Unlocking the boot loader in the new Xperia™ smartphones

Search This thread

Blomkungen

Mar 3, 2011
As I said a week ago this was in the works

Wam bam thank you mam SE will rock this year if they keep going this direction

tnleeuw

Aug 14, 2009
I saw the news -- really good move from S-E!

This and their promise to give the X10 an update to 2.3.3 are signs that S-E is really improving and taking their customers serious, and that they want to win in the Android race!

I'm excited that S-E is showing signs that of wanting to work WITH and FOR their customers (you know, the ones who buy their phones, as opposed to operators) and not AGAINST, as many other manufactures...

Straightflush

Dec 15, 2009
One thing I'm wondering is, is this only happening with factory unlocked phones, or will it work if we buy a locked phone first, and then din unlock after

Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA App

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
One thing I'm wondering is, is this only happening with factory unlocked phones, or will it work if we buy a locked phone first, and then din unlock after

Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA App

All phones will have a locked bootloader by default. Unbranded and simlock-free phones will be unlockable through some tool Sony Ericsson will release (probably).
You can check if your device is unlockable by connecting it to fastboot. If fastboot recognizes your phone, you will be able to unlock it when Sony Ericsson releases its tool.

Pawnty

Sep 30, 2010
Does Rogers usually simlock their phones and/or put custom apps on Android devices? If yes: you will not have a permanently locked bootloader. Only unbranded handsets without simlock will be unlockable.
Yeah, Rogers usually adds a number of their own apps and they change the bootscreen to some crap Rogers one instead of the stock one.

kipue

Sep 3, 2009
Hong Kong
Well, was on the fence about the Arc, but now I am getting it...
Will jump to dual core later this year, I just love the design of this one ^^

Time to go back to SE it seems!

Straightflush

Dec 15, 2009
hopefully it will be possible at some point to make the phone think it is the same as the unlocked ones... I will keep checking, because since I'm using a f'in htc magic right now. My phone is great, running cyanogen and everything, but still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too old, I kinda need one, but want something I can have fun with...

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Got this from Sony Ericsson:
To enable this, we will later launch a web service where an unlock boot loader key can be retrieved by entering your IMEI. This key will be used in Fastboot where you perform the actual unlock boot loader sequence. A more detailed instruction will be provided later, when this service is available.

Depending on the original configuration of your phone, it will be either be possible or not possible to unlock the boot loader. No phone updates are required to enable this functionality.

So, if you provide an IMEI of a permanently locked phone, you will not get an unlock code, and even if you would get one, it wouldn't work. Looks like a pretty foolproof way!

george232

Mar 6, 2011
At least we already have 2.3 and the software seems to be relatively stable and snappy. I don't need a custom rom yet.

SE-Naz

Jun 28, 2008
I have IE6 earphones and they sound awesome with the phone... better then the iPhone 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. download fastboot.zip (www_._share_._cx/files/216783534118/Fastboot.zip.html)
    2. unzip fastboot.zip
    3. power off phone
    4. press and keep pressed menu key and plug in usb cable, notification led should be blue now
    5. open cmd.exe
    6. cd to the directory where fastboot.exe has been unzipped to
    7. type "fastboot devices" and hit return
    8. watch what happens

if you see something alphanumeric (see attachment) plus "fastboot" then you're lucky, your bootloader can be unlocked. :)

if nothing happened, try installing PdaNet (www_._junefabrics_._com/android/download.php) and retry. its installer comes with the needed driver files.
    still nothing happened, your bootloader cannot been unlocked the official semc method :(

for me it worked, connection to fastboot was successful :)

(sorry about the "_" in the urls, i'be been only a xda-reader all the time, that's my first post, no urls allowed -.-)
    All phones will have a locked bootloader by default. Unbranded and simlock-free phones will be unlockable through some tool Sony Ericsson will release (probably).
    You can check if your device is unlockable by connecting it to fastboot. If fastboot recognizes your phone, you will be able to unlock it when Sony Ericsson releases its tool.

sorry for dump question but how to connect my phone to fastboot ? :/
    I think you're reading a little too much into things. The Bootloader is NOT yet unlocked. As you can see in my previous screen, "fastboot oem unlock" (which would unlock the bootloader) fails due to the missing key. "fastboot devices" ONLY SHOWS the devices that reply to the fastboot command, which usually only developer (i.e. unlockable) devices do.
    How to properly connect to fastboot? My pops all the time:

but I have them:

So where is the problem ??

do not start fastboot.exe, do it like is here
    if you need more help PM me so i can explain you in your language :)