FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,561 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th May 2019, 11:27 AM |#11581  
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary

Maybe I'm just stingy. I'm the kind of guy that goes and gets a $250 Walmart laptop and uses it until Microsoft drops the extended support for its OS 10 years later.

Anywho, I've compiled a small list of phones I might be interested in. I'm citing prices from my service provider since I will probably finance the phone in monthly payments.
Theoretical cost per year: $120

Google Pixel 3a 64GB
Expected Lifecycle: 3 years
Cost: $400
Theoretical cost per year: $133

iPhone XR 64GB
Expected Lifecycle: 5 years
Cost: $750
Theoretical cost per year: $150

As far as Google Phones go, I did check out the Nexus 6 as well as the original Pixel and Pixel XL and saw that they all are supported by LineageOS 16.0 with nightlies. Does that mean there's a chance that the just released Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL might get LineageOS in the future? (I guess that's a question to ask in the respective forum/thread).

My wife's and my Windows Phones lose support in December, and our most important apps are already announced for losing support around that same time as well. The plan is to get an idea of what phones we want this summer and then look for deals this upcoming Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

I think it's a safe bet that any phones directly from Google will continue to have good dev support for many years ... They are ( as it stands... But may change in future I suppose ) easy to unlock and play around with... And source codes are released... And nerds love them ... And nerds are the ones that develop ... So all good there! ( I say nerds with the utmost respect and love!! )

If I hadn't stumped for a pixel 3xl... I would be def getting a 3a ... For the money, the camera is simply amazing.

And I just cannot bring myself to use an iPhone... They are awesome phones and I recommend my family get them.. especially ones less tech savvy... But they are just too restrictive.... I mean... You seriously can't just have a bottom row of apps on your home screen?? WTF!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lu99ke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lu99ke Ad-Free

19th May 2019, 11:14 AM |#11582  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced android phone, one that's unlocked and easy to root and customize unrestricted. My last couple phones where on the straight talk network. I'd prefer to keep that service if possible but their compatibility can be hit and miss... What would be my best bet?
19th May 2019, 07:43 PM |#11583  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi there,

I'm looking for a 10inch Tablet:

rootable
aosp or los Rom available
WiFi
SD Slot
possibly cheap (as always ;])

Its supposed to be used as a Entertainmentsystem in my Car for the Kids. They dont Play Games on it but watch movies and listen to music.

What device would you recommend?
21st May 2019, 02:33 AM |#11584  
Flag Kingston
Thanks Meter: 195

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoerme

Hi there,

rootable
WiFi
SD Slot
possibly cheap (as always ;])

Its supposed to be used as a Entertainmentsystem in my Car for the Kids. They dont Play Games on it but watch movies and listen to music.

What device would you recommend?

Mi Tab 4
The Following User Says Thank You to kemdroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemdroid Ad-Free
24th May 2019, 10:27 AM |#11585  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoerme

rootable
WiFi
SD Slot

Great question! Anyone else have other recommendations than the Mi Tab 4?

I also need such a device. I was looking at recent Samsung tablets and was disappointed in the lack of development work. I have a Samsung Tab S4 (SM-T830), but I have to keep it on the stock OS for work. I would get another Tab S4 if there were any custom ROMs for it, but not yet, though recently it got TWRP.

I was looking at the Lenovo forms earlier. The Lenovo Tab 4 10" Plus, which is recent and apparently has good community support, is still sold as new, though a bit expensive at $350 USD. The 2016 Yoga Tab 3 Plus has offical Lineage OS support, but is no longer sold. It may be possible to find one used though.
The Following User Says Thank You to black.kahder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift black.kahder Ad-Free
26th May 2019, 06:34 AM |#11586  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Looking for the new phone options too. Requirements:

- dual sim
- major US + Eu bands, including LTE
- good DAC
- rootable
- waterproof, should survive wet pocket/fingers when skiing
- decent specs & camera

Ideas?
28th May 2019, 04:15 PM |#11587  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
What is the best phone under $700 I can buy right now with unlockable bootloader? I tried the Pixel 3a but didn't like it. Thank you.
31st May 2019, 12:48 AM |#11588  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysmoke99

What is the best phone under $700 I can buy right now with unlockable bootloader? I tried the Pixel 3a but didn't like it. Thank you.

What didn't you like about the 3a?
The Following User Says Thank You to mario24601 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mario24601 Ad-Free
1st June 2019, 03:39 AM |#11589  
Flag New Castle, PA
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
Try the Umidigi F1 Play. Massive battery. Great camera. Fast. Does gaming very well. I have the F1, which only differs by battery size and camera. I enjoy it and now my Mrs. wants one. She is so picky about devices she has threaten to divorce me if I pick a phone out for her. She picked up my F1 and was on it half a day and told me she wants one.

Android 9 with some nice specs screen, CPU, memory, and everything else. Sub $200 Octa Core, 128 GB phone. Worth the bucks in my opinion. Especially if it make my wife want one....
1st June 2019, 04:22 AM |#11590  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
If anyone wants a super cheap 7" tablet the Amazon Fire 7 (7th generation, codename austin) recently had it's bootloader broken and unlocked. It's normally $50 on Amazon (in the US), regularly goes on sale for $40 (it's on sale now), and goes on sale for $30 once or twice a year.

Amazon is about to release a new hardware version of this tablet (Gen 9, codename unknown yet) with a new SoC. It's not known if the current exploit used to unlock the old hardware will work on the new tablet, so make sure to get the Gen7 if you want to install a custom ROM.

There will probably be Prime Day here in the next month, so that might be a good time to buy. Set up a price alert on camelcamelcamel.com.

I got one a few weeks ago and have been playing with it. The hardware is low-end but it's a great value for a cheap tablet. I have been using it in my garage while working on my car to read PDFs and watch youtube vids without worry of breaking my expensive tablet or getting dirt/oil on it.

It only has 1GB of RAM, 16GB of flash. The screen is somewhat grainy because it's a low resolution, but it looks good for the price. Brightness levels on the low and high end are great. There's no light sensor on the front so it's all manual-brightness adjustment, which is slightly annoying but I don't change it often. Sound from the speaker is junky but sound over bluetooth and the headphone jack is very good. Wifi and bluetooth have been reliable for me. The cameras are fairly poor but are functional (no flash). The battery lasts a long time for me. It feels good to hold and has a nice body.

Unlocking requires a hardware hack, so you have to take off the back panel and short some pins, but it's not difficult if you have some talent. No soldiering required. Just stick a wire in the right spot while booting up and run a script over the USB port.

There's a custom TWRP on the latest release for recovery, which works great for me. I've been using the LineageOS release and the dev is active and the only bugs I know of is that the camera app crashes on video (other camera apps work fine), and AudioFX causes crash message sometimes (causes no real problem). I'm very happy with it.

There's only two custom ROMs available for it right now, plus a few custom FireOS ROMs. There is AOSP/Nexus and the other is unofficial LineageOS 12.1. Both releases are based on Android 5.1 because that's what the Amazon Fire OS is based on. It's possible there will be released to later Android versions later but no guarantee. There are other ROMs for this SoC with later releases, so it's not impossible for someone with dev experience. The dev for these ROMs has been applying security patches and fixing bugs, so I have some confidence things will continue to get better.

Here's the unlock and ROMs threads if interested:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...-fire-t3899860
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...-12-1-t3639447
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...my49f-t3300714
2nd June 2019, 07:57 AM |#11591  
Flag Velletri, RM
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Hi guys, watching among Nokias, which device is worth and we'll supported in XDA for ROMs and development?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)