FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,561 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th August 2014, 04:32 PM |#6571  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
S5 or G3?
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out which to get the G3 or the S5?

First I need to note that I'm coming from a blackberry but I have owned a the LG Gpad 8.3 for a while now and I do understand a lot of the developing stuff (rooting etc.). I have used the S4 for a while (mum's phone) and recently the S5 (dad's phone).
I'd love to get my hands on a G3 to try it out for a bit but it hasn't been released in my country yet ( LGs aren't too popular in Egypt) so I don't really have the option to try it in a store.

At first I was waiting for the "Galaxy f" but since its always been a hoax I'm just gonna grab another phone that would last like 2 years or something. First, I was leaning towards the S5 because of the better camera, smoothness, water resistance and development. But then I remembered the G3. I've been reading about them and they've been getting mixed reviews people saying this is faster and some others say that is faster so I'm just overwhelmed here.
I wanted a phone with a good camera since I never had a usable camera before and I've been told that the S5 wins by a small margin here but not a huge difference. I also like the water resistance in the S5 but I don't think I'll go swimming with it anytime soon but you can't really hate on a phone that's resistant to day to day spills ( doesn't occur a lot, but you can't be too safe lol).

Now about the smoothness, It makes sense that the S5 would have less stutter since both have the same processor and chipset but the G3 features a QHD screen, but touchwiz is extremely intensive so I'm not sure here. Also, a lot of people say that AMOLEDs are good but others are saying that the colours are more or less fake and hence not too good. Brightness level it's a lot better than LCDs though. Is the G3 usable in broad daylight? I'm not saying I'm gonna be watching a movie in the middle of the day but like normal usage such as phone calls and text messages will I be able to see everything properly? I can barely see the time in my LG Gpad but it's a known issue that the screen brightness is below par, how's the G3 though?

On the other hand, some points for the G3. Looks a lot better, the back buttons could prove fun. I'm loving the knock on my Gpad, prolly will too on the G3. The phone isn't with everyone here which makes it a lot more you unique. It has a QHD which honestly I don't think is anywhere near useful but it's a good brag . The 3GB ram should prove useful. I've read with people that it over heats and stuff but it's just opinions.
I have a couple of questions:
A. Did LG fix any problems through updates?
B. How's the modding part of the G3, I won't be using ROMs and such but just a couple of small mods here and there? Is the Bootloader unlocked for the international 32GB model? Does it even matter?

So what do you think is the better option here? I'm guessing the S5 is the safer boring risk free option and LG is the "could easily be great or sh*t" options.

27th August 2014, 04:45 PM |#6572  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusion

First I need to note that I'm coming from a blackberry but I have owned a the LG Gpad 8.3 for a while now and I do understand a lot of the developing stuff (rooting etc.). I have used the S4 for a while (mum's phone) and recently the S5 (dad's phone).
I'd love to get my hands on a G3 to try it out for a bit but it hasn't been released in my country yet ( LGs aren't too popular in Egypt) so I don't really have the option to try it in a store.

At first I was waiting for the "Galaxy f" but since its always been a hoax I'm just gonna grab another phone that would last like 2 years or something. First, I was leaning towards the S5 because of the better camera, smoothness, water resistance and development. But then I remembered the G3. I've been reading about them and they've been getting mixed reviews people saying this is faster and some others say that is faster so I'm just overwhelmed here.
I wanted a phone with a good camera since I never had a usable camera before and I've been told that the S5 wins by a small margin here but not a huge difference. I also like the water resistance in the S5 but I don't think I'll go swimming with it anytime soon but you can't really hate on a phone that's resistant to day to day spills ( doesn't occur a lot, but you can't be too safe lol).

Now about the smoothness, It makes sense that the S5 would have less stutter since both have the same processor and chipset but the G3 features a QHD screen, but touchwiz is extremely intensive so I'm not sure here. Also, a lot of people say that AMOLEDs are good but others are saying that the colours are more or less fake and hence not too good. Brightness level it's a lot better than LCDs though. Is the G3 usable in broad daylight? I'm not saying I'm gonna be watching a movie in the middle of the day but like normal usage such as phone calls and text messages will I be able to see everything properly? I can barely see the time in my LG Gpad but it's a known issue that the screen brightness is below par, how's the G3 though?

On the other hand, some points for the G3. Looks a lot better, the back buttons could prove fun. I'm loving the knock on my Gpad, prolly will too on the G3. The phone isn't with everyone here which makes it a lot more you unique. It has a QHD which honestly I don't think is anywhere near useful but it's a good brag . The 3GB ram should prove useful. I've read with people that it over heats and stuff but it's just opinions.
B. How's the modding part of the G3, I won't be using ROMs and such but just a couple of small mods here and there? Is the Bootloader unlocked for the international 32GB model? Does it even matter?

So what do you think is the better option here? I'm guessing the S5 is the safer boring risk free option and LG is the "could easily be great or sh*t" options.

Both are pretty smooth but both will stutter. The S5 from touchwiz and G3 from the 2k display but nothing imp. Cam is better on the S5 by 5%

Pros of S5.
Brighter screen
Better battery life
Cam

Cons
Touchwiz
Looks

Pros G3
Great screen in normal light conditions
Looks
Speaker
Ui (IMO )
Camera super fast with laser auto focus

Cons
Not-so-bright screen under Sun light
The fact you're in egypt means harder time finder accessories( am suffering from my G2 in Lebanon)
Battery life not good as s5

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app
27th August 2014, 06:34 PM |#6573  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Does anyone know a list of all the next generation high end smartphones that will come up in the next few months?

Im starting university in october and I want to buy a smartphone that will suit my studies (computer science) . I want it to have a high end camera, fast in terms of multitasking (switching between apps fast and get the job done quickly) and maybe with stock Android L .

My current samsung s3 is laggy now..especially all those apps coming from samsung like (gallery,camera,my files etc.) I dont know if they fixed it on the newer versions like the s4 or s5. But I think I want something different this time. Dont tell me about galaxy nexus I dont like it.

So yea I want the stock apps to be fast too..

Any phone recommendations?
27th August 2014, 08:47 PM |#6574  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotaki

Does anyone know a list of all the next generation high end smartphones that will come up in the next few months?

Im starting university in october and I want to buy a smartphone that will suit my studies (computer science) . I want it to have a high end camera, fast in terms of multitasking (switching between apps fast and get the job done quickly) and maybe with stock Android L .

My current samsung s3 is laggy now..especially all those apps coming from samsung like (gallery,camera,my files etc.) I dont know if they fixed it on the newer versions like the s4 or s5. But I think I want something different this time. Dont tell me about galaxy nexus I dont like it.

So yea I want the stock apps to be fast too..

Any phone recommendations?

Htc one m8

27th August 2014, 09:00 PM |#6575  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoss48

Nexus 5 google play i think its 300bucks maybe a bit more but very.

Where is a good place to buy it?
27th August 2014, 10:16 PM |#6576  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoss48

Both are pretty smooth but both will stutter. The S5 from touchwiz and G3 from the 2k display but nothing imp. Cam is better on the S5 by 5%

Pros of S5.
Brighter screen
Better battery life
Cam

Cons
Touchwiz
Looks

Pros G3
Great screen in normal light conditions
Looks
Speaker
Ui (IMO )
Camera super fast with laser auto focus

Cons
Not-so-bright screen under Sun light
The fact you're in egypt means harder time finder accessories( am suffering from my G2 in Lebanon)
Battery life not good as s5

Gonna be getting the accessories from the USA anyway I have a friend that travels nearly monthly so it isn't a HUGE problem. But the screen brightness thing in daylight. Like is it EXTREMELY bad or is calling and texting doable ? And how are the modding sides of each?

Thanks
27th August 2014, 11:59 PM |#6577  
Flag Maracaibo
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi guys, my dad its planning to buy my little brother a new smartphone he is into the whole android stuff and he is also very cheap so he searched the whole internet and found this LEAGOO LEAD 3 wich is a 4.5 inch smartphone with a quad core mediatek mtk 6582 that costs like 90 bucks... He asked for my opinion and I said no im actually not a big fan af these chinese smartphones i tried to find some roms or mods o anything but there isnt even a thread about this phone here on XDA ive been telling him (and trying to convince him) to buy the moto e... i mean i know it doesnt have a quad core and i know it doesnt have flash but its motorola wich for me means fast updates, developers behind it, roms, mods, etc... ive also been watching a couple videos on youtube and it seems to run just fine (HD video and high graphics games) what do you think?
28th August 2014, 12:17 AM |#6578  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshbozo

Hi guys, my dad its planning to buy my little brother a new smartphone he is into the whole android stuff and he is also very cheap so he searched the whole internet and found this LEAGOO LEAD 3 wich is a 4.5 inch smartphone with a quad core mediatek mtk 6582 that costs like 90 bucks... He asked for my opinion and I said no im actually not a big fan af these chinese smartphones i tried to find some roms or mods o anything but there isnt even a thread about this phone here on XDA ive been telling him (and trying to convince him) to buy the moto e... i mean i know it doesnt have a quad core and i know it doesnt have flash but its motorola wich for me means fast updates, developers behind it, roms, mods, etc... ive also been watching a couple videos on youtube and it seems to run just fine (HD video and high graphics games) what do you think?

You should take a look at Xiaomi Red Rice 1s, ZTE Redbull and Lenovo A806/S850. They are a bit more expensive, but they are all good manufacturers and in my opinion a wiser choice. Hope it helps

And now my question. Which phone would you buy? Lenovo K910 or ZTE Grand SII? I know that the Grand S is better, but the design is too similar to my current phone (V987) and I would like to change. Here are some questions:

Lenovo:

- I have been reading the forums and it seems there aren't a lot of custom roms. Ain't it true? Also, no MIUI, right?
- Battery? How many screen hours do you get?

ZTE:

- Build quality?
- Battery?
- Earphones? My v987 has an especial jack and most earphones won't sound right. Does the same happen in this phone?

If you have some other suggestions please let me know. 5'5 inches min. Thanks in advance.
28th August 2014, 11:41 AM |#6579  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boty313

Where is a good place to buy it?

Play store

28th August 2014, 01:26 PM |#6580  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusion

Why only those 2 as choice?
Add the OnePlus one into your comparison. And you see that that is the best choice! Better specs. Better rom. (no lags like the s5 or the lg3)
And better price! 299 dollar!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn OnePlus One 64GB
28th August 2014, 01:50 PM |#6581  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by innomi

Why only those 2 as choice?
Add the OnePlus one into your comparison. And you see that that is the best choice! Better specs. Better rom. (no lags like the s5 or the lg3)
And better price! 299 dollar!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn OnePlus One 64GB

U cant get the One plus one easily not to mention he lives in eygpt where covers are hard to find.
And they are similarly spec'd

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)