[HOW TO]Update to 4.4.2 NAE w/Root while Keeping MF9 Bootloader w/ Lock Screen Fix

Search This thread

Mudavo

Jun 10, 2010
Im on stock mdl trying to root and its giving me a failed message in twrp when trying flash . Do I need to flash crawls rom if im already on mdl ? Or can I use a just kernel. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Yes flash one of crawjr's Roms. Then stock MDL kernel (if your not on stock kernel). You will then be rooted.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: parmend

lowtide

Nov 8, 2009
Mission Viejo
First of all, Thanks (given) Mudavo! I followed this thread and completely up and running with new MDL version, Rooted and custom recovery. This is my first Samsung, been HTC for my last 3 phones so things are a bit different.

I did a Nandroid backup as well as Titanium before making any changes. I am trying to do a restore from my GoSMS app as well as Titanium Backup and neither one has available backups even though have used Nandroid Manager to restore all my apps+data (android_id too)

I tried finding the old GoSMS Zip file backup so I could copy to the right location using Nandroid Manager, but I have no idea where it lives. I assume it is in data.ext4.win, but not sure where to find '/sdcard/GOSMS/backup/localbr/' within the nandroid backup.

Any pointers?
TIA

Mudavo

Jun 10, 2010
First of all, Thanks (given) Mudavo! I followed this thread and completely up and running with new MDL version, Rooted and custom recovery. This is my first Samsung, been HTC for my last 3 phones so things are a bit different.

I did a Nandroid backup as well as Titanium before making any changes. I am trying to do a restore from my GoSMS app as well as Titanium Backup and neither one has available backups even though have used Nandroid Manager to restore all my apps+data (android_id too)

I tried finding the old GoSMS Zip file backup so I could copy to the right location using Nandroid Manager, but I have no idea where it lives. I assume it is in data.ext4.win, but not sure where to find '/sdcard/GOSMS/backup/localbr/' within the nandroid backup.

Any pointers?
TIA

I'm assuming your TB backup is on your extSD card. In titanium backup go to prefences > backup folder location, then hit detect. It should locate your backup's on your extSD card. Then press "use the current folder."

maine620

Sep 10, 2009
East Orange, NJ
I need some help im rooted on mdc but no matter what I do the only thing that changes is my build my software & baseband stays on mdc

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium App

lowtide

Nov 8, 2009
Mission Viejo
I'm assuming your TB backup is on your extSD card. In titanium backup go to prefences > backup folder location, then hit detect. It should locate your backup's on your extSD card. Then press "use the current folder."

I don't think I did the best job explaining. My TB backup and my GoSMS backups were on the phone SD, not the extSD. I did do an entire Nandroid backup, so I know it is somewhere in that backup file. I am using Nandroid Manger Pro to navigate the files in the backup so I can find the GoSMS zip

I am looking for this: "/storage/emulated/0/GOSMS/backup/localbr" within my Nandroid backup. I figure it has to be in data.ext4.win (1.33GB) or in system.ext4.win000 (1.5 GB) It really looks like it should be in data.ext4.win, but I don't see that path in there, or really anything like it.

See screenshots...

Last edited:
Can't Extract md5 ...

Has anyone had any problems extracting the stock MDC md5 file from the downloaded ZIP file? I've tried a few different downloads from different sources to make sure it wasn't a bad download. Also I've tried using 7zip, WinRAR, and the built in zip utility in Windows 7 to extract and all failed saying the file is corrupt. I tried asking the OP in a private message but no luck there so I thought I'd ask the group. If anyone could help out I'd appreciate the advice!

guitardoc64

Sep 26, 2007
Lake Charles,LA
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Has anyone had any problems extracting the stock MDC md5 file from the downloaded ZIP file? I've tried a few different downloads from different sources to make sure it wasn't a bad download. Also I've tried using 7zip, WinRAR, and the built in zip utility in Windows 7 to extract and all failed saying the file is corrupt. I tried asking the OP in a private message but no luck there so I thought I'd ask the group. If anyone could help out I'd appreciate the advice!

The .tar file is what odin needs to use. Download, don't extract.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gharb0129

May 10, 2013
This works great! I have MDL with root. However, I now have the purple scrolling issue. I didn't have it when I was on MDC. When I scroll up and down on a black background I see this purple color and it's very distracting. I've tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything. Wasn't the MDL supposed to fix this issue?

How can I fix it?

Last edited:

gharb0129

May 10, 2013
Try flashing crawrj's rooted stock. BTW I'm noticing MDL seems snappier and battery life is even better. I assume that it's partially due to the updates to the radio.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm on the Blu Kuban ROM. It's really bad because you can only see the purple hue on dark backgrounds. Blu Kuban is a dark themed ROM lol.

cris_epic

Jul 12, 2012
ok so i odined the stock mdc rom data wipe and then i updated the MDL update when it rebooted i checked about phone but only the build changed to MDL, baseband and software say MDC,
where did i go wrong? do i just odin the stock mdc kernal and re update to MDL? help please!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THANKS To Unknownforce, Sac23, Phil3759, runwithme, cmonsterf50, fgr, tallblazer124 and Chainfire!

For Lock Screen FIX Only Skip to Bottom of OP. You can Also Skip Flashing MK2 if you decide to do it this way.

This HOW TO will help you update your Sprint S4 to Stock Rooted NAE including NAE modem while keeping the MF9 bootloader.

MDC, MDL, MF9, MJA, MK2 and NAE are versions of the stock OS released by Samsung. MDC was first then MDL, MF9, MJA,MK2 and now NAE.

The recent MJA/MK2/NAE update was major in terms of firmware in that Knox was incorporated. (firmware on the GS4 is the bootloader, recovery and modem/radio. the ROM is the OS) Currently, once you update to the new MJA, MK2 or NAE bootloader you can't go back.

Why would you go back? Well Knox is a pain in the a$$ and trips the flash counter in the bootloader, which will most likely void your warranty. For crack flashers this is a nightmare.

Right now staying on the MF9 bootloader and flashing the stock NAE Rooted ROM from Unknownforce gives you no lock screen security settings. I have found a workaround that lets you keep the MF9 BL and flash the NAE Rooted ROM with lock screen security working. To go any further you must have NOT accepted the latest OTA and are still on MF9 Bootloader.

I am not responsible for anything happening to your phone. Proceed at your own risk. Basic knowledge in flashing via Odin and custom recoveries is required. If you follow this guide word for word you will not have any issues. Read entire post and download all files needed before starting.

ALL FILES Needed:
    Odin 3.07(Other versions may work. This is what I use): http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421&d=1341114315
    NAE Modem/Firmware - http://d-h.st/zWf
    Philz 6.08.9 Recovery (last one I tested) or later - http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/jflte
    Stock MK2 Rooted ROM Odex - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23321874045862533
    Stock NAE Rooted ROM - http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407572159 OR Sac23's v3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2673380
    SD Card Write Fix - https://www.mediafire.com/?tpnv6l67wdl98i2
    Hot Spot Mod (Choose NAE Odex) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653666

How To Video: thanks wwjoshdew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoM5P93m-yg

Step 1 Update modem and firmware to NAE

Download NAE modem and NAE firmware (with knox removed) thanks to Unknownforce (be sure to unzip before use)
    Follow his instructions for installation from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2338919

Step 2: Install Philz Recovery

Download Philz recovery version 6.08.9 MD5 (last one I tested)

Turn off your S4. Wait for a full power down. Boot into download mode (hold power and volume down, then volume up) Connect USB cable and boot Odin.

Using Odin v3.07 flash Philz Advanced CWM recovery in PDA mode with AUTO REBOOT UNCHECKED. When it says RESET hold the power button, and as soon as the device turns off hold volume up to boot into the new recovery.

Step 3: NAE ROM Install and Workaround for Lock Screen Security Settings

1. Back up Apps with Titanium Backup
    2. Boot into Philz Recovery
    3. Factory Reset>Wipe to install a new ROM
    4. Install the Stock MK2 Odex Rom
    5. Boot the Stock MK2 ROM. I did not set up any of my google accounts nor wifi, I just skipped until the pre-setup was finished. I then let the Sprint stuff install.
    6. Go to lockscreen settings and set up a pattern or pin lock.
    7. Reboot to recovery and wipe System, Cache, Preload and Dalvik Cache. DO NOT WIPE DATA.
    8. Install the NAE Stock Rooted Rom from Unknownforce OR Sac23's v3 ROM
    9. Reboot and profit.Your lock screen settings should now be functional.
    10.Flash SD Card write fix if needed. (most likely you will)
    11.(Optional) Install Hotspot mod.
    12. Install Busybox and ROM Toolbox from Google Play. Fix permissions In ROM Toolbox go to (Run Script) > (Fix Permissions).

*****Alternate Lock Screen Fix*****

Thanks to @tallblazer124 for this much easier way to get lock screen settings:

Another fix for lock screen which is very quick, is use root explorer or a similar app and edit the buildprop in the system folder.

You can just add # before

security.mdpp=None

in build prop and it will work.

The entry will then look like this

#security.mdpp=None

Then restart your phone and you should have all the lock screen options.

Sweet! I'll get an updated video out ASAP!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    I am now trying to add recovery, but it doesn't work. I tried so many times, it doesn't work for me. I did the 3x , plus the battery pull. I also tried both recovery, still it didn't stick. I will just wait.

Try this. After you flash a custom recovery, instead of doing the battery pull right away, hold down the power button until the device turns off. Then do your USB cable pull and battery pull. I had to do this for a friends S4.

Updated for NAE
    Hey guys check it out. I never updated to 4.3 cuz of all the issues, but I saw that unknown force updated his modem only.tar today, so I decided to give it a try in Odin. Had some trouble at first, it would pass in Odin, but when it rebooted the first boot would freeze on lock screen and reboot. When it finally got to the OS everything was still MF9. So I odined again, but unchecked auto reboot and f reset time. Then booted into recovery from download mode. Then selected power off from recovery. Finally, I pulled the battery. so next when I booted up, it said Android was updating, success. Checked in about device and voilà, mja baseband and software version on stock mf9. No Knox bootloader, and sound is working. Just thought I'd share my success. Now I'm gonna go play with my n5 seeing as to howi took the sim card from my s4 so I could activate it on sprint haha