[How-To] Unlock ATT/T-Mobile on 2.3.5 OTA

Search This thread

kurtbird

May 19, 2012
I had the same issue with WiFi shutting off when the screen locked, never got fixed. I tried about a half dozen programs from the play store to keep it talking, the only one that worked, and works beautifully is called "Wakelock"

Unfortunatly, wakelock isn't working for me. Since, i'm using this on wi-fi only with a tmo voice only sim, it's really annoying.

portman

Aug 31, 2008
Flashed USC SBF over KDDI Radio

After using the custom ROM with KDDI radio for about one month, I decided to flash USC sbf again and surprisingly USC ROM works perfectly with KDDI radio. Now I can use all the stock apps.
thanks guys.

venubvs

Dec 9, 2011
Since PlatinumTel moved from Sprint MVNO to T-Mobile MVNO, I thought my photon gone waste. But it did not. I just enabled the GSM radio and my Ptel service is working excellent. THANK YOU VERYMUCH guys.:):)

kurtbird

May 19, 2012
After using the custom ROM with KDDI radio for about one month, I decided to flash USC sbf again and surprisingly USC ROM works perfectly with KDDI radio. Now I can use all the stock apps.
thanks guys.

stock apps? Like the nascar crap and other junk sprint had on there that we couldn't remove?

enelyam

Feb 16, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for all the hard job you guys put into this. But i do have a question, i made a couple Photons before and some other Moto from Verizon gsm us carrier unlocks. But im dealing with this Electrify that is killing me because no matter what i do when i finish the process it will get stuck in bootloops. Ive read the entire thread trying to find something but nothing at all have worked. So my guess is that this Electrify came with 2.3.5 stock. Any good ideas?

EDIT:
Made it to boot the Hybrid ROM by not flashing it all togheter. Then went back to recovery and tried to flash KDDI again since the GSM signals werent there. Now in about the phone shows baseband UNKNOWN

Last edited:

MarcquisDale

Aug 22, 2012
What worked for me was flashing kddi radio, then the rom, flash kddib again then factory reset because i got boot loops.

Sent from my MB855 running AT&T using xda app-developers app

s9pa

Dec 20, 2010
GSM Still not working.

I need help as I am stuck somewhere and I haven't seen anyone else with my issues: So far, I did the following steps

- SBF to stock
- Root/Unlock
- Recovery.img
- nandroid backup
- Flash KDDI radio in recovery
- Flash Peetr_Hybrid_ROM_V20
- After getting bootloop (Clear user/cache data)
- Reflashed KDDI

When I rebooted I got stuck on the "Activation" screen and I have no signal whatever. Any help/tips? Is there any other rom that work with GSM in the U.S.? I know that my SIM is activated as it works in other unlocked phones.

Last edited:

DXM31

Jun 18, 2012
Midlothian
I need help as I am stuck somewhere and I haven't seen anyone else with my issues: So far, I did the following steps

- SBF to stock
- Root/Unlock
- Recovery.img
- nandroid backup
- Flash KDDI radio in recovery
- Flash Peetr_Hybrid_ROM_V20
- After getting bootloop (Clear user/cache data)
- Reflashed KDDI

When I rebooted I got stuck on the "Activation" screen and I have no signal whatever. Any help/tips? Is there any other rom that work with GSM in the U.S.? I know that my SIM is activated as it works in other unlocked phones.

I had trouble getting Peetr ROM to work so I am using the USC ROM( you flashed it in step 1) the KDDI radio works for that one as well.
So I did not flash the Hybrid ROM.

s9pa

Dec 20, 2010
I had trouble getting Peetr ROM to work so I am using the USC ROM( you flashed it in step 1) the KDDI radio works for that one as well.
So I did not flash the Hybrid ROM.

What do you mean by USC ROM? Isn't that one for Electify? I am on Photon and I used 1FF-sunfire-user-2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_7-CM-release-keys-signed-Sprint-US for my first step. If there is a USC Rom for the photon, can you please point me to the download link?

Thanks

makakalo

Aug 17, 2010
I had that too when flashing the USC ROM. If you give it some time it will give up and go away. Mashing the home/back keys also helps. There used to be a old trick on donut and earlier where you could tap each corner of the screen in a clockwise pattern to bypass provisioning, but I don't know if it still works in gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

MarcquisDale

Aug 22, 2012
Still works ive done it a couple times

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

What do you mean by USC ROM? Isn't that one for Electify? I am on Photon and I used 1FF-sunfire-user-2.3.4-4.5.1A-1_SUN-198_7-CM-release-keys-signed-Sprint-US for my first step. If there is a USC Rom for the photon, can you please point me to the download link?

Thanks

If you're on 2.3.4 use the other thread for unlocking domestic gsm this method locks your bootloader

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

s9pa

Dec 20, 2010
thanks to all who helped me. Unfortunately I reflashed the phone and went through the whole process over and over (thrice) with no result, but I did finally figure it out. If you flash everything and get stuck on phone activation. Click the Menu button (will pop up a new window)> Select Wireless settings > Change your mobile network to GSM and everything will work from there.

Is there any ICS or JB rom that will work with GSM in the US?

Last edited:
Reactions: seroaddict

shadow2by4

Sep 17, 2010
Clearwater, FL
No usb... can this still be done?

I got a MoPho from craigslist with a bum charging port(won't usb while booted into android, but will rsd/fastboot. Won't charge.) and wanted to unlock it for t-mobile. It's already rooted and running stock 2.3.5 US cellular. Everything is ready, I just need a way to get into bootstrap without charging or another way to flash kddi and peetr's rom. I usually just take the battery out and charge it without the phone, so I could continue that. I just need to unlock it for GSM. Any help would be loved greatly! Thank you!

kcz28

Jan 23, 2013
IMPORTANT: This guide is for users with a Motorola Photon 4G (MB855) running the 2.3.5 OTA update only. For the lucky ones still running 2.3.4, you want this thread. For those of you who don’t know what version of Android you are running, DO NOT try this. Please read these forums carefully and learn everything you can before attempting this.

This guide is based on the work of halfevildruid and his thread for unlocking GSM for Photon users on 2.3.4 with unlocked bootloaders. All users should take the time to carefully read through that thread here and keep in mind that it was written for 2.3.4/unlocked bootloader users. Some files and steps in that thread will not work on Photons that have had the 2.3.5 OTA applied.

Unlocking US GSM Carriers on 2.3.5 OTA

Before You Start:
Doing this will remove the domestic GSM carrier lock on the Sprint Photon running 2.3.5 OTA. This process will most likely break your ability to return to Sprint service, so please DO NOT DO THIS if you want to keep your Photon running on Sprint. There are ways to fix this, but none have been tested on 2.3.5 OTA devices. As far as I know, this method has been confirmed to work on three phones (including mine), so consider this experimental and high risk. I am not responsible for bricked phones, warranty issues, cats chasing dogs or hot snow falling up if you try this.

Things You Need:
1.Windows PC (tested on Win 8) with the following software installed:
-Motorola USB Drivers [Download]
-RSD Lite [Download]
-ADB Tools/Android SDK [Download] (Not really necessary, but helpful if you have USB issues.)​
2. Micro USB cable and wall charger (needed for bootstrap recovery)
3. Standard (full size) SIM card for US GSM network. (ATT/T-Mobile/Straight Talk)
4. Micro SD card (not necessary, but good just in case)
5. Motorola Photon running 2.3.5 OTA ONLY

Files You Need:
1.Full US Cellular Electrify SBF [Download]2. Unbrick SBF [Download]3. Electrify/Photon (almost) One Click Root [Download]4. Bootstrap Recovery [Download]5. Peetr’s Hybrid Locked 2.3.5 ROM [Dev Thread/Download]
-HybridGBv20locked.zip​
6. KDDI Radio [Download]If any links do not work, most can be found at www.motosunfire.com.

Steps
1. Backup Your Stuff!
2. Shutdown phone and remove SIM/SD card (if applicable)
-Tip: Leave your battery cover off. There’s going to be a lot of battery pulls…​
3. Open RSD Lite on your computer.
4. Start phone in RSD mode:
-With phone unplugged hold volume-down and power
-It should say fastboot in the top left corner, press volume-down until RSD appears
-Connect phone to computer
-Press volume-up to enter RSD mode​
5. Select the full US Celluar SBF in RSD lite and press start.
-This process takes a few minutes and will end in an error, this is normal.
-The phone may hang on the dual core screen, if so pull the battery.
-The phone will either do two things:
-Bootloop with the US cellular logo
-Boot normally to home screen​
-In either case, pull the battery and follow the steps to enter RSD mode again.​
6. Once you are in RSD mode again, flash the Unbrick SBF
-This should not end in an error, but RSD may say you need to manually reboot your phone, this is normal.
-Once your phone reboots you may experience bootlooping, if so do a factory reset (See below)
-With the phone off pess vol-down + power
-Press vol-down until Android Recovery is shown, press vol-up to enter.
-Press both vol-up + vol-down to see menu.
-In the recovery screen, use the volume buttons to scroll and select factory restore.
-Press power to wipe the phone.
-When complete, reboot phone and you should successfully boot to home.​
7. Once you have flashed the two SBFs, you should be able to g[/INDENT]See next post for Q&A

I only did these steps and my phone shows the 4g icon, do I have 4g?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT: This guide is for users with a Motorola Photon 4G (MB855) running the 2.3.5 OTA update only. For the lucky ones still running 2.3.4, you want this thread. For those of you who don’t know what version of Android you are running, DO NOT try this. Please read these forums carefully and learn everything you can before attempting this.

This guide is based on the work of halfevildruid and his thread for unlocking GSM for Photon users on 2.3.4 with unlocked bootloaders. All users should take the time to carefully read through that thread here and keep in mind that it was written for 2.3.4/unlocked bootloader users. Some files and steps in that thread will not work on Photons that have had the 2.3.5 OTA applied.

Unlocking US GSM Carriers on 2.3.5 OTA

Before You Start:
    Doing this will remove the domestic GSM carrier lock on the Sprint Photon running 2.3.5 OTA. This process will most likely break your ability to return to Sprint service, so please DO NOT DO THIS if you want to keep your Photon running on Sprint. There are ways to fix this, but none have been tested on 2.3.5 OTA devices. As far as I know, this method has been confirmed to work on three phones (including mine), so consider this experimental and high risk. I am not responsible for bricked phones, warranty issues, cats chasing dogs or hot snow falling up if you try this.

Things You Need:
    1.Windows PC (tested on Win 8) with the following software installed:
    -Motorola USB Drivers [Download]
    -RSD Lite [Download]
    -ADB Tools/Android SDK [Download] (Not really necessary, but helpful if you have USB issues.)​
    2. Micro USB cable and wall charger (needed for bootstrap recovery)
    3. Standard (full size) SIM card for US GSM network. (ATT/T-Mobile/Straight Talk)
    4. Micro SD card (not necessary, but good just in case)
    5. Motorola Photon running 2.3.5 OTA ONLY

Files You Need:
    1.Full US Cellular Electrify SBF [Download]
    2. Unbrick SBF [Download]
    3. Electrify/Photon (almost) One Click Root [Download]
    4. Bootstrap Recovery [Download]
    5. Peetr’s Hybrid Locked 2.3.5 ROM [Dev Thread/Download]
    -HybridGBv20locked.zip​
    6. KDDI Radio [Download]

If any links do not work, most can be found at www.motosunfire.com.

Steps
    1. Backup Your Stuff!
    2. Shutdown phone and remove SIM/SD card (if applicable)

-Tip: Leave your battery cover off. There’s going to be a lot of battery pulls…​
    3. Open RSD Lite on your computer.
    4. Start phone in RSD mode:

-With phone unplugged hold volume-down and power
    -It should say fastboot in the top left corner, press volume-down until RSD appears
    -Connect phone to computer
    -Press volume-up to enter RSD mode​
    5. Select the full US Celluar SBF in RSD lite and press start.
    -This process takes a few minutes and will end in an error, this is normal.
    -The phone may hang on the dual core screen, if so pull the battery.
    -The phone will either do two things:
    -Bootloop with the US cellular logo
    -Boot normally to home screen​
    -In either case, pull the battery and follow the steps to enter RSD mode again.​
    6. Once you are in RSD mode again, flash the Unbrick SBF
    -This should not end in an error, but RSD may say you need to manually reboot your phone, this is normal.
    -Once your phone reboots you may experience bootlooping, if so do a factory reset (See below)
    -With the phone off pess vol-down + power
    -Press vol-down until Android Recovery is shown, press vol-up to enter.
    -Press both vol-up + vol-down to see menu.
    -In the recovery screen, use the volume buttons to scroll and select factory restore.
    -Press power to wipe the phone.
    -When complete, reboot phone and you should successfully boot to home.​
    7. Once you have flashed the two SBFs, you should be able to get to the stock US Celluar rom.
    8. After everything has loaded, you need to obtain root access. (See below)

-Make sure all USB drivers are installed on your computer.
    -Enable USB debugging mode on phone (System>Applications>Development)
    -Unzip the su.zip on your computer and open root.bat, the program will take you through the rest.​
    9. Once rooted, place the KDDI zip and Peetr’s ROM on either the internal or external storage.
    -This is also a good time to install your SIM card.​
    10. Install the Bootstrap recovery and follow the instructions to boot into recovery.
    -Remember: You need to be on AC power to get into Bootstrap recovery.​
    11. In recovery, flash the KDDI zip and then Peetr’s ROM
    12. After installing the ROM, flash KDDI again.

-Flash KDDI as many times as you want, it will give an error but will still work.​
    13. Reboot phone and enjoy the GSM radio.:highfive:
    -If you bootloop again, just do another factory reset. Peetr’s ROM will still be there.
    -You may have to root and install Bootstrap again.
    -It never hurts to flash KDDI one more time just to be sure.​

See next post for Q&A
    Q&A

When You’re Done:

Q: How can I go back to Sprint?
    A: The only way that worked for me was by flashing 2.3.5. Photon 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13 from this thread. This will take the phone back to mostly stock, but there may be residual radio issues.

Q: What carriers can I use now?
    A: Any GSM carrier that uses a standard SIM card. These include:
    -ATT (3G)
    -T-Mobile (2G/EDGE unless you live in a re-farmed area.)
    -Straight Talk (3G w/ATT SIM, 2G w/T-Mobile SIM)​

Q: Can I unlock my bootloader now?
    A: Nope. This only unlocks the GSM radio.

Q: Can I install a different ROM than Peetr’s hybrid?
    A: SIM unlocking has only been confirmed to work on Peetr’s locked hybrid rom.

Q: I’m pissed at Motorola for canceling the ICS upgrade. How can I sleep at night?
    A: As of right now (and probably forever) there is no way to install any version of Android higher than 2.3.5 on any Photon with the 2.3.5 OTA. However, Peetr’s ROM can be modified to make it look and function like ICS. Planters76 has made an excellent theme for the hybrid ROM that can be flashed in Bootstrap. It can be found here.

Once you flash that theme there are several applications on the Play Store that replicate the ICS/JB experience. Developer Moblynx offers replacements for the clock, camera and gallery. Mobint Software makes home and lockscreen replacements as well. I’m not affiliated with these developers, but their work is solid. This is as close as were going to get to ICS on 2.3.5.

Q: Which developers contributed to this?
    A: halfevildruid, mof9336, peetr_, Noncs, Lightsword1942, Planters76, and many others. If anyone else would like to be mentioned, let me know and I’ll add you in. Without these developers we’d be left out in the cold, so give them some thanks.

Q: Who are you and what are you doing here?
    A: I am not a developer myself, so just think of me as the person gathering all of the information and trying to simplify it. I can’t stand planned obsolescence, so the Photon is a sore point for me. I’ve stayed in the shadows before now because I haven’t had a reason to speak up, but the locked down OTA and cancelled ICS update bugged the hell out of me. I was in the first soak test for the 2.3.5 OTA, so I had no warning that Motorola was about to screw me and many others. If I can help anyone else that was locked down eek any more life from their phones, then I’ve done my job.

Q: I’m lost! Can you help?
    A: Just reply with your questions and I’ll try my best. Keep in mind that I am not a developer, so there are some questions I may not have an answer to.

Finally, if anyone finds any incorrect information in my post or some other error, please let me know so I can fix it. I’d like to prevent any unnecessary phone damage if possible.
    you need to flash anyone of the following using bootstrap recovery

198_7 radio sbf ----- 198_7 libmoto_ril.so

254_12 radio sbf ----- 254_12 libmoto_ril.so
    (thanks to Peetr_)

in my case 198_7 radio sbf ----- 198_7 libmoto_ril.so did the trick even when my phone had a locked bootloader.

after this flash KDDI radio

As many times as I have done this you would think I would remember that, but no.
    After wipe data/cache I got the hybrid rom to load and ran fine except I could not get the radio to work??
    Tried rebooting several times, reinstalling kddi several times, but no go.
    Fortunately I made a backup, so went back to USCell ROM and the radio was back:D
    Thank You

Dead simple easy to follow guide. Your hard work is very much appreciated.
    For anyone having problems here's how my install went.
    Flash sunfire sbf
    Flash unbrick
    Gain Root
    Install Moto Recovery
    From here I flashed KDDI and rebooted with a T-Mobile sim (i did not install Peetr’s ROM)
    Radio came up, showed T-Mobile, said i had 1 voicemail
    No WiFi so i installed USCMMSWIFI.ZIP, reflashed sunfire sbf and rebooted.
    Everything works. Thank You again to everyone involved.
    thanks to all who helped me. Unfortunately I reflashed the phone and went through the whole process over and over (thrice) with no result, but I did finally figure it out. If you flash everything and get stuck on phone activation. Click the Menu button (will pop up a new window)> Select Wireless settings > Change your mobile network to GSM and everything will work from there.

Is there any ICS or JB rom that will work with GSM in the US?