[CONFIRMED] --> *** X10A users: Android 2.1 Update works for X10a ***

Search This thread

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
I am not so sure about the world generic having all the bands. Not all frequency bands are available everywhere. People who are on the more rural areas won't. The reports of Edge service instead of 3G are increasing to my reading of the posts. People in good coverage areas don't see a problem. It's likely due to the missing network frequency.

Sent from my X10a using XDA App

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
Based on my prior experience with SE phones non android :

You will flash to a generic NAM if you have a generic NAM installed.

I used divinci team to go to generic versions from the branded products and SEUS always updated to newer versions of the same type.

brat81

I have no idea why people are reporting problem with flashing or using 2.1 x10i on a x10a i installed it as soon as the flash tool was fixed by bin4ry and haven't had a single issue.
To all those complain about 3g going to H, H is better.

3g only gives you speeds upto 384kbps?
H (hspda) gives you speeds between 3.2mbps to 14.4mbps
So stop sooking and enjoy the faster internets

Sent from my X10a with 2.1

nekkidtruth

Jun 2, 2010
I have no idea why people are reporting problem with flashing or using 2.1 x10i on a x10a i installed it as soon as the flash tool was fixed by bin4ry and haven't had a single issue.

Although it's true H is "better", it doesn't mean it's working better. For instance, my phone was able to hit 4Mb/per second in 1.6 under 3G. Now under 2.1 and "H", I'm lucky to even get 2Mb/ per second. So yes, there is a problem.

Jul 18, 2010
There's one thing I noticed since I installed Nordic 2.1 though I don't know if this happens to everyone in N.A. In an area where I used to get "3G" and "E" sporadically when I had R2BA026, now I only get "H", occasionally "3G" and no "E". Like when I'm driving down I-5, I would get "H" and everything is fine and then when it turns to "3G" i'll see the loading animation for a few minutes then it'll stop loading and it will say something like "connection error". That's one difference I noticed although I don't care too much about Edge anyway. Might matter to some people here.

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
Curiously enough, overall, I'm getting BETTER RECEPTION :confused:

@MBrunner:

It must be your settings mate, do this:

- Call your provider from another phone
- Tell 'em "a friend deleted your internet settings"
- He'll tell you how to re-configure your internet settings
- Say "thanks" and hang up
- Reboot
- Test your internet
- Find this thread
- Tell us what happened

PS: I'm not kidding, well, yes I'm kidding, but the point is you "may" think you configured your internet settings correctly, but you may not...

saltorio

Feb 20, 2009
Ottawa, ON
www.NutsNGum.net
Although it's true H is "better", it doesn't mean it's working better. For instance, my phone was able to hit 4Mb/per second in 1.6 under 3G. Now under 2.1 and "H", I'm lucky to even get 2Mb/ per second. So yes, there is a problem.

What carrier you with? And what's your APN settings?

I'm with Rogers, and here's what I've got:

NAME: Rogers Internet
APN*: rogers-core-appl1.apn
PROXY: <not set>
PORT: <not set>
USERNAME: <not set>
PASSWORD: <not set>
SERVER: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMSC PROXY: 10.128.10.69
MMSC PORT: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN TYPE: <not set>

* Alternatively, "internet.com" can be used as an APN, though the above is the better option.

Now I hadn't run SpeedTest in a long time on my X10, so no idea how my numbers now compare to under 1.6. Web seems to be the same though.

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro

You are right to defend what you believe.

To back it up, someone needs to go all around and look at the Service Menu to check what frequency is being used when they are having problems, and if they can find areas with each of the bands and connect without issues. it sounds like the 3G/H issues are due to attempting to connect to a band that you're not authorized to and the phone gets a wrong network reject and tries to connect to the H instead.

As for your statement above? I had a problem flashing and my phone wouldn't complete the firmware update and was left in a TOTALLY UNUSABLE STATE. I could not REFLASH. I had to RMA my phone after giving it 12 hours more trying various suggestions in the threads. Thankfully living in a large metropolitan area, I was able to go to the a physical place to do it a few hours later. And yes, it was with the original flasher and script, and now Bin4ry has figured out what he believes is the problem and put in a correction, I think that is very good.

But the instructions are not always clear, and precise and there is no guarantee of success. There are posts that say you should take the SIM and SD card out of the unit to flash. I don't know about he SIM, but taking the SD card out in the past SEUS flashes saved your personal data. (I switched cards.) But that wouldn't have saved my SMS messages since the new SMS doesn't support the old format.

A statement that you should reset your phone to the defaults in the beginning wouldn't have been a bad thing, after all DD-WRT had now moved to a full reset prior to update mind-set. A progress bar/statement would have been more reassuring to NOOBs like me, frankly, I flashed my phone for 10+ minutes before pulling the connection, and it wasn't because it was USB 1 or 1.1. But seeing the same identical 4 statements hundreds of times a minute could mean it's looping. Hey, is there a minimum CPU? I noted that SEUS now says P4 3.6Ghz or faster.

I really and truly want a Generic NAM firmware. I don't want to feel like I'm a second class customer on AT&T. I want HSPDA speeds that the phone is capable of and they lock me out of. I want to be able to choose SE Sync vs Google Sync vs AT&T Sync. I don't want AT&T's 'pay us more money' applications. I know I'll lose the Mobile TV stuff as I have on my past SE Phones, but I don't have a need to see Comedy Central or MTV on my phone. I had to switch from a unlimited data plan that I used with a SE phone that I could tether to my laptop to a more expensive limited data plan to get this phone. And just like my old tether if I need to do so, though with gmail et al on the phone, I may not need to as much.

nekkidtruth

Jun 2, 2010

* Alternatively, "internet.com" can be used as an APN, though the above is the better option.

Now I hadn't run SpeedTest in a long time on my X10, so no idea how my numbers now compare to under 1.6. Web seems to be the same though.

Thanks for the info, but it's identical to what I have. I'm also very computer savvy and have flashed my phone in the past. There is definitely an issue, I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what it is exactly. As I stated, I used to get 3G and only 3G. My area is fantastic for the signal. Since going to 2.1 I get H and the speed is horrendous. I have noticed that sometimes the phone says 3G, but the moment I try to transfer any sort of data it automatically switched to H.

It could very well be an issue with the bands. Either way, I just wanted to express to those who "have no issues at all" that there are in fact issues. Just because you may not be experiencing them specifically, does not mean they don't exist.

TheLegace

Sep 20, 2008
The Global generic file seems to work absolutely perfectly for me, there was some issues with rooting, but that was also simple(in titanium go to problems and get new busybox). EDIT: Looks like data is not running at full speed. And I do not know how to fix it....

I have X10a, in Canada with Rogers.

Thanks.
TheLegace.

Last edited:

ParrotSquawk

Aug 28, 2007
Jupiter, FL
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Like Stan, I too want a phone that works primarily as a phone and let ME clutter it up with crap. Don't preload me with bloatware.

I want 2.1 because many fine apps require 2.x to run but I don't like getting the message I got from ATT yesterday: "You are about to exceed your 20GB data limit for the month" because I can't sync my calendar, mail or contacts with my PC.

(I also thought my phone was bricked for about 3 hours today.)

Has anyone found a way to offer a cleaned 2.1 NAM HSDPA ROM yet?

Followup:

after 2 hours of futzing around, I got the thing rooted at 1am.

Since I couldn't get a clean ROM, is there a way to remove the bloatware that comes with the phone (stuff that I will probably never use or that kills the phone's performance/battery life?)

Last edited:

picaron1

Jul 29, 2010
update funciona.

Test in El Salvador all is't ok

Step 1 - Make Backup of all data and systen Setting (this for make backup of APN)
Step 2 - This Update (make some changes as add in PATH the JRE location and put manually ID of dispositive)
Step 3 - Make this update too (this is GLOBAL UPDATE erase all nordic, but is necesarry step 2)

Enjoy.

Thank to the Genius.

Last edited:

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
Test in El Salvador all is't ok

Step 1 - Make Backup of all data and systen Setting (this for make backup of APN)
Step 2 - This Update (make some changes as add in PATH the JRE location and put manually ID of dispositive)
Step 3 - Make this update too (this is GLOBAL UPDATE erase all nordic, but is necesarry step 2)

Enjoy.

Thank to the Genius.

SV ??

Are you on Claro (1900MHz) or Tigo (850MHz) ??

jimbo77

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I took the Global firmware and is working pretty cool for me... I was having connection issues with the Nordic FW, so I decided to reflash and now I have a solid internet connection with Claro Guatemala... since 3 days ago

TheLegace

Sep 20, 2008

Thank you for the settings, they work great on my phone. I was using internet.com APN and I was getting speeds of about .7Mbit, now I get about 2.5Mbit which is great from speed test, the only real problem now is the gay 512MB limit I have, but I digress.

Thanks.
TheLegace.

stan.s

Aug 29, 2010
NYC metro
I have debranded X10a and rooted 1.6. I read your tutorial on forum. Just a question is this for X10a? Would my phone change to X10a or x10i? Is there any chance to brick the phone? Does it removes all the apps? And my root? Please let me know thanks

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

If you have a debranded phone and are already running NAM or LAM generic, you should just wait for SEUS to update you. That is the safest way to go since it will walk you through a full backup of your phone.

The answer to your all your questions is YES. Reflashing will re-set the phone to the basic supplied apps from SE, anything you installed will be lost, but not forgotten and the market will tell you that you "Purchased" applications in the "Download" section, and allow you to reinstall without buying it again. Apps that were free won't be listed, and you will have to find them again. Apps you sideloaded won't be found, but you have them on your PC.

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
That thing with "H" and "3G" has been discussed many times before. Let me tell you a couple of things about Rogers' 3G network and the way it is configured.

First of all - 3G stands for UMTS, while H stands for HSPA (so called 3.5G). Look on HSPA and UMTS the same way EDGE and GPRS on the previous generation - 2G network. UMTS max speed is 384kbps while HSPA can span up to 7.2Mbps (and more if radio supports the HSPA+ standard). Most Rogers branded phones are configured to display 3G and never H on the connection status simply because 3G is the marketing term and H only spells confusion among people who don't read forums like this one :).

Second important thing - Rogers 3G network (unlike BELLUS) is configured to fall back to UMTS when there is no data transmission in order to conserve battery. Once data starts flowing thru, connection switches to HSPA to facilitate faster data transfers. Phones configured to distinguish UMTS and HSPA indicate this by changing between '3G' and 'H' on the connection status display.

Now I wonder if the official Rogers 2.1 firmware for X10 will have the display indicator locked to show 3G no matter UMTS or HSPA connection, once it is released.

I am using the global world 2.1 firmware with my X10a - 3G/H switching behaves just like on any other of my 3G phones I used on Rogers network and reports similar speed test results when tested at same conditions.

Indeed looks like Sony unified baseband drivers so they support both X10i and X10a phones.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There have been multiple comments on here that both confirm that the X10i and X10a firmware work fine on the X10a hardware. I am using the X10a world generic on my AT&T X10a.