[Q] Incredible slow, frequently frozen Xperia SP - What to do..

Search This thread

Blackvibes

Jan 4, 2010
Papendrecht
iSCS.nl
Hey guys,

I've upgraded from a Xperia Arc to a Xperia SP, hoping for a speed upgrade, going from a 1.0Ghz single core to a 1.5ghz dual core. (a Z(1) was not an option). Strangely, out of the box, the thing felt kinda slow/laggy but I thought "let's give it a try".

Now almost two months later, things haven't been any better. In fact, it regularly freezes completely and while writing this post, I can't even turn it on anymore. I closed the screen, but it doesn't goes on anymore (with 83% battery) .. But that's a different issue.

I'm really hoping what could fix this issue. I'm preparing for a factory reset, let's hope that fixes everything. Yet I'd ask: What more can I do than a complete factory reset. (Does it matters doing a factory reset from inside the phone (@ options > security/storage), the boot loader, or when it's connected to my PC?

I hope someone knows a solution!

Wish I could upgrade to Cyanogenmod, but that would void my warranty (right?), which is absolutely not an option.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2013
Dhaka
Suggestions

First of all,
Are you on Android 4.3 or 4.1.2?
If you are on 4.3, it is expected to be a little laggy or buggy (No offence intended)
For this, what you could do is wait for a new update or downgrade to 4.1.2.
There is also another fix to make your phone a little less laggy.
For that you need to root your phone and edit the build.prop.
Second of all, you can try CyanogenMod without voiding your warranty.
For that you have to backup your TA and then unlock the bootloader. That is how you can use CyanogenMod and then again restore your TA when you are going to a Sony Centre or something like that.
A factory reset may solve somethings but not all. :crying:

Blackvibes

Jan 4, 2010
Papendrecht
iSCS.nl
Just factory resetted and it freezes on pretty much everything I do.. Just a simple swipe down to open the notification bar freezes the phone for about 2 seconds. Even a Nokia 3310 could handle these simple tasks quicker.. :s

Oh and I'm on 4.3 right now.

Last edited:

Nanostray

Oct 30, 2012
Just factory resetted and it freezes on pretty much everything I do.. Just a simple swipe down to open the notification bar freezes the phone for about 2 seconds. Even a Nokia 3310 could handle these simple tasks quicker.. :s

Oh and I'm on 4.3 right now.

Flash 4.1.2. I got no lags what so ever

Blackvibes

Jan 4, 2010
Papendrecht
iSCS.nl
Flash 4.1.2. I got no lags what so ever

I updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3 in the hope it got better, but it got worse. However, 4.1.2 was a pain in the ass to, where it hangs all the time, taking the keyboard to show up a few seconds (@ SMS / playstore / else) (default and Swiftkey) or just opening the notification tray..

So simply flashing 4.1.2. would not solve it, I'm afraid.

Nanostray

Oct 30, 2012
I updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3 in the hope it got better, but it got worse. However, 4.1.2 was a pain in the ass to, where it hangs all the time, taking the keyboard to show up a few seconds (@ SMS / playstore / else) (default and Swiftkey) or just opening the notification tray..

So simply flashing 4.1.2. would not solve it, I'm afraid.

Maybe use another tft of the .254 than the one you used this time?

Blackvibes

Jan 4, 2010
Papendrecht
iSCS.nl
Maybe use another tft of the .254 than the one you used this time?

I'm kinda unsure what you mean. I'm currently on 4.3 -> .266 (build number right?). This one is still unrooted and, even though someone spoke about backing up the TA, since this is not my phone, but my girlfriend's, I'm not sure if I want to dare that.

If it was my owns, that wouldn't be a problem..

Nanostray

Oct 30, 2012
I'm kinda unsure what you mean. I'm currently on 4.3 -> .266 (build number right?). This one is still unrooted and, even though someone spoke about backing up the TA, since this is not my phone, but my girlfriend's, I'm not sure if I want to dare that.

If it was my owns, that wouldn't be a problem..

backing up TA means unlocking your bootloader so you can flash a custom kernel. 4.3 is indeed .266, but in my opinion you better flash a 4.1.2 stock rom (build number .254)

zenug

Jul 6, 2013
intolerable

Here the same thing, updated to version 4.3 and the bugs started ... When my phone battery was charging the night, the screen would shut down and forced me to use the physical reset button. Doomlord installed Kernel 0.5, was even worse, I'm thinking of going back to 4.1, even with the bugs it had, I could still use the phone ...

Let me tell you something,many of my friends that using sony,they will complained something was wrong like self restart,becoming typo while charging(touchscreen loses accuracy) and laggy+freezing when they was bought it not more than 2 weeks,and then they don't feel these problem anymore after about 2 months,i think you should go to sony service center,1.3 Ghz dualcore shouldn't freezing,it might a hardware problem or buggy software,hope this help,dont forget to click thanks ;) sorry im just need thanks :D

Sent from my N986 using xda premium