Thanks Meter: 20

By abraxo, Senior Member on 9th May 2014, 07:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th May 2014, 04:31 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggums

Haha wow. Not even sure where to start. For one it's a numbers game, throw the apps out there and maybe %10 will use it, maybe even %1. That's still more people putting money in their pocket than previously. Most of the users don't care about bloatware, if anything they view it as ATT offering them more than they got originally and at most a minor annoyance. So long as it doesn't brick their device they don't care, at most they just won't use it. The idea that "if you want it then find it on the market, and then choose ours over the competition" is just silly, why leave it to chance when you can increase your odds by putting your app on their phone directly in their face? %99.9 of users are frustrated by the addition of more bloatware or are infuriated by having it at all? we all know that's not even close to true, I've never heard a friend complain that the update to their phone added more apps. If you really think any of the higher-ups are reading your rant you're delusional. Go ahead and spam them, and again if you really think that goes directly to their inbox, you're delusional. Sure it will be addressed by someone, but it won't be any of the higher ups your trying to contact. Do you really think they're tech savvy enough to even know what you're talking about? They're put in place because they know how to manage multi-billion dollar companies, not because they know the ins and outs of a cell phone.

"shoved down their throats" is a bit of an exaggeration. They load the app on the phones, it's not like it cripples the device or stops the device from functioning unless you use it. The S5 is still a rockstar even with the bloat. I do concur that most of us here are probably the people that relatives/family go to for phone advice. However guarantee neither of my parents or any relative for that matter would care about a phone having bloatware. They want a phone that will serve a purpose and maybe they can play some games on it.

They are protecting their assets. The more options you have to use a competing service the more money they lose. reduce the ability to use the competitor and you rid yourself of that chance.

That all being said I am not a fan of bloatware, at all. Nor am I agreeing with their tactics. But step into reality. They want to maximize profits and get their users to use their apps so it can be billed to them.

I do have another theory for how much the phones are locked down these days. If anyone has followed the news; they're trying to head off phone thefts, they've spiraled out of control. Easiest way to prevent someone from stealing a phone? make sure that even if it is stolen, it can't be used anywhere because it's locked down like fort knox (pun sort of intended :-p )

Sorry for any feathers i've ruffled.

not at all (feathers ruffled). We just disagree is all. I've asked around and everyone (more non techs, non xda folks) I have spoken with do not associate app loyalty or even pay attention to the developer of the app with carrier loyalty. They want coverage, price, customer service, etc from the carriers. Im 46 and so grew up with emerging tech, have an MBA, and did very well predicting trends in the tech market and profiting from many IPO's. Including AT&T. And De La Vega is very tech savy btw.
In the end though lets just agree to disagree as we really do need to stay on track of the OP which was of course all about rants due to bloatware in the OTA.

10th May 2014, 05:17 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821

As above. Your looking at the small picture. Those wishes and preferences are not only those of XDA.
It's almost laughable that you are saying that a company that eliminates bloatware and possibly gives an opportunity for root would be out of business soon.
A very small example would be the fact that people are flocking to a carrier with substantially less coverage and reliability (T-Mo) because of wifi calling. A feature that AT&T and Verizon eliminated for seemingly no reason. Why? because a handful of people out of 10's of thousands might only use the device for free wifi calls versus buying service from them? How many people are going to buy a high end device averaging 650.00 to do that with? So your telling me that if AT&T released an update tomorrow that allowed easy rooting or at least got rid of bloatware and turned on wifi calling, that people would not flock to AT&T? Big picture...

The big picture is that companies are in business to provide a return to their shareholders. There are lots of ways AT&T could get people to flock to them, but that is not why they are in business. Yet still, I think what you suggest would net AT&T very few, if any customers. I think a very, very small percentage of the consumers care about the things you are complaining about. One piece of evidence is that hardly anyone buys the phones that are easily rooted, and have no bloatware (e.g., the Nexus and Google Play editions). There are other factors, but those phones represent well under 10% of android market share. The reason is that people like "stuff" on their phone. A lot people see what you see as bloatware as added features. Others, myself included, may not see any value added, but realize it is there if I want it (e.g., Samsung Watchon) and unwanted software (e.g., Yellow Pages) can be disabled in 10 seconds and you never see it again. Just like, when I go to a restaurant, I usually don't add salt to my food (I assume the chef has seasoned it appropriately). I don't go complain to the restaurant owner because there if salt and pepper on the table.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GeorgeP Ad-Free
10th May 2014, 07:03 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
""There are lots of ways AT&T could get people to flock to them, but that is not why they are in business.""

LOL
10th May 2014, 08:33 PM |#24  
Flag atlantic city
Thanks Meter: 546

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc

Thanks. New kernel, baseband and build. Took 5 seconds to disable the apps. Happy camper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

The SE for android has changed too look at the date,I did the OTA too phone seems quicker,not that it wasn't ,also got the highest score yet on antutu not that it matters,and the two apps only add up to around 24 mbs of the 46 that the do was so other things took place,just hope it doesn't effect anything if and when root is found.

SENT FROM DJMOUSES SM-G900A
And I did not loose Any data from my apps I read sone one lost shealth data ,were you using ART runtime if so you will lose data when switching from ART to dalivk it wipes your cache
11th May 2014, 03:48 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by psloan

Updated and lost my s health data. All my steps lost 😂

mine lost 1 of them, my very first one is still saved.

Also i noticed slightly quicker screen-on lag which is a big plus. just disable the bloatware, no big deal folks
11th May 2014, 03:10 PM |#26  
Flag Morrisville
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Is the external SD card permission issue fixed with new OTA?
11th May 2014, 03:59 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
I postponed the update and when I woke up today the update was forced through. Not cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
11th May 2014, 04:54 PM |#28  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 2,912

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmouse

The SE for android has changed too look at the date,I did the OTA too phone seems quicker,not that it wasn't ,also got the highest score yet on antutu not that it matters,and the two apps only add up to around 24 mbs of the 46 that the do was so other things took place,just hope it doesn't effect anything if and when root is found.

SENT FROM DJMOUSES SM-G900A
And I did not loose Any data from my apps I read sone one lost shealth data ,were you using ART runtime if so you will lose data when switching from ART to dalivk it wipes your cache

No it was not. I did not take update and even did not have any notification about and have same SE date as on pic you referring. Kernel was change.
11th May 2014, 05:00 PM |#29  
Flag atlantic city
Thanks Meter: 546

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

No it was not. I did not take update and even did not have any notification about and have same SE date as on pic you referring. Kernel was change.

Yes your right somehow I must have gotten that SE update because I had screen shots from like a week or more that I was looking back at, but good news is I was messing around with some things trying to flash some things to obtain root, they failed and it automatically did a factory reset, when it did I was still on new firmware but my SE was not updated had the old date and number.

SENT FROM DJMOUSE'S SM-G900A
11th May 2014, 06:02 PM |#30  
Flag Ajman
Thanks Meter: 442

Donate to Me
More
Any way to update if your not on atnt wireless. .

11th May 2014, 06:46 PM |#31  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycloak42

I postponed the update and when I woke up today the update was forced through. Not cool.

Happened to me too..I have no choice but to accept the update..damn you at&t

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)