[ROM] Native Ubuntu on the Epic!

148 posts
Thanks Meter: 209

By DrGit, Senior Member on 6th April 2012, 06:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th May 2012, 06:49 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Not sure if you saw this but it looks like their is work on an open source driver. This is for the graphics hardware

https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to colk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift colk Ad-Free

14th May 2012, 07:27 PM |#62  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by colk

Not sure if you saw this but it looks like their is work on an open source driver. This is for the graphics hardware

https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki

Sadly, the Epic uses the S5PC110 core with PowerVR SGX graphics, so this driver won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgl9

Things I've found wrong:
- wifi is being compiled as a module, so I changed to built-in at least for now
- wifi firmware path expect /system root, which it shouldn't

The firmware can't be included in the kernel due to the proprietary license, that's why it has to be a module.
Try copying (adb pull) /system/vendor/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin and /system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt to /lib/firmware on your rootfs, then add this to /etc/modules:
Code:
bcm4329 iface_name=wlan0 firmware_path=/lib/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin nvram_path=/lib/firmware/nvram_net.txt
Quote:

- orientation of X is portrait when it should be landscape

See the commented-out lines in X11.txt in the OP.
Quote:

- quite a few audio drivers are being compiled in which I'm sure is messing up the audio support

It has nothing to do with the audio drivers being built-in - PulseAudio doesn't set up the mixer paths properly, which is the driver/ALSA's fault. Right now, you have to manually set the playback path with alsamixer. I still don't get sound in any apps. For example, Audacious says "lsync failed," and other apps appear to start playing sound but they get underruns. Well, more like 100% underrun and 0% sound :/
Quote:

- keyboard function keys aren't working, but I think theres a fix for this (custom keymap needed)

I started writing a kernel keymap ("loadkeys" format), but I don't think X uses those settings. Writing XKB layouts is painful, so I just went with an incomplete kernel keymap, hence no symbol keys.
Quote:

- usb networking support wasn't built in which is useful when wifi isn't working

USB networking wasn't built in because the machine code complains if you try to replace the non-standard Android USB function driver with Linux USB "gadget". Adding USB networking to the Android function driver may work, but it's more complicated to set up outside of Android.
15th May 2012, 06:03 PM |#63  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
http://code.google.com/p/gpu-powervr...rPowerVRSGX540

Might help as well?
16th May 2012, 12:26 PM |#64  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Thanks for the feedback gTan64, it was quite helpful. I will soon be putting out an ubuntu build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTan64

Sadly, the Epic uses the S5PC110 core with PowerVR SGX graphics, so this driver won't work.

The firmware can't be included in the kernel due to the proprietary license, that's why it has to be a module.
Try copying (adb pull) /system/vendor/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin and /system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt to /lib/firmware on your rootfs, then add this to /etc/modules:

Code:
bcm4329 iface_name=wlan0 firmware_path=/lib/firmware/fw_bcm4329.bin nvram_path=/lib/firmware/nvram_net.txt
See the commented-out lines in X11.txt in the OP.

It has nothing to do with the audio drivers being built-in - PulseAudio doesn't set up the mixer paths properly, which is the driver/ALSA's fault. Right now, you have to manually set the playback path with alsamixer. I still don't get sound in any apps. For example, Audacious says "lsync failed," and other apps appear to start playing sound but they get underruns. Well, more like 100% underrun and 0% sound :/

I started writing a kernel keymap ("loadkeys" format), but I don't think X uses those settings. Writing XKB layouts is painful, so I just went with an incomplete kernel keymap, hence no symbol keys.

USB networking wasn't built in because the machine code complains if you try to replace the non-standard Android USB function driver with Linux USB "gadget". Adding USB networking to the Android function driver may work, but it's more complicated to set up outside of Android.

18th May 2012, 10:22 AM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Posted full ubuntu build in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1660736

UPDATE: I'm still working on it just busy, version 0.2 to come soon.
23rd March 2013, 08:46 PM |#66  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Got Ubuntu 13.04 running and finally sorted out the touchscreen rotation via the X Input Coordinate Transformation Matrix.
I'm still working on sound and getting the cameras to work, and I'm working with a new kernel base since my Github got too messy and outdated.

This could be more fun than Ubuntu Touch since actual existing apps will run on it!
Sorry for bumping my oooold post - I wish I had more exciting news for you, but at least I'm still working on it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrGit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGit Ad-Free
23rd March 2013, 10:38 PM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Re: [ROM] Native Ubuntu on the Epic!
Would love to see a update to this with a step by step how to ...been following this and the other thread since there creation and have been under the impression that development was dead in the water with native ubuntu runnning on our epic 4g.
Keep up the good work
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
27th March 2013, 06:43 AM |#68  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emceeskwaird

Would love to see a update to this with a step by step how to ...been following this and the other thread since there creation and have been under the impression that development was dead in the water with native ubuntu runnning on our epic 4g.
Keep up the good work
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

The step-by-step tutorial I wrote wasn't easy enough for you? I'll keep trying to simplifying it, and maybe I'll put up a pre-built filesystem too.
Anyway, I got sound to work! I'm cleaning up my patches and preparing the pre-built kernel, which should be up shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrGit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGit Ad-Free
27th March 2013, 07:10 AM |#69  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Uploaded my patches and a pre-built kernel. Test away!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrGit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrGit Ad-Free
26th April 2013, 02:13 AM |#70  
Flag Oakley
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Where do I get the Ubuntu zip file? Am I required to build it?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
26th April 2013, 08:19 PM |#71  
Flag Reno
Thanks Meter: 124

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatedeadpeople

Where do I get the Ubuntu zip file? Am I required to build it?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

I'm telling you kindly to read the OP. The steps to install Ubuntu on your Epic are there, which includes downloading and extracting the files needed. And your PC has to have a Linux distro in order to do this anyway.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, kernel, linux, rom, ubuntu

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)