[GUIDE] Nook Color Installation Guide for CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 on SD

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Now that CM10 (JellyBean) is in Alpha release (and now Beta and nightlies) for the Nook Color (see post here), I was requested to issue some up-to-date installation instructions to put it on SD.

These instructions are based on using Verygreen's original size-agnostic SD image and installer which is explained here. I have modified his image so that it works for both CM9 (ics) and CM10 (jb) and attached it below (generic-sdcard... etc). It also is still valid for CM7.

The CM10.1, CM10.2 and CM11 are official and on the CM site, get latest nightly here (you can get the CM7 ROMs at that site too). You can get the gapps zips here. CM10 needs gapps-jb-20121011 and CM10.1 needs gapps-jb-20130812 and CM10.2 needs gapps-jb-20130813 and CM11 needs gapps-kk and CM7 needs a gapps-gb version.

Installing a ROM the first time

Download the ROM, gapp and image files and temporarily store them on your PC. Unzip the image zip (generic-sdcard... attached below) and you should end up with a 300MB .img file that will be used to make the SD. Leave the other two files zipped.

EDIT: (2/18/15) - If you want to install the newer versions of CM11 with a newly burned SD you must start with the Snapshot version M11. There is something in the newer CM11 zips that causes the installation to not work. Once you have M11 working you can upgrade to the newer versions. See bowguy's post in this thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56782698.

EDIT: (6/8/14) - Updated image to rev8c to fix a minor script error that prevented installation of CM11 post 5/15 and removed a couple of gapp apps that interfered with installing kitkat gapps. This version may be used on all versions of CM. If you already made a prior rev8 SD, just use the uRecRam rev8c rar to update the SD as described below.

EDIT: (12/10/13) - Updated image to rev8b to create a larger /system to accommodate the larger CM11 and kitkat gapps for 8 and 16GB SDs. If you are installing CM11 to an 8 or 16GB SD, I recommend you start fresh with this version so that a larger /system is created. If you are on a 32GB or larger SD, then the prior rev8a is ok. And CM11 cannot be run on a smaller than 8GB SD.

EDIT: (12/9/13) - Updated the image again to rev8a to fix a permissions issue when installing the KitKat gapps. If you already made a rev8 SD, just use the uRecRam rev8a rar to update the SD as described below.

EDIT: (12/6/13) - I just updated the image file to rev8 to make it compatible with CM11 and to make the boot partition 400MB instead of 300MB to accommodate the larger CM and gapps zips. And this version still works properly on all previous CM versions. But, if installing CM7, it is best to use rev7 or earlier.

EDIT: (8/28/13) - I just updated the image file to rev7 to make it compatible with CM10.2. This version still works properly on all previous CM versions. If you were having trouble with the installer not creating the partitions or installing ROMs because of a poor SD, rev7 also has the revised kernel that is more tolerant of poor SD cards and seems to install smoother than rev5 or earlier versions. Also as of the 4/14/13 version of CM10, this same fix is included in the ROM kernel to help it run better with poor cards. Big thanks to bytte and steven676 for providing this new kernel.

For those users that want to upgrade their existing SD without reburning with the new image, I have also attached an archive of the updated boot file needed to upgrade. Just extract the file (uRecRam) and copy it to your existing SD boot partition, replacing the file that is there. Then you can update your earlier CM10.1 installation with CM10.2. You must update the gapps too. You can also do the same for rev8a, rev8b and rev8c, but the boot partition will remain 300MB unless updating a rev8 SD.

In Windows use Win32diskimager or WinImage to burn the image file to your SD (Sandisk Class 4 is the recommended brand). Win32diskimager is free on the web and WinImage is shareware but can be used free to burn images to SD. Be sure to use an external card reader rather than any built in reader in your PC. The built in reader may work but many have found them to be problematic for burning bootable SDs. And it is best to run the programs in administrator mode. In WinImage use the "Restore Virtual Disk Image to physical drive" rather than "write disk". In Linux or OSX, use the "dd" command to burn the image to SD.

To use Win32DiskImager, find it on the web (here, it's free) and install it on your Windows PC. Open it (be sure to run it as administrator) and select the drive (device) that has your card reader with your SD inserted. Then in the image file box put the location where you have the extracted img file. Then when everything is set right, click on the write button. A warning will pop up asking if you want to proceed. When you have verified that you are going to write to the correct device, click on Yes. (One user overwrote their external USB hard drive by not verifying first). If you get an error message about access denied, it means you are looking at the drive with Windows Explorer. Close Windows Explorer and try again. In fact, it is a good idea to close all unnecessary windows when burning, even your browser.

Once the SD is burned, temporarily remove the SD from the PC and then reinsert in your PC. Then copy the two other zip files (CM ROM zip and gapps zip) to the SD. Make sure the CM zip begins with cm- and the gapps zip begins the gapps- and both end in .zip. (Don't worry that the SD is now smaller than its original size. That is part of the process in making the SD usable as a bootable SD capable of running CM).

Take the SD out of the PC and insert it into your powered off Nook Color. Power on the Nook and the SD will take over. It will show a little penguin and a bunch of scrolling text. It will first partition the SD into those partitions necessary to run a ROM. Then it will install CM followed by installing gapps. It will then power down. Power it back up and it should boot to your new CM. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Google apps.

If you get stuck on any of the steps or you just want more information on installation, you can look at Taosaur's excellent blog on installing CM7 to SD. The principle is the same, just substitute CM9 or CM10 for CM7 in his blog and use the files from above. See his blog here.

Adding some tools

If you want to read some tips about how to make your SD install work a little better, look at my tips thread linked in my signature. In particular look at the tips in section B in my second post of that thread.

I recommend that all users add the Alternate CWM for SD as explained in section B5 of my tips thread referenced above. That allows you to clear the dalvik-cache or fix permissions if you need to after a ROM install. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to make a Nandroid backup of the installation. But heed the warning that you CANNOT flash ROMs to SD with it. You must use the verygreen script installer as explained in the next section. You can get the Alternate CWM for SD here and installation is very simple.

I also recommend that all users install my sdboot script from item B4 of my tips thread so they can use the CMUpdater, GooManager or CyanDelta to update their devices while the SD is still in their Nook as described later.

Updating to a new ROM

If you want to later flash an updated CM ROM or gapps zip, put the updated zip file(s) on the boot partition like you did originally and boot. But you need to be sure they are named properly or the installer script will not recognize them. They need to begin with cm-, update-, diiff_, or gapps and end in .zip. After the first tiny flash of the screen, hold the "n" button. The boot menu will come up and you can select the SD recovery and finish booting. The zip(s) will be automatically installed by the SD recovery (the script installer, a little penguin with scrolling text). Or, if you use sdboot as described later, you can just use the power off menu to select reboot and then choose recovery. It should boot automatically to SD recovery so the script installer can install the file you copied to sdboot.

Ordinarily if you are updating the same ROM (eg, CM10 over a CM10) you do not need to wipe anything. But sometimes if the ROM does not boot properly, you may want to clear dalvik-cache with the Alternate CWM for SD that I talked about earlier. If you are installing a different ROM (eg, CM10 over CM9 or CM7) you should either re-burn the SD or wipe system, data and cache with the Alternate CWM for SD. If you re-burn, the SD will be clean, but you will also lose all files in your SDCARD partition (including any backups that you may have put there).

Using CMUpdater, GooManager, or CyanDelta on SD installs

You can use these tools as long as you have your Nook set up properly. For most SD users there is no easy way to copy a zip from the sdcard partition to the boot partition while the card is still in the Nook. And if you take the card out to put it in your PC, you can access the boot partition but not the sdcard partition where the file is stored. The solution is to go to my tips thread linked in my signature and look at item B4. It tells you how to install a script that mounts the boot partition as 'sdboot' under your root directory. Just use a file manager to copy the file from SDCARD to /sdboot. Then use the power off menu to boot to recovery. The script installer will install it as long as it is named properly as described above.

CM has a new feature (CMUpdater) that makes it easy to download and install updated CM 10 ROMs for those users on emmc. Just go to settings, about tablet, CyanogenMod updates, and follow the prompts. But for SD users you need to be careful, as it may try update your emmc when you are wanting it to update the SD. It will boot to the SD recovery and do nothing, but the next time you manually boot to CWM or TWRP on emmc, it will install it on emmc. You can still use CMUpdater to download the zip, but when it finishes and asks if you want it installed, you have to choose cancel. The ROM zip is downloaded to /sdcard/cmupdater. You need to copy that file to your boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery and the script installer will install it.

With GooManager you download a small zip that only has the changed files in it and you flash that. And that works on SD installs as long as you use the script installer. Just copy the diff_ file to the boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery. With GooManager you can choose which directory you want to download to, so you can tell it to directly download to sdboot. No need to copy later. GooManager does not currently host the CM10 zips. But they do host the Paranoid Android zips.

With CyanDelta, you use an app installed from Play Store. That app reads, modifies and stores your current ROM zip on your SD for future use. Then, when an update is available, it downloads a small (about 5-10MB) delta file from their site and modifies and renames that stored zip so it has the changes in it. So what you flash is your complete previous ROM zip that has the changed files inserted into it, replacing the ones that were changed. You can use that modified ROM zip with the SD install. Just be sure to only download the delta and let the app modify the zip. Do not let it proceed with installation. The newly modified ROM zip will be in /sdcard/CyanDelta (with the new date). Copy that to the boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery. The only issue I see is, as part of their modifying they have obviously reduced the compression level of the zip and the normal 150MB zip becomes 250MB. That means you need that much space on your boot partition. If you used my new image file to make your SD in the first place, it should fit since I increased the boot partition size to 300MB.

-------

For questions or comments on the installation procedure comment on this thread. For comments or questions on the CM9/CM10 ROMs comment in the CM9/CM10 Discussion thread here or the CM10 General Discussion & Q&A thread here.

EDIT 1 and 2 removed

Attachments

• generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5.zip
    8 MB · Views: 65,837
  • generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-larger-Rev6.zip
    8 MB · Views: 16,330
  • generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-10.2-larger-Rev7.zip
    8 MB · Views: 22,464
  • uRecRam-rev7.rar
    5 MB · Views: 4,259
  • generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-10.2-11-largest-Rev8c.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 21,076
  • uRecRam-rev8c.rar
    5 MB · Views: 4,830
Last edited:

Malave

Sep 7, 2011
Thank you for the sdcard workaround. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda app-developers app

Patty Ann

Oct 18, 2012
Jeffersonville
ICS File Question

Hi.
I'm busy downloading the various files to make my SD card and I have a question. Are both ICS and JB gapps zip in one file or are they in different files? I found the gapp file but can't locate the ICS file and where is the image file found? I was able to download and am now using the CM 7. Not sure why I'm having this problem with the CM 10.:confused:

Thank you from a confused grandmother

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hi.
I'm busy downloading the various files to make my SD card and I have a question. Are both ICS and JB gapps zip in one file or are they in different files? I found the gapp file but can't locate the ICS file and where is the image file found? I was able to download and am now using the CM 7. Not sure why I'm having this problem with the CM 10.:confused:

Thank you from a confused grandmother
Both gapp files are located at goo.im. They are separate files, one named gapps-ics-..., and one named gapps-jb-... . And the image file is the one attached to the first post in this thread. It begins with generic-sdcard-... .

Last edited:

tonestertm

Sep 21, 2011
... As a temporary workaround until I can modify the image file to correctly set the vold.fstab, users must manually set it. You must use root explorer or some other root file manager to manually edit the vold.fstab file. With root explorer go to /system/etc and look for that file. Using root explorer edit the file. Look for "sdcard1 auto" (without the quotes) and change to "sdcard1 4". Save the file and reboot. It should then properly see partition 4 on the SD as SDCARD.

This worked fine, thanks.(Didn't solve the rebooting into emmc issue, as I'd hoped it would, however.) I knew something was whacked when my brand new 32GB card was only showing a few hundred MB of /sdcard space, and the /boot files were showing up in the /sdcard folder....

But you might consider including a quick note for those of us morons who didn't think before making the edit, that any data we'd already acquired/downloaded would vanish in the process. Fortunately, it can be found in the /boot folder. Now if only I didn't have to reboot the desktop into Linux just to move it over....

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
This worked fine, thanks.(Didn't solve the rebooting into emmc issue, as I'd hoped it would, however.) I knew something was whacked when my brand new 32GB card was only showing a few hundred MB of /sdcard space, and the /boot files were showing up in the /sdcard folder....

But you might consider including a quick note for those of us morons who didn't think before making the edit, that any data we'd already acquired/downloaded would vanish in the process. Fortunately, it can be found in the /boot folder. Now if only I didn't have to reboot the desktop into Linux just to move it over....

You don't have to boot to Linux to look at the boot partition and sdcard at the same time. There are two ways to do it. First use my modified NookColorUMS app in my tips thread. It lets you mount both partitions using CM9 or CM10 mass storage option on your PC. Or use my sdboot unit.d script also listed in my tips thread. It lets you see the boot partition directly on the Nook.

As far as the rebooting to emmc issue. That has been a problem for a long time with SD installs (especially running CWM from SD and telling it to reboot). To get around it, don't say to reboot. Power off first, then power back on and it will boot to SD.

Last edited:
Reactions: nostrada_

tonestertm

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I've actually been using SDboot since you very first posted it; for some reason I didn't realize that I was actually looking at /boot when exploring to there - just thought it was some sort of shortcut or something. :eek: Another learning experience - Yay! And I'd read about NookColorUMS in your thread a while back but just forgot about it. :( I think I'd better make a regular stop in your tips thread like, once a month, just to keep up and refreshed. Many, many useful things in there.

I wanted to go back and install a full rev 5 image and put CM10 on a different card, plus had some other data from yet another card that I wanted to migrate in, so I just ended up doing all that anyway, before I came back here and saw your suggestions. Thanks, anyway! Hopefully it will help someone else, now or in the future.

Don't want to drift too far, but Cyanoboot is not CWM, correct? I've never seen a reboot from sd to emmc in the last 15 months, except after nasty crashes. This was a first for me. Seems like it might just be a flag issue? I'm pretty sure I remember a setting (and a discussion of what file it was in) where you could actually choose your preferred "reboot to" location, but haven't found it in CM10 yet.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Don't want to drift too far, but Cyanoboot is not CWM, correct? I've never seen a reboot from sd to emmc in the last 15 months, except after nasty crashes. This was a first for me. Seems like it might just be a flag issue? I'm pretty sure I remember a setting (and a discussion of what file it was in) where you could actually choose your preferred "reboot to" location, but haven't found it in CM10 yet.
You are right, Cyanoboot is the bootloader and is different than CWM. Most of the time I have reboot issues to emmc is coming from an SD mounted CWM. For some reason when you tell it to reboot, the device thinks there is no SD installed (you can tell that by Cyanoboot showing E0 in the upper left corner, and when it does boot to the rom on emmc, there is no sdcard mounted.) It looks like for now CM10 has that same issue. You are also right CM7 and CM9 did not have that issue.

That flag you are talking about is in /rom and Cyanoboot looks for it when it loads. Look in the Cyanoboot thread to learn about it. But if the nook thinks there is no SD present, it cannot boot to it.

Reactions: nostrada_

Donn240

Feb 4, 2011
Installation problem

I have downloaded the generic-sd image and written to my 16gig sd card with win32imagewriter. I downloaded CM10 and the jb gapps files. When I try to copy the CM10 zip file to the card I get an error message saying I need 40mb more room.

What am I doing wrong?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have downloaded the generic-sd image and written to my 16gig sd card with win32imagewriter. I downloaded CM10 and the jb gapps files. When I try to copy the CM10 zip file to the card I get an error message saying I need 40mb more room.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you sure you used my rev 5 of the generic SD image? By the symptoms it sounds like you used an older version.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Yes, I used the Rev5 file attached to the bottom of your OP.
You may have had the old version on there before you burned it. You need to take the SD out of the PC once it is burned and reinsert so the PC knows it has the new version on it. I just modified my instructions above to indicate that should be done.

Last edited:

Donn240

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for your help. I deleted all the older files related to this from my PC and downloaded fresh files, re-burned the image, and copied the CM and app files to the SDcard. Everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks for the great work!

You may have had the old version on there before you burned it. You need to take out of the PC and reinsert so the PC knows it has the new version on it.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

now it loads to the setup screen and gives me the message that setup has stopped.
QUOTE=Donn240;33137031]Thanks for your help. I deleted all the older files related to this from my PC and downloaded fresh files, re-burned the image, and copied the CM and app files to the SDcard. Everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks for the great work![/QUOTE]

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
now it loads to the setup screen and gives me the message that setup has stopped.
You mean the Google app setup screen? It boots ok to CM10, just does not complete the setup? Not sure how to help you with that. Did you setup wifi as part of setup, or did you not get that far?

And you used the JB version of gapps? Should start with gapps-jb...

Donn240

Feb 4, 2011
Used jb apps. It loaded CM10, gave a massage that google framework was not found, did not get to wifi setup.

You mean the Google app setup screen? It boots ok to CM10, just does not complete the setup? Not sure how to help you with that. Did you setup wifi as part of setup, or did you not get that far?

And you used the JB version of gapps? Should start with gapps-jb...

Donn240

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for your patience in helping me. After all that, I deleted all the related files from my PC and downloaded fresh image, CM10 and apps files.

I wrote the image to the sdcard and copied the other two over. Lo and behold, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your help.

Used jb apps. It loaded CM10, gave a massage that google framework was not found, did not get to wifi setup.

beckerzz

Oct 20, 2012
Awesome!

Hi, noob here.

Had a hard time figuring out the instructions at first, namely finding the correct image file. It took me several tries but I finally got the penguin!

Thanks a lot :good:

Last edited:

theandies

I am getting this windows message when trying to burn the image to my SD.
theandies-albums-tp-pictures-picture7011-image-burn-error-message.jpg

I've tried it on a clean boot of Windows with nothing running but WinImage.
I installed and run WinImage in administrator.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now that CM10 (JellyBean) is in Alpha release (and now Beta and nightlies) for the Nook Color (see post here), I was requested to issue some up-to-date installation instructions to put it on SD.

These instructions are based on using Verygreen's original size-agnostic SD image and installer which is explained here. I have modified his image so that it works for both CM9 (ics) and CM10 (jb) and attached it below (generic-sdcard... etc). It also is still valid for CM7.

The CM10.1, CM10.2 and CM11 are official and on the CM site, get latest nightly here (you can get the CM7 ROMs at that site too). You can get the gapps zips here. CM10 needs gapps-jb-20121011 and CM10.1 needs gapps-jb-20130812 and CM10.2 needs gapps-jb-20130813 and CM11 needs gapps-kk and CM7 needs a gapps-gb version.

Installing a ROM the first time

Download the ROM, gapp and image files and temporarily store them on your PC. Unzip the image zip (generic-sdcard... attached below) and you should end up with a 300MB .img file that will be used to make the SD. Leave the other two files zipped.

EDIT: (2/18/15) - If you want to install the newer versions of CM11 with a newly burned SD you must start with the Snapshot version M11. There is something in the newer CM11 zips that causes the installation to not work. Once you have M11 working you can upgrade to the newer versions. See bowguy's post in this thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56782698.

EDIT: (6/8/14) - Updated image to rev8c to fix a minor script error that prevented installation of CM11 post 5/15 and removed a couple of gapp apps that interfered with installing kitkat gapps. This version may be used on all versions of CM. If you already made a prior rev8 SD, just use the uRecRam rev8c rar to update the SD as described below.

EDIT: (12/10/13) - Updated image to rev8b to create a larger /system to accommodate the larger CM11 and kitkat gapps for 8 and 16GB SDs. If you are installing CM11 to an 8 or 16GB SD, I recommend you start fresh with this version so that a larger /system is created. If you are on a 32GB or larger SD, then the prior rev8a is ok. And CM11 cannot be run on a smaller than 8GB SD.

EDIT: (12/9/13) - Updated the image again to rev8a to fix a permissions issue when installing the KitKat gapps. If you already made a rev8 SD, just use the uRecRam rev8a rar to update the SD as described below.

EDIT: (12/6/13) - I just updated the image file to rev8 to make it compatible with CM11 and to make the boot partition 400MB instead of 300MB to accommodate the larger CM and gapps zips. And this version still works properly on all previous CM versions. But, if installing CM7, it is best to use rev7 or earlier.

EDIT: (8/28/13) - I just updated the image file to rev7 to make it compatible with CM10.2. This version still works properly on all previous CM versions. If you were having trouble with the installer not creating the partitions or installing ROMs because of a poor SD, rev7 also has the revised kernel that is more tolerant of poor SD cards and seems to install smoother than rev5 or earlier versions. Also as of the 4/14/13 version of CM10, this same fix is included in the ROM kernel to help it run better with poor cards. Big thanks to bytte and steven676 for providing this new kernel.

For those users that want to upgrade their existing SD without reburning with the new image, I have also attached an archive of the updated boot file needed to upgrade. Just extract the file (uRecRam) and copy it to your existing SD boot partition, replacing the file that is there. Then you can update your earlier CM10.1 installation with CM10.2. You must update the gapps too. You can also do the same for rev8a, rev8b and rev8c, but the boot partition will remain 300MB unless updating a rev8 SD.

In Windows use Win32diskimager or WinImage to burn the image file to your SD (Sandisk Class 4 is the recommended brand). Win32diskimager is free on the web and WinImage is shareware but can be used free to burn images to SD. Be sure to use an external card reader rather than any built in reader in your PC. The built in reader may work but many have found them to be problematic for burning bootable SDs. And it is best to run the programs in administrator mode. In WinImage use the "Restore Virtual Disk Image to physical drive" rather than "write disk". In Linux or OSX, use the "dd" command to burn the image to SD.

To use Win32DiskImager, find it on the web (here, it's free) and install it on your Windows PC. Open it (be sure to run it as administrator) and select the drive (device) that has your card reader with your SD inserted. Then in the image file box put the location where you have the extracted img file. Then when everything is set right, click on the write button. A warning will pop up asking if you want to proceed. When you have verified that you are going to write to the correct device, click on Yes. (One user overwrote their external USB hard drive by not verifying first). If you get an error message about access denied, it means you are looking at the drive with Windows Explorer. Close Windows Explorer and try again. In fact, it is a good idea to close all unnecessary windows when burning, even your browser.

Once the SD is burned, temporarily remove the SD from the PC and then reinsert in your PC. Then copy the two other zip files (CM ROM zip and gapps zip) to the SD. Make sure the CM zip begins with cm- and the gapps zip begins the gapps- and both end in .zip. (Don't worry that the SD is now smaller than its original size. That is part of the process in making the SD usable as a bootable SD capable of running CM).

Take the SD out of the PC and insert it into your powered off Nook Color. Power on the Nook and the SD will take over. It will show a little penguin and a bunch of scrolling text. It will first partition the SD into those partitions necessary to run a ROM. Then it will install CM followed by installing gapps. It will then power down. Power it back up and it should boot to your new CM. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Google apps.

If you get stuck on any of the steps or you just want more information on installation, you can look at Taosaur's excellent blog on installing CM7 to SD. The principle is the same, just substitute CM9 or CM10 for CM7 in his blog and use the files from above. See his blog here.

Adding some tools

If you want to read some tips about how to make your SD install work a little better, look at my tips thread linked in my signature. In particular look at the tips in section B in my second post of that thread.

I recommend that all users add the Alternate CWM for SD as explained in section B5 of my tips thread referenced above. That allows you to clear the dalvik-cache or fix permissions if you need to after a ROM install. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to make a Nandroid backup of the installation. But heed the warning that you CANNOT flash ROMs to SD with it. You must use the verygreen script installer as explained in the next section. You can get the Alternate CWM for SD here and installation is very simple.

I also recommend that all users install my sdboot script from item B4 of my tips thread so they can use the CMUpdater, GooManager or CyanDelta to update their devices while the SD is still in their Nook as described later.

Updating to a new ROM

If you want to later flash an updated CM ROM or gapps zip, put the updated zip file(s) on the boot partition like you did originally and boot. But you need to be sure they are named properly or the installer script will not recognize them. They need to begin with cm-, update-, diiff_, or gapps and end in .zip. After the first tiny flash of the screen, hold the "n" button. The boot menu will come up and you can select the SD recovery and finish booting. The zip(s) will be automatically installed by the SD recovery (the script installer, a little penguin with scrolling text). Or, if you use sdboot as described later, you can just use the power off menu to select reboot and then choose recovery. It should boot automatically to SD recovery so the script installer can install the file you copied to sdboot.

Ordinarily if you are updating the same ROM (eg, CM10 over a CM10) you do not need to wipe anything. But sometimes if the ROM does not boot properly, you may want to clear dalvik-cache with the Alternate CWM for SD that I talked about earlier. If you are installing a different ROM (eg, CM10 over CM9 or CM7) you should either re-burn the SD or wipe system, data and cache with the Alternate CWM for SD. If you re-burn, the SD will be clean, but you will also lose all files in your SDCARD partition (including any backups that you may have put there).

Using CMUpdater, GooManager, or CyanDelta on SD installs

You can use these tools as long as you have your Nook set up properly. For most SD users there is no easy way to copy a zip from the sdcard partition to the boot partition while the card is still in the Nook. And if you take the card out to put it in your PC, you can access the boot partition but not the sdcard partition where the file is stored. The solution is to go to my tips thread linked in my signature and look at item B4. It tells you how to install a script that mounts the boot partition as 'sdboot' under your root directory. Just use a file manager to copy the file from SDCARD to /sdboot. Then use the power off menu to boot to recovery. The script installer will install it as long as it is named properly as described above.

CM has a new feature (CMUpdater) that makes it easy to download and install updated CM 10 ROMs for those users on emmc. Just go to settings, about tablet, CyanogenMod updates, and follow the prompts. But for SD users you need to be careful, as it may try update your emmc when you are wanting it to update the SD. It will boot to the SD recovery and do nothing, but the next time you manually boot to CWM or TWRP on emmc, it will install it on emmc. You can still use CMUpdater to download the zip, but when it finishes and asks if you want it installed, you have to choose cancel. The ROM zip is downloaded to /sdcard/cmupdater. You need to copy that file to your boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery and the script installer will install it.

With GooManager you download a small zip that only has the changed files in it and you flash that. And that works on SD installs as long as you use the script installer. Just copy the diff_ file to the boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery. With GooManager you can choose which directory you want to download to, so you can tell it to directly download to sdboot. No need to copy later. GooManager does not currently host the CM10 zips. But they do host the Paranoid Android zips.

With CyanDelta, you use an app installed from Play Store. That app reads, modifies and stores your current ROM zip on your SD for future use. Then, when an update is available, it downloads a small (about 5-10MB) delta file from their site and modifies and renames that stored zip so it has the changes in it. So what you flash is your complete previous ROM zip that has the changed files inserted into it, replacing the ones that were changed. You can use that modified ROM zip with the SD install. Just be sure to only download the delta and let the app modify the zip. Do not let it proceed with installation. The newly modified ROM zip will be in /sdcard/CyanDelta (with the new date). Copy that to the boot partition (sdboot) and boot to SD recovery. The only issue I see is, as part of their modifying they have obviously reduced the compression level of the zip and the normal 150MB zip becomes 250MB. That means you need that much space on your boot partition. If you used my new image file to make your SD in the first place, it should fit since I increased the boot partition size to 300MB.

-------

For questions or comments on the installation procedure comment on this thread. For comments or questions on the CM9/CM10 ROMs comment in the CM9/CM10 Discussion thread here or the CM10 General Discussion & Q&A thread here.

EDIT 1 and 2 removed
    Yes but if the installer script is in the SD image when it comes time to install gapps will I have to start from scratch or can the new script be copied over (and where will I find the new script)?

OK Try this. Install CM11 but not gapps. Let it boot up and fire up the file manager. Go to settings->General Settings->Access Mode. Make sure you have Root access mode. Now navigate to /system/app and delete Hangouts.apk and GoogleHome.apk This should delete the symbolic links that are causing the problems. Now shutdown and remove the SD card. Copy Gapps to the SD card and reboot into recovery. This should install the gapps. I don't know for sure if this will work but it should and if it doesn't, you won't have wasted a lot of time.
    I am having the same issue on a brand new CM11 SD install with cm-11-20140414-NIGHTLY-encore.zip

Any help appreciated.

Thanks !
    Check the OP, I posted rev8c of the image to fix those issues.

Thanks to Steven676 for finding and posting the script error and to bowguy for finding the gapps apk issue and for testing the fixed image.
    In CM10.1 and older, we set up the filesystems in /init.encore.rc as follows:

Code:
    on fs
        # mount partitions
        mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom sync noatime nodiratime uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=117,dmask=007
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1

Note the block device names are written into the mount commands -- this implies that the SD card installer needs to change /init.encore.rc in the initramfs (ramdisk) when installing.

For CM10.2, we do things differently:

Code:
    on fs
        # mount partitions
        mount_all /fstab.encore

Where did the device names go? They've all moved into that /fstab.encore file, which looks like this:

Code:
    #######################
    #    
    # The filesystem that contains the filesystem checker binary (typically /system) cannot
    # specify MF_CHECK, and must come before any filesystems that do specify MF_CHECK
    ######################
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system ext4 ro,barrier=1 wait
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /data ext4 noatime,nosuid,nodev,barrier=1,noauto_da_alloc wait,check
    [...]

Basically, where the installer previously had to change /init.encore.rc to refer to SD card partitions instead of eMMC ones, it now needs to change /fstab.encore in the same way.
    Ok, I will see what I can do.

Edit 8-28: The OP has now been updated with rev7 of the image zip. It works now on CM10.2 and all previous CM versions.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
    It sounds like you are using a new SD card. You say the old ones work. It could the SD that is malfunctioning.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
    I can confirm this behavior. Brand new SD card and I have done this a few times. ;)
    11/14 nightly fails exactly as he describes. Trying to find a ROM that will work. Will report back.
    M12 fails (/tmp/updater syntax error No build image ?? Not sure - went by pretty fast.)
    M11 works !!!! Something happened between 10/08 and 11/12 (m11 - m12). I will now try to flash 11/14 nightly over M11. BRB
    11/14 showed the same error during install but booted up fine.

Solution for new install - Initial ROM is M11 then the nightlies work fine....