine. Slow due to connection but fine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
I don't understand why people keep using the stock browser, bottom line it sucks. Get another one, Dolphin, Opera, ICS+. I just loaded the IGN page in 10 seconds on a 3mb connection while watching netflix on my PS3 with no holdups with ICS+ and yes it is on desktop mode. Oh yeah and I'm underclocked at 880mhz, this is a software problem not a hardware one.

Stock browser aint that bad but it does get them force close messages quite often. I find ign is one of the worst sites and slowest. It loads fast on desktops which is unfortunate as i would like that speed on a tablet. It lags as well sometimes. The desktop version of eurogamer has similar problems. Disabling javascript helps with the sites though.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA

nullzorz

Aug 13, 2010
Chrome is still very beta, nowhere near ready for android. Even having it installed (with or without using it), will slow down your tablet.

I've been using Dolphin HD, which still has issues, but seems stable enough for daily use.

From my reading, it seems Opera may be the most stable on android. I'm going to try it for a week.

Mark923

Jun 6, 2012
Chrome bookmarks

I too am disappointed in how stupidly slow browsing is. I had the stock browser and just installed Chrome so now I have it on all my devices which is brilliant.

But, I'm not seeing the row of my bookmark tabs. Where can I have that synced/imported?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Opera mobile runs flawless for me. My prime performance is great. no lag at all. UI super fluid & browser scrolling super fluid. I can't speak for some but me along with others have primes that work great.

Browser issues and other things are very well documented across majority of different devices on ICS. so not an Asus specific issue.

don't believe the hype. lol
    i'm using chrome and dolphin HD and it seems to be working fine. why would you all use stock browser anyways?
    From what i've read, the browser is handled using the Tegra 3's "companion core."
    Because it's clocked at such a slow speed, it has some lag.
    Totally disappointing experience. Browsing is a nightmare on my tf300t device. it's slightly better than tegra 2 devices (acer a500 and asus tf100), however still not ready for prime time.
    I and many others have same problem on prime (tf201)

and the whole tab isjust freaking slow.

I believe it's definitely asus crapware and maybe bad tegra3 optimization from asus.

as far as I know, htc one x (also tegra3) runs browsers just fine.

hell, my amaze 4g (dualcore s3 snapdragon) is just flying on ICS... while prime is dragging its tail

I'm freaking disappointed with asus... I really thought this will be my mobile workhores... but ist a piece of crap