Well Guys, It's Been Almost a Day Since You've Had the Phone. Thoughts?

Search This thread

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
There's a lot to be said for the hardware and touchwiz isn't really any better. I'm not sure why it ruffles your feathers so much that someone might find the hardware compelling enough to overcome a UI that they aren't crazy about.

Note 3 has better specs why don't you get that and put aosp on it?? You make no sense dude (no pun intended hahaha)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: barondebxl

BFirebird101

Feb 10, 2011
Coming from the DNA:

Same 5" screen, same feel in my hands...
But now I don't have to cup my hand behind the speaker to hear what's playing. Boom sound is simply awesome for such a little guy.
While I would like to have seen the camera resolution be in the 5-8mp range, I can't deny that this phone can take a pic in very low light. So that is a true plus for me.

But best of all is the SDXC slot is back. Thank you HTC.

Came from DNA as well. I was constantly running out of space.

Sent from my HTC One M8!

Pier8

Jul 28, 2009
Note 3 has better specs why don't you get that and put aosp on it?? You make no sense dude (no pun intended hahaha)

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want a phone that size. I also vastly prefer the build quality on this device. In fact, I like many things about the HTC One enough to chose it over the other device options I had. It's not like I didn't know what I was getting into or am in any way regretting my purchase. I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt by my decision to buy this despite not loving everything about it. Maybe eventually the bootloader for this gets unlocked and I can change the ROM out. Maybe not. I'm very happy with the device either way. It's just for me, sense is not the selling point. For you I guess it is. Yay different opinions.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks for the advice. I didn't want a phone that size. I also vastly prefer the build quality on this device. In fact, I like many things about the HTC One enough to chose it over the other device options I had. It's not like I didn't know what I was getting into or am in any way regretting my purchase. I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt by my decision to buy this despite not loving everything about it. Maybe eventually the bootloader for this gets unlocked and I can change the ROM out. Maybe not. I'm very happy with the device either way. It's just for me, sense is not the selling point. For you I guess it is. Yay different opinions.

If you compare size it isn't that much bigger at all. Almost identical length. Just saying i hate Apple and would never buy one don't know how you can hate sense yet buy one. You contradict yourself

Pier8

Jul 28, 2009
The Note 3 is both taller and wider and isn't built as nicely as the HTC One. I don't know how you can care this much what I buy. Get over yourself.

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
One thing nobody's mentioned yet, how's the battery life?

I'm considering this as my next device (I'm still on the GNex, haven't found a good ROM-able device to replace it yet), and if the bootloader gets unlocked I'll probably jump all over this.

I would love to be able to flash kernel's as well, but truthfully, I loved my old Droid X and all I could flash were ROM's, so I wouldn't mind it on this device too much. But I don't know if I could use it without root...TiBu could be replaced by Helium, but I don't know if there are any non-root replacements for SD Maid, ROM Control (for changing the LCD density, I don't really use it for anything else), and Tasker (for automatically going to silent mode at bedtime, and for going to vibrate doing work hours). All which I really do need (I know changing the LCD density sounds like a minor thing, but all stock displays just look so BIG to me, it drives me insane).

Plus, being able to freeze or uninstall the various VZW crapware would be awesome.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
If it gets soff you can put on then. I don't understand why people that hate sense buy HTC phones

Because of the hardware. It's a simple thing. We slap a launcher on it and bam.

Reading your other comments, you should have a seat. He's not contradicting himself. If iPhone had an android launcher alot of people would get it. It is a complex idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pier8

xShin

Oct 22, 2010
Coming from the M7 (and having owned the DNA, Rezound, and Droid Incredible), I honestly believe this is the best phone I've had so far.

Pros:
- Battery life has been quite good for me so far, even with heavier-than-normal usage and without having been through a full cycle yet.
- Reception and data speeds have both been better, presumably due to the M8's built-in support for the AWS band on Verizon's LTE-A.
- The device runs cooler, and has not heated up yet through usage.
- The Gesture Controls are fun and make it more convenient for me to use my phone.
- The build quality is, as expected, superb and the phone feels great to hold and use.
- The vibration is very quiet (when your phone's on a flat surface, i.e. a table) - when it vibrates, it's not loud or obnoxious. This is a massive improvement over my M7, where the vibration was so loud i would have to set my phone on silent to avoid bothering others at work.
- There is a wide range of volumes that the phone can output - the speakers can be anywhere from really quiet where you can barely hear anything, all the way to being louder than laptop speakers.
- The power and volume buttons seem to be better-constructed than they were on the M7 - they are actually sticking out as opposed to being completely flush, and have more tactile feedback.
- Everything is extremely fast and smooth, and as a whole, I love the new Sense.

Neutral:
- The on-screen buttons do take some getting used to. On the bright side, because they are on the screen, it means I don't have to stretch my fingers as far down as I would if they were capacitive buttons, thus making the phone slightly easier to use.
- Because the finish is so smooth and shiny, I constantly feel like I might drop the phone if I'm not holding it carefully.
- Not sure how I feel about the power button being on the top right now instead of top left, but with the gesture controls, I'm hardly ever touching the power button anyway.
- I'm not a huge photography person, so perhaps my opinion isn't accurate; however, I feel like the camera's more than good enough for my needs. It doesn't necessarily wow me, but I'm not disappointed by it either.

Cons:
- The gesture controls are designed to work when you pick up the phone; this means they don't work when you have the phone laying flat. If nothing else, I'd like to be able to double-tap when my phone's on my desk so I can see notifications.
- The phone is slightly larger than the M7 was; for people with small hands, it could be difficult to operate the phone with one hand.
- I somewhat prefer the less-rounded corners on the M7, but I can see how that would make the M8 seem even larger, so I'm getting used to it.
- All of the icons in the Settings menu are now grey, as opposed to the color icons that older iterations of Sense had - makes it slightly harder to find things.

giorat23

Jul 12, 2013
Plastic DNA same feel on your hands compared with the M8 masterpiece aluminum unibody??? WTF! ..

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Hey dude shut up and wait the ONE M8 gpe realase these days.. despite Sense 6 is much more advanced and snipper than Aosp.. And wtf would you buy HTC if you dont like sense and all the possibilities it offers compared with dated and poor aosp. -.-

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

daboyal006

Jan 28, 2013
Honestly I love it so far, I changed carriers just to experience this as fast as I could..I'm definitely thinking of a case and the camera is sub par but everything makes up for it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

sigshane

Well, before this I was on the HTC DNA, rooted and ROM'ed to Sense 5.5 and KK, so not much in the way of new OS or Sense features at first...

I was playing around with the Duo camera feature, which is totally freaky - my kids were fascinated with it! Can't yet see what I will do with it yet, but who knows.

I was surprised to find that I had the 32GB version, when Verizon had listed two versions, a 16GB and a 32GB. Since I have a 64GB microSD card, I was prepared to get the 16GB one, and save the 50 bucks. But I got the 32GB one at the 16GB price, so cool!

I may actually be the only person around who will actually say "I like Blinkfeed". I have noticed that, from Sense 5.5 to 6, the scroll behavior of Blinkfeed is no longer page-by-page, but free scroll. So I have to get used to that, else I will scroll past many "pages" of info by mistake.

Sucks that there is no S-Off (yet!), and every time I see that Titanium Backup Root or ROM Manager icon in my drawer, I am reminded of that fact. :(

Also, I cannot believe that Verizon actually has the gall to charge 59 bucks for that flimsy flip cover for the phone! Some pinholes and the time shining through are not enough for me to shell out that kind of dough for a cover that won't protect my phone, sorry! If anything, it should be an included accessory that most folks will eventually toss into a drawer or the original box.

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
I love the design of this version of Sense. I'm very surprised how minimal it is. I love the theming of the system/HTC apps. They did a good job of maintaining the Android design language. Love the matching status bars. This is the first time I've enjoyed an OEM skin. Lol, I feel like I'm cheating on Google somehow.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: BFirebird101

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
How does the metallic part of the phone look? Has anyone noticed any scratching yet? Or has anyone who had the original One noticed scratching? I usually keep my phone alone in my pants pocket, or sitting on my desk, so I'm not super worried about it getting scratched, but even so, with my current phone, I've noticed that it has some noticeable (but minor) scratches.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Love & Hate it.

Love the new design, how loud and fast it is.

Hate that I can't root or s--off and everyone else can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Coming from the M7 (and having owned the DNA, Rezound, and Droid Incredible), I honestly believe this is the best phone I've had so far.

Pros:
    - Battery life has been quite good for me so far, even with heavier-than-normal usage and without having been through a full cycle yet.
    - Reception and data speeds have both been better, presumably due to the M8's built-in support for the AWS band on Verizon's LTE-A.
    - The device runs cooler, and has not heated up yet through usage.
    - The Gesture Controls are fun and make it more convenient for me to use my phone.
    - The build quality is, as expected, superb and the phone feels great to hold and use.
    - The vibration is very quiet (when your phone's on a flat surface, i.e. a table) - when it vibrates, it's not loud or obnoxious. This is a massive improvement over my M7, where the vibration was so loud i would have to set my phone on silent to avoid bothering others at work.
    - There is a wide range of volumes that the phone can output - the speakers can be anywhere from really quiet where you can barely hear anything, all the way to being louder than laptop speakers.
    - The power and volume buttons seem to be better-constructed than they were on the M7 - they are actually sticking out as opposed to being completely flush, and have more tactile feedback.
    - Everything is extremely fast and smooth, and as a whole, I love the new Sense.

Neutral:
    - The on-screen buttons do take some getting used to. On the bright side, because they are on the screen, it means I don't have to stretch my fingers as far down as I would if they were capacitive buttons, thus making the phone slightly easier to use.
    - Because the finish is so smooth and shiny, I constantly feel like I might drop the phone if I'm not holding it carefully.
    - Not sure how I feel about the power button being on the top right now instead of top left, but with the gesture controls, I'm hardly ever touching the power button anyway.
    - I'm not a huge photography person, so perhaps my opinion isn't accurate; however, I feel like the camera's more than good enough for my needs. It doesn't necessarily wow me, but I'm not disappointed by it either.

Cons:
    - The gesture controls are designed to work when you pick up the phone; this means they don't work when you have the phone laying flat. If nothing else, I'd like to be able to double-tap when my phone's on my desk so I can see notifications.
    - The phone is slightly larger than the M7 was; for people with small hands, it could be difficult to operate the phone with one hand.
    - I somewhat prefer the less-rounded corners on the M7, but I can see how that would make the M8 seem even larger, so I'm getting used to it.
    - All of the icons in the Settings menu are now grey, as opposed to the color icons that older iterations of Sense had - makes it slightly harder to find things.
    So far, I am loving the phone, and I have no faults with it as of yet. Yes, when you zoom in on pictures, they can be a bit blurry blown up on the computer, but I could care less since I'm not a professional photographer. Feels great in my hand, and people keep saying my phone looks sickkkk.

Oh, and this thing is LOOUUDDD. Louder than any other phone I've come across. The only lag I saw was while installing all my apps.

What about you guy's? Post pros and cons.

Sent from my HTC One M8!

I've never owned an HTC phone before, and the UI for me is a little tough to get used to - especially when my other devices are more 'stock' Android, - a Nexus 7 and Moto X. I've had plenty of skinned devices before, Samsung and Moto pre-Google, so I know there's a learning curve. The hardware though, it's about as close as I'll ever get to an iPhone, and it's fantastic. The build quality, the buttons, the material, top notch. Coming from "flagship" Sammy phones (Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2 and 3's) - can't hold a candle to this. Biggest con (aside from the Sense UI) is the camera. I know I might need to tweak some settings, but it should be (in theory) a much better image quality just on auto settings.

I'd say, all things considered, the hardware is the biggest perk, but I have a feeling I'll still be using my Moto X more than 50% of the time.

Now, if we can get CM in the future, that's another story altogether, but I think it's too early to tell if someone will be able to root and unlock. Haven't kept up on the root/ROM scene since I loaded Beans on my Note 3 running 4.3 back in January.
    You can use the "manage home screen pages" setting to remove blinkfeed. No need to go for an outside launcher because of Blinkfeed.

Thanks but I have used Apex on all my devices so I stick with what works :)
    Loving mine, coming from the DNA. Don't much care for the on screen buttons but other than that. I like it. To me the camera is not as bad as a lot of sites are saying. Here's a quick pic I just took. The fire looks so clean.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Now that I've got it the way I want it.. awesome. That involved:

- switching to Nova Launcher to get control of the app grid and make it a bit more dense. Default HTC looks a bit dumb.
    - installing Popup Free
    - installing Smart Keyboard Pro

.. so the usual kinda stuff one does with an android phone to make it ones own.

Highlights for me are:

- speakers. Pretty remarkable. When I'm on the phone with the headset to my head, the sound feels so spacious that I keep thinking I'm on speakerphone.
    - build. Samsungs just feel so cheesy. I've missed the iPhone build quality and the M8 is right up there.
    - double tap to wake up.
    - the 3D camera functionality is definitely fun and I will definitely use it. I also like the the Zoe camera concept of press to take a photo, press and hold to video.

It's taking me a while to get used to the software home button. I realize now that with my S3 I used that to very instinctively pull the phone out of my pocket and know which way up it was.. also I find that I sometimes hit HOME instead of SPACE when typing, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

I have the gunmetal phone, and I have to say it's a bit slick. Would be nice if it was a tiny bit less slippy. It would feel more secure in the hand.

K