GNEX Without service

Search This thread

babaduchi

Dec 21, 2010
LG V30
First I would like to thank everyone on this forum. Being a Noob to rooting I have learned so much here.
I will be picking up my new Galaxy S5 tomorrow and I want to keep my GNEX for a music player. I believe I will still be able to connect it to wifi and load it with music via USB. Any suggestions as to how I should configure it before I lose service?

I have Vanir ROM running 4.2.2 with DirtyV kernel.

yea I have been off of Verizon service for long time now(almost a year)
what I do is Google on airplane mode. then you can just turn on wifi(bluetooth.and wifi are able to be toggled on/off without affecting airplane mode)
I get actually good battery life on this thing that way lmao!
but yea, you can always change your setup later by just using wifi to download your Roms/kernels.
not having service won't affect ability to install roms.
but make sure you do toggle airplane mode on lol. cuz without service(i don't even have sim in anymore) it will be constantly trying to connect to a tower to get a signal, and will horribly drain your battery very fast.
(I've also removed BIP.apk and the stock messaging apk since they always show as running apps and I don't need them anymore I figured just remove them to free that ram up. you will have to remove them every time you flash a Rom though remember, if you decide to go this route as well)

Reactions: babaduchi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't have to do anything. It doesn't matter if you have service on it or not. It will still work on Wi-Fi

Sent from my Nexus 5
    yea I have been off of Verizon service for long time now(almost a year)
    what I do is Google on airplane mode. then you can just turn on wifi(bluetooth.and wifi are able to be toggled on/off without affecting airplane mode)
    I get actually good battery life on this thing that way lmao!
    but yea, you can always change your setup later by just using wifi to download your Roms/kernels.
    not having service won't affect ability to install roms.
    but make sure you do toggle airplane mode on lol. cuz without service(i don't even have sim in anymore) it will be constantly trying to connect to a tower to get a signal, and will horribly drain your battery very fast.
    (I've also removed BIP.apk and the stock messaging apk since they always show as running apps and I don't need them anymore I figured just remove them to free that ram up. you will have to remove them every time you flash a Rom though remember, if you decide to go this route as well)
    Someone made a flashable zip over at Rootz that disables everything that makes your device a cellular device.

The OP is for Jelly Bean, but comment #50 made one for Kit Kat.

I know it's taboo to link over there, but I don't see anything in the forum rules:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25016-modany-phone-any-rom-wi-fi-only-mode-disable-cell-radio/